Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FCKGW posted:

My robot vacuum is named Dusty :3:

Nice. This kids named ours Dustin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
My paper shredder is named Ollie.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just bought a house after renting for the last 19 years. What equipment do I need to buy? I've got a couple of headlamps already. Also there are no curtains in it, that seems like a day 1 buy.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Home Depot is your new best friend. (Or whatever the closest home center is)

I’m sure there’s better checklist out there online for new homeowners

Off the top of my head:

A ladder of some sort. Start off with a small one for inside the house. A step platform works too.

Basic homeowner toolkit with a hammer, screwdrivers, pliers, etc.

A decent drill and assorted bits can come in handy. Ryobi at Home Depot is a good compromise between cost and quality for the average homeowner.

A shop vac for the garage. These come in real handy.

If you going to touch anything electrical I suggest getting a non contact tester and an outlet tester.

A roll of Teflon and electrical tape and, always handy to have those around. Some sort of duck tape as well. I like the gorilla brand stuff.

A bag to keep all your tools and crap in.

Over the years you will accumulate lots of stuff, and here’s no hurry to buy it all now. Making multiple trips a day to Home Depot or Lowe’s is a homeowner right of passage, don’t cheat yourself of the experience.

Oh, buy a plunger for every bathroom in the house. I don’t know if it’s just me, but someone usually clogs the toilet soon after moving in.

Don’t stress, there’s lots of time to take care of everything.

I’m a blinds guy. I put in 2” faux wood blinds as soon as I moved in. I’ve got cats though so no curtains in my house.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Local > Ace > Lowes > Home Depot

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Also buy at least one five gallon bucket.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I have between 7 and 12 homer buckets around the house, in various states of cleanliness

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Get a stud finder. Super useful, fairly inexpensive.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Also buy at least one five gallon bucket.

Like that's per trip right? It's a shopping basket and later is a trash bin, fish tank cleaning bucket, stuff holder, car wash bucket, stoop, chair.. tht list goes on.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Like that's per trip right? It's a shopping basket and later is a trash bin, fish tank cleaning bucket, stuff holder, car wash bucket, stoop, chair.. tht list goes on.

Hit the bottom with a drill a few times and it's the cheapest large plant pot in the store.

edit: by like. . . a third. I think similarly sized purpose designed plant pots cost like $15.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Speaking of buying stuff, any shop vac recommendations?

Our screen porch is basically finished, and I'm realizing that the gaps between boards are a nice little trap for debris on account of the screen right below it. So regular vacuuming will probably become a thing. But our garage gets gunked up a lot with spider webs/leaves/etc., so it'd be nice to have a proper shop vac to use outdoors.

Probably going to take the regular vacuum out there today, but the only wet/dry vac we have is like a 1 gallon deal. Had to empty the washer once when a baby sock got stuck in the drain pump... took forever because I kept having to empty the thing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've been slowly buying into Bosh's 12v cordless system after seeing all the sailing guys using them. They have a starter drill + impact and charger with two batteries for $99 on sale. Recently picked up their 12v cordless skill saw thing. It's been a huge improvement, I'll never go back to cords again

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/12v-max-cordless-power-tools-37932-c/

You have to order them online though, the big box stores hardly carry Bosh equipment for some reason

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Yea stud finder gets a LOT of use in the first year of ownership.

Aside from tools, here’s stuff that’s easy to do now and an incredible chore later:
  • clean the gently caress out of every single cabinet flat-space and then put contact paper over it.
  • Install pull-out cabinet racking in all bottom-rack cabinet space.
  • Spend time thinking a lot about rugs. Buy a rug or three. Arrange them before the floor gets hosed up and you have existing furniture everywhere.
  • throughly clean out the (probably) concrete surfaces in any utility room / storage areas. Once you start stuffing things in there it’s never gonna happen. It’s really nice to crawl around in a space that you know is clean enough to lick the floors; it’s yucky and lovely to crawl around on filth.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

gently caress the fact that a $5 stud finder uses a $7 9v battery

The good news (I guess) is that you can reuse the battery in your smoke alarm when it starts chirping at 11:59pm on a Tuesday in your bedroom because of low battery

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

DaveSauce posted:

Our screen porch is basically finished, and I'm realizing that the gaps between boards are a nice little trap for debris on account of the screen right below it. So regular vacuuming will probably become a thing. But our garage gets gunked up a lot with spider webs/leaves/etc., so it'd be nice to have a proper shop vac to use outdoors.

