Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Check out the zojirushi with the coating (not the raw stainless steel).

In addition to insane temperature retention, I find that as long as you’re using a bottle brush to clean it it barely holds onto smell. I exclusively drink coffee out of it and can still get away with water even with just a rinse.

This a thousand times. If you have the patience to let it, what's the fartsniffer term, bloom? for a half hour to an hour, that's the best coffee you ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BrianBoitano posted:

I'm two weeks into my Flair Neo + JX Pro life and I am about ready to throw away my pour-over grinder + setup. The flexibility to quickly make any espresso drink is exciting, and it's only very slightly longer time for a single shot, ~5 minutes more if I do another one for later.. I currently even prefer an Americano over pour over if I'm feeling like a simple drink. I do two 12g brews instead of one 26g pour-over so my coffee is going a touch further too.

All that said, I'm in the honeymoon period so I'll be back on my lazy bullshit soon enough. Still, no way you could convince me to do a pod system at this point.

Hey which neo you get and did you do any upgrades? How is it doing back to back shots?

I’m thinking about just using some cheap bustelo espresso with one now since I only have a Baratza virtuoso and then maybe getting a hand grinder down the road. Neo has a 20% coupon today and tomorrow.

Edit: and why did you go with the JX Pro over the Royal espresso grinder flair makes?

nwin fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 5, 2021

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I got bottomless portafilter and pressure gauge. Back to back isn't bad. Assuming you can start boiling water while doing other things. When I had 2 weeks of experience this was my timing:

6:30 from nothing to shot 1
14:00 from nothing to 2 shots
17:00 from nothing to 2 shots, all cleaned up

This is all with 3 boiling water preheats of the brew head, until the water stabilizes at 200°F (personal preference). Quicker if you're not doing 13g in a hand grinder and taping yourself, and also better after practicing a bit more.

JX-Pro was 100% based on this thread, I didn't even research Flair's grinder so I can't weigh in there!

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 5, 2021

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BrianBoitano posted:

I got bottomless portafilter and pressure gauge. Back to back isn't bad. Assuming you can start boiling water while doing other things. When I had 2 weeks of experience this was my timing:

6:30 from nothing to shot 1
14:00 from nothing to 2 shots
17:00 from nothing to 2 shots, all cleaned up

This is all with 3 boiling water preheats of the brew head, until the water stabilizes at 200°F (personal preference). Quicker if you're not doing 13g in a hand grinder and taping yourself, and also better after practicing a bit more.

JX-Pro was 100% based on this thread, I didn't even research Flair's grinder so I can't weigh in there!

Thanks-I saw your post when you tried using the bottomless PF without a proper grinder. Did you ever try the bottomless PF with pre-ground coffee?

Trying to decide between the Neo + bottomless + temp gauge so I have the pressurized PF to use when I have pre/ground or a crappy grind…

-or-

Go for the signature right off the bat. I won’t have the pressurized PF but I’ll have a tamper…

Edit: it looks like the “dosing cup” with the neo acts as a tamper as well, so that’s fine. I’m confused with the accessories though:

What’s the difference between getting the gauge and bottomless 2 in 1 separately or in the group for $79.20? It seems more expensive to get the set without getting anything in addition unless I’m missing something. I guess I get a separate Brew head but I’m not sure what that would really do for me.

nwin fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 5, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The $79 one comes with an extra brew head thing. So you can prepare an extra espresso shot without emptying your old one. Guess it's useful if you're making espresso for two.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That's exactly it. You wouldn't need to disassemble (un-plunge) and rinse out a hot brew head before prepping your second puck.

I'm close to buying a dedicated (Flair only due to unique size) tamper, since it does double duty as tamper and un-plunger and rinsing and drying it between shots is a bit annoying. Plus the plastic tamp is juuust a bit too small and it leaves a small bit of grounds untamed.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

aldantefax posted:

I'm shooting for 400 USD (MSRP is 600). It works fine, it was a direct refurb from Baratza pre-acquisition (they even gave it to me instead of repairing the 270 I had before it!) but it's just kinda noisy and I'd prefer a change of pace.

