Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BrigadierSensible posted:

This. 100% this.

Picky eaters piss me off SO much. You are not always going to like the food that's on the plate in front of you. Especially if you are round someone elses house.

If you don't like it, you grin, bear it and politely eat what you can. If pointedly asked directly, and you can't weasel out of it, then maybe it is OK to say "Yeah I don't usually eat onions, (or whatever)", or "That was a bit spicy for me.", or even at a pinch, "I don't like ethnic food". (Although that last one is very rude, and opens up another can of worms.)

But the point is, unless you have a legitimate medical allergy, if you make a scene about refusing to eat something someone has served you, or force them to make you a special meal, then you are both being incredibly rude and disrespectful, and also being a whingy sooky childish baby bitch.

I worded that a little harshly, but I stand by all of it. And obviously this does not apply to forcing Vegetarians to eat meat and similar situations.
You're weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Have ya'll never seen indiana jones and the temple of doom?

INDIANA: That's more food than these people eat in a week. (pointedly) They're starving.
WILLIE: Oh, I'm sorry, you can have it.
Willie tries to hand the plate back to the women.
INDIANA: (insistently) Eat it!
WILLIE: I'm not hungry.
INDIANA: (whispering) You're insulting them and you're embarrassing me. Eat it!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Derpies posted:

I can’t eat salmon or canned tuna for almost the same reasons Mormon Nailer listed above at some point. It made me puke a few times and now I can’t get over the smell.

Still will make a salmon for the wife when I fire up the smoker though

Salmon is the best fish. In fact I'm going to make some soon. :colbert:

Who What Now posted:

I just found out that my other brother-in-law and his daughter simply won't eat cheese of any kind. So while the rest of the family got to eat delicious cheesey shredded potatoes they got tater tots.

:stare:

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Devils Affricate posted:

It just occurred to me that I know several people who refuse to eat meat if it has a bone in it. Chicken wings, T-bone steak, lamb chops, etc. I guess it reminds them that it's part of an animal or something.

i was like this for a long time, and it all goes back to getting a bone in a fish sandwich from McDonalds, back in my youth. Now, I'll tear that poo poo up.
My ma's boyfriend at the time would playfully make fun of me, but also get the meat off the bone of like ribs or whatever.

the he cheated on my mom, so gently caress him. stupid, fat, bald gently caress.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

i used to have to eat salmon (with bones!) from a can that my mom would mix with some whisked egg and make into like a pancake... "salmon patties" she called them. they were served with mashed potatoes that had been formed and cooked into little patties as well.

i guess it was cheap and we were poor but i've hated it ever since then and im not about to change my mind.

it had like tiny hourglass/cylinders of bone that i can only guess were vertebrae from the shape and they tasted like chalk and ugh

Tuna is the only fish I actually like.. and mostly as a sandwich with eggs and horseradish and green onion and mustard mixed in.

I will still eat fish, I just don't really like it.

I'll eat the gently caress out of crustaceans and shellfish though

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 6, 2021

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

All food is "ethnic" food, but none of it is sacred.

There was a lot of twitter outrage a while back about white people opening Chinese takeaways and marketing it as "clean" Chinese.

Ive also seen folks up in arms about how "In InDiA ThErEs No SuCH ThINg As CuRrY".

While "clean" has its own condescensions, there is absolutely a market for non-greasy takeaway. It shouldnt matter the race of the person doing it. Chinese carryout is already its own thing outside of regional Chinese cookery. Its made for, and consumed, mostly by whites.

"Authenticity" is a really vague and constantly shifting measurement. As a pro, its always been my goal to be better than your grandma. If ive chosen to cook some regional cuisine its because im curious about the technique and have respect for the flavours and history.

Its real poo poo for some recent grad to come out with :actually: youre not allowed to pay the bills because cooking outside of your designated racial profile is suddenly appropriation.

Those people are unreasonably weird about food, and alot of chefs dont exactly have Masters degrees to fall back on of the taco truck doesnt pan out.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

RepeatingMeme posted:

I put a cross through my 7s and a slash through zeros for this reason
I was recently told at work to stop doing both of these things because someone apparently wholly unfamiliar with the concept of distinctive handwriting choices thought both of them were 2s. Apparently the 0 not being a 100% perfect oval meant it was actually just a terrible 2.

