Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HopperUK posted:

You could use the sigil-drawing rules from Sigils in the Dark to combine with Wreck This Deck in a fun way I think.

I've been trying to remember the name of this game for like two weeks because I meant to pick it up awhile back and never did and then couldn't find it again. Thanks!

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I've enjoyed your write-ups of various games. I like the idea of a "lose" condition and passing the deck on. Kind of like a roguelike with meta progression. I want to do something similar with the gaming journal. I think I'll start at the back and work my way forward with wreck this deck, and leave the front of the book free for another game. Doing something backwards seems fitting for a demonologist. I see this as an art project, where I want to end up with something fun to look at. I'm trying to figure out which of my art supplies will actually stick to a card right now. I'm actually thinking ink that smudges might be an interesting mechanic. Protect those sigils, or else.

That's a very cool way to go at it. Interested to hear how that works out for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Why make up demonic sigils when the Lesser Key of Solomon is $.99 on Kindle, and I have a dollar credit?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Uganda Loves Me posted:

Why make up demonic sigils when the Lesser Key of Solomon is $.99 on Kindle, and I have a dollar credit?

'cause that way you end up with an owl-dude riding a horse with a butt at both ends asking to see some Jewish guy who's been dead for over two and a half millennia.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

A pretty neat fan-made/third party expansion for Ironsworn just came out called Arcanum: High Magic for Ironsworn. I picked it up and its got some cool ideas. I had been watning to play a magic-focused Ironsworn game and was mulling on some spell casting rules. I might tweak it some and use it as a basis of what I want. I especially like the idea of building up your own Mage's Sanctuary/settlement.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Settlement rules are something obvious I felt was missing from Ironsworn and Starforged (besides one asset, I think, in the latter). Good to see someone working on them, even indirectly, and a neat idea for a project overall.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

SkyeAuroline posted:

Settlement rules are something obvious I felt was missing from Ironsworn and Starforged (besides one asset, I think, in the latter). Good to see someone working on them, even indirectly, and a neat idea for a project overall.

The author feels the same way. A settlement expansion called Sanctuary was (and still technically is) planned for Ironsworn, and was supposed to be the first supplement put out, but Starforged leapt ahead in development for some reason. Shawn has mentioned wanting to get back to Sanctuary, but he's obviously Very Busy fulfilling Starforged at the moment, so it'll be a while.

My own elaborate Ironsworn hack desperately needs settlement rules, so I might pick up Arcanum just to have a look at those.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm going to be trying Five Parsecs from home tomorrow. Using TTS and some default assets for the first run to see if I want to take the time to prep pretty scenary in it

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

IIRC Shawn sidelined Sanctuary because of writer痴 block and not coming up with anything he was satisfied with mechanically. Hopefully time and the influence of other creative minds poking at his work reinvigorates his muse for the topic post Starforged.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Every interaction I've seen with Shawn involved has been downright wholesome. Personally responding to reviews on DriveThruRPG, offering to pro-rate purchases based on previous purchases, and sending new materials if there was something wrong with any of it. The Ironsworn discord has been downright pleasant, too. I don't regret cutting them into my stationery budget.

I'm liking Wreck This Deck, and I think it'd be fun to do a let's play somewhere down the line. It's a bit dark though, and I'm all set up to start playing some Sweaters by Hedgehog now. I added a couple jokers into the mix, so all 4 piles could have a joker. I really want to draw some animals wearing their new apparel.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
I知 so stoked people are into my silly little game. Somebody on itch translated it into Spanish for me too!

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

ShutteredIn posted:

I知 so stoked people are into my silly little game. Somebody on itch translated it into Spanish for me too!

It honestly captures my imagination like nothing else in the thread. I recommend people at least grab the .pdf and read through it.

EDIT: Still working on handwriting, but I had a lot of fun with my first session: https://imgur.com/a/WVX6ncN Also, writing in pen is very different from using a word processor. I'm used to putting sentences down quickly, then tweaking previous sentences as I go. It's hard to plan the entry before writing it, because I don't know where the story will take me. I'm tempted to type it up, then ink it. That would minimize awkward phrasing.

Uganda Loves Me fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 31, 2021

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Starforged late pledger is now available for anyone interested.

https://starforged.absolutetabletop.com/

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Starforged late pledger is now available for anyone interested.

https://starforged.absolutetabletop.com/

I was just about to post this. Pledging also gives you discounts on other Ironsworn stuff, and I've seen Shawn pro-rate new purchases based on previous purchases. ie. on DriveThruRPG, people who bought a .pdf and then want to buy a physical copy only have to pay the difference in the two costs. I can't say enough nice things about them.