Probably going to take the regular vacuum out there today, but the only wet/dry vac we have is like a 1 gallon deal. Had to empty the washer once when a baby sock got stuck in the drain pump... took forever because I kept having to empty the thing.

I have this with the HEPA filter and bags, it's great. Honestly probably overkill for what you need so maybe get one of the smaller versions? https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-12-Gal-5-0-Peak-HP-NXT-Wet-Dry-Shop-Vacuum-with-Filter-Hose-and-Accessories-HD1200/304006023

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Seconding Ridgid for the shop vac rec. I think I got that same 12 gallon model, in fact. It's so fuckin good.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

DaveSauce posted:

I went with 12 gallon because they have a 5hp motor and are as big as I need and can store in my garage. The smaller ones generally have weaker motors. For whatever reason I felt like I needed to start at 5hp peak and it's crazy how much suction it has compared to my little 2 gallon and my Dyson vac.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-12-Gal-5-0-Peak-HP-NXT-Wet-Dry-Shop-Vacuum-with-Filter-Hose-and-Accessories-HD1200/304006023

Or this one which comes with a bunch of car detailing stuff which is handy because the normal vac accessories are more rigid to use in tight spaces and you get an extra hose.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-..._-206985754-_-N

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 5, 2021

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it! I look forward to finally moving next month, and pulling up to my new house that burned down or something before I could get to it

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
House Ownership Thread: Buy this 12 gallon Rigid shop vac

Seriously thanks guys, it's been on my to-do list for a while, and it's great when there's a quick consensus on a particular item.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Long shot but any chance someone out there has a 15% off (or better!) Crate & Barrel coupon they wouldn't mind sharing? I am about to pull the trigger on a sofa by tomorrow and figured I could score one from the USPS change of address coupon bundle but they don't offer C&B coupons in that any longer it seems.

Edit: bought one off eBay and just used it to save about $400!

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 5, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Hadlock posted:

The good news (I guess) is that you can reuse the battery in your smoke alarm when it starts chirping at 11:59pm on a Tuesday in your bedroom because of low battery

Electronic Stud finders suck.

This thing is loving awesome

1-in Scan Depth Metal and Wood Stud Finder https://www.lowes.com/pd/C-H-Hanson-1-in-Scan-Depth-Metal-and-Wood-Stud-Finder/1000795610

Not kidding, it works without fail nearly every time if you know the trick. Even on lathe and plaster. Tie a piece of string/twine to the hook and dangle it while you search instead of holding the finder itself. The thing is god drat magic, and you’ll never hit a screw again.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hit the bottom with a drill a few times and it's the cheapest large plant pot in the store.

edit: by like. . . a third. I think similarly sized purpose designed plant pots cost like $15.

Just make sure you (or your wife, not that anyone is speaking about any specific experiences here) plans to use them as planters for more than one year, lest you end up with a dozen buckets that don’t hold water. This is a super good solution if you don’t care about looks, though. We’ve done tomatoes and peppers both in 5 gallon buckets - did you know you can pop your peppers into a closet in your house over winter and they’ll come back the next year better than ever?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Hadlock posted:

I buy batteries at the warehouse store. Sams/Costco/BJ or whatever is around you. 10 pack at sams for 15 bucks. Costco has 8 Duracell 9v for 19 bucks

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lawnie posted:

did you know you can pop your peppers into a closet in your house over winter and they’ll come back the next year better than ever?

Ok, so I've read this a few places and how's that work? I've got like . . . six or seven buckets full of pepper plants and they're not going to over winter well here. Last year I just put them inside and called them houseplants over the winter, but I'd like to avoid that this time around.

Do you cut them down first? I'm reading online about people cutting off the main trunk/stem thing with like 3 inches poking out above.

Do you water them at all? Again, seeing people saying that you just slash them and throw them someplace dark with no water for a bunch of months and they'll come back when you splash some on.

I'm just skeptical as hell and don't want to kill my peppers, but if that's all it takes gently caress it I'll start cutting and starving them.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Electronic Stud finders suck.