The Acaia scale inside of it is a little pointless since I single dose most of the time and when I did fill the hopper it had a tendency to do odd things with the sensor. It produces fine espresso grinds, very fluffy and easy to tamp with. Since I have a smaller portafilter using a La Pavoni Professional, it also tends to get slightly messier as a result (volcano effect and such).

Whoops, meant to get back to you on this earlier - gonna do a little more research, I also tend to single dose anyway so I'm not sure how much used I'd get out of the built-in scale either.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BrianBoitano posted:

That's exactly it. You wouldn't need to disassemble (un-plunge) and rinse out a hot brew head before prepping your second puck.

I'm close to buying a dedicated (Flair only due to unique size) tamper, since it does double duty as tamper and un-plunger and rinsing and drying it between shots is a bit annoying. Plus the plastic tamp is juuust a bit too small and it leaves a small bit of grounds untamed.

I think you mentioned you do two back-to-back shots. Do you have an extra brew head? If not, how much of a pain in the rear end is it?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Not a huge pain. 5-7 minutes per shot could only realistically go down to 4-5 if I had a second brew head and really cared, so only if I make a lot of espresso loving friends after the pandemic in ~2025

The main thing with the Neo instead of a Pro is dose size. Maxes out at 14 to maaaybe 16g in and max output maybe 40g

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Anyone here own and use a Londinium R24?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Didn’t pull the trigger on the Flair. I’ll wait for a Black Friday sale or something else, but I need to see if it’s worth having more espresso to make in a larger brew head or not, plus if I want to deal with the whole process flow it takes.

As an aside, I have low standards. The best shot I ever had was from a super automatic off a oil tanker manned by a crew from Italy. Even with my crossland CC1 and my Vario, I didn’t come close to it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Looking for a reality check here. As I've been looking at videos and reviews of the Flair, I've quickly gone down the rabbit hole yet again.

I 100% don't have a lot of time in the morning for days I go to the office, which is half the week. On those days I make a moka pot with Cafe Bustelo and brew another cup with a Baratza Encore/CCD when I'm in the office. When I'm at home, I brew through a Virtuoso/Moccamaster for my wife and I. My wife doesn't care about coffee-she gladly uses a K-cup on days I work and then goes to her cold brew that I make her every few days.

I love coffee. I've home-roasted before and at one point I bought a Vario and Crossland CC1. I got out of it because I got frustrated after a month of not pulling a great shot and didn't want to sit down and learn. I was also drinking all my mistakes so I was way too jittery in a hurry.

I'm looking at something I could use in the morning/mid-morning when I work from home and on the weekends. Again, my wife won't use this-she doesn't care about milk drinks-give her a cold brew and she's more than happy.

Here's where my research has led:

-I'm comfortable buying a hand grinder for espresso (something like the 1Zpresso JX-pro) but am not going to upgrade my Virtuoso or buy a second more expensive electric grinder.

-Milk drinks are nice, but not a necessity at all. A simple shot is great.

Here's the machines I'm thinking of and what I think the pros/cons are:

Flair Classic w/ pressure gauge plus a hand grinder
-cost is around $300-350 total (I’ve got a line on a used classic for $150 shipped and it comes with the gauge).
-seems to get decent results
-no milk drinks unless I get a separate frother
-easy to store
-kind of a pain from a workflow process.
-no need to do a weekly/monthly descale, just run water through it for a quick cleanup

Delonghi Esam3300
-high cost around $650
-seems to do everything I want
-time saver with great results.
-cons are price and more counter space
-maintenance is required

Gaggia Classic/Rancilio Silvia
-can be found used for fairly cheap
-known workhorses
-cons are temp surfing, probably needing a new grinder or use the 1Zpresso JX-Pro for hand grinding
-can make milk drinks
-more counter space

I think the Delonghi makes the most sense from an ease of use perspective. However, I’m not sure I want to deal with the counter space being used or if I would need a new grinder. If I’m only pulling one shot, I don’t mind hand grinding that because I’d be doing the same thing with the Flair anyways (albeit a bit more coffee, 15g vs 18g?)

