Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

thiccabod posted:

Personally I'm still waiting for the Mad Max Hellscape version of America that 90% of cpam was insistent we'd be living in by easter of 2020. When I do get to shoot my neighbor in defense of my beans???

One of the few remaining interesting political moments will be if the there can be a floyd or Ferguson style protest under Biden. Ferguson happened back under the assumption of perpetual democratic presidents with Hillary inevitably following Obama. I don't think there will be any large white turnout under Biden no matter what (because otherwise Trump can win in 2024!!!!!!!!!!!!!) but we will see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Is this a thing that is important to people? All of my great grandparents died before I was born. Am I missing out on some blessed relationship that I could have had with an 85 year old woman when I was 6 months old?

well the kid is four and her great grandmother experienced a lot of tragedy in her life, being born in Alsace before world war 2 kicked off, so it’s more a desire that my grandmother have some beautiful memories which are literally now totally out of reach.

I’m sure your grandparents would have enjoyed meeting you even if you couldn’t remember it.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Caseman posted:

Jesus how old is he? That's wild

Thanks guys, I've been following along via his wife's updates on FB, and he definitely beat the odds. He's 41 or 42 and was in super good shape before this. He's not the type of person to be a proud anti-vaxxer at all, I honestly think that covid hadn't made much of an impact on him or his family before all of this, so he didn't prioritize getting vaccinated and wasn't really concerned about it at all. I think there's a lot of people out there like this; they're not malicious, but they won't take it seriously until it becomes personal.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!

just lie ya fool

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Strep Vote posted:

JFC I'm so sorry.

Thanks, I do appreciate that, problem is stuff is just getting so bad and honestly part of hospital culture is just that nurses get assaulted a lot and nothing ever happens. Hospital policy is generally to never call the police or even actively discourage nurses from filing charges if assaulted. They also get blamed a lot. Case in point, (and holy poo poo this doctor better hope I never meet him), one of my wife's friends was assaulted really bad back in March while a doctor was in the room. After she was knocked unconscious the guy went after the doctor who literally didn't even call for help when the nurse was getting assaulted. He then filed a safety net against the nurse for safety reasons (he wrote that she should have controlled the patient better or called for help since it wasn't his responsibility to do so. He also wrote "when his hand grabbed my slender neck I was so scared I was about to die" but didn't even mention how the nurse was lying on the floor bleeding profusely from a head wound)

In short gently caress everyone and gently caress a culture where nurses can be abused at will by patients and doctors.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Omnicarus posted:

My sister in law is an X-ray tech that's almost 8 months pregnant and refuses to get the vaccine because she doesn't trust potential side effect reporting. Her hospital told her that she had to get jabbed and she flipped out and filed an HR complaint, threatened legal action against the hospital, and threatened to quit on the spot. Now she has to get the vaccine within two weeks of giving birth late October. My brother and the rest of my family have done everything we could to get her to change her mind but she is utterly convinced the vaccine will make her miscarry and shuts down any talk of getting any vaccine hard. We're now just feeling like every day she goes into work is playing Russian roulette. I don't have much of a point with this post outside of expressing frustration.

we have a similar situation with pregnant family here who have been spending too much time around antivaxxers and are now repeating the “can’t live in fear” line

just feels like a matter of time

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Lovelyn posted:

Show us the cat(s)

Here is Ragnar not understanding how tongue works

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

this except it'll be jewish weather machines at fault

remember when said NOAA was the last remaining bastion of sanity, guess what happens when there's a climate change denialist put in charge in 2024 and tasked with making sure everyone stays calm and embiggens number

remember how the floods hit NYC and everyone was caught flat footed because nobody paid attention to the NOAA yelling ahead of time anyways

the future is going to be worse and more incredibly stupid than you think

Covid really was the trial run for climate change. And in the scope of climate change, currently we're in the first little wave of infections from spring 2020.

Pingui posted:

For all the "we have to learn to live with the virus" and "it's endemic", in the very best case scenario, we can't be more than a couple of months out from this being patently absurd to even the densest of people. "No one could have known" only goes so far, so what is the next step here for the people in charge? Anyone care to guess?
A sudden burst of compassion, empathy and willingness to do the right thing to protect people?

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.
https://youtu.be/pTfbPrRZYHs

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Rubby posted:

Here is Ragnar not understanding how tongue works

This is precisely how tongues work, great job Ragnar!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Zurtilik posted:

Close Biden!

mods?

this is sacrilege

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Omnicarus posted:

My sister in law is an X-ray tech that's almost 8 months pregnant and refuses to get the vaccine because she doesn't trust potential side effect reporting. Her hospital told her that she had to get jabbed and she flipped out and filed an HR complaint, threatened legal action against the hospital, and threatened to quit on the spot. Now she has to get the vaccine within two weeks of giving birth late October. My brother and the rest of my family have done everything we could to get her to change her mind but she is utterly convinced the vaccine will make her miscarry and shuts down any talk of getting any vaccine hard. We're now just feeling like every day she goes into work is playing Russian roulette. I don't have much of a point with this post outside of expressing frustration.

What about all the pregnant women that have died along with their fetus or the ones who died leaving behind a newborn they had never met? Seems like a no brainer!

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

:gerty:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Iverron posted:

we have a similar situation with pregnant family here who have been spending too much time around antivaxxers and are now repeating the “can’t live in fear” line

just feels like a matter of time

It's basically like having a family member joining a cult.

