Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Scourge of Armagon is fine, but Dissolution of Eternity is clearly better. Fight me.

I disagree with you but both of them tried to do similar things and did them badly that its hard for me to get very worked up for either one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Rocket Pan posted:

More progress in Doom3 VR, I finally have the BFG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpWAg9vAUx8

Dang it why'd that have to be PS4 only, I want those SFX so bad :negative:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Termination Central in Quake 64 feels so barren and lifeless because basically of the crate geometry is gone. The final couple of rooms which are cramped dark shootouts with quakes unsung enemy roster are just totally open with you mulching them, especially if you use any of the guns you've gotten at this point because there are no episode resets in Quake 64.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Rocket Pan posted:

I was really tempted to buy this but every review I’ve seen says the VR experience is, as the title says, disorienting.

https://youtu.be/V2GW4fUOkBo

That said if it goes on sale for like $10 I’m buying it.

*edit*

Of course as soon as I post this I check the PS Store and it is on sale for $10 so, as a man of my word, I’ll buy and post my thoughts here lol

(I don’t have an AIM tho and don’t intend to buy one )

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP1003-CUSA23402_00-DOOM3VR000000000/

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 5, 2021

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Rocket Pan posted:

I love how it immediately shows of one of Doom3's biggest failings: the 99% predictable and counterable encounter design, which saps almost all the scare factor — the very thing it's entirely built around providing — out of the game once you've seen it fir the first four or five times. :eng99:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm not much of a fan of nuDOOM's takes on the monsters but they are godlike compared to Doom 3's.

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

Was walking through my neighborhood in Oregon and I saw a maybe 17 year old kid with a Quake logo hat. I would have stopped him and excitedly shared my love of Quake but I was with my wife and newborn and didn’t want to embarrass her.

May boomer shooters live on forever. God bless.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

is it easy enough to set up GZDoom with a controller? Basically I want to stick an old laptop behind my tv and use it to play old shooters to tide me over until the steam decks come out.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

is it easy enough to set up GZDoom with a controller? Basically I want to stick an old laptop behind my tv and use it to play old shooters to tide me over until the steam decks come out.
Yeah, GZDoom has full DirectInput and Xinput support. You can just bind actions to controller buttons and triggers like you would any other key or mouse button, and there's a separate Controller Options menu for handling what the sticks do and their sensitivity.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

GZDoom has support for direct Imput and Ximput. I used a Dualshock 4 with GZDoom and worked fine (and with old rear end controllers too). Just go to the controls menu and bind stuff there.

Edit: beaten by seconds :argh:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

amazing, thanks all :worship:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

meta² posted:

Was walking through my neighborhood in Oregon and I saw a maybe 17 year old kid with a Quake logo hat. I would have stopped him and excitedly shared my love of Quake but I was with my wife and newborn and didn’t want to embarrass her.

Just do what i do and yell hell yeah nice [item]

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

i know it's been answered already but i pretty much exclusively play with a controller (first a ds4, now xbone) and besides tweaking sensitivity and dead zone a tad it works great

one thing i would recommend is searching the zdoom projects forum for the weapon wheel mod. really helps imo

site fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 5, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think I’ll have to go wired, there’s bizarre input lag using an Xbox controller over Bluetooth on my older MacBookPro running Windows. It’s fine for a few seconds and then it just stops working.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Have you updated the firmware on the controller? You need the Xbox Accessories app from the MS store

BT is iffy on the Xbox pads in my experience (the official dongle is much better) but FW updates can help

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Playing Quake / Dimension of the Past and just went through a secret 'rune gate', and holy poo poo level it takes you to has a lot of enemies...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

repiv posted:

Have you updated the firmware on the controller? You need the Xbox Accessories app from the MS store

BT is iffy on the Xbox pads in my experience (the official dongle is much better) but FW updates can help

Yeah no luck unfortunately! I think I have a long microUSB wire around somewhere though!

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/gooddrcreative/status/1434540993873944577?s=21

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

meta² posted:

"Quake? Oh, you mean this hat's logo? I just borrowed it from my dad."

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

x-postin from the WAD thread,

Does anyone happen to have a pre-built version of ZDL for Mac? There's no DMG on any of the repos I could find, only source code.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ponzicar posted:

You’d be surprised how many younger people are into these games. I think Doom 2016 and Eternal brought them in.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
The Dread demo is finally released (it's in the video description) as well as an Atari ST port, in this video they show the game running on real hardware. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxhO1ZCOZ-M

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ponzicar posted:

"He's really into anything to do with the letter 'Q'"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ponzicar posted:

You’ll find out that there was a Fortnite promotion and he’ll do the dance right there in public while you cry.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Convex posted:

"He's really into anything to do with the letter 'Q'"

QuakeAnon.

WWG1WTA (where we go as one we telefrag all)

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Tippis posted:

I love how it immediately shows of one of Doom3's biggest failings: the 99% predictable and counterable encounter design, which saps almost all the scare factor — the very thing it's entirely built around providing — out of the game once you've seen it fir the first four or five times. :eng99:

There's an aspect my footage doesn't/can't show very well, and it's the feeling of a Cacodemon suddenly tagging you from behind. In VR, swinging around to have them suddenly very in your face (or any enemy really) is actually frightening.

The little sounds you usually heard and paid not much heed to, are now accompanied with the feeling that something could be right above you or behind and very much in your business.

And then there's lost souls and them charging at your face. I could see someone falling over from that.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

QuakeAnon.

WWG1WTA (where we go as one we telefrag all)

I'm very concerned about mass gibbings to harvest concentrated quad damage goo

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Rocket Pan posted:

There's an aspect my footage doesn't/can't show very well, and it's the feeling of a Cacodemon suddenly tagging you from behind. In VR, swinging around to have them suddenly very in your face (or any enemy really) is actually frightening.

