Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
lmao

https://twitter.com/colinmccredie/status/1434134792195411973

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
My dog came from Spain so he can move through Europe better than I can.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
It's "funny" how, as a fairly casual observer of news these days, everything Brexit-related has clearly been of lesser importance in the media for many years straight now. For example this thing which apparently will gently caress everything up even harder from 1st October, so who's talking about it then? Less than a month to go, does anyone anywhere give a poo poo?

The goddamn media is such cancer, geez

Perhaps some speciality papers (FT maybe?) are actually writing about this poo poo, but apparently the rest of the nation will only find out after the fact

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

jaete posted:

It's "funny" how, as a fairly casual observer of news these days, everything Brexit-related has clearly been of lesser importance in the media for many years straight now. For example this thing which apparently will gently caress everything up even harder from 1st October, so who's talking about it then? Less than a month to go, does anyone anywhere give a poo poo?

Perhaps some speciality papers (FT maybe?) are actually writing about this poo poo, but apparently the rest of the nation will only find out after the fact

It's a NI news issue, so that's a double whammy of media not giving a poo poo

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The media doesn't care.

Hilarious though that Johnson has effectively ceded sovreignty over a chunk of UK territory to the EU in exchange for a food shortage, and his polling is still rock solid.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Based on Guardian & BBC headlines, the only thing that has warranted any amount of attention recently is Afghanistan.

My estimates for other headline topics

Plymouth shooting: 2 days
IPCC report: 1 day
COVID: Now and then, mainly on 12+ jabbing

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

jaete posted:

Brexit was always a useful cudgel to beat the left with, now that it can't be used for that who gives a gently caress if you can't get coleslaw for a few days.

Here's some rock solid advice for Keith

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1434443334421000193

1. Attack the Tories on Tax increases
2. But don't bash the tories, whatever you do.
3. Above all else, do nothing that actually has any substance.

Politics is just a game for pricks.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The September bounce back has begun

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1434449582927323146

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

This looks potentially interesting, and it’s out in a couple of weeks:

https://www.versobooks.com/books/3851-falling-down

quote:

Why is the Conservative Party on the verge of collapse?
Despite winning the December 2019 General Election, the Conservative parliamentary party is a moribund organisation. It no longer speaks for, nor to, the British people. Its leadership has sacrificed the long-standing commitment to the Union to “Get Brexit Done.” And beyond this, it is an intellectual vacuum, propped up by half-baked doctrine and magical thinking. Falling Down offers an explanation for how the Tory party came to position itself on the edge of the precipice and offers a series of answers to a question seldom addressed: as the party is poised to press the self-destruct button, what kind of role and future can it have?

This tipping point has been a long time coming and Burton-Cartledge offers critical analysis to this narrative. Since the era of Thatcherism, the Tories have struggled to find a popular vision for the United Kingdom. At the same time, their members have become increasingly old. Their values have not been adopted by the younger voters. The coalition between the countryside and the City interests is under pressure, and the latter is split by Brexit. The Tories are locked into a declinist spiral, and with their voters not replacing themselves the party is more dependent on a split opposition—putting into question their continued viability as the favoured vehicle of British capital.

God I want to believe but I am so broken at this point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am sure I saw that book a little while ago because the author was being a loving idiot on twitter.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

yung lambic posted:

I mean everything in that quote also applies to the current Labour party soooo

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Probably not taking into account all the secret racist gently caress the poor Tory voters of all ages who never admit it in polls but turn up to vote, or that the moment even miners hit pension age they just vote for the triple lock.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I am sure I saw that book a little while ago because the author was being a loving idiot on twitter.

Oh that’s really good to know. I will wait for the reviews - I am sceptical to say the least.

And yes, that all applies to the Labour Party but god I hope voter opinions will (one day) away some of that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

The monarchy have no authority, but do get to veto legislation that they don't like

...if they want us to become a Republic literally the next day, sure. They don't have a Presidential-style veto.

keep punching joe posted:

and lobby for legislation that they do like.

This, absolutely. They are plutocrats, landlords (and as landlords do have authority over their tenants, yes) and rich people with Murdoch+ levels of influence and deserve the guillotine on that basis. But that is still influence and not authority and there is an important distinction between the two.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 5, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I might be wrong about that so take it with a grain of salt, I just remember seeing the title and also that someone was having something published by verso books and being surprised because they seemed like an idiot and I thought verso mostly did left wing stuff.

I can't tell you anything about why though because I see so many stupid takes on twitter that they all blur together so I might be entirely wrong.

