Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

extremely as advertised thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The "ah-hem" horn. I like that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

A second 1/4 mile time has hit the building

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

I miss my Forester, lol.

Mini had a prank ad for something called a "Hey horn" that was a clown horn or something.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I bought a very slow performance EV with the hopes that it may get faster someday. I have faith in Ford Motor Company.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

bird with big dick posted:

I bought a very slow performance EV with the hopes that it may get faster someday. I have faith in Ford Motor Company.

Wooo really nice! I like that blue.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

That looks really good, congrats

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Did they say it was going to improve with software or something?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

They haven’t said poo poo yet

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Well, do you like it so far?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It’s great other than it really does run out of steam quick past 70 or so.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Just like the fox bodies! See, it’s a Mustang!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Congrats! Cool color.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Ok Comboomer posted:

:vince:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

It’s not an accident, it’s motoring heritage.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ok Comboomer posted:

Oh god drat

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

That really is a beautiful color. Congratulations on your new car!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I really like that color. Can’t wait to see one of those in that color in person.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

That is a nice color. When I got my Mach-E in March I was ever so slightly tempted to go get a First Edition just to be able to get that color. But $3k was a little too much of a premium.

I hope you like it. I know I like my Mach-E.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Congrats! Great color, like everyone said. Hope it isn’t slow forever.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I would have a tough time choosing between that blue and the “cyber orange”. The red is too dark for me.

E: actually looking at other pics not on the website it doesn’t look as dark red! Man it would be a tough choice. Triples. Triples is safe :haw:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah the Mach-e looks good in that blue. Great job.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

priznat posted:

I would have a tough time choosing between that blue and the “cyber orange”. The red is too dark for me.

E: actually looking at other pics not on the website it doesn’t look as dark red! Man it would be a tough choice. Triples. Triples is safe :haw:

If the American config is the same as the Norwegian one, blue and orange are only for the GT. The others get red or 5 shades of grey. Red looks good in person IMO.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Doesn't seem like something that'd be fixable in software. That's the reason the e-tron GT and Taycan have a two-speed gearbox: To facilitate better acceleration at high speeds.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

Doesn't seem like something that'd be fixable in software. That's the reason the e-tron GT and Taycan have a two-speed gearbox: To facilitate better acceleration at high speeds.

That's assuming it's giving max amps to the motor, it might not be. It probably does.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fame Douglas posted:

The MYP doesn’t have a two speed gearbox though and it does a lot better. Even the regular Mach e does better. It could be it’s still not fixable through software due to some other physical limitation (cooling, motor controller, whatever) but it seems like this is more than just “electric motors run out of steam at high rpm.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Didn't Tesla come out with an update a while ago that made some of their cars faster? Even before the one that they charge 2 grand for?

The other thing is that IIRC the regular AWD mach has a ~280 horse rear motor and a ~80 horse front motor. The GT just doubles up on the rear motor meaning it could make 560 horses instead of the rated 480. I think the motors have more to give, whether or not Ford will let them give it to due battery degradation concerns or other physical limitations of the car is another matter.

Maybe I'm stupidly optimistic but the fact that they're trapping slower than the regular Mach makes me think it's something they can fix, and the continued media embargo makes me think they will fix it. There's not a lot of point in the media embargo still being active if the end result is gonna be "lol yep we just engineered a turd sorry we'll try better next time."

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Didn't Tesla come out with an update a while ago that made some of their cars faster? Even before the one that they charge 2 grand for?
Yeah, all Model 3s are now about 10% faster than they were at launch because there were a couple free 5% power increases in like 2019 or so. Newer ones obviously ship with the increased power from the start since they have the newer firmware already, but even a 2017 Model 3 is just as fast as one rolling off the assembly line today (matching the same build anyway, a LR-RWD won't be as fast as a LR-AWD for obvious reasons).

Although the official power numbers from Tesla are also pretty conservative, they actually put out up to like 15% more than it says on the sticker.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The MYP doesn’t have a two speed gearbox though and it does a lot better. Even the regular Mach e does better. It could be it’s still not fixable through software due to some other physical limitation (cooling, motor controller, whatever) but it seems like this is more than just “electric motors run out of steam at high rpm.

Ya, if the ElectroStang GT is really making 480hp like it says on the tin, it should be trapping at LEAST 108mph, and more likely quite a bit faster, depending on how big the driver is. Trapping at ~100mph means it’s only making ~300ish horsepower. It seems like it’s launching awful soft (for an AWD electric with 634lbft on tap) as well, which will beat the living hell out of the ET.

There’s either software fuckery afoot, or Ford hosed the proverbial goat. I suspect the former.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Charged at my first public charger. There were two ID-4s and a Jag there and only half the chargers worked. Went to 80% quick and then slowed way down but I didn't really want to charge past 80% anyway. Do most people just keep their max set around 80 for daily driving? I know I'll never use more than even half the range just commuting and running around town.

Currently charging off a wall outlet at 3 miles per hour. 14-50 is getting installed Tuesday. EA is free all weekend though so nice timing.

Picked up groceries and was gonna put them in the frunk but it was really warm in there so I just put them in the back.

