Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Having a hard time parsing hotpot without a definite or indefinite article. Like how Brits say Things like “I am going to Hospital.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's hot pot man, it's a substance

Do you say you're going to eat a can of the soup for lunch? Teen titans talkin rear end

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hotpot

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
"a hot pot" : a piece of metal that will burn you and hold liquid

Hotpot: like fondue, but Asian

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Who wants to go to a restaurant and make their own soup? Just bring me a bowl of soup. Why you gotta make everything so difficult?

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

"I'm gonna hot pot" is the cool new way to refer to smoking weed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I call ovens hotboxes

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Prof. Spaceman posted:

"I'm gonna hot pot" is the cool new way to refer to making GBS threads

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Robobot posted:

Just bring me a bowl of soup.
Cuts to the heart of restaurants.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Robobot posted:

Who wants to go to a restaurant and make their own soup? Just bring me a bowl of soup. Why you gotta make everything so difficult?

Same but for the places where you go in and cook your own pizza

Same but for high-end seafood restaurants that serve your food cold on dry ice because it's ~so fresh~ that's how you know it's good so enjoy your cold rear end crab legs it's like you stuck your head in the ocean and chomped on a passing fish so fresh aren't you pleased we didn't cook this or add butter

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Robobot posted:

You, a simpleton: I go to restaurants to not cook
Me, an unrecognized genius: I go to restaurants to not clean

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Robobot posted:

I can't find it right now but there's an AITA post about the guy that brought his own broth to a hotpot. Spoilers he was the rear end in a top hat

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I call ovens hotboxes

Okay Alton Brown thanks for reminding us.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Why do they call it hotpot when you pot in the cold food pot out the hot eat the food?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

ikanreed posted:

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/aj0zY46.mp4

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ikanreed posted:

I feel humbled

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

He's preparing to fire his primary weapon!

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Same

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

I feel humbled

I'm simmering in shame.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
E: wrong thread

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

ikanreed posted:

"a hot pot" : a piece of metal that will burn you and hold liquid

Hotpot: like fondue, but Asian

Polpot: like a genocidal maniac, but Asian

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

In most western Chinese food interpretations a hotpot dish comes with all the stuff in it - it’s basically a soup broth with chunky bits. I guess that’s for ease of service though.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Lol imagine going to a restaurant.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 01:01 on Sep 6, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Those numbers are so low, as someone living in an idiotic place I'm glad somewhere is still taking this seriously.

But what's the deal with the low vaccination rates in Australia? Did the government just not procure a bunch of it?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Infections were so low in Australia that parts of Europe and Asia that were manufacturing the vaccine said "lol you have basically no infections why should we send you vaccines at all?!?"

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Robobot posted:

lovely noodles eh?

Looks pretty offal to me.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

MrUnderbridge posted:

Looks pretty offal to me.

Best pluck it from the menu then.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Okay Alton Brown thanks for reminding us.

chill chest chill chest chILL CHEST

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

PittTheElder posted:

Those numbers are so low, as someone living in an idiotic place I'm glad somewhere is still taking this seriously.
It's more that it's projected to get really bad here, for the first time. We're all bracing for it right now :(

quote:

But what's the deal with the low vaccination rates in Australia? Did the government just not procure a bunch of it?

More or less. Then we only had AstraZenica, and our vaccination analysis body ATAGI went "we ran the numbers, and if you're under 40 then at the current rate of infection you're statistically more likely to die of blood clots than COVID-19".

Then as things started to get bad in Sydney the Prime Minister went "oh, just ask your doctor to make an exception for you" and all the doctors went "wtf??" because the advice from ATAGI hadn't changed. Then it did, because the infection rates were getting worse. Then we finally got Pfizer arriving. I just had my first Pfizer shot two days ago. I nearly got AstraZenica, but by the time it would be time for me to get the second AZ both Pfizer shots would have been available.

That, and there's probably some complacency. The west coast has been mostly untouched.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

FreudianSlippers posted:

Infections were so low in Australia that parts of Europe and Asia that were manufacturing the vaccine said "lol you have basically no infections why should we send you vaccines at all?!?"

The government put all their eggs in the Astra Zeneca basket because an old mate of their's is on the board. Then the stuff came out about the blood clots and medical advice was changed to recommend the Pfizer vaccine, which we barely bought any of because no one was getting kickbacks. And then they blamed the population for "vaccine hesitancy" when it was all their messaging around the AZ that stopped people from wanting it.

They were offered 40 million doses of Pfizer in July 2020 to arrive in January this year, enough to vaccinate the entire adult population, but kinda went "mmm, nahh", based on, and I cannot stress this enough, no medical advice at all.

quote:

Pfizer had allegedly offered Australia priority options for the vaccine in July 2020. According to Health Minister Greg Hunt, the government rejected the offer citing “medical advice”, deciding instead to back the AstraZeneca vaccine.

However, according to Bill Bowtell, UNSW Adjunct Professor of Strategic Health Policy, that advice must have been based on “commercial and political advice”.

Sources say the government could not have possibly decided on “medical advice” because it wasn’t available at the time.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Danger sells, I’ll admit I find the packaging alluring and want to buy the towel to discover what’s dangerous about it

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I should also say, though, that the VIC state government is taking this extremely loving seriously. We're on tight lockdown, and have been for a while now, until we hit 70% vaccinated.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So its just sand paper pretty much?

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

monkey went back to his home planet

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

FreudianSlippers posted:

While the US famously made export illegal until 100% of Americans would be vaccinated #AmericaFirst

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 02:07 on Sep 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Thaddius the Large posted:

Danger sells, I’ll admit I find the packaging alluring and want to buy the towel to discover what’s dangerous about it
Do not taunt Ultra Hard Death Body Towel.