E: looking him up on twitter I can't find anything so I might have been looking at something else and he posted a comment perhaps and my brain is crosswiring them.

https://twitter.com/philbc3

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 5, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

feedmegin posted:

...if they want us to become a Republic literally the next day, sure. They don't have a Presidential-style veto.

Royal assent was refused a few times back in the early days, it was only when Queen Anne took over did things really settle down. These days it’s prime ministers who occasionally have to do the “can we have the bill back we’ve done a deal” phone call of shame

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund Monthly Update - 5th September 2021 :siren:

So here is the lovely monthly Solidarity Fund update, filled with intrigue, finances and aliens hell bent on our destruction. Okay, so I'm not sure about that first part but the rest still stands.

The fund is in a healthy position. Your donations are always greatfully received as we do want to help as many people as possible.

Charity update - The application has begun. Data and doucments are getting added to the Charity Commission website. It still amazes me that everyone on here has been so awesome that we need to do this. I'll be honest and say that it has been an honour to do so.
Once we get the charity officially created, then we will be able to use PayPal again without all the fuckery that they do under normal circumstances.

If you are someone that is in need, no how minor or unimportant you think your need may be, please get in contact. This fund is here to help you with whatever comes your way. If something is causing you stress, pain, worry or physical distress, please get in contact with us. Please do not go hungry or without something because you are of the belief that your pain is not important enough. If there is something in your life that would make things easier, get in touch. Feel free to contact any of the committee if you would like to discuss an issue. All matters are treated in complete confidence.

Anyway, onto the reason that all of you are here.... WALL-E RULE 34 PICS STATISTICS AND GRAPHS

August Stats:

Monthly donations and payouts:

Cumulative donations and payouts:

UKMTSF Data Trends | Record of Activity | Constitution

Donate:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/ukmtsolidarity - :siren: Please do not donate via PayPal for the time being :siren:
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply:
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, The DPRK or Tsietisin.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

yung lambic posted:

https://www.versobooks.com/books/3851-falling-down

God I want to believe but I am so broken at this point.

Depending on a split opposition seems like a pretty safe bet.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Power has incredible inertia, if you have it you do not lose it just because your organisation is corrupt, incompetent, directionless etc - you lose it when something TAKES power from you.

This applies to the monarchy and the Tories.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

feedmegin posted:

They effectively do, because governments let them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk/2013/jan/14/secret-papers-royals-veto-bills

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

OwlFancier posted:

I might be wrong about that so take it with a grain of salt, I just remember seeing the title and also that someone was having something published by verso books and being surprised because they seemed like an idiot and I thought verso mostly did left wing stuff.

I can't tell you anything about why though because I see so many stupid takes on twitter that they all blur together so I might be entirely wrong.

E: looking him up on twitter I can't find anything so I might have been looking at something else and he posted a comment perhaps and my brain is crosswiring them.

https://twitter.com/philbc3

Phil Burton-Cartledge is the "Tory decline" guy and published his first book about it iirc after Boris became PM but before 2019 GE, when it looked like the Tories were in chaos and people were getting booted out and left and right. So hes been spending the past 2 years trying to justify his thesis, and I think he stretches it a bit far.

On the other hand the Tories are much more fragile electorally and internally than you might otherwise think - they are being given an unbelievably easy ride but you can see from the quote about NI rises that to the new "Red Wall" Tory MPs have demands from their constituents that Sunak and the treasury don't really want to pay for. Plus there's the whole question of how much 2019 was down to a one off brexit vote but actually in a lot of places people would be willing to come back to Labour potentially. There's also the fact that the number 1 Tory priority is keeping asset prices high which is causing massive problems everywhere and you have to think the road will eventually run out on that, especially when with the cost of social care middle class people find out that once they've paid for a care home selling mum and dad's house doesn't get you on the housing ladder anymore.

Of course the Tories know all this which is why they are trying to put voter suppression laws in the place to make sure they stay in power whatever happens so

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Should add - the other long term problem for the Tories is that even in 2019 working people voted majority Labour, and the Tory voter base is overwhelmingly old people who are eventually going to die. This is one of the reasons they are going so hard after universities because they can see young people are getting radicalised after going and want to nip that in the bud long term.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Surely more young people are being radicalized by Twitter or Tik Tok and their smartphones these days.

Of course, since there's little context or control there some end up the bad kind of radicalized.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Always found it funny that the Tories all think that it's Uni that's turning people to the left rather than work being shite.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It may also be that they can't do anything about work being shite because that's the foundation of society, but they can piss about with universities.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's a NI news issue, so that's a double whammy of media not giving a poo poo

Whereas us in NI have known about this for quite a while and are patiently waiting for the Boris Shitshow to start up again when October 1st arrives.