Right now I think my two options are either going with the Flair Classic plus a hand grinder OR looking for a used Delonghi. What do you think? Option 3 is I continue to review this and ultimately find a new hobby as I move on to something else…

Edit: this is a used delonghi but I’m a bit hesitant https://www.ebay.com/itm/3041123470...7Cclp%3A2332490

nwin fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 8, 2021

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm a Flair guy but it sounds like you do so many different kinds of coffee that you'd benefit from something more straightforward, in the Delonghi. I pulled two shots a day for the first few weeks, I enjoyed them but on week 3 I actually nailed it and said whoa I had no idea this was possible. Granted this is with light roast which is harder to get right, but the same learning curve only pulling one shot every other day would be a lengthy process.

Again I was always happy, I never threw any down the drain because they were always passable in an Americano or as a flat white. But it sounds like you're already a bit "over" dial in challenges.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I picked up one of these at a thrift store for cheap:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194043514674?hash=item2d2de50f32:g:1cAAAOSwUQdgekRL

It's like 90% as good as the vintage La Cimbali we have.

It didn't come with a portafilter so I found a bottomless one that would work with it.
I've been using it a lot lately since the heating element in the La Cimbali exploded.

The steaming of milk on it is slow but you can get pretty good micro foam with the right technique.

Anyways something else to consider before you drop $300+ on that delonghi

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

You're absolutely right that espresso at home is a hobby, and it can be hard to square that with needing some coffee on a certain schedule in the morning. You haven't said what your budget strictly is but the machines you've mentioned are all very much entry-level-espresso machines, and most of the things in that category (with the exception of the superauto) sacrifice workflow for low cost. Single-boiler semiautos are very much something you have to tinker with to get right, either by learning to temp surf or by installing an aftermarket pid or something, and of course totally manual devices like the flair are another step above that in terms of what they ask from the operator. The superauto improves the workflow but you sacrifice some of the hobby tinkerability. It's up to you how important that is - it's hard to tell from your post whether you value it or want to avoid it.

One way out of this dilemma is to spend more money. Single-boiler semiautos don't have great workflows out of the box but upgrading to a HX or dual-boiler you don't have to temp surf will improve this part of the experience for you. At the very high end, I'm using a Decent which manages temp and flow so precisely that any inconsistency with the shot is down to my puck prep, but a mid-range PID HX like the Mara X will also give you very consistent shots with much less struggle than the Silvia/Gaggia. Even the Mara X seems like more than you'd like to spend, but if you can increase your budget, this is what you would get for the extra money.

Of course even the decent or something like a VAPE1 won't save you from all tinkering as you will still have to dial in every new bag of coffee. You will even have to do this with the superauto - I haven't used these much but it looks like the ESAM3300 has adjustable grind, dose, and volumetric brew settings. You'd need to play around with these to get the best results from each different bean and probably tweak them a little bit every time you open a new bag, since the freshness and roast will vary. This is more likely what frustrated you when you tried the CC1. Getting good at puck prep and dialing in is the espresso hobby in a nutshell as these skills are portable between most machines. If they sound like chores that you will never have the patience for, espresso might not be for you as you won't get the results you're looking for without practicing these.