Obviously unrelated to food so let me talk briefly about my amazing ex-in-laws

I knew I was marrying into quite the different sort of family when I went out for a family dinner with them for the first time and all conversation stopped when I ordered lamb at dinner. At first I thought it was because it was a little more expensive than A Generic Dinner, but my ex- later told me she had never seen anyone order anything but chicken at a family dinner in her entire life. Her mother and recent step-father exclusively order chicken strips when they go out to eat, no matter where it is, and perhaps more importantly they split a single order.

I mean that is pretty much the standard thread level of children masquerading as adults as far as food is concerned, but he really amplified her only mildly insane behavior it seems (including how he literally refuses to eat any vegetables under any circumstances, whereas I think she will still occasionally eat a chicken-based salad). The mom is also now is super into the stepdad's hobbies of biking and baseball despite having openly hated both of them when my ex- was growing up, and of course gets angry when you mention this because you are lying, I always loved biking and baseball. I do not miss any of this, shockingly

Also I used to be a "well done steaks only" person in my early 20s (I had my first steak at 19) and I definitely encountered one of those young chefs who thinks he is an auteur when ordering out once. "Well done" meant "rare bordering on raw," so I asked the waitress what she could do, and she looked horrified, and brought it back to the kitchen. It came back out either the exact same steak with nothing having been done to it or a new steak also cooked absolutely rare. When the waitress set it down she and I both stared at it and I was like "???" and she went off to talk to the manager herself or something; no clue what ended up happening, as I was not even paying for that meal. I think I ended up just not eating it and vowing to never order steak again (I definitely held off on eating steak at restaurants for like 10 years after that, and now I just resign myself to eating whatever arrives in front of me after I order my now only medium-well[!] steak)

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Oh, I had to teach my ex-wife how to boil water. No joke.
My mother did not like dangerous things so we had no steak knives in the house (x-ref: never eating a steak until I was an adult) and her stove did not get hot enough to get a roiling boil going. This led to me getting yelled at by the same aforementioned ex- when I put the pasta in the "boiling" water as soon as I saw bubbles at the bottom, since that was the hottest I had ever seen water get in my entire life. We also did not have a microwave. The more I type the more I think I should keep typing but nah, maybe later. O.K. maybe one more thing

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Why would I want to spend my life with someone who recoils in horror and picks the lettuce off their burger?
Lettuce is the most absolutely vile substance and is 100% of the reason I thought I hated salad growing up. Sorry, obviously I mean iceberg lettuce. I would rather skip a meal than have to deal with loving iceberg lettuce in it

Put literally any other green leaf on my burger and I am stoked (though I could do without Romaine stems but I will eat them)

I also voraciously eat almost anything of any cuisine type put in front of me but gag when eating watermelons or tomatoes. I used to think it was a taste thing, but it seems something about the watery/solid simultaneous texture fundamentally revolts me. And here is where someone points out another kind of food that is just like that that I do like and then I have to go back to the drawing board

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BrigadierSensible posted:

This. 100% this.

Picky eaters piss me off SO much. You are not always going to like the food that's on the plate in front of you. Especially if you are round someone elses house.

If you don't like it, you grin, bear it and politely eat what you can. If pointedly asked directly, and you can't weasel out of it, then maybe it is OK to say "Yeah I don't usually eat onions, (or whatever)", or "That was a bit spicy for me.", or even at a pinch, "I don't like ethnic food". (Although that last one is very rude, and opens up another can of worms.)

But the point is, unless you have a legitimate medical allergy, if you make a scene about refusing to eat something someone has served you, or force them to make you a special meal, then you are both being incredibly rude and disrespectful, and also being a whingy sooky childish baby bitch.

I worded that a little harshly, but I stand by all of it. And obviously this does not apply to forcing Vegetarians to eat meat and similar situations.

I would 100% rather someone be honest that they don't like a dish or won't eat some ingredient than take a serving, nibble at it, and then dump a whole plate of food in the trash. That's way loving worse than not eating it. The idea that it's impolite to not eat food that makes you gag is what leads people to invent implausible or impossible allergies.

I've known people who were picky eaters. None of them were hysterical about it, and tbqh I think the people who do make a scene about that stuff are just self-centered and probably unpleasant all around. Food is just another avenue to be unpleasant in.

