Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I don’t think that statement is true, as it took I think 4 cycles during the last “attack” on my playthrough to get the item needed and I was checking them all before anything happened that would have destroyed it.

The rest of the attacks did have at least one needed item per cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
The pin that makes Raz dance got a laugh out of me during Cruller's mental mailroom thing. Listening to the very well voice-acted and heartfelt messages that Cruller tried to send, and halfway through the dialogue Raz is all "EH, EH EH, EH EH EH EEEEH".

In the end, I just had to un-equip it :lol:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CuwiKhons posted:

As an extreme introvert myself, I'm fine with being left alone for 99% of the time but sometimes you do feel the rare urge to interact with people, only now it's weird to do so because you've spent so long avoiding it. You don't want to the interaction to just be "wow, look who's finally coming around to talk to everyone," so you wait for people to come to you, only they don't.

Ouch, that hit way too close to home.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Otto talk Personally I'm really not sure where people are getting the "sociopath Otto" angle from, at all. Nothing about him really suggests that would be the case. There's nothing to suggest he doesn't care about other people, or is particularly manipulative or anything of the sort. If anything, given that the whole fight took place 20 years ago, he seems to be the most healthy of the bunch given that while he regrets things, he was able to move past it and not let it consume him. He also seems to be an introverted fellow who would prefer to tinker with machines all day, but that's okay. That's not any kind of pathology. He's still an active contributor to the psychonaut mission which is more than you can say for, well... any of the other Psychic Six, really, although we don't really have a good idea of how Truman is really doing since he spends the entire game out of commission.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Truman isn't one of the Psychic Six though

As for Otto he just came across as a dude who loves inventing stuff, has some regrets over the past but has moved on based on his understanding of events and has dedicated his life to improving various aspects of psychonauting. He has his own lab due to his pull and performance, and the dude seems happy to tinker in relative quiet and entertain a guest every once in a while

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Otto talk Personally I'm really not sure where people are getting the "sociopath Otto" angle from, at all. Nothing about him really suggests that would be the case. There's nothing to suggest he doesn't care about other people, or is particularly manipulative or anything of the sort. If anything, given that the whole fight took place 20 years ago, he seems to be the most healthy of the bunch given that while he regrets things, he was able to move past it and not let it consume him. He also seems to be an introverted fellow who would prefer to tinker with machines all day, but that's okay. That's not any kind of pathology. He's still an active contributor to the psychonaut mission which is more than you can say for, well... any of the other Psychic Six, really, although we don't really have a good idea of how Truman is really doing since he spends the entire game out of commission.

Truman was never a member of the Psychic Six, you are thinking of Bob, his uncle.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
That post originally said ... of the other regular crew..., but then I edited part of it before posting to say the other thing and didn't go back and change the implication. Derp.

Point about Otto stands, I think.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I think I would definitely like a DLC mission focusing on, say, getting Helmut's body back.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I really hope if we get a sequel or dlc we finally get Bob and Helmut get to actually kiss. I think Double Fine is good for it and it makes 100% why it didn't happen cause not his lips and all that, but it's a thing you see so rarely in games and their relationship is so sweet.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

CoolCab posted:

the line i wasn't expecting them to get away with was "yeah, they used to get high up there". definitely would not have made it in the original, had a moment to go gently caress me has the world changed in sixteen years.

There's a joke in the hotel room where if you talk to Lizzie and Adam a bunch Raz mentions that his parents' favorite drink is a "Tumble in the Hay," which they would often sneak off to have after shows. That one caught me off-guard big time and got a big laugh. Also good on Raz's parents for a healthy amount of fuckin'.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
also on Otto there is at least one person he probably talks to besides Raz, Sasha, and possibly occasional check-ins from Hollis and Truman:

Gisu, since he's apparently her mentor (see: the Psychoseismometer sidequest she gives you)

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

kidcoelacanth posted:

There's a joke in the hotel room where if you talk to Lizzie and Adam a bunch Raz mentions that his parents' favorite drink is a "Tumble in the Hay," which they would often sneak off to have after shows. That one caught me off-guard big time and got a big laugh. Also good on Raz's parents for a healthy amount of fuckin'.