All that said the other option is to get the manual machine and hand grinder and relegate espresso to a weekend thing while you tinker and learn. It sounds like you have a brew setup that works well for you. Even with a few thousand dollars of espresso equipment on hand I often make a v60 because I don't want to dial in a bag of beans or I don't like the espresso coming from this bean or I just want a big mug I can sip for a slow morning. I can knock out a shot in a minute or so with my workflow but a lot of the time it's not what I want and I just go with a pourover. It's still very much a hobby, and you need to figure out how that's going to fit in your schedule or you're likely to be disappointed again. This thread is for everyone! It's not just an espresso thread, even if that takes up a lot of the discussion because it's exciting and a little complicated and confusing to newcomers. There's good fun and good coffee to be had in pourover and batch brew too.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

hypnophant posted:

You're absolutely right that espresso at home is a hobby, and it can be hard to square that with needing some coffee on a certain schedule in the morning. You haven't said what your budget strictly is but the machines you've mentioned are all very much entry-level-espresso machines, and most of the things in that category (with the exception of the superauto) sacrifice workflow for low cost. Single-boiler semiautos are very much something you have to tinker with to get right, either by learning to temp surf or by installing an aftermarket pid or something, and of course totally manual devices like the flair are another step above that in terms of what they ask from the operator. The superauto improves the workflow but you sacrifice some of the hobby tinkerability. It's up to you how important that is - it's hard to tell from your post whether you value it or want to avoid it.

One way out of this dilemma is to spend more money. Single-boiler semiautos don't have great workflows out of the box but upgrading to a HX or dual-boiler you don't have to temp surf will improve this part of the experience for you. At the very high end, I'm using a Decent which manages temp and flow so precisely that any inconsistency with the shot is down to my puck prep, but a mid-range PID HX like the Mara X will also give you very consistent shots with much less struggle than the Silvia/Gaggia. Even the Mara X seems like more than you'd like to spend, but if you can increase your budget, this is what you would get for the extra money.

Of course even the decent or something like a VAPE1 won't save you from all tinkering as you will still have to dial in every new bag of coffee. You will even have to do this with the superauto - I haven't used these much but it looks like the ESAM3300 has adjustable grind, dose, and volumetric brew settings. You'd need to play around with these to get the best results from each different bean and probably tweak them a little bit every time you open a new bag, since the freshness and roast will vary. This is more likely what frustrated you when you tried the CC1. Getting good at puck prep and dialing in is the espresso hobby in a nutshell as these skills are portable between most machines. If they sound like chores that you will never have the patience for, espresso might not be for you as you won't get the results you're looking for without practicing these.

All that said the other option is to get the manual machine and hand grinder and relegate espresso to a weekend thing while you tinker and learn. It sounds like you have a brew setup that works well for you. Even with a few thousand dollars of espresso equipment on hand I often make a v60 because I don't want to dial in a bag of beans or I don't like the espresso coming from this bean or I just want a big mug I can sip for a slow morning. I can knock out a shot in a minute or so with my workflow but a lot of the time it's not what I want and I just go with a pourover. It's still very much a hobby, and you need to figure out how that's going to fit in your schedule or you're likely to be disappointed again. This thread is for everyone! It's not just an espresso thread, even if that takes up a lot of the discussion because it's exciting and a little complicated and confusing to newcomers. There's good fun and good coffee to be had in pourover and batch brew too.

You bring up a great point with the beans and needing to dial in.

I don’t care much about tinkering and dialing in beans. Further, I’m worried I’d continue to need to dial in a bag of beans since I’d likely use the same bag over a week or two, so imagine my frustration when I have it dialed in one week, just to use the same setting next weekend and it tastes worse…that’s not going to work for me.

My budget would ideally be under $400 all in, so it seems like either the manual pull, knowing I’ll spend half the time dialing things in before getting my shot, or hoping to get a screaming deal on a used delonghi.

That or I just forget about the whole plan. Thank you!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

nwin posted:

Looking for a reality check here. As I've been looking at videos and reviews of the Flair, I've quickly gone down the rabbit hole yet again.

I 100% don't have a lot of time in the morning for days I go to the office, which is half the week. On those days I make a moka pot with Cafe Bustelo and brew another cup with a Baratza Encore/CCD when I'm in the office. When I'm at home, I brew through a Virtuoso/Moccamaster for my wife and I. My wife doesn't care about coffee-she gladly uses a K-cup on days I work and then goes to her cold brew that I make her every few days.