But instead of communion each week it's apple flavor horse paste.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Lastgirl posted:

mods?

this is sacrilege

Pandora’s Biden

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

Caseman posted:

drat they were only doing $750 at my wife's hospital and it seemed to do the trick, but I think someone smart saw this wave coming so there were a ton of travel nurses coming in already

but even fully staffed its like a loving warzone every day so lol, lmao

They offered an extra $900 and no one picked up so they raised it to $1,000

Edit: being down 6 loving ICU nurses, gently caress

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
apply flavor paaaste

boots with the fuuuur

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Asproigerosis posted:

was it coincidence that unemployment ends on labor day?

after snoo

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Zurtilik posted:

Close Biden!

Watch out, he's right behind you!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

How long before hospitals decide to just say gently caress it and stop covid patients from clogging up their ICUs?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

B-Rock452 posted:

Of course she did. It's just a loving mess though. Here are the more recent incidents that occured.

A woman attacked a hospital security guard after being told she can't go back with her unvaccinated husband who was trying really hard to die. Ended up biting his ear off while two other guards stood by and a group of nurses and doctors pulled her off. (the security staff said they couldn't intervene)

My wife was directly threatened while working triage, she kicked a guy out for harassing her and the guy said he was going to come back and murder her. He then stood outside on the sidewalk staring at her for 4 hours. Hospital security said they couldn't do anything because he was outside. University police said they couldn't do anything cause it was on hospital grounds. I ended up having to come back into the city and drive her to her car since she was so freaked out. Seriously gently caress everything right now.

Jesus Christ.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

etalian posted:

the blood of christ [gargling fishtank cleaner]
the body of christ [boofing horse paste]
in the name of the father, train by day joe rogan podcast by night, all day-men

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Lovelyn posted:

The fun thing that most people don't think about with situations like this is when you're this short-staffed it's obviously dangerous for patients, but if something gets missed by a nurse because they're overworked do you think it's the hospital that suffers? Of course not, it's the nurse who loses their license! Every single dangerous thing a nurse does they put their career on the line. It's great!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

87 upvotes on the idea of pulling unvaccinated people out of hospitals. there's going to be a major incident where it happens as triage gets worse and more common

yeah I mean... what else do you want them to do

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

jetz0r posted:

Covid really was the trial run for climate change. And in the scope of climate change, currently we're in the first little wave of infections from spring 2020.

:stonklol:

Iverron
May 13, 2012

etalian posted:

their SO that we’re closer to is zombie levels of beaten down about it, I can’t imagine

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

One of the few remaining interesting political moments will be if the there can be a floyd or Ferguson style protest under Biden. Ferguson happened back under the assumption of perpetual democratic presidents with Hillary inevitably following Obama. I don't think there will be any large white turnout under Biden no matter what (because otherwise Trump can win in 2024!!!!!!!!!!!!!) but we will see

i wonder if there will be a organized labor flashpoint too. like if any of the various Amazon efforts coalesce into a sustained strike. there's already loads of labor activity happening across the country but the lame stream media won't care until it effects NYC.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Also means natural immunity is loving meaningless lol

Natural immunity not being long-lasting was written on the CDC website like a year ago, it's just D&D goons that would yell at you for pointing that out and acting like there weren't already tons of cases of reinfections.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
I remember back in March 2020 I was talking to my child brother who kept saying COVID was just the flu. I predicted 500k dead and thought that was a tragedy. We're gonna pass a million by Christmas.

With numbers now being totally hosed by the Biden administration there's no way to know how bad it really is except by the fact that when I go out in public almost everywhere is dead.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Lovelyn posted:

What sorta hours did you work pre-pandemic and are you working any more hours now?

Have they raised your pay at all (like for normal shifts, not picking up these extra $1K bonus shifts)?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

ITS A TRANSMISSIBLE VIRUS JUST EVRETUL E STOMP INTERACTING WITH ONE ANOTHER FOR LIKE A GODDAMN WEEK WHAT THE gently caress IS EVEN HAPPRNING

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i still can't believe that "open biden" is an actual quote, and every time i remember it makes me want to kill myself

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

B-Rock452 posted:

Of course she did. It's just a loving mess though. Here are the more recent incidents that occured.

A woman attacked a hospital security guard after being told she can't go back with her unvaccinated husband who was trying really hard to die. Ended up biting his ear off while two other guards stood by and a group of nurses and doctors pulled her off. (the security staff said they couldn't intervene)

My wife was directly threatened while working triage, she kicked a guy out for harassing her and the guy said he was going to come back and murder her. He then stood outside on the sidewalk staring at her for 4 hours. Hospital security said they couldn't do anything because he was outside. University police said they couldn't do anything cause it was on hospital grounds. I ended up having to come back into the city and drive her to her car since she was so freaked out. Seriously gently caress everything right now.

what in the gently caress is wrong with security there. loving useless

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

In Training posted:

i wonder if there will be a organized labor flashpoint too. like if any of the various Amazon efforts coalesce into a sustained strike. there's already loads of labor activity happening across the country but the lame stream media won't care until it effects NYC.

depends on how hardcore covid gets with bigger waves because they're being aggressively lovely in a stubborn way about open biden

and yes, NYC is the seat of capitalism, the de facto capital. There were already laborers organizing mass protests in the streets that were not covered by the media because of Afghanistan, so it'd have to be so bad that they're forced a coverage

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I thought we were going to have like 3.3 million in the US dead within like a year. Which might make me sound like the real doomer but I thought it was going to kill quick and burn itself out. Now it's going to kill 5 million over 6 years.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I think only something like a national education, Healthcare or Transporarion worker strike would get the kind of press to be a daily talking point.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Fireside Nut posted:

what in the gently caress is wrong with security there. loving useless

if the guy was harassing a male member of the staff he'd have been in jail within the hour

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

in this analogy, New Orleans is NYC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Foo Diddley posted:

i still can't believe that "open biden" is an actual quote, and every time i remember it makes me want to kill myself

I didn’t know that until it got reposted somewhat recently in the thread. that was a very sharp crack/ping to learn it was a real quote