But the one person I've known who really drove me up the wall was a guy who was incredibly casual about throwing away food. And not just stuff he didn't like. The guy would throw away food he enjoyed. Like he'd go back for 2nds, load up a full plate, eat some, and then decide he was done and trash the rest. Nothing is more annoying than a dude telling you the food was great as he slides most of a meal into the garbage can.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Poohs Packin posted:

All food is "ethnic" food, but none of it is sacred.

There was a lot of twitter outrage a while back about white people opening Chinese takeaways and marketing it as "clean" Chinese.

Ive also seen folks up in arms about how "In InDiA ThErEs No SuCH ThINg As CuRrY".

While "clean" has its own condescensions, there is absolutely a market for non-greasy takeaway. It shouldnt matter the race of the person doing it. Chinese carryout is already its own thing outside of regional Chinese cookery. Its made for, and consumed, mostly by whites.

"Authenticity" is a really vague and constantly shifting measurement. As a pro, its always been my goal to be better than your grandma. If ive chosen to cook some regional cuisine its because im curious about the technique and have respect for the flavours and history.

Its real poo poo for some recent grad to come out with :actually: youre not allowed to pay the bills because cooking outside of your designated racial profile is suddenly appropriation.

Those people are unreasonably weird about food, and alot of chefs dont exactly have Masters degrees to fall back on of the taco truck doesnt pan out.

People can cook whatever kind of food they want, but taking one country's cuisine and calling it "clean" because it's being made by white people instead of the people from its country of origin is massively hosed up

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

iceberg lettuce is the devil. it tastes like water with a hint of dirt.

I'll gladly eat some romaine or spinach, arugula, or a "microgreen" mix which i think is just baby versions of all mixed together from the grocery store bag i buy.

I dunno why anyone wants a water logged lettuce on anything they eat.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I think in that particular case "clean" means no additives, dyes, frozen products, etc. As in, "im eating a clean diet of whole foods and avoiding refined sugar".

It was never meant to be a value statement about chinese takeaway or chinese people.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

You still have to admit it's pretty lovely sounding.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Klyith posted:

I would 100% rather someone be honest that they don't like a dish or won't eat some ingredient than take a serving, nibble at it, and then dump a whole plate of food in the trash. That's way loving worse than not eating it. The idea that it's impolite to not eat food that makes you gag is what leads people to invent implausible or impossible allergies.

I've known people who were picky eaters. None of them were hysterical about it, and tbqh I think the people who do make a scene about that stuff are just self-centered and probably unpleasant all around. Food is just another avenue to be unpleasant in.

But the one person I've known who really drove me up the wall was a guy who was incredibly casual about throwing away food. And not just stuff he didn't like. The guy would throw away food he enjoyed. Like he'd go back for 2nds, load up a full plate, eat some, and then decide he was done and trash the rest. Nothing is more annoying than a dude telling you the food was great as he slides most of a meal into the garbage can.

To be fair, I am entirely with you as well. Throwing away plates full of perfectly edible food is not only wasteful, but also rude and disrespectful to the host.

I was always taught that if someone else brings you food, you eat it all with a smile and then say "Thank you, that was delicious." Regardless of what it is, whether you are familiar with the dish or not, or how it tastes. But I think that had a lot more to do with the very strict ideals of 'politeness' and 'being a good boy' that I grew up with.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Yeah im not denying it was a bad move. I just wouldn't gently caress with someone's livelihood over it. Restaurants are a bitch to run at the best of times.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Poohs Packin posted:

I think in that particular case "clean" means no additives, dyes, frozen products, etc. As in, "im eating a clean diet of whole foods and avoiding refined sugar".

It was never meant to be a value statement about chinese takeaway or chinese people.

That's even fuckin weirder then. Because of all the places in the US where you can get a meal for under ten bucks, a chinese takeaway probably has the least additives and processed products to begin with. Ain't no whole vegetables pr unprocessed meats at McD's or taco bell, that for sure.

Even if it's not directly racist by saying that white people make clean food, it's leveraging the ambient racism of white people who treat all chinese places as interchangeable. Because you can absolutely find chinese takeaway, operated by not-white people, that have high quality food that's not all greasy or whatever. Nobody feels the need to market their upscale hamburger pub as "clean" just because jack in the box exists, but here we are.

