Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday!:kstare:

Hey, want to get real angry? (I know you, you’re reading Political Cartoons thread.)
What’s the iconic instance of law enforcement protecting a child while protestors threw produce at them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
is there a rash of puppy thefts in the UK or...?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

HootTheOwl posted:

is there a rash of puppy thefts in the UK or...?
Supposedly incidents have tripled since the pandemic started but I've never heard of it happening to anyone ever and I've lived hear for almost four and a half decades. It's just part of the rising tide of anti-traveller racism, police are getting all kinds of new powers to "deal with" them because they're an easy target if you're a government looking for an enemy to crack down on and one of the big myths is that they steal people's pets when they come to town.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Dog thefts are quite common here in North London

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I found an old book of political cartoons from 1989 lying around, and I figured you lot would "enjoy" some of these. Please forgive my mediocre scanning and the yellowy paper that may or may not have been that colour at time of printing.

Bennett drawing backgrounds!

Gorrell drawing at all!

Ramirez... still being a piece of poo poo!

You'll never guess what those clowns in congress are a bunch of!

It was a year ending in a number between 0 and 9 so abortion was a hot-button issue.

There was also a school shooting that year, which I'm hazy on the details but I'm sure the government acted quickly and effectively to prevent such a thing happening again.

Also important this year: flag burning!

The Environment was a big issue as well, with the hole in the ozone layer and scientists apparently looking into this little thing called the "greenhouse effect" . This was over 30 years ago so I'm sure that's been dealt with by now.

Here are some others I felt like scanning.
The phrase "War on Drugs" would keep being used for another 20 years, when as I understand it the Obama administration decided to keep on doing the war on drugs but at least not calling it that anymore.

Angepain fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 5, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Angepain posted:

The phrase "War on Drugs" would keep being used for another 20 years, when as I understand it the Obama administration decided to keep on doing the war on drugs but at least not calling it that anymore.

Jack McBrayer is going to play Jimmy Carter in the film.

Also it's funny, I've never seen a Jerald FOrd Characture before. You'd think I'd have since i laugh at him falling down the stairs but still

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

His twitter is down, but his spinster is still up, featuring this splash page with even more evil identities:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I want an illuminati tophat. It'll rent a tailed coat and make it my holloween consume.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

SimonChris posted:

His twitter is down, but his spinster is still up, featuring this splash page with even more evil identities:

Looks like a fun and welcoming store.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

SimonChris posted:

Over the years, I've noticed that pansexuality is kind of a litmus test. Like, if someone encounters the concept of pansexuality and immediately starts sputtering and acting like things are So Goddamned Crazy nowadays, you're just looking at a factory-standard homophobe that has learned how to be quiet about it.

also lmao oh no, not furries

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

War Wizard posted:

Looks like a fun and welcoming store.

Gonna swing by and pick up some Furry and Robot Gender.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'd like to know more about "pandemic sexual"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bennet's old style is so much better than his current one

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Accidentally based, lmao.

Also it’s interesting that Ishida is linking government spending to identity politics. I’m not sure how using new pronouns or whatever is supposed to break the bank.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Angepain posted:

It was a year ending in a number between 0 and 9 so abortion was a hot-button issue.

What were middle eastern stereotypes bombing in 1989?
I'm not old enough to remember this.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

readingatwork posted:

Accidentally based, lmao.

Also it’s interesting that Ishida is linking government spending to identity politics. I’m not sure how using new pronouns or whatever is supposed to break the bank.

He's talking about the subprime mortgage crisis, obviously. Obviously.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DalaranJ posted:

Plane bombs weren't unheard of in 1989, it's even a joke in airplane

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

He thinks that wearing masks is oppression, so pandemic sexual is anyone who doesn't think that

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

DalaranJ posted:

US Marine barracks in Beirut; marketplaces across the Middle East

It was a common enough stereotype that the GI Joe cartoon once had an episode in the fictional Middle Eastern country of Carbombistan and literally no one cared besides Casey Kasem

Edit: look up anecdotes first, SW, not after

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 5, 2021

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It’s the hot new slang for bug chasing.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

DalaranJ posted:

Lockerbie happened in 1988.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SimonChris posted:

I dunno why we're supposed to hate the place, seems nice. It's basically just a Spirit Halloween store with cooler lighting.

Come on, get some cat ears, and chill with a cool robot.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SimonChris posted:

Hell yeah I'm a Vulva Owner, they get great gas mileage.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Garrison gets a lot of poo poo for his bad metaphors and imagery, what with his repeated trend of "the guy I like is Don Quixote", but Ishida's mixed metaphors and self-defeating imagery are really in a class of their own. Pants Donkey and others have pointed this out already but I just can't get over how much this comic says the exact opposite of what he clearly intends.
Uncle Sam is a spoiled brat wasting OUR money but how dare they throw tomatoes at him, only I'M allowed to criticize him. He carelessly picks up an identity as a false, pretentious shield, but my enemies can see right through it and are not fooled by such flimsy signals and empty gestures! The identities I cling to are so outdated and obsolete nobody would want them, even if all other choices were off the table!
What the hell do you think you're proving here? Is this just a full-length self dunk?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

She's the only woman in the lineup. According to my knowledge of TV Law, no way this ID stands up in court.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal is sometimes political, at least in terms of socio-political commentary, and in my opinion has veered a little too often into the kind of sheltered suburbanite perspectives you might see out of Horsey, but today's is really something else.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

NSW premier Gladys Berejiklian.