The little sounds you usually heard and paid not much heed to, are now accompanied with the feeling that something could be right above you or behind and very much in your business.

And then there's lost souls and them charging at your face. I could see someone falling over from that.

I'm not big on Doom 3 but I played through the BFG edition for PCVR last year, and yeah cacodemons are spooky. Once you give everything depth, the sense of scale you get is really impressive. Even lost souls looked bigger than I thought they'd be. Also felt like I was able to stop and admire the graphics and atmosphere like I was a kid again, the architecture in the hell sections look amazing in VR.
And seeing all that cool stuff in D3 pushed me to jump through a few hoops to get a Quake 3 addon running in a Garry's Mod VR addon. VR nostalgia is real and it's awesome

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Kamrat posted:

The Dread demo is finally released (it's in the video description) as well as an Atari ST port, in this video they show the game running on real hardware. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxhO1ZCOZ-M
The graphics are amazingly readable considering the low resolution. It actually looks fun to play in general, which is honestly almost as much of an achievement as the strictly technical aspects.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

HolyKrap posted:

I'm not big on Doom 3 but I played through the BFG edition for PCVR last year, and yeah cacodemons are spooky. Once you give everything depth, the sense of scale you get is really impressive. Even lost souls looked bigger than I thought they'd be. Also felt like I was able to stop and admire the graphics and atmosphere like I was a kid again, the architecture in the hell sections look amazing in VR.
And seeing all that cool stuff in D3 pushed me to jump through a few hoops to get a Quake 3 addon running in a Garry's Mod VR addon. VR nostalgia is real and it's awesome

What VR headset do you use?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Carpator Diei posted:

The graphics are amazingly readable considering the low resolution. It actually looks fun to play in general, which is honestly almost as much of an achievement as the strictly technical aspects.

Yeah, with every update I'm even more excited, after trying out the demo myself (on an emulator) it's fun enough for a tech-demo but it's clear they need a proper level-designer for this, but I assume that's on it's way. :)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
You know, DOOM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-WLUdBmRic

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
what's really amusing about this is that it's only marginally worse than jupiter hell

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Doom 3 VR (PSVR) trip report.

I spent about 40mins with the game today and…I’m not sure I can play this.

I got motion sick. Not mild, but like “If I don’t stop playing right now I’m gonna puke” motion sickness. In fact as I sit here typing this on my phone I still feel woozy.

And I’m not one who gets motion sick, at least not easily. I’ve played shooters/ action games on PSVR before ( Blood and Truth, RE7, Farpoint) and felt fine. But once the action got going in Doom 3 VR I immediately felt incredibly disoriented.

May it was because I played sitting down, or had smooth scrolling on? Technically the game looks great (minus the characters having weird shrunken heads) and the mechanics seemed fine. I really want to play this game in VR, but I clearly can’t if it’s going to leave me feeling this hosed up each time :(

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

May it was because I played sitting down, or had smooth scrolling on? Technically the game looks great (minus the characters having weird shrunken heads) and the mechanics seemed fine. I really want to play this game in VR, but I clearly can’t if it’s going to leave me feeling this hosed up each time :(

I don't know if it was time, but when I went from sitting to standing I had a better time with it. It's not until I got past Alpha Labs that I started to get into the swing of things.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Can anyone comment on how different Doom3 VR is from Doom3 BFG w/ VR mod? Is BFG VR a complete game at this point? Last I tried it on a buddy's HMD (2015?) it was just a selection of maps, many of which just crashed the game & performance was pretty poo poo.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Do you still have a duck button in Doom3 VR, or do you physically duck with your neglected body? I wanna know if I could still dodge under the tentacle-armed commando's attack and deliver the buckshot straight to his fun area in VR because to this day everytime I pull that off on kb&m it feels like the pro-est poo poo.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

treat posted:

Can anyone comment on how different Doom3 VR is from Doom3 BFG w/ VR mod? Is BFG VR a complete game at this point? Last I tried it on a buddy's HMD (2015?) it was just a selection of maps, many of which just crashed the game & performance was pretty poo poo.

Doom 3 VR Edition, the PS4 VR game, is the entire Doom3 and the expansions in full VR. Built from BFG edition, it supports both the PSVR Aim controller and the gamepad with gyroscope support for weapon aiming. The weapons have been remodelled to better fit VR (you can view it at any angle), and the levels are seemingly unchanged from BFG edition.

I presume it's the full game, anyway. It does have all 3 games, and so far Doom 3 is intact.

Copper Vein posted:

Do you still have a duck button in Doom3 VR, or do you physically duck with your neglected body? I wanna know if I could still dodge under the tentacle-armed commando's attack and deliver the buckshot straight to his fun area in VR because to this day everytime I pull that off on kb&m it feels like the pro-est poo poo.

So you can physically duck in VR, the view model does lower and you can even go prone, though I've never tried this in combat though because I would find that exhausting. However as the enemies aim for centre-mass this may not be as effective as you'd think. Most I've ever done it with is sitting down while listening to PDAs.

Meanwhile more progress. Imps are fun to go Rambo against with a shotgun. I think they tightened the shotgun spread?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mf6CAkD0J4

And the Hell Guardian fight, just because.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3sEEjNJf1M

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 6, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, that shotty is way more damaging at range than its original incarnation. I don't know how you stand the comical over-use of the 'cha-chick' noise however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The hell levels in Doom3 are so much better than the rest of the game, honestly I wouldn't have minded a more survival horror based approach if only the first hour or so was techbase stuff and the rest went really wild.