See also the MSG panic, which was was one of the most racist food trends in living memory. Oh this chemical is bad in chinese food! The identical chemical found in every other food on earth, and produced inside your body when needed, that's fine. Just when it's chinese.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 6, 2021

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Personally I prefer succulent Chinese meals over clean ones

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Armitag3 posted:

Personally I prefer succulent Chinese meals over clean ones

This is democracy manifest!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My mother’s rule was always that we should tell her if we didn’t like something, because if we lied and said it was great then she’d keep making it and we’d have to keep eating it or eventually admit that we had lied.

This has always seemed extremely practical to me, but it has always weirded some people out. I was eating at my sisters house and one of her friends was visiting, and when I mentioned that I disliked some bit of the meal her friend got super defensive. “It’s a free meal for you, you shouldn’t say anything is wrong with it, you should just say thank you and eat it anyways.”

My sister and I were both a bit taken aback by this attitude. Why would you lie about this? You’ll end up eating food you dislike, and the cook will spend money and time on food somebody doesn’t like. Nobody wins here. It makes so much more sense to be honest about it.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Poohs Packin posted:

It's not a direct statement about Chinese people, but it's absolutely a statement about their food. What's the opposite of "clean"? If I held out two oranges and asked if you want the "clean" one, what would that imply about the other one? Come on dude.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Dieting is racist

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I understand why people found it problematic, I just think they jumped to outrage first and never looked back, which is the nature of twitter.

My point is "eating clean" has never had anything to do with the physical cleanliness of food. Guzman Y Gomez is an international chain with the slogan "Clean is the new healthy" and they do Mexican food. Nobody seems to care or think they are insinuating mexicans or their food is dirty.

Its a buzzword, but apparently one that resonates with people and there are 1001 "Clean" cookbooks that feature a wide array of recipes from around the world.

People were just mad that a white lady opened a Chinese place, in a city where youve got Bengali guys cooking Italian food and Greeks serving BBQ.

The Chinese place is out of business now though so whatever. Shoulda called it "farm to table" eggrolls or something.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I had a co-worker who would order three plain McDonald's burgers for lunch. As in, just a patty and two pieces of bread, dry. He would bring this back to the break room to eat with the rest of us, where he would empty an entire packet of salt on each burger prior to eating. It was the most bizarre thing. He also exclusively drank diet Dr. Pibb. He had cases of it in the work fridge. Dude was like 50 and on his eleventh career too. Weird guy but super duper nice. First time I saw it I distinctly remember putting my chopsticks down and trying to find a balance between gawking and politely letting the dude eat his burgs.

Anyway the reason I post this story is to tell you that I eat salads with chopsticks. They are vastly superior to any other salad eating utensil. I have been exclusively using chopsticks to eat salad for so long that I get uncomfortable using a fork.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

BigHead posted:

Anyway the reason I post this story is to tell you that I eat salads with chopsticks. They are vastly superior to any other salad eating utensil. I have been exclusively using chopsticks to eat salad for so long that I get uncomfortable using a fork.

I've found that chopsticks are legitimately the superior utensil for a wide range of non-Asian foods (and ironically they suck for eating rice). The real life hack is using them for Cheetos, or other dust-covered snacks.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Devils Affricate posted:

The real life hack is using them for Cheetos, or other dust-covered snacks.

This is tremendous news.

House Rabbit
Dec 17, 2008

Don't go into Mr. McGregor's garden: your Father had an accident there; he was put in a pie by Mrs. McGregor.
Chopstick talk:

They’re the best. I have food aversions in the sense that I hate having to touch food. Certain foods, it’s like the smell leeches into your fingers even after washing.

So crackers, cookies, chips, etc, anything that isn’t too cumbersome gets the chopstick treatment. Forks for the big stuff.