I love coffee. I've home-roasted before and at one point I bought a Vario and Crossland CC1. I got out of it because I got frustrated after a month of not pulling a great shot and didn't want to sit down and learn. I was also drinking all my mistakes so I was way too jittery in a hurry.

I'm looking at something I could use in the morning/mid-morning when I work from home and on the weekends. Again, my wife won't use this-she doesn't care about milk drinks-give her a cold brew and she's more than happy.

Here's where my research has led:

-I'm comfortable buying a hand grinder for espresso (something like the 1Zpresso JX-pro) but am not going to upgrade my Virtuoso or buy a second more expensive electric grinder.

-Milk drinks are nice, but not a necessity at all. A simple shot is great.

Here's the machines I'm thinking of and what I think the pros/cons are:

Flair Classic w/ pressure gauge plus a hand grinder
-cost is around $300-350 total (I’ve got a line on a used classic for $150 shipped and it comes with the gauge).
-seems to get decent results
-no milk drinks unless I get a separate frother
-easy to store
-kind of a pain from a workflow process.
-no need to do a weekly/monthly descale, just run water through it for a quick cleanup

Delonghi Esam3300
-high cost around $650
-seems to do everything I want
-time saver with great results.
-cons are price and more counter space
-maintenance is required

Gaggia Classic/Rancilio Silvia
-can be found used for fairly cheap
-known workhorses
-cons are temp surfing, probably needing a new grinder or use the 1Zpresso JX-Pro for hand grinding
-can make milk drinks
-more counter space

I think the Delonghi makes the most sense from an ease of use perspective. However, I’m not sure I want to deal with the counter space being used or if I would need a new grinder. If I’m only pulling one shot, I don’t mind hand grinding that because I’d be doing the same thing with the Flair anyways (albeit a bit more coffee, 15g vs 18g?)

Right now I think my two options are either going with the Flair Classic plus a hand grinder OR looking for a used Delonghi. What do you think? Option 3 is I continue to review this and ultimately find a new hobby as I move on to something else…

Edit: this is a used delonghi

Funny you should ask. I have this delonghi, and recently got the refurbed one from WholeLatteLove for my son as an incentive to get vaxxed- https://www.wholelattelove.com/prod...map&ref=yotpo_8

It's an all in one with a built in grinder, but Definitely use the Virtuoso when you want the real good tasty stuff. The Virtuoso will get the fine enough (or finer) grind compared to like 7 settings on the built in.
I've seen the rule of thumb that says 30 second pull; any more is over extraction, any less is under. I can agree with the less than is less flavor. But personally, I've found that if the extraction takes 45 seconds or a minute for a double or a luongo, the flavor is just as awesome, and I use the Virtuoso's finicky brother, Preciso. Maybe that's just me. I roast my own, and I have to dial it in from one pound to the next, but eh, that goes with the territory of wanting an awesome coffee in the a.m.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mr. Mambold posted:

Funny you should ask. I have this delonghi, and recently got the refurbed one from WholeLatteLove for my son as an incentive to get vaxxed- https://www.wholelattelove.com/prod...map&ref=yotpo_8

It's an all in one with a built in grinder, but Definitely use the Virtuoso when you want the real good tasty stuff. The Virtuoso will get the fine enough (or finer) grind compared to like 7 settings on the built in.
I've seen the rule of thumb that says 30 second pull; any more is over extraction, any less is under. I can agree with the less than is less flavor. But personally, I've found that if the extraction takes 45 seconds or a minute for a double or a luongo, the flavor is just as awesome, and I use the Virtuoso's finicky brother, Preciso. Maybe that's just me. I roast my own, and I have to dial it in from one pound to the next, but eh, that goes with the territory of wanting an awesome coffee in the a.m.