This thing is loving awesome

1-in Scan Depth Metal and Wood Stud Finder https://www.lowes.com/pd/C-H-Hanson-1-in-Scan-Depth-Metal-and-Wood-Stud-Finder/1000795610

Not kidding, it works without fail nearly every time if you know the trick. Even on lathe and plaster. Tie a piece of string/twine to the hook and dangle it while you search instead of holding the finder itself. The thing is god drat magic, and you’ll never hit a screw again.

I was going to recommend the same stud finder, it owned while over-baby proofing my house and having all the hooks only work on studs.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ok, so I've read this a few places and how's that work? I've got like . . . six or seven buckets full of pepper plants and they're not going to over winter well here. Last year I just put them inside and called them houseplants over the winter, but I'd like to avoid that this time around.

Do you cut them down first? I'm reading online about people cutting off the main trunk/stem thing with like 3 inches poking out above.

Do you water them at all? Again, seeing people saying that you just slash them and throw them someplace dark with no water for a bunch of months and they'll come back when you splash some on.

I'm just skeptical as hell and don't want to kill my peppers, but if that's all it takes gently caress it I'll start cutting and starving them.

I've always been too chicken to try to force mine into dormancy (seeing as they are evergreen hot climate plants) so I also just have them as houseplants. I just put them in pretty ceramic pots so they look nice while inside. :shrug:

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

I just bought a house after renting for the last 19 years. What equipment do I need to buy? I've got a couple of headlamps already. Also there are no curtains in it, that seems like a day 1 buy.

Figure out what you need to cut off gas/water service as early on as you can.. in my case I needed a weird pentagon socket (got from amazon) for the water meter, and some random wrench size for the gas meter. While you don't want to use these generally, if something happens where you need it, you'll definitely be happy needing it.

If by some chance your house came with a washing machine, consider replacing the hoses to it immediately. People like to buy the cheapest possible rubber hoses and then never replace them... but that's bad news when they break!

Carbon monoxide detector if you've got any gas appliances and the house doesn't already have one.

A plug in LED work like this one will generally come in handy: https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-1000-Lumen-LED-Portable-Work-Light/1000706048

I hope you accounted for distance to hardware store when buying your house! I'm actually annoyed my local Lowes has been moving stuff around.. I had already memorized where everything in the store was :(

Figure out which hardware store is closest and sign up for their credit card (*after* you close).. the discount that they offer definitely adds up over time.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Motronic posted:

I've got a gigantic wood and plastic wicker sectional and chair and they're super comfortable. It makes the patio get a lot more use.

This stuff. I think we got it from Wayfair.

Just wanna say your house looks absolutely primed for your high school-aged son to have an American Pie-style beer party while you're out of town

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

devicenull posted:

Figure out which hardware store is closest and sign up for their credit card (*after* you close).. the discount that they offer definitely adds up over time.

Does it?

Home Depot looks like $100 off a $1000 purchase one time and that’s it?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

redreader posted:

I was thinking about this a little longer.

My thoughts are to always buy the tools as needed for a job and collect over time vs trying to buy everything now, obviously you'll need some stuff now. Eventually you'll have enough tools that you won't need to keep buying the more jobs you tackle. Also look at local tool libraries to borrow stuff you don't need often. I have one literally a block away from my house. Also buy nothing is incredible. Lots of people getting rid of all kinds of stuff including tools etc

Homeowners tool kit. Costco has a $99 Stanley or dewalt tool kit that has almost everything you would need as a starter kit from 1/4,3/8, and 1/2" sockets and wrenches to screw drivers, bits and hex wrenches. Metric and standard. Ive rarely used standard in the last 20 years but house stuff tends to be standard more then you would think. Is it the best? No but it's more then most people need and decent quality.

Add a Ryobi drill and or impact driver. As said earlier, Ryobi is a nice system to get into but. Low cost, tons of tools, great batteries and good performance. Buy one of their bit kits for $20, it will likely have every bit you'll ever need. All of the tools are pretty good now but certain brands are premium priced. To each their own but look at the tool systems and see what they have to offer within the battery system.

A nice sized level, a square, and stud finder are also helpful.

A hammer. Don't go crazy on a giant gently caress all roofers hammer.

6' ladder for around the house, higher or lower depending on needs, Werner composite is a great choice. Might need an extension ladder for outside depending on the height of your house. A small step stool for inside has been really handy.