I had a roommate who was sharing his finger food and watched in horror as I picked up my pieces with chopsticks and put them in a bowl. He was so offended, just wouldn’t accept my answer of “Nah man, I just don’t like touching food.” He seemed to think I thought his food was “dirty” and took it personally.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Khizan posted:

My mother’s rule was always that we should tell her if we didn’t like something, because if we lied and said it was great then she’d keep making it and we’d have to keep eating it or eventually admit that we had lied.
Growing up in a household where you are allowed and even encouraged to tell the truth definitely has its hilarious consequences later in life. I still remember the time I ate Thanksgiving dinner with my best friend's family. They clearly did not realize what they had gotten themselves into, as I probably ate as much as the four of them combined (they are all short/thin and I am 6'4" 280# and was probably at my most athletic at that point), and was literally still eating when they cleaned the food off the table (none of them had seconds; not even sure they know what seconds are). So far, so hilarious. And then they jovially asked "didja get enough food?" and were utterly bewildered when I said "no."

I am sure I was supposed to play along, but dude I did not even get dessert :mad:

Also related: I genuinely thought leftovers were a concept invented for television sitcoms until I lived on my own and realized I was allowed to make enough food for myself that I actually could not finish it in one sitting.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I like iceberg lettuce. I like other lettuce too, and I recognise that iceberg lettuce is basically slightly crunchy water.

Still, sometimes I get a craving to just eat a pile of iceberg lettuce, and it's delicious.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Das Boo posted:

I've never directly confronted anyone on it, but I'm definitely quietly enraged by people who refuse to eat vegetables.

I grew up in Finland in the 80s and 90s, and Finnish food is definitely in the "boil everything until it's mush" culinary school, so it took me moving out on my own and meeting new people to finally realize that vegetables don't have to be gross slimy mush, they can be awesome and tasty and offer a ton of cool textures.

Nowadays I'm a vegetarian, so it's all swings and roundabouts.

E: same with chicken, back when I still ate meat. I didn't voluntarily eat chicken for years and years because Finnish chicken is usually slimy and limp crap in some flavourless broth or sauce.

And Finnish "curry": slimy chicken strips in watery sauce someone dumped just a bunch of salt and curry powder into. I also didn't eat proper curries until a friend educated me on the topic, and now Indian/Nepalese food is my favourite.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 6, 2021

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I will eat anything up until it's boiled into mush, which is why I haven't eaten haggis or any of that poo poo

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I grew up in Finland in the 80s and 90s, and Finnish food is definitely in the "boil everything until it's mush" culinary school, so it took me moving out on my own and meeting new people to finally realize that vegetables don't have to be gross slimy mush, they can be awesome and tasty and offer a ton of cool textures.

Nowadays I'm a vegetarian, so it's all swings and roundabouts.

E: same with chicken, back when I still ate meat. I didn't voluntarily eat chicken for years and years because Finnish chicken is usually slimy and limp crap in some flavourless broth or sauce.

And Finnish "curry": slimy chicken strips in watery sauce someone dumped just a bunch of salt and curry powder into. I also didn't eat proper curries until a friend educated me on the topic, and now Indian/Nepalese food is my favourite.

Yeah, growing up we got vegetables in three forms:

- Chunks of boiled carrots, other root vegetables or cabbage in soups

- Carrot/turnip/cabbage slaw! Sometimes with raisins and/or raejuusto (cottage cheese) mixed in, which I hated

- Fresh cucumber and tomato slices to put on your sandwich

And of course there were potatoes. Other types of vegetables rarely made an appearance in our home or in school meals. But I think that also had to do with availability? Potatoes and carrots were locally grown, there was less imported stuff available than there is now.

Oh and potatoes must be boiled. With the skins on. And then everyone peels theirs on their plate before eating. Never had roasted potatoes growing up.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

jkk posted:

- Carrot/turnip/cabbage slaw! Sometimes with raisins and/or raejuusto (cottage cheese) mixed in, which I hated

As a person who pretty much eats anything and loves it, the weirder the better, if you put raisins in a cooked savory dish, gently caress you. I will not eat your stupid bullshit.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Golden raisins in fried kibbee balls with pine nuts and fresh herbs is loving heavenly. That punch of sweet/tart cutting through exotic spices and rich lamb fat with the crunch and smell of toasted pine nuts. gently caress me dead.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Ill do chopped dates, craisins, and/or currants in couscous.

1 cup cous(cous)
3/4 cup chix stock (homemade preferably)
3/4 cup white wine (dry)

The best olive oil you can afford
Butter

1 garlic clove minced
Pinch dried red pepper or a small medium hot chili diced
1 shallot or small onion (brunoise)
5-6 strands safrron
1Tbsp dried turmeric or a 1cm grated fresh