After reading reviews, that refurb you posted looks right up my alley. I don’t see why I wouldn’t go that way/just need to save up for a bit longer.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

If buying a refurb Delonghi, make sure it's factory refurbished by Delonghi themselves (it will come with a Delonghi warranty); it should come out of the box looking and working like new. Anything else will be a machine of unknown origin/age/use that the retailer has more than likely just windexed and inspected for obvious issues. I've had more than a few "refurbs" come into my shop not long after purchase that ended up being 5-10 year old machines in need of hundreds of dollars of work to actually be in good working condition. You have to be careful buying used machines private-party too, but at least those you usually have a chance to test out first, and may have some recourse with the seller if it breaks right away. I do free pre-sale inspections and I really wish more people would take me up on it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ah thanks for the info. The one from
Wholelattelove doesn’t specify and comes with a 6-month warranty.

Looking around, I can’t see any which specifically mention they were refurbed by the company and their website doesn’t mention anything either…back to square 1 I guess.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Slight change of plans in our espresso odyssey. A friend who runs a small cafe has offered to sell us a Rocket Apartmento for a really good price.

By all accounts it’s not as good as the Mara X but it’s cheaper, supports a friend and small business and looks beautiful. Also Rocket has much better support locally than Lelit, there is actually a Rocket shop in my city.

Anything we need to be aware of though?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

bizwank posted:

If buying a refurb Delonghi, make sure it's factory refurbished by Delonghi themselves (it will come with a Delonghi warranty); it should come out of the box looking and working like new. Anything else will be a machine of unknown origin/age/use that the retailer has more than likely just windexed and inspected for obvious issues. I've had more than a few "refurbs" come into my shop not long after purchase that ended up being 5-10 year old machines in need of hundreds of dollars of work to actually be in good working condition. You have to be careful buying used machines private-party too, but at least those you usually have a chance to test out first, and may have some recourse with the seller if it breaks right away. I do free pre-sale inspections and I really wish more people would take me up on it.

:yikes: Thanks bizwank. I may reach out to Wholelattelovelater and try to get the story from them.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mr. Mambold posted:

:yikes: Thanks bizwank. I may reach out to Wholelattelovelater and try to get the story from them.

Let me know. I asked them a question on their site but no reply.

I did see eBay has a “refurbished by delonghi” one and it comes with a 2-year warranty but it also costs $600 instead of $450

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1745855786...2b11c%7Ciid%3A1

Update:

nwin fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 9, 2021

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

nwin posted:

Let me know. I asked them a question on their site but no reply.

Update:

That's reassuring. They've seemed pretty above board comparatively. They're like the Seattle coffee people, always on youtube touting and testing.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Question about longevity (maybe Bizwank can answer?)

How many years can you reasonably expect a refurb ESAM330/ECAM2210 Delonghi to last? How would that compare to a Rancilio Silvia/Breville Barista Express/Breville Bambino/Gaggia Classic?

I'm concerned about longevity and while I would use bottled water and descale as needed, I just imagine the Delonghi is more prone to breakage than the others due to the electronics, etc...I figure Breville would be bad just because users don't seem to have much ability to service themselves, and finally the Rancilio and Gaggia would be tanks because tons of parts are available and there isn't much to them.

I've realized I want to be able to make milk drinks if I'm going to throw the cash down for an espresso kit, so the Flair is out. I also bought the 1Zpresso JX Pro hand grinder to try it out and it's really not that bad to use, especially if I'm doing less than 30g a time, so that's not bad...interestingly I ground 48g for my moccamaster this morning and it tasted much better than my Virtuouso...not sure if I just need to clean the Virtuoso or if the grind quality on the JX Pro is better.

Lots of people say the Breville's blow the competition out of the water, but I also wonder how long I can expect them to 'live' for. I'd only be using it probably 3-4 times a week for a single or double shot.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Any time I crave espresso and think I want to do it at home, i just come to this thread and realize nope, too much

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

a mysterious cloak posted:

Any time I crave espresso and think I want to do it at home, i just come to this thread and realize nope, too much

Allow me to change your mind, if you are fine with the cost, like tinkering aspect, and can resist chasing the dragon by upgrading, which probably isn’t necessary unless you can pinpoint some very specific thing you want to fix.

