Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Can we melt down about reviews at least?

It's not like I have any power beyond closing the thread, which i'm not gonna do lol, but if asked, I prefer people to stay chill. Calmly indignant. Restrained rage.

Meltdowns never look good and someone inevitably shows up to poke and prod. It kinda sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

kiimo posted:

Some of the bad reviews hate the ending

What ending you fools

those reviewers, history will call them bitches

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ending ? It’s merely the middle

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

if peeps show up to talk poo poo just remain calm, look within yourself, see the plans within plans

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

They're finding these troll posts too easily

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Do we have guesses as to when the movie ends? Are we all assuming the orgy?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
it just cuts to black right after pauls dusted his onion rings with melange

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

rydiafan posted:

Do we have guesses as to when the movie ends? Are we all assuming the orgy?

This was what I had guessed but the reviews gave it a lot of credence, so spoiler tagging out of an abundance of caution on or about the knife fight with Jamis

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

it just cuts to black right after pauls dusted his onion rings with melange and takes a gulp of his Starbucks Pumkin Spice Frapaccino.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I didn't say fallback, I said FALL is BACK!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Imagine, the matrix rave scene then fade to black. Dune 2 2023, credits roll.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRkiyy3EDl4&t=100s

Maud'dib! What can we expect in this Jihad?!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Oh man it seems really ill-advised to put the spice orgy in the movie.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

phasmid posted:

All to a cover version of “spice up your life” with a middle eastern tinge to it.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

priznat posted:

All to a cover version of “spice up your life” with a middle eastern tinge to it.

Throw some tuvan throat singing in there and we got us a Zensunni potluck.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
our patented Sietch Stench smell-o-vision system will make you say "Kull wahad!"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

phasmid posted:

It's just reused footage from the matrix rave

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
When Frank "Let's imprint a 9 year old" Herbert practices discretion, it's probably better left offscreen

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Usul, we have beefswelling the likes of which even God has never seen.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

The Bloop posted:

It's just reused footage from the matrix rave

Only with an orange filter over everything instead of a blue one

e: You put your hand in the blue box...the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You put your hand in the red box...you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the desert hopping-mouse hole goes.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

It's just Chalamet re-enacting the parody scene where they're drenched in sweat.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

metascore is the mindkiller, pass through the chaff of bad opinions and only you will remain

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i am surprised to see review scores for like every major film release right now are kind of low. weirdly enough while part of me desires smooth approval from the broader culture for my sci-fi extravaganza, i am quietly relieved that dunc is prompting an array of reactions. looks like critical response in the end will be about the same as it was for blade runner 2049

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i am surprised to see review scores for like every major film release right now are kind of low. weirdly enough while part of me desires smooth approval from the broader culture for my sci-fi extravaganza, i am quietly relieved that dunc is prompting an array of reactions. looks like critical response in the end will be about the same as it was for blade runner 2049

Every time a Denis Villenueve movie comes out there are reviewers complaining that the movie feels cold and unemotional but thats just kind of his aesthetic and tbh I get plenty emotion out of his stuff, I think people find the lack of bombast to his drama too detached compared to more emotive dramas but thats their loss

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I looked up the reviews and almost all the negative reviews are complaining about that lol so chances are it's another great Villeneuve movie that leaves some people cold

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Saw the DUNC trailer on the big screen in front of Shang-Chi and let's just say I'm excited

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I looked up the reviews and almost all the negative reviews are complaining about that lol so chances are it's another great Villeneuve movie that leaves some people cold

Yeah, I can understand how not everyone would enjoy the style, but it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. It seems like a good fit for the inhumanly vast scale of so much of the Dune universe.

Also, I was just unboxing and shelving some books for the one year anniversary of moving into my current apartment, and I discovered I've got apparently original hardcover editions of Messiah, God Emperor, Heretics, and Chapterhouse. They used to belong to the library at the local Navy base; when that shut down a few years ago, some people at my squadron salvaged a bunch of its books and moved them into a spare conference room, which was pretty awesome. Somehow I seem to have ended up with a few of them as well.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, I can understand how not everyone would enjoy the style, but it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. It seems like a good fit for the inhumanly vast scale of so much of the Dune universe.

Also, I was just unboxing and shelving some books for the one year anniversary of moving into my current apartment, and I discovered I've got apparently original hardcover editions of Messiah, God Emperor, Heretics, and Chapterhouse. They used to belong to the library at the local Navy base; when that shut down a few years ago, some people at my squadron salvaged a bunch of its books and moved them into a spare conference room, which was pretty awesome. Somehow I seem to have ended up with a few of them as well.

Dune is a pretty cold book imo, so turning it into something suffused with warmth would be atonal, especially regarding its themes about "great people" being essentially inhuman.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

But it takes place in a desert!!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

THE BAR posted:

But it takes place in a desert!!!

The desert is gay

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

it's cold in the desert

at night

relatively

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Bloop posted:

Saw the DUNC trailer on the big screen in front of Shang-Chi and let's just say I'm excited

same. even my 8yo son who knows nothing of dune other than it’s a book on our shelf was like ‘that looks awesome’

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
i read a bad review that said the movie sucks but you'll love it if you're a dumb nerd who thought what BR 2049 needed was MORE meandering long shots of the post-cyberpocalypse

so i am confident it is better than i had dared hope imagine

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
It's me, I'm the dumb nerd.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

i heard the movie is bad and doesnt even have weirding modules like fred herbert wrote about in the book

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

eSports Chaebol posted:

i read a bad review that said the movie sucks but you'll love it if you're a dumb nerd who thought what BR 2049 needed was MORE meandering long shots of the post-cyberpocalypse

so i am confident it is better than i had dared hope imagine

holy poo poo yes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

and thank god for that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Br2049 was too fast !!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol when people were bitching about 2049's length and i'm watching the credits roll like play it again sam