Emotionally i'm flip flopping between schadenfreude and facepalming at the state of things.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The 'universities as hotbeds of radicalism' thing seems like it's borrowing a trope from US right wing media, which in turn is reacting against something from the past.

There was a strain of 60s New Left that was strongly attached to the American campus, especially the free speech movement and anti-war movement, which coincided with support for civil rights and free love and all, but that ignores the entire part of that centered around the Black Methodist and Baptist churches rather than the college green, which was a pretty important part. There's a good argument that the reactionaries attacking the former are doing so as a cloak for attacking the latter, which you can no longer do openly these days, that the language of sexual morality began as a feint for the language of racial purity, even if many of those who now carry the torch aren't fully aware of that.

I'm not sure there is even a British equivalent for that. There were certainly Black self-determination movements in Britain in the 60s, but many of them were in places where the whole point was to no longer be British, like Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Zambia, Kenya, often looking more to Ghana than Selma for inspiration. There was the Bristol Bus Boycott, there was two-tone and the factories in the West Midlands, and there were a poo poo ton of racists and "keep britain white" but nothing directly comparable.

Shocking I know, that much like 'critical race theory' and 'postmodern neomarxism' and '47 genders' the reactionaries are getting mad at something from completely outside of its context that they have made up because it's easier than thinking.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Last time I spoke to my dad he went off on a enormous rant about snowflakes censoring Romeo and Juliette and putting labels on statues and then basically exploded when I said it was made up to wind people up and it just didn’t matter and he started screaming OF COURSE IT MATTERS OF COURSE IT MATTERS till my mother pulled him out of the house and to the car.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you ever manage to kill him via apoplexy please post about it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Genuinely, why do you still interact with him, everything you've ever posted about him makes him sound like the biggest oval office on earth.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

sounds like the viz cartoon Daily Male satire but real

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Genuinely, why do you still interact with him, everything you've ever posted about him makes him sound like the biggest oval office on earth.

Parents held my grandma’s living will furniture hostage for 5 years, and now they got the money she gave them to pass on to my daughter.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Excellent twitter thread, worth saving a link to:

List of all the Early Day motions etc going back over 30 years Corbyn did that get him falsely accused of anti-semitism by the disgusting Hodge creature, BoD etc.

https://twitter.com/JohnFielder1/status/1417140908504625158

Thread unroll here:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1417140908504625158.html

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

learnincurve posted:

they just vote for the triple lock.

Isn’t Sunak ditching this?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Halisnacks posted:

Isn’t Sunak ditching this?

Not exactly. What it is they pick the highest of the three, last year wages went down 10%, this year they went up 8% which would be -2% over two years and in a sane world not the deciding factor, as it is under the rules all pensions would go up 8% out of nowhere which would be ruinous.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Haha, I missed this at the time, but last week the Graun had Tracy Ann Oberman as their weekly guest for one of those lifestyle/culture columns where they have a different minor celeb answer 20 questions about themselves - 'what would your supepower be?', 'what's the most expensive thing you've ever bought?' 'who would you say sorry to, if you had the chance?' - just the usual puff piece stuff. Except this time, they had a question that doesn't seem to have been posed to any of their previous guests:

Love the British media.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Not Trump or Bolsonsaro or James Corden or anything.

No, Jeremy Corbyn is the avatar of pure evil, summoning evil forces to his thrall like Randall Flagg

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the question is who she despises most, so yes I entirely believe that jeremy corbyn elicits more annoyance from her than anybody else, but it does obviously say more about her than anything else.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
“GOD drat IT THIS ELDERLY LEFTIE ALLOTMENT HOLDER MAKES ME SO MAD BUT I DESPISE THE PEOPLE WHO LIKE HIM MORE”

Oh and another thing my dad, GB News viewer and spectator subscriber, said during his meltdown over a daily star headline was that Jeremy Corbyn, then leader of the Labour Party, shouldn’t have been allowed on television during the election because he is an extremist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Apraxin posted:

Haha, I missed this at the time, but last week the Graun had Tracy Ann Oberman as their weekly guest for one of those lifestyle/culture columns where they have a different minor celeb answer 20 questions about themselves - 'what would your supepower be?', 'what's the most expensive thing you've ever bought?' 'who would you say sorry to, if you had the chance?' - just the usual puff piece stuff. Except this time, they had a question that doesn't seem to have been posed to any of their previous guests:

Love the British media.

Ugh I hate that woman. Such a transparent cry bully. You're in your fifties woman, the high-school production of Mean Girls is out of your range.