Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

All I was saying to the original post about that episode was, "Goddamn that was hosed up. So hosed up I removed the episode from my mind".

Your post was, to my mind, such a massive misinterpretation of my post that I was wondering what the hell you were trying to get at. I actually was confused at how we got from "ugh, that was so hosed up, I deleted it from my memories of the show" to "Are you saying this is about Abu Ghraib?"

But I'm happy to accept we were both talking past each other there.

Ah I see, yeah looks like it :)

For reference, I was thinking about this post when I added the Abu Ghraib edit:

bunnyofdoom posted:

God the loving tragedy if GoT ending is that it made me go back and re-watch battlestar galactica during the pandemic because the gold star of lovely ending of a good show was that til GoT and woo-boy it wears it's ppst 9/11 poo poo like a badge of honour

Edit: what a snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

One bad Scrubs plot is Elliot sleeping with a subordinate and giving him preferential treatment because of it, and the lesson JD learns is to support Elliot when the other subordinates complain about it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

That Italian Guy posted:

Ah I see, yeah looks like it :)

For reference, I was thinking about this post when I added the Abu Ghraib edit:

Edit: what a snipe.

Now it all makes sense :)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

bobjr posted:

One bad Scrubs plot is Elliot sleeping with a subordinate and giving him preferential treatment because of it, and the lesson JD learns is to support Elliot when the other subordinates complain about it.

extremely jd thing to do tbh

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Sunswipe posted:

So one of the actors is good and there's a couple of sight gags. I dunno, this isn't winning me over from my position of "This movie was boring as poo poo and a terrible representation of the characters." I think I might have fallen through a hole in reality from an alternate universe.

Yeah you fell in from the dumbass opinion zone

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Spider-Man 2 wasn’t boring. 3 was boring. It was the only movie I ever fell asleep in a theatre during.

2 was cheesy but that’s like most of the well known stories that aren’t just spider mans life suck

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

Spider-Man 2 wasn’t boring. 3 was boring. It was the only movie I ever fell asleep in a theatre during.

2 was cheesy but that’s like most of the well known stories that aren’t just spider mans life suck

2 was just a bit too long and had hosed up pacing but that was pretty standard for early-mid 2000’s superhero movies.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

It's usually just called the Forums around here

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Calico Heart posted:

Have you been seething over my post for a month now and finally thought of that comeback?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

bobjr posted:

To be fair, it was mixed messaging. Keith was the best intern but Elliot loving him didn't let people see it so JD said he would take over assignments and give them to the best intern, who was Keith.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Been said before but I think it's inevitable with every comedy and drama that goes on too long, every character ends up a cartoonish parody of themselves.

The only show where I think this works in its favor is Always Sunny. Though some disagree, I think it only makes sense. The longer the gang depends on each other to insulate themselves in their own toxic traits and their refusal to ever become better people, the more deranged, sad, and pathetic they become.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The only show where I think this works in its favor is Always Sunny. Though some disagree, I think it only makes sense. The longer the gang depends on each other to insulate themselves in their own toxic traits and their refusal to ever become better people, the more deranged, sad, and pathetic they become.

They even directly mention this a few times in the later seasons. Isn’t it a big part of why Dennis wanted to leave at the end of season…12 I think?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Spider-Man 3 wasn't good but the things people most commonly hate about it aren't even the worst parts. Peter Parker doing Saturday Night Fever was great you philistines!!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot about the black suit Peter Parker sequences make sense considering it's basically a metaphor for a total dork who gets into cocaine.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It was possibly the best sequence in the movie but Spider-Man is seemingly a serious character to his fans.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Personally I'm gonna say Iron Man didn't age well for me because the final battle skips over a perfectly good way to end the fight and just drags on instead, which seemingly inspired every other Marvel movie to have endless, meaningless action sequences.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sam Raimi's Spider-Man wasn't perfect but I feel like he was the only director of superhero movies that really embraced the fundamental camp of the genre. Every comic book movie that is now 4 miserable hours long and demands to be taken with the utmost sincerity makes me long for the days of the Green Goblin skeletonizing city hall with wacky music playing in the background.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The problem with Sam Raimi's Spider-Man is that it wasn't based on the newspaper comic version of the character. I want a Spider-Man who's an angry moron. I want a Peter Parker who goes to the doctor with his Spider-Man costume on underneath his clothes; who buys a plane ticket as Peter Parker and shows up to the airport as Spider-Man; who barges into the TV station to debate the newsreader who said something bad about him, and loses. That's a hero I can relate to.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tiggum posted:

The problem with Sam Raimi's Spider-Man is that it wasn't based on the newspaper comic version of the character. I want a Spider-Man who's an angry moron. I want a Peter Parker who goes to the doctor with his Spider-Man costume on underneath his clothes; who buys a plane ticket as Peter Parker and shows up to the airport as Spider-Man; who barges into the TV station to debate the newsreader who said something bad about him, and loses. That's a hero I can relate to.