Homer buckets from home Depot. Get a few, you'll use them more than you think. I've used my buckets as a dirt bike stand many times. The buckets from Lowes are brittle and the bottoms break easily.

A 50-100' garden hose with a sprayer. A hose reel makes life easier. Quick connectors are a god send. I liked the lightweight expandable hoses but they just don't last.

Goo gone, simple green, fast orange. For getting gunk off things, for degreasing, and cleaning your hands after.

Seconding the no contact voltage tester and outlet testers. Helpful for knowing if an outlet/fixture is hot/wired incorrectly etc.

For yard stuff, it depends on your yard and your needs. If you don't need gas powered stuff, the battery powered tools now are pretty great and no small engine repair/carb tuning/gas mixing/noise issues. Most systems offer a low powered battery option (18-20v) compatible with most drills, saws etc and high powered (40-80v), Ryobi for example has 18v and 40v offerings. Some people just need gas powered yard equipment due to the size of the yard, primarily mowers and trimmers and there's no getting around it. Gloves are also a nice thing to have around. Kynco or some other leather utility glove. I have some deer/goat leather gloves that I wear for yard work and other jobs my hands might get abused. Mechanix classic gloves are my favorite. Great fit, dexterity, etc. They keep my hands and knuckles from getting cut up or as dirty as they normally would.

A good utility knife goes a long way. I got an olfa knife when I went to art school 20 years ago and I still use it almost daily. Either break off or replaceable blade style.

Extension cords. Holy poo poo. I used them occasionally around the rental house. I've lived by them once we moved into our home. A few different sizes, 20-50'. I've got one with three prongs. You use more than you think.

Lastly good safety glasses.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for all of the great tips everyone.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

devicenull posted:

I signed up for the Lowes card yesterday evening and saved $100 on my new $600 grill. 5% off everything thereafter, might as well.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

spf3million posted:

my new $600 grill

someone plans on tasting the meat not the heat

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

spf3million posted:

I signed up for the Lowes card yesterday evening and saved $100 on my new $600 grill. 5% off everything thereafter, might as well.

What did you get? I'm eyeballing the Weber E-330.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Does it?

Home Depot looks like $100 off a $1000 purchase one time and that’s it?

Oh wow, the Lowes card gives you 5% off everything... I just assumed the Home Depot one was similar.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Verman posted:

Extension cords. Holy poo poo. I used them occasionally around the rental house. I've lived by them once we moved into our home. A few different sizes, 20-50'. I've got one with three prongs. You use more than you think.

*good* extension cords. Don't buy the lovely 16/3 ones under any circumstances. 14/3 is the bare minimum, 12/3 if you're planning on running anything like power tools on the other end. While you're at it, get some velcro straps and learn how to over/under wrap them.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

devicenull posted:

Oh wow, the Lowes card gives you 5% off everything... I just assumed the Home Depot one was similar.

Nah the Lowe’s card is a way better deal.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Verman posted:

I was thinking about this a little longer.

*Snip*

Lastly good safety glasses.

Hearing protection. With spares if friends or family are stopping by to help.

Several sets of work gloves.

I still have a missing tape measure somewhere in the house, plus the three replacements on the work bench.

Really I guess my stance is that if you have help coming by, try to have things on hand. Maybe it means you get a basic hammer or screwdriver first, then a nicer one later, because multiples is not bad and you're not dropping a ton of money at the start

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Tyro posted:

What did you get? I'm eyeballing the Weber E-330.
I got the Weber E-310. I looked around at the cheaper other brands they had in stock and they just felt too flimsy. Webers and others in the similar price range felt way more substantial.

I didn't do as much research as I'd usually do on purchases like this but needed to buy a grill on Friday because we were having people over last night.

I wasn't really sure how many BTUs I really needed but wanted at least 24" across and didn't want/need the side accessory burner. Also wanted the ceramic coated flame deflectors and grating. Put it all together yesterday in about an hour. Nice instructions and happy with the steaks we threw on there last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

devicenull posted:

*good* extension cords. Don't buy the lovely 16/3 ones under any circumstances. 14/3 is the bare minimum, 12/3 if you're planning on running anything like power tools on the other end. While you're at it, get some velcro straps and learn how to over/under wrap them.

The over/under wrap took awhile for me to get my head around but when I finally learned it, it seriously is crazy useful.