0-60 is insane. It feels like your eyeballs are being flattened against the back of your sockets. And it does it with so little fanfare. Getting my GT500 to get to 60 in ~4.5 seconds involves a lot of engine noise and tire squeal and skill and shifting and attracts the attention of every cop in a 2 mile radius. Getting this thing to get to 60 in ~3.7 seconds involves hitting the go pedal and trying not to let the G forces pull your hands off the steering wheel.

It's nice being back in a modern car. Since my 2017 F-150 got totaled I've been in my 2014 Accord Hybrid and it doesn't even have blind spot monitoring let alone 360 cameras or ACC or lane keep assist. Real motoring in the dark ages type stuff. Tried out the hands free "Blue Cruise" on I-80 and it worked well. It successfully avoided sending me into a gore point while the highway was curving left and an exit was going straight/right. Tried out ACC in stop and go traffic with my foot hovering constantly over the brake pedal and it worked fine but not sure I'll use it due to being scared. My truck had ACC but only down to like 10 mph it would shut off and make you take over, and my wife's car has ACC but it's a manual, so this is a first for me having a car that will take it all the way to a stop. It makes you press the resume button to start moving again after a full stop, do all cars do that?

The hands on cruise also does a really good job (lane centering, taking curves, etc). So well that I never have to apply any torque to the steering wheel which makes it think my hand isn't on the steering wheel which makes it yell at me so I have to apply some unneeded torque and then it shuts up. Seems like there should be a better way to do this.

The seats look ugly/stupid/weird in pictures but look better in person IMO. They're pretty comfortable and will become more so if I lose a few pounds. They're "sporty" in that they have more bolstering than a Camry seat but not to the point of being a factory Recaro or similar.

So far the glass roof is great. I'm still a little bit worried due to being a very fair skinned bird but its good so far. Some sun is being blocked by wildfire smoke right now though.

I don't care if this thing is a little slower than a MYP but its 1/4 trap speed is just embarrassing (and its 1/8th trap also tbh, basically everything past 60). It's not like this thing is only a turd past every legal speed limit in the country, either. The turdiness starts well into normal highway driving range. I drive from Reno to Vegas a lot and it's 6.5 hours of two lane highway and you're constantly passing motor homes and semis and 50ish to 90ish performance is extremely relevant. It's not like this thing is a 1986 Toyota Tercel past 60. It's not so slow that its gonna make it unsafe or impossible to pass stuff, but its noticeable and you'll definitely have to pick your passing moments more carefully.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MrYenko posted:

There’s either software fuckery afoot, or Ford hosed the proverbial goat. I suspect the former.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

There's absolutely software fuckery happening but I'm also not convinced it'll get fixed to everyone's satisfaction due to the Battery Degradation Engineer or whatever saying "nope that'll cause too many warranty claims" or something. I'm a Ford homer but I'm not totally delusional.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lol

I’m no Ford fan, but without specific evidence I’m not buying that they hosed the goat quite that hard. Since the first time slip was apparently a great big fat guy who didn’t even bother to use track mode, I’ll wait to throw stones. Also, yours is a loving fantastic color.

Content: reiterating my desire for Congress to adjust the federal EV tax credit. If they give me basically any federal tax advantage, I’m trading in my 3 for a 3P essentially instantly. The used car market is just so loving broken right now.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Ford recommends charging to 90% and only going to 100 if you’re about to make a long trip

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tesla will let you go to 100% but it's called "trip mode" and after a couple days you get a phone notification saying "I turned it back down to 90% so your battery lasts longer than a Leaf".

Both Teslas I have owned go from 0% to about 80% really quickly, and then slow way the gently caress down. Like, I would say 80-100% takes almost as long as 0-80% on the L3 DC chargers. On road trips we hardly ever go up to 100%, you just charge up to what you need to make it to the next charger. Much faster this way.

I mean hell even my cell phone charges fast up to about 75% and then slows way down.

Lithium batteries don't like to just hang out at 100%. The only things I have that blithely let you charge up to 100% as fast as possible are cheap-rear end things like these $25 wireless earbuds, and the god damned Leaf.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Keeping lithium ion batteries in the 20-80% range is the best for longevity, in cars as well as cell phones and everything else. Also, slow-charging, because batteries don't like to get hot.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
There are tons of graphs of the charging curves for EVs and especially Teslas online available from a quick google search that show the relationship between SoC and charging speed.

The best physical analogy I've come up with in the past for batteries and charging rates is not to compare them with fuel tanks that fill up linearly, but instead with compressed air tanks (the more full it is, the harder it is to squeeze more air in).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Or when you pay for $40 (or whatever volume) of gas and the pump dribbles in the last couple liters to make sure its exactly that amount. I mean, it's not like that at all, but it's something relatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Maybe it's more like the Big Texan on I-40, where you get a 72 ounce steak free if you eat the entire thing in under an hour. Most people could eat 70% of a 6-pound steak pretty quickly. But that last 30% is really gonna slow you down. And the last 10% is a killer.

And don't forget you gotta eat the fries and gristle too.