It was "Tumble in the Nets" but yeah. Also, they have five kids so I don't doubt they're getting up to a lot of shenanigans.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

kidcoelacanth posted:

The family gets some good lines. Like, mid-game you find Dad trying to light a pinecone (With the intern that gives you the scavenger hunt asset recovery mission blowing smoke up his rear end for some reason) and Raz can give him some pointers.

"Picture the hottest thing you can imagine."
"I'll imagine your mother."

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I just learned today that when you're fighting a Judge, if you're as annoyed as I was having to use Mental Connection to interrupt attacks, psi-blast when they're vulnerable, dodge-combo in some punches after slowing them down, etc. to whittle down their life bar...

you can just telekinesis their mallet, throw it at them, and delete half their health bar. I think you get bonus damage if you pyrokinesis them first, since the mallet gets set on fire. The whole fight changes now that I know that, multiple-judge fights or even multiple-panic attack fights-with-a-judge are way easier knowing this.

the only bad enemy in this game is the enabler. There is no loving reason why a buff-role enemy should have an impossible-to-read melee attack, perfect psi-blast dodging, and can continue that perfect dodge after [b]i have set them on loving fire with pyrokinesis, causing them to run in panic like every other enemy I destroy with psi-blast after setting them on fire

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Still kinda miffed that there is absolutely no resolution for learning that "Nona" is actually the person that killed Augustus' parents/Raz's grandparents as well as a whole bunch of other people. Like the game just goes "Well, she's good now, let's just forget about the whole thing.

Also, for the enabler, just use time bubble to slow them down, can't dodge stuff then. Set them on fire as well for good measure.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

CoolCab posted:

the line i wasn't expecting them to get away with was "yeah, they used to get high up there". definitely would not have made it in the original, had a moment to go gently caress me has the world changed in sixteen years.

I'm pretty sure he clarifies it as "elevation" and not "drugs" in the next line, sadly.

Speaking of lines, has anyone else had a bug where lines of dialogue start and then immediately skip to the next one.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 5, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

FireWorksWell posted:

I'm pretty sure he clarifies it as "elevation" and not "drugs" in the next line, sadly.

:thejoke:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It’s the fact that his detachment isn’t just historical as others have suggested. Even in Ford’s memory vaults which show the opening of the Motherlobe, not long after the Maligula incident, the team all look morose but Otto is just as chuffed as can be. Now you can make the argument that he’s just more well balanced and that’s why he isn’t hung up on it 20 years later but even 20 years ago he seemed remarkably blase about the whole thing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Broken Cog posted:

Also, for the enabler, just use time bubble to slow them down, can't dodge stuff then. Set them on fire as well for good measure.

They absolutely can still dodge perfectly when time slowed, it sucks.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Broken Cog posted:

Still kinda miffed that there is absolutely no resolution for learning that "Nona" is actually the person that killed Augustus' parents/Raz's grandparents as well as a whole bunch of other people. Like the game just goes "Well, she's good now, let's just forget about the whole thing.

Again, if you talk to Ford and Nona post game, they explicitly say THIS IS a conversation that is going to happen, as well as the fact that they're going to have to pull Augustus aside and clear the air/find some kind of resolution that everyone can agree to. It is not being ignored or disregarded, the communications and steps taken just have not happened yet because the post-game is literally the next morning after. Obviously Ford has a pretty hefty bias here, but I doubt that Truman's just gonna ignore it either considering even he wasn't aware that Lucy was still alive

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mix. posted:

Again, if you talk to Ford and Nona post game, they explicitly say THIS IS a conversation that is going to happen, as well as the fact that they're going to have to pull Augustus aside and clear the air/find some kind of resolution that everyone can agree to. It is not being ignored or disregarded, the communications and steps taken just have not happened yet because the post-game is literally the next morning after. Obviously Ford has a pretty hefty bias here, but I doubt that Truman's just gonna ignore it either considering even he wasn't aware that Lucy was still alive

I'll believe it when I see it. This isn't just a family matter either, Lucy is borderline a war criminal.
Where do they even hang out postgame? I couldn't find them.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

maybe otto's just a fuckin chill dude

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

I'll believe it when I see it. This isn't just a family matter either, Lucy is borderline a war criminal.

Same place they were before you completed the Green Needle Gulch minds, that building over the water by the Heptadome

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

thecluckmeme posted:

Same place they were before you completed the Green Needle Gulch minds, that building over the water by the Heptadome

Yeah, I found them, and it really feels like they are trying to handwave the whole thing away. Not a fan of the direction they took that.

