Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I made an appointment with an eye doctor because I hadn't seen one in 25 years and I'm getting older and my vision gets blurry sometimes. The doctor checked me out and said, "Your vision's fine. Use eyedrops when your eyes get dry. Don't waste my time." Thanks, dick, see you in another 25 years. Still sends me a postcard every 6 months to remind me to schedule an annual exam, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Zil posted:

No, don't have vision insurance.

Ya i dont have insurance either right now but it was pretty cheap at costco. I thought i was going to need glasses but i dont i guess the doctor did prescribe some with blue light blocking stuff or something but the prescription was so weak the guy at the kiosk where they sell you the glasses was like "dude. You dont need to buy our glasses, just get some over the counter ones from amazon for like $10"

Skyscraper Raccoon
Jun 12, 2018

Started from the bottom, now we here
I had a retinal injury in high school and was told that the science to repair my retina was 10-15 years off. That was 20 years ago and it's still 10-15 years off. I ask every year I go.

Anyways, I have to keep my remaining working eye in good condition so I go faithfully and haven't ever missed a year.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I don't know op, when was the last time you went to see Foot doctor?

(drat YTMND was/is good)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm tryna save for LASIK anyone with LASIK experiences lemme know how it went in this thread plz

spatial trait
Aug 7, 2009

I, too, wish for laser eyes. To punish my enemies and cause eny in my peers. To be hated and feared is my life's ambition. Is that covered by insurance?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I went about a month ago and got my prescription updated for the first time in over 12 years. My vision has worsened, but not by much, but the new prescription is playing havoc with my brain. Things are sharp and all, but the increased horizontal compression the further something gets from the center of my field of vision is taking quite some time for me to get used to. I also picked out new frames because why the hell not, but I have poor man's insurance so I didn't have much to choose from, and wound up getting some thin but heavy metal frames with large lenses. Now the nose pads dig into my skin and I got some nice red welts. It hurts to wear the drat things all day, and I can't do poo poo about swapping the frames out until my eligibility for new glasses comes round again in a year.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Use zenny optical if you have your prescription numbers, I got all my glasses from there back when I had to wear them. gently caress paying $100+ for a pair

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

This thread is very timely, I actually went earlier today. Got to learn that the company that makes my contact lenses for my atrocious loving vision has been acquired, and the new company doesn't take orders with the same precise granularity for my double-digit prescription as the old company did, so now I get to buy lenses that are just kinda designed for my eyes and try out a bunch until I find out which one is the least bad. Hooray capitalism! :thumbsup:

they're all bad, sorry bad-eye friendo

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Neurion posted:

I went about a month ago and got my prescription updated for the first time in over 12 years. My vision has worsened, but not by much, but the new prescription is playing havoc with my brain. Things are sharp and all, but the increased horizontal compression the further something gets from the center of my field of vision is taking quite some time for me to get used to. I also picked out new frames because why the hell not, but I have poor man's insurance so I didn't have much to choose from, and wound up getting some thin but heavy metal frames with large lenses. Now the nose pads dig into my skin and I got some nice red welts. It hurts to wear the drat things all day, and I can't do poo poo about swapping the frames out until my eligibility for new glasses comes round again in a year.

Real talk, dude, go back and have your optician (hell, nearly any optician) adjust them. Nosepads should sit along the contours of your nose. What you are describing is like textbook "nosepads too tight" or "nosepads not matching slope of nose". Goddamn, don't suffer with your glasses. poo poo, if it's really bad, have them put some larger nosepads on, it'll spread out weight a little more, kind of like a snowshoe does

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I went to the eye doctor 2 years ago because I experienced a visual migraine aura and had no idea what it was. he told me what it was and tested my eyes anyway and told me they were fine

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I got PRK in maybe 2014. I paid out of pocket so it was like $3,000-$4000. One of the best decisions I've ever made. I've worn glasses since I was maybe 10 and I don't know what my vision was before but I wouldn't be able to drive without them.

I got PRK because I was in kickboxing at the time and didn't want someone to punch a piece of my eye away with Lasik. I had a REALLY bad time with recovery. I couldn't see right for a few days and the pain was just insane. I had to go back to the doctor twice for pain killers. Each time I went he'd say something like "Yeah it can be painful." I go a second time. "Yeah some people compare it to child birth." Yeah thanks for the heads up dude.

I still have eye pain if I push on my eyes but I am still happy with this decision. Being able to see after waking up and not fumbling around for my glasses and knocking them behind my night stand and then feeling around on the ground for them because I can barely see.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I got PRK in maybe 2014. I paid out of pocket so it was like $3,000-$4000. One of the best decisions I've ever made. I've worn glasses since I was maybe 10 and I don't know what my vision was before but I wouldn't be able to drive without them.

I got PRK because I was in kickboxing at the time and didn't want someone to punch a piece of my eye away with Lasik. I had a REALLY bad time with recovery. I couldn't see right for a few days and the pain was just insane. I had to go back to the doctor twice for pain killers. Each time I went he'd say something like "Yeah it can be painful." I go a second time. "Yeah some people compare it to child birth." Yeah thanks for the heads up dude.

I still have eye pain if I push on my eyes but I am still happy with this decision. Being able to see after waking up and not fumbling around for my glasses and knocking them behind my night stand and then feeling around on the ground for them because I can barely see.