Broelman:

Downes:

Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein will reduce his workload to focus on his health (ABC). "Tasmania's Premier has attributed his recent health crisis to overwork and will hand over several portfolios to colleagues in order to take better care of himself in future."

Knight:

Kudelka:

Spooner:

Leunig:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

As a non-Aussie, I literally cannot tell if this cartoon is supposed to be for or against an actual national plan.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Vib Rib posted:

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal is sometimes political, at least in terms of socio-political commentary, and in my opinion has veered a little too often into the kind of sheltered suburbanite perspectives you might see out of Horsey, but today's is really something else.

These aren’t arguments adults make, these are arguments fascist make. Or am I misunderstanding and were su-posed to agree with the kid? Either way what a loving mess.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Edmund Lava posted:

These aren’t arguments adults make, these are arguments fascist make. Or am I misunderstanding and were su-posed to agree with the kid? Either way what a loving mess.

Pretty sure we're supposed to agree with the kid.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I don't think you're supposed to agree with anyone in that comic. SMBC makes a lot comics where you're not supposed to agree with anyone in the comic because they're deranged.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It’s a cartoon that’s political. If we made it so only good political cartoons could be posted we’d have nothing to post
And yet Day By Day is still banned by the woke cancel culture mob :argh:

Speaking of if anyone is still entertained by Muir's brain worms, I checked in and he's retconned in that his self-insert has a 23 year old long lost Israeli-American Christian daughter who is trapped in Afghanistan thanks to Sleepy Joe Biden

Pants Donkey posted:

The lack of any coherent consistency is what kills me. The woke zombies hate America, including the Uncle Sam Mecha that Ishida has been using as a symbol of America’s bloated defense spending and power for over a decade. This is after a week of comics where Uncle Sam is shown as being a bratty kid who wants to run up the debt to play dress up with bad identities. So already, the woke zombies are more sympathetic attacking him because he’s A) America, a bad entity and B) Disingenuously buying up identities. You really have to build him up sympathetic for this to work, which being a longer Sunday strip might work.

Like he is such a bad writer it’s honestly staggering.
I think the problem is his beliefs are completely incoherent and 100% kneejerk reactionary so how can you possibly tell a comprehensible story if it's nothing but a vehicle for a mess of contradictory polemics.

Like he can't even decide if cops are good or bad. The violent woke mob is calling cops slurs which are just as bad as the n-word and chasing and beating cops for no reason, but also the cops are rounding up patriots on false charges and torturing 2021's dad and 2021 is really righteous and awesomely beating up cops but also the cops were abolished and they all went to work for evil corporations and now they really are bad (??????) :confused:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SimonChris posted:

"Menstruator"
"Vulva Owner"

Having a vulva is bad now. And I'm so loving tired of people menstruating every month, really chaps my rear end

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

VitalSigns posted:

"Menstruator"
"Vulva Owner"

Having a vulva is bad now. And I'm so loving tired of people menstruating every month, really chaps my rear end

Abortion activist have been using the phrase “people with uteruses” to not exclude trans people from the abortion debate. It’s just more spiteful transphobia.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
yeah, a few times some organisation relating to e.g. period poverty or abortion access or cervical cancer screenings or similar has referred to "menstruators" or "vulva owners" or other inclusive language, so as to include people with the relevant plumbing that don't identify as women. Now, modifying existing terms while still being understandable is always going to lead to a bit of awkward-sounding terminology, especially when there isn't a totally accepted inclusive term to use, but the criticism from terfs is less along these lines and more that the transes are abolishing the concept of "woman" and will henceforth force us all to refer to ourselves as Bleeding Vaginas With Flesh Surrounding, no other word will be accepted in any context by the Woke. you know, reasonable conclusions that one makes when one approaches a topic in good faith.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Neo_Crimson posted:

I don't think you're supposed to agree with anyone in that comic. SMBC makes a lot comics where you're not supposed to agree with anyone in the comic because they're deranged.

I'm looking at the way that the parent is framed and the fact that the kid has the final "Actually yes I am the dumb and so goddamn crazy one" line and thinking that maybe we are supposed to agree with the parent.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I mean, it's very Manichean to assume a comic strip must have one right person and one wrong person; "five panels of one person revealing they are DASGC followed by the other person revealing they are DerASGCer" is an actual punchline

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Edmund Lava posted:

Abortion activist have been using the phrase “people with uteruses” to not exclude trans people from the abortion debate. It’s just more spiteful transphobia.

Yeah I know, it's just you have to be so deep in culture war nonsense to even know that let alone give a poo poo.

I remember when these same dipshits were freaking out because forms started asking for parents' names instead of "mother and father". Because the loony left is trying to erase motherhood, my kids aren't going to know what mothers and fathers are!

"Menstruators" is my favorite though because even in TERF world you need a more specific term than "women" to address people who menstruate because a whoooooole lotta women don't menstruate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

skeleton warrior posted:

I mean, it's very Manichean to assume a comic strip must have one right person and one wrong person; "five panels of one person revealing they are DASGC followed by the other person revealing they are DerASGCer" is an actual punchline

There's also the framing of the whole thing as "Actually, heh, if you think about it, this issue is more nuanced than we think" which is old-internet-athiest crack and exactly the sort of thing SMBC was and is hugely into. SMBC is pretty obvious when it is saying one side of something is right and the other one is wrong, and if it's just musing and taking a stupid position on purpose it'd be the two kids in the snow doing it.