Edit: It worked for Oleander in the first game, because he was basically just a comic book villain, stealing kid's brains and putting them in psychic battle tanks, and more importantly: He didn't actually kill anyone.
Lucy is just a mass murderer, there is nothing funny about her at all.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 5, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, I found them, and it really feels like they are trying to handwave the whole thing away. Not a fan of the direction they took that.

Edit: It worked for Oleander in the first game, because he was basically just a comic book villain, stealing kid's brains and putting them in psychic battle tanks, and more importantly: He didn't actually kill anyone.
Lucy is just a mass murderer, there is nothing funny about her at all.

No, she's a victim as much as anyone, did you not pay attention? She went to war at a time when she was a psychologically-fragile and inexperienced young woman, and the Gsar turned her into Maligula. She had no control of what she was doing, she was overwhelmed by the inner aspect of her flight-or-fight response running free.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Oleander was also suffering from massive amounts of psitanium exposure which makes unstable people more unstable.

The history tree log in the first game mentions that the lake used to be a town before it was flooded by the government because most of the town was going nuts.

Grwt place for a summer camp

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

where do bob and helmut hang out in the postgame? Or did they already leave on holiday?

Also, after the second level (hollis' gamble stravaganza), Raz has a conversation about what he has learned from that escapade. Does Hollis have a different answer for each option? The game autosaved before I could reload, I'm curious which dialogue choices she considers a 'good' answer.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, she's a victim as much as anyone, did you not pay attention? She went to war at a time when she was a psychologically-fragile and inexperienced young woman, and the Gsar turned her into Maligula. She had no control of what she was doing, she was overwhelmed by the inner aspect of her flight-or-fight response running free.

Yeah, that's Ford excusing her actions, and it's a really lovely excuse for what she did.

Edit: it could work if she didn't murder a bunch of people, killing peaceful protesters and whatever. It has too many bad connections to real life to deserve a redemption arch.

Edit2: It's kinda like saying "My actions doesn't matter because I was on drugs."

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 5, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, that's Ford excusing her actions, and it's a really lovely excuse for what she did.

Edit: it could work if she didn't murder a bunch of people, killing peaceful protesters and whatever. It has too many bad connections to real life to deserve a redemption arch.

She demonstrably had no control over what she was doing with Nona overwhelmed by Maligula inside her own head.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She demonstrably had no control over what she was doing with Nona overwhelmed by Maligula inside her own head.

Which is the most artificial identity here? Maligula, or Nona?

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
It sounds like a lot of this can be discussed and resolved if a third game would take place in Grulovia. Involve Raz’s family, have Nona make amends with her home country and get Ford to realize the extent of what he’s done, find Helmut’s body… I’d be down for a Grulovia adventure. Probably wouldn’t have to be any different from the woodsy forests of the first two games anyway.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

We don't know the 'real' conditions she was in 20 years ago. What we do know is during the confrontation with Maligula, and there we do see two personality aspects fight each other, one a bloodthirsty rampaging monster and the other a protector of her (raised) family and her old friends.

We do not know if Ford is at all speaking the truth about the origin of Maligula (the Czar or their experiments or something else) but there being two extremely conflicting personalities is clearly true.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Broken Cog posted:

The following statements are not entirely connected one to the other because it's very late in my day and I can't string my disparate thoughts together well.

Maligula is a war criminal, Lucy is a victim who was exposed to a lot of psychic trauma while in a very psychically sensitive state, and dissociated into a magnification of the fight-or-flight reflex to protect herself, before having her brain literally blasted into another shape by the coward Ford Cruller.

The people who need to be punished for Maligula's actions are, in order, Maligula (Who has been), the Gzar of Grulovia, Gristol (Both of whom have gotten off very lightly), and Ford Cruller (Whose escape into fragmented personalities may or may not constitute sufficient self-inflicted punishment). Lucy comes a distant fifth at best.