What is PRK versus LASIK

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

What is PRK versus LASIK

Lasik they slice a piece of your eye, do the laser work, then lay the piece back down and it heals. PRK they just blast your eyes with a laser straight up.

I'm too lazy to look it up right now. PRK is older and Lasik is more modern I believe.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

What was your vision before and how much better did it get?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

My vision has been bad since elementary school, wore glasses for a year then contacts for the rest of my life. The prospect of not losing contacts, having to schedule exams when I run out, then pay out the rear end for lenses sounds incredibly appealing

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

What was your vision before and how much better did it get?

No idea what it was before. I just described in my first post. It was bad. Now it's probably 20/20ish. I haven't been to an eye doctor since. I'm not sure if the VA has one.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

No idea what it was before. I just described in my first post. It was bad. Now it's probably 20/20ish. I haven't been to an eye doctor since. I'm not sure if the VA has one.

That's really cool, I'm def gonna save and hopefully get it done by early next year.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

That's really cool, I'm def gonna save and hopefully get it done by early next year.

It's elective surgery so I don't know if insurance would cover it despite bad vision being a terrible handicap. It was really expensive but I still love being able to see.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It's elective surgery so I don't know if insurance would cover it despite bad vision being a terrible handicap. It was really expensive but I still love being able to see.

Yeah I'm fully expecting it to be out of pocket but tbh 4-6k for close to 20/20 vision and no glasses or contacts sounds more than worth it to me. There's so much minor planning that goes into life around having bad vision that it's really aggravating sometimes. If I'm sleeping at some place spontaneously I have to go out and buy a case and solution. If I get up in the middle of the night I fumble my way around the house like an idiot

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I got Lasik January 2020. It was honestly terrifying.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Who What Now posted:

I got Lasik January 2020. It was honestly terrifying.

How much did it improve ur vision though

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Better than 20/20. Which is good because my eyes were so bad there literally isn't enough membrane enough for them to do it a second time lol.

Really the scariest part was that if you don't stare at this blinking red dot then the procedure fails and all the money you paid is gone forever.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Who What Now posted:

Better than 20/20. Which is good because my eyes were so bad there literally isn't enough membrane enough for them to do it a second time lol.

Really the scariest part was that if you don't stare at this blinking red dot then the procedure fails and all the money you paid is gone forever.

Do u know what the exact rating your eyes were or whatever? Mine are dogshit, like -7, but that's still within the range they can do it

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Oh and how long did it take lol while u stared at the dot

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I honestly don't remember how long mine took for the PRK but I wanna say like 10 minutes. It's crazy how much it costs for 10 minutes of a machine doing all of the work for them.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I honestly don't remember how long mine took for the PRK but I wanna say like 10 minutes. It's crazy how much it costs for 10 minutes of a machine doing all of the work for them.

Yeah I'm assuming like most quick procedures it's just massively inflated cost wise for the gently caress of it

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't remember the specific rating but I was definitely on the edge of my eyes being too poor to even attempt it. If the optometrist you're going to isn't a complete quack then they aren't going to try it without being confident that they can get you at or near 20/20. As it was explained to me there was a chance I'd need very weak reading glasses or something.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Oh and how long did it take lol while u stared at the dot

Again I don't remember exactly how long, no more than a few minutes. If you have any sort of anxiety issues definitely take some Xanax or something because all they gave me were like 0.1 valium which didn't do jack poo poo lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Aight, I'm prob gonna take a loan from family members to get it done ASAP, I don't want to wait until it's too late

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Who What Now posted:

Again I don't remember exactly how long, no more than a few minutes. If you have any sort of anxiety issues definitely take some Xanax or something because all they gave me were like 0.1 valium which didn't do jack poo poo lol

You can't blink??

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they detach your eyelids and sew them back on at the end of the procedure

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Bad Purchase posted:

they detach your eyelids and sew them back on at the end of the procedure

Do they put semen on them??

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if you buy the platinum service, yeah they will. you can pick your donor.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Well this thread actually ended up being super informative and made me feel pretty positive about getting corrective surgery so thanks guys

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Well this thread actually ended up being super informative and made me feel pretty positive about getting corrective surgery so thanks guys

:glomp:

It's a life changer.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

No your eye is sucked partially out of socket to help keep it as still as possible but your eye isn't completely immobilized and can move around if youre not careful. The machine keeps your eyes moist for you.

Also you can smell your eye being lazered.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Who What Now posted:

No your eye is sucked partially out of socket to help keep it as still as possible but your eye isn't completely immobilized and can move around if youre not careful. The machine keeps your eyes moist for you.

Also you can smell your eye being lazered.

That kinda owns

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

:glomp:

It's a life changer.

It was definitely one of the best decisions I've ever made. It just sucked in the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm tryna save for LASIK anyone with LASIK experiences lemme know how it went in this thread plz

It's really quick and painless, I had it done several years ago and it's one of the best decisions I've made in my life. The worst part is the smell of your lenses being reshaped, it smells like burnt hair. But other than that it's done with in like 10 minutes and you heal really loving quickly. Now I can loving see when I wake up and not look for my glasses, enjoy concerts without the fear of my glasses being knocked off by a lovely crowd (I've had this happen and it was hosed), and swim/snorkle and be able to enjoy seeing poo poo underwater.

They put some Clockwork Orange thing on your eye to keep the lids from closing.