Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Found this while walking the dog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Found this dragonfly when I was outside this morning after a heavy downpour

It just hung out on a tree occasionally flapping its wings and brushing its head with one leg before it flew away. About as big as my index finger :kimchi:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm near the beach but not at the beach and I think a ghost crab has gotten very lost

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Some finds i kept from a week of excursions.

Realised how rusty my pinning and especially gluing skills have become (not that they were great to begin with).

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 30, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Not to mention your penmanship.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Sphinx Moth

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

EorayMel posted:

Found this dragonfly when I was outside this morning after a heavy downpour

It just hung out on a tree occasionally flapping its wings and brushing its head with one leg before it flew away. About as big as my index finger :kimchi:

S'up dragonfly bro.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Dead-ringers for Aeshna grandis those dragonflies. Europe?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Does this count?

Pretty adorable (since it was in the Home Depot and not my house).

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Falukorv posted:

Dead-ringers for Aeshna grandis those dragonflies. Europe?

No, but Aeshna is a widespread genus with a Holarctic distribution, and many of them look quite similar. Mine is probably a female Shadow Darner, Aeshna umbrosa.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Ralph Hurley posted:

Chill green grasshopper munching a palm leaf in Beaumont, California

I didn't realize I had any goons that close to me. I live in Banning, which is an entirely appropriate place for a moderator to live...

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

McGavin posted:

No, but Aeshna is a widespread genus with a Holarctic distribution, and many of them look quite similar. Mine is probably a female Shadow Darner, Aeshna umbrosa.

i can make up words too.

jk, you people that know all these things at a glance are amazing

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:lol::lol: I look up everything.

I do have a biology degree, but I'm amateur naturalist good, not entomologist good.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Genesplicer posted:

I didn't realize I had any goons that close to me. I live in Banning, which is an entirely appropriate place for a moderator to live...

If you live your entire life there is it called Permabanning? :v:

My parents live in Beaumont not me but I visit often. Good place for critter questin’. They have had owls, roadrunners, quail, and even a family of bobcats in their back yard. The little bobkittens came right up to their window.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

There's something fascinating about being able to take a macro shot, and see details on something very small. All from Southern California. All taken by me over the years. I should get back into it.

(Wish this one was more clear. I'd love to see more detail on the eyes.)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Gorgeous macro work! Love the little jumper, and the lattice pattern on the mantid's wings.

Scarodactyl posted:

Does this count?

Pretty adorable (since it was in the Home Depot and not my house).

I like this very much! What a cute little guy. Whereabouts are you? Field mice all look pretty much the same to me, but maybe there's a more specific ID to be had.

No pics but I've been visited by a silverfish tonight. They're weird.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Sadly was on the outside of a third floor window or else I would have brought them home with me.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

my cat is norris posted:

I like this very much! What a cute little guy. Whereabouts are you? Field mice all look pretty much the same to me, but maybe there's a more specific ID to be had.
I'm in central NC. I am definitely not a mouseologist, but I suspect this is a youngin, small even for a mouse and with such a huge head.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
as a certified mouseologist from the mouseyological institute of the americas i can confirm that is indeed a big-headed lil' cutie poot-poot

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Very green body on this one.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I found an invader on my tomato plant!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i still have caterpillars and parsley

https://i.imgur.com/KcLjMrk.mp4
turn sound on to find the other critters in the video

e: In previous years they've absolutely obliterated plants I wasn't taking very good care of, but this year the parsley is in a bucket with some peppers and they're getting a very aggressive feed of hydroponic nutrients every time I water them. And after 2+ weeks and over a dozen fat caterpillars I still have viable parsley and caterpillars

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 1, 2021

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Saw this big cool beetle when walking yesterday. Southeast PA.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

KariOhki posted:

Saw this big cool beetle when walking yesterday. Southeast PA.

Cotinis nitida (sp?) that ones pretty partied out

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

busy porch night

munce
Oct 23, 2010

A jumping spider got onto the bathroom mirror and spent a very long time being freaked out by his reflection

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Spider vision is pretty cool - their eyes work cooperatively, and the different eyes are serving different purposes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/06/science/spider-vision.html

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

also these guys are everywhere

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Norris put a black light up against a white sheet and report back

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

the yeti posted:

Norris put a black light up against a white sheet and report back

I will make this happen but it'll be a bit!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Y4vhlKB.mp4

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

omg so lucky!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If that was one of mine I didn't know where the chrysalis was. I'm keeping tabs on four, though.

e:

same guy

ee: just found a fifth one :toot:

How long do they normally take?

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 5, 2021

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I hate to follow up such pretty pictures with poop, but: whose poop? It's raining so it'll be a bit before I can say for sure but with the grass for scale I'd say these are almost mouse poop sized, so way too big for termite or carpenter ant frass, but definitely looks like it's composed of wood, right?. This is a next to a section of log that we use as a chair in the backyard. Had someone guess it was a dutch elm (and possibly died of dutch elm disease) before we had to take it down (if that helps).

Maybe beetle larvae? I have seen some extremely generic looking brown/black beetles crawling around on these logs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
A giant ant(?) found in East Texas.

I put a watch down for scale.

And had my son pick it up for a closer look.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Phyzzle posted:

And had my son pick it up for a closer look.

Can’t really tell from pics but on principle I would avoid picking up large furry ants if at all possible

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Found hanging from a bridge in east kansas

A bagworm!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Phyzzle posted:

A giant ant(?) found in East Texas.

That looks like a Texas Leafcutter Ant, Atta texana. But, yeah, I wouldn't go picking up any large ants that I couldn't identify in Texas. They aren't called cow killers for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The Red Queen posted:

I hate to follow up such pretty pictures with poop, but: whose poop? It's raining so it'll be a bit before I can say for sure but with the grass for scale I'd say these are almost mouse poop sized, so way too big for termite or carpenter ant frass, but definitely looks like it's composed of wood, right?. This is a next to a section of log that we use as a chair in the backyard. Had someone guess it was a dutch elm (and possibly died of dutch elm disease) before we had to take it down (if that helps).

Maybe beetle larvae? I have seen some extremely generic looking brown/black beetles crawling around on these logs.

I can't tell but I'm quoting this as I love a good poop mystery.