My espresso setup has probably the least buyers remorse of any big purchase I’ve ever made. Every morning I wake up and get to pull a tasty shot and adjust my grind to make the next one even better. I don’t care about milk drinks, pretty much just espresso. Different coffees vary in taste wildly in espresso which is super fun combined with a variety subscription.

Even after a week I pulled better shots than most coffee places (caffe vita on Fremont Ave in Seattle holds the top spot for me).

There is no coffee smell better than freshly pulled espresso and my apartment fills up with it every day.

Also the machine is pretty and a nice conversation starter.

It’s fun! I swear!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It's also a nice treat for guests. My nanny, who is 55, giggles when she walks in and I offer her one :3:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's nice but 99% of other people use folgers at home. I'm sure your nanny would giggle if you gave her a standard French press with fresh ground beans.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Speaking of giggling relatives, I just got back from a week at my parents', and I took along my Clever and some beans. I knew they had a grinder, for some reason I thought it was my old boxy black DeLonghi, but it was much much worse. Some even cheaper thing which produced gravel-like coffee at all its grind settings (I couldn't even determine which direction was supposed to be finer or coarser).

I shall be putting together a travel kit of hand grinder + Aeropress for future visits...

But anyway, they were confused/bemused by the concept of weighing the coffee/water, so my 9Barista will blow their minds when they visit!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

It's also a nice treat for guests. My nanny, who is 55, giggles when she walks in and I offer her one :3:

Man, you can pull shots of espresso but still have a nanny? Thanks mom and dad...

Kidding aside, you can really easily make someone's day with it. If you can figure out the level of effort you want to put in, and what sort of drinks you want out of it, it's not too bad to set up a home kit. I ended up with a Silvia almost 7 years ago and it's needed only new gaskets and regular descaling. While it won't pull the most amazing light roasts in the world without a PID and some temp surfing, it does work perfectly for what I need in the house. And you can get pretty decent light roasts through it eventually with a little practice too.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Is Mistobox worth trying? Are there better options at a similar price point?

Generally buy my stuff at the grocery store, but I do shop at whole foods in NYC so I generally have access to a decent selection. Thinking of trying a subscription so I can get stuff that's more fresh and get forced to try different stuff. While I'm in NYC I'm deep out, so getting stuff from a local roaster weekly in shop is difficult.

Extra info:
- Entirely espresso with a very basic setup (Non-pressurized EC-155 w/ an Encore)
- Generally like Dark/Medium, but haven't tried a ton of light (and I imagine light would be hard with my setup)
- Ideally looking for around $17 per bag shipped.
- I go through a bag in 7-10 days (closer to 10 most times)

Variety is the name of the game here, I want some different poo poo all of the time, and don't mind fiddling with dialing in a bit.

Trade seems good, but expensive.
Mistobox seems pretty on the nose.
Bottomless seems nice, but their site isn't very transparent about cost and I don't trust companies who do that.
Wasn't sure who else I should be looking at.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Bobstar posted:

Speaking of giggling relatives, I just got back from a week at my parents', and I took along my Clever and some beans. I knew they had a grinder, for some reason I thought it was my old boxy black DeLonghi, but it was much much worse. Some even cheaper thing which produced gravel-like coffee at all its grind settings (I couldn't even determine which direction was supposed to be finer or coarser).

I shall be putting together a travel kit of hand grinder + Aeropress for future visits...

But anyway, they were confused/bemused by the concept of weighing the coffee/water, so my 9Barista will blow their minds when they visit!

Right when I visit my mum she lets me know she has nice coffee. Oh cool I think, let's try. Turns out it's an old calcified Senseo and the bag of pads has been sitting open in the pasta drawer for several years. I'm also always bringing my kit now.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Generally buy my stuff at the grocery store, but I do shop at whole foods in NYC so I generally have access to a decent selection. Thinking of trying a subscription so I can get stuff that's more fresh and get forced to try different stuff. While I'm in NYC I'm deep out, so getting stuff from a local roaster weekly in shop is difficult.