EDIT: From what I've seen, it's usually handled by personally contacting them. I don't think there's a simple, stream-lined way to do this.

Uganda Loves Me fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 1, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I was just about to post this. Pledging also gives you discounts on other Ironsworn stuff, and I've seen Shawn pro-rate new purchases based on previous purchases. ie. on DriveThruRPG, people who bought a .pdf and then want to buy a physical copy only have to pay the difference in the two costs. I can't say enough nice things about them.

Ooh, that's awesome. I was unemployed during lock down so did the cheaper tier for people with money issues so I might upgrade to the print version when it's published.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Excellent thanks so much for the heads up!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Sorry for double post. I got into Sweaters by Hedgehog today. Just did the title page. I'm going to use this as an excuse to practise my watercolours.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Oh my gosh yes, that痴 so cute.

I知 working on my next game, which is a hack on the hedgehog game but you値l play a goblin trying to sell/scam Adventurers with random stuff he collects in a dungeon.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

HopperUK posted:

Sorry for double post. I got into Sweaters by Hedgehog today. Just did the title page. I'm going to use this as an excuse to practise my watercolours.

I can smell the potpourri.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

HopperUK posted:

That's so cool!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

I can smell the potpourri.

ok?

e: thanks folks, it's fun to do

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 5, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I think they meant that it's adorable, because it's extremely adorable.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

ShutteredIn posted:

I知 working on my next game, which is a hack on the hedgehog game but you値l play a goblin trying to sell/scam Adventurers with random stuff he collects in a dungeon.

Having played three incarnations of almost this exact guy in other RPGs this is extremely interesting to me.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Kenning posted:

I think they meant that it's adorable, because it's extremely adorable.

Yeah, the incidental details really sell it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Aw, thank you. One of the customers I rolled was a squirrel who was from far away and I googled and found the Malabar giant squirrel:

I gift knowledge of it to all of you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

HopperUK posted:

Aw, thank you. One of the customers I rolled was a squirrel who was from far away and I googled and found the Malabar giant squirrel:

I gift knowledge of it to all of you.

That's not a real thing, that's a squirrel that's been attacked by kids with spray paint bottles.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Skwirl posted:

That's not a real thing, that's a squirrel that's been attacked by kids with spray paint bottles.

The Smithsonian says it's real but your username checks out! I don't know what to believe! ...for real they say maybe the vibrancy on the photos has been turned up a bit but they really are flashy like that.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

HopperUK posted:

ok?

e: thanks folks, it's fun to do

extremely cozy, it's a compliment :)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

HopperUK posted:

The Smithsonian says it's real but your username checks out! I don't know what to believe! ...for real they say maybe the vibrancy on the photos has been turned up a bit but they really are flashy like that.

I was just joking, no idea, but there's seriously not another mammal on the planet that's blue.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

extremely cozy, it's a compliment :)

In that case, thank you :D

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

I was just joking, no idea, but there's seriously not another mammal on the planet that's blue.

Blue whales :colbert:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Russian Blue breed of cat? Although they've always seemed more grey to me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, those are both grey.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I think the squirrel is really a sort of maroon-brown and black combo but I choose to believe in giant purple squirrel anyway.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It's a shame Discord is the go-to for game info, whether video game or board or roleplay or whatever. It has its advantages, like if you have a question too stupid and basic for the rules to mention, but overall it's just not a platform built for learning.

Apothecaria still sick though. And as internet literature goes, the writers for solo journaling games are really onto something. It's got to be rewarding to not only write something people read, but for the people who read it to turn it to turn it into something yet more people can read, including yourself.

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, those are both grey.

Then why are gray whales called that? Don't tell me about John Gray, the John-Come-Lately who clearly just got into the gray whale game because he wanted people to get confused.

this rear end in a top hat

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Just received my booklet set of Delve, Rise, Umbra & Apothecaria.
I already have journaling books from convention swag, and now they won't feel guilty and unwritten.

Attention span of a goldfish. This kind of thing is perfect.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Sweater bear!

I don't know why but this format is really making me happy. Bring on that goblin-shopkeeper hack.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
:eyepop: I love the scrapbook format

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

:eyepop: I love the scrapbook format

Cheers! I had all these stickers and things lying around and I thought why not.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

HopperUK posted:

Sweater bear!

I don't know why but this format is really making me happy. Bring on that goblin-shopkeeper hack.

Unironically keep this stuff coming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I've just realised I have to work out how a bat wears a sweater. Great big armholes and it's a sleeveless sweater-vest?