I'd say that they should have Newspaper Spider-Man either in No Way Home or the Into the Spider-Verse sequel, but I don't know who could possibly play him.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

Sam Raimi's Spider-Man wasn't perfect but I feel like he was the only director of superhero movies that really embraced the fundamental camp of the genre. Every comic book movie that is now 4 miserable hours long and demands to be taken with the utmost sincerity makes me long for the days of the Green Goblin skeletonizing city hall with wacky music playing in the background.

Yea they were cheesy, but it was done with absolute loving reverence for Stan Lee’s cheesy rear end style.. trying to cram in venom to that milleu absolutely didn’t work. I think he did the best he could, and I like his very Stan lee ish take on venom and Eddie, but I think venom proper should have been left out for another movie.

Edit I forgot the very dumb butler “oh I never told you your dad was the green goblin and died fighting spider-man? Something that would have saved everyone a lot of trouble? Weird.”

Ambitious Spider has a new favorite as of 14:29 on Sep 5, 2021

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I never saw the Garfield Spiders-man but Tom Holland brings an earnest twinkishness to the role and really the only emotion I have ever felt about Tugboat Maguire is wanting to beat him with a shovel

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean there is some camp in superhero comics but I feel it’s a lot less than some people who I guess don’t read comics tend to imagine

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Like early Spider-Man not only wasn’t very campy but was actively mean spirited.

It mellowed out thankfully but still

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MCU is too afraid of emotions to be sincere.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I never saw the Garfield Spiders-man but Tom Holland brings an earnest twinkishness to the role and really the only emotion I have ever felt about Tugboat Maguire is wanting to beat him with a shovel

Erm... excuse me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k1VuH6GNBw

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Disney marvel movies play things so straight that they’re boring while also poisoning any genuine emotion with ironic distance. I keep thinking about that scene in Dr. Strange where his cape wipes his tears away seconds after his mentor dies and he does some dumb quip about it right before a cut to another scene.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Armitag3 posted:

Erm... excuse me?
no

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

I know the symbiote isn't meant to be turning him evil per se, but I always love the idea of the hero turning evil and then his ideas of what that is being incredibly low-stakes and petty.

Superman turns evil? His idea of villainy is straightening the leaning tower.

Peter turns evil? Finger guns in the street.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tobey owns. You don’t get a shovel

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Tobey owns. You don’t get a shovel
He doesn't and you aren't the boss of shovels

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I like Tobey Maguire but it's hard to tell how much liking him as Spiderman is a nostalgia thing versus him being a great fit for the role. Tbh I buy him more as a nerd than a superhero (a la Pleasantville, for example)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Cleretic posted:

I'd say that they should have Newspaper Spider-Man either in No Way Home or the Into the Spider-Verse sequel, but I don't know who could possibly play him.

Isn't there a newspaper Spiderman scene in the post credits from Spiderverse?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

He doesn't and you aren't the boss of shovels

I actually am. My middle name is shovel boss

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That Italian Guy posted:

Isn't there a newspaper Spiderman scene in the post credits from Spiderverse?

No, that was old cartoon Spider-Man.

In the comic book Spiderverse story there is a bit where a bad guy ends up in the Newspaper reality but leaves when he realizes that he can't deal with how things work there.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I like Tobey Maguire but it's hard to tell how much liking him as Spiderman is a nostalgia thing versus him being a great fit for the role. Tbh I buy him more as a nerd than a superhero (a la Pleasantville, for example)

Yeah, Tobey sells the dopey earnestness of Peter Parker pretty well, but he definitely doesn't have the chatty snark Spidey needs

I feel like the Insomniac Spider-Man game does the best job of portraying Spider-Man in recent media. He's brilliant, he's heroic, he's a jibber-jabbering snarkypants whose life is constantly almost coming apart at the seams. Being Spider-Man needs to suck and be awesome at the same time, and both the writing and Yuri Lowenthal's performance really sell it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

muscles like this! posted:

No, that was old cartoon Spider-Man.

In the comic book Spiderverse story there is a bit where a bad guy ends up in the Newspaper reality but leaves when he realizes that he can't deal with how things work there.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Tiggum posted:

I would also have accepted "Super Spidey Stories" Spiderman.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I keep thinking about that scene in Dr. Strange where his cape wipes his tears away seconds after his mentor dies and he does some dumb quip about it right before a cut to another scene.

This doesn’t actually happen, though, and it always baffles me when some people seem to think it does. There’s a whole earnest scene between Strange and Christine after the Ancient One dies. It’s only after that, several minutes later when Strange is psyching himself up before going back into battle that the cape wipes his tears away. The emotional moment is given plenty of time to breathe.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

christmas boots posted:

I know the symbiote isn't meant to be turning him evil per se, but I always love the idea of the hero turning evil and then his ideas of what that is being incredibly low-stakes and petty.

Superman turns evil? His idea of villainy is straightening the leaning tower.

Peter turns evil? Finger guns in the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbtW58x08GE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The animated Justice League was so great.