Extra info:
- Entirely espresso with a very basic setup (Non-pressurized EC-155 w/ an Encore)
- Generally like Dark/Medium, but haven't tried a ton of light (and I imagine light would be hard with my setup)
- Ideally looking for around $17 per bag shipped.
- I go through a bag in 7-10 days (closer to 10 most times)

Variety is the name of the game here, I want some different poo poo all of the time, and don't mind fiddling with dialing in a bit.

Trade seems good, but expensive.
Mistobox seems pretty on the nose.
Bottomless seems nice, but their site isn't very transparent about cost and I don't trust companies who do that.
Wasn't sure who else I should be looking at.

I've never used one of those things but if you know any roasters you like, almost everyone has subscription services now and it tends to be a pretty good value. One easy one to recommend that isn't generally super-light that I've had a fair amount of is Black & White, which has a lot of interesting coffees.

Another option if you want to get a lot of variety without paying some third party aggregator service is to grab a sub to one of the places that sells green coffee too. Off the top of my head, happymug, sweetmaria's, and klatch all offer roasted subs and go through a lot of inventory (and of the three I've only bought roasted coffee from happymug, which is really solid for how insanely cheap it is).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BrianBoitano posted:

OOOOOH MISTAH SHEFFIELD! IS THAT CAWFEE FOR ME? OOOOOOOOH, I'M SORRY IT'S "HAND-PULLED ESPRESSO" VERY FANCY!

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 11, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I used Mistobox for a while when they were newish and cancelled when they kept sending me coffee that was the opposite of what I asked to be sent. Fruity light roast is the opposite of over cooked dark roast. Maybe they’ve gotten better at sending what people ask for. Not all of them are bad of course, and it’s worth a shot to see what you like and what you don’t.

I will say those sites are good to find new roasters and check their sites for things you might like.

Also try the goon roaster if you’re trying new things. Prices are good and so is the coffee. I like the espresso blend there. Very consistent and not extra dark just because.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Definitely open to individual roasters as long as that’s good variety each week and the price is good.

Edit: drift away seems neat, and I like their sustainability message and supporting a local NYC roaster.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 11, 2021

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ended up trying out a flair classic from Amazon. Pre-heating the brewhead with a standard kettle sure is a son of a bitch and I’ve had some sour shots because it’s not getting hot enough.

I’ve read some hacks to use my moka pot to preheat so I’ll try that tomorrow.

The cafelat robot looks pretty promising since you just take water off the boil and use it without preheating, but $$$. It does seem like something that would last forever though.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Standard kettle meaning stovetop? Yeah, that's annoying. Electric should be fast enough though. Using a Thermapen I've found getting it to stabilize at 200°F is easiest by preheating the brew head 3 times. I have a narrow coffee mug which makes this pretty easy - just use a spoon to hold the brew head in there while I pour out the boiling water and replace it again. Total water use is about 500 ml total for each shot I pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BrianBoitano posted:

Standard kettle meaning stovetop? Yeah, that's annoying. Electric should be fast enough though. Using a Thermapen I've found getting it to stabilize at 200°F is easiest by preheating the brew head 3 times. I have a narrow coffee mug which makes this pretty easy - just use a spoon to hold the brew head in there while I pour out the boiling water and replace it again. Total water use is about 500 ml total for each shot I pull.

Yeah I have an electric kettle I keep at work so I just have a gooseneck kettle with my gas stove at home, plus the moka pot I might try.

The 1zpresso JX pro is kinda hard to dial in. My “zero” is actually at 9 and so I’m currently at 2 full turns past zero and trying that.

I’d imagine it gets fairy easy once you determine your window. I’m trying to take it easy this time. I didn’t do any research with my crossland CC1 when I got lovely shots and just got frustrated instead. I’m trying to keep this as a hobby until I can “rely” on a shot as my main caffeine source, if I choose to, so my drip machine is still the main source.