While the similarity is tenuous at best, attempting to prosecute Nona for Maligula's actions would be similar to prosecuting Truman for Gristol's actions while in his skull.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Edit2: It's kinda like saying "My actions doesn't matter because I was on drugs."

it's not an "excuse," you dingbat. she'd had her psyche literally drilled open just before going off to try and use her superhero clout to quell unrest in her home nation, and the vulnerability of those experiments plus the trauma of what her superiors made her do caused a psychotic break that led to maligula's takeover. yes, there's some psychic science mumbo jumbo mixed in there, but the game takes sufficient measures to clarify that "maligula" is a runaway id that hijacked lucrecia's mind after a severely traumatic moment

e: and you haven't even bothered with postgame yet? go find augustus at the top of the QA's waterfall, that gives plenty of closure about his feelings towards nona

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 5, 2021

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

double nine posted:

where do bob and helmut hang out in the postgame? Or did they already leave on holiday?

They're in the Nerve Center.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Here's my question

What does it matter? What purpose this thirst for meaningless retribution? They're both doddering old people now. Their lives are over and ruined by their own actions. In Lucy's case, her own accidents and her subsequent coercion by her head of state. What exactly are you looking to accomplish here and why?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dareon posted:

The following statements are not entirely connected one to the other because it's very late in my day and I can't string my disparate thoughts together well.

While the similarity is tenuous at best, attempting to prosecute Nona for Maligula's actions would be similar to prosecuting Truman for Gristol's actions while in his skull.

or to use a more pertinent example: if forsyth had gambled away the rest of the mother lobe's funding while sasha and milla got mulched by security, then who's to blame - her, or raz?

that's the irony at the core of psychonauts 2's story and the biggest connecting thread between the game's otherwise pretty disparate halves. raz spends the opening act getting a hard lesson in the responsibility that comes with being a psychonaut, only to learn that the psychic 7 were doing this poo poo to each other constantly, with even more disastrous results

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Oxxidation posted:

it's not an "excuse," you dingbat. she'd had her psyche literally drilled open just before going off to try and use her superhero clout to quell unrest in her home nation, and the vulnerability of those experiments plus the trauma of what her superiors made her do caused a psychotic break that led to maligula's takeover. yes, there's some psychic science mumbo jumbo mixed in there, but the game takes sufficient measures to clarify that "maligula" is a runaway id that hijacked lucrecia's mind after a severely traumatic moment

Yes yes, trauma excuses horrible actions, age resolves all sins. The issue I have is that Lucy's (or Maligula's or Nona's) actions shouldn't be excusable with "Psychic mumbo jumbo" or whatever. They were legitimately horrible actions that hit too close to reality. As I said, there is nothing funny about her, it's like saying that someone should be excused for murder if they did under inflence of drugs.
And Ford should definitely answer for what he did as well, but it really doesn't seem like it's moving in that direction at all.
Guess it's up to Truman, he seems like the only somewhat sensible person at that whole agency.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Here's my question

What does it matter? What purpose this thirst for meaningless retribution? They're both doddering old people now. Their lives are over and ruined by their own actions. In Lucy's case, her own accidents and her subsequent coercion by her head of state. What exactly are you looking to accomplish here and why?

Some resolution. Right now we have "We'll talk about it *wink wink*" from Ford, and "I need some time to think about it" from Augustus. Really nothing big, though Augustus is probably the biggest victim in all of this.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

I feel like this is an incredibly harsh interpretation given if anything, the Lucy/Maligula stuff is an analog to a dissociative disorder. She literally created another personality through trauma.

e: As well, The protesters we -know- she killed, was purely by accident, and is what triggered her break. You can maybe argue that she should have to answer for that, but again, she was being manipulated by the Gzar.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Yes yes, trauma excuses horrible actions, age resolves all sins. The issue I have is that Lucy's (or Maligula's or Nona's) actions shouldn't be excusable with "Psychic mumbo jumbo" or whatever. They were legitimately horrible actions that hit too close to reality. As I said, there is nothing funny about her, it's like saying that someone should be excused for murder if they did under inflence of drugs.
And Ford should definitely answer for what he did as well, but it really doesn't seem like it's moving in that direction at all.
Guess it's up to Truman, he seems like the only somewhat sensible person at that whole agency.

Some resolution. Right now we have "We'll talk about it *wink wink*" from Ford, and "I need some time to think about it" from Augustus. Really nothing big, though Augustus is probably the biggest victim in all of this.

Kinda dodging the question here. What kind of resolution? Does it not count as resolution if it's not the kind you want because that seems to be what you're implying.