Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

josh04 posted:

apparently the consensus is very much in favour of single long videos, algorithm-wise at the moment. but yeah, it's hard not to view the whole thing with a degree of cynicism.
Ah, well, then she clearly knows what she's doing. Anyway, I'm not sure it really requires cynicism to read the situation like that, when it's not an apology video but a video telling people to take a hike. Making money off people overreacting to something you did is not exactly a morally fraught thing, compared to doing the same for something you act like you're real sorry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i say swears online posted:

crime pays but botany doesn't: i'm truly, truly sorry (pt. 1)

years ago on a podcast he apologized for referring to asters as DYC - drat Yellow Composites

there was also that time he killed a coyote i guess

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

oscarthewilde posted:

puts the fault of the decline of effective left wing movements sorely on the (increasing anxiety and retreat into atomized culture and identity) left.

if this is his actual belief then he’s even dumber than his detractors make him out to be

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

there was also that time he killed a coyote i guess

oof i just read about this, rough. don't touch the wildlife, folks

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
film twitter: "of COURSE im a good person, see?!" *gestures at dvd shelf

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
meanwhile in poetry land (crosspost from RWN thread):

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I love poetry, but she isn't wrong... There was a time when poets were basically superstars, but you'd have to go the better part of a century back for that sort of cultural regard.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

lindsay was right and she deserved to skim ad revenue off rival YA authors trying to psychically kill her through the internet

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

so has anyone actually seen shang chi the trailers make it seem kind of funny because awkafinas doing her bumbling millennial schtick but all the magic kung fu bits just have me going like yawn

I liked it even if it ended with the same ol CGI punchfest that all the MCU moopies do, just the difference this time being it's dragons instead of aliens or superhumans. I'm no movie martial arts expert but the fighting seemed credible enough and the staging & editing wasnt a mess like Black Widow. Awkwafina does steal the movie but Michelle Yeoh was also pretty good. To me the MCU is better at setting family & interpersonal stakes over the big alien/mystical/superwhatever threats and that's pretty much what this one's all about.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

awkafina is the worst stage name of all time

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dasawni

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

i thought awkwafina was #cancelled for basing her entire rap persona around aave only to immediately drop it the moment she got successful acting

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

i thought awkwafina was #cancelled for basing her entire rap persona around aave only to immediately drop it the moment she got successful acting

maybe she just grew up

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

the farewell was pretty good

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

indigi posted:

maybe she just grew up

uhhh :yikes:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
like you're saying AAVE is something you just "grow out of"?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

500 good dogs posted:

When it's a stage affect and not a core part of your identity and culture, yes.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about Awkwafina aside from she is a celebrity and is Asian and I don't know which region, country or culture.
Sorry if she's actually the sort of person who should speak exclusively in AAVE.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Dreylad posted:

meanwhile in poetry land (crosspost from RWN thread):

lmao at "our official stance is that poetry is an extrmeely powerful art form"

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

double post

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/SameeraKhan/status/1434225961420132352

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

poet laureates are a thing

we should have a rapper laureate instead given how much more of a cultural impact they have these days

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Tubgoat posted:

When it's a stage affect and not a core part of your identity and culture, yes.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about Awkwafina aside from she is a celebrity and is Asian and I don't know which region, country or culture.
Sorry if she's actually the sort of person who should speak exclusively in AAVE.

is this a defence

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lmao

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Farm Frenzy posted:

is this a defence

Of Judakel's specific phrasing or of Awkwafina dropping AAVE from her persona? Because yes.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/SameeraKhan/status/1434577865488703489 lol

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

god I'm just so mad at Disney's hybrid release model

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Disney delenda est

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

scarlett is racistly denying billions of starving POC the chance to see the first film ever made starring an asian person

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Parents are watching Cruella. Looks like poo poo, parents love it, looks like production by focus group wins again.

What I don't understand is how Disney's live-action films are such unreconstructed dogshit, yet their cartoons tend to be extremely good. Like, what the gently caress.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Making me wait to watch some lovely MCU movie? Fascism

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

AnimeIsTrash posted:

some lovely MCU movie? Fascism
Yes, it really comes across in their flavorless cinematic gruel.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm told it broke the record so who cares.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm told it broke the record so who cares.
An absolutely mind-destroying number of ostensibly grown-rear end adults care a psychotic amount. Not about its flaws, but about any criticism of it for any reason.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Tubgoat posted:

Parents are watching Cruella. Looks like poo poo, parents love it, looks like production by focus group wins again.

What I don't understand is how Disney's live-action films are such unreconstructed dogshit, yet their cartoons tend to be extremely good. Like, what the gently caress.

aside from the 2018 nutcracker movie that i only just remembered as im writing this post the live actions are all constructed top to bottom to capitalise on existing IP while the animations are still seen as a chance to do something new

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

500 good dogs posted:

if she was affecting it solely for her rap career then yes, she may have grown out of cynically adopting another cultures lingo. are you really that stupid that you couldn’t parse my point given the immediate context

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
But is the writing bad on purpose for live-action? How is it so BAD? loving hire your cartoon writers for your live-action dialog, you loving assholes!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Tubgoat posted:

But is the writing bad on purpose for live-action? How is it so BAD? loving hire your cartoon writers for your live-action dialog, you loving assholes!

cause the writer is given a mandate of “make this thing for 6-11 year olds into something Serious and Adult with Pathos but also it still needs to appeal to the 6-11 year olds”

e: and also the remakes lose out on the Disney cheat codes: awesome musical numbers

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

babypolis posted:

lmao at "our official stance is that poetry is an extrmeely powerful art form"

wonder if i can get a following at spoken word poetry where my performance is i try to power up like goku

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Even the loving pop schlock Disney made in the 60s and 70s was better written!

Disney is causing me an immense amount of psychic damage, even while wilfully forgetting how infinitely spooked and mobbed up they are.

The musical numbers do not help, and the live-action remakes are MUCH more appropriate for 6-11 year-olds than the cartoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Tubgoat posted:

idk how they could possibly be good. they have to rephrase all the dialogue from a 30 year old movie for babies so that its not identical, while introducing jokes for the parents who havent actually watched the movies since they were little kids. the only actual changes theyre allowed to make are to make them more woke and address cinemasins 'plot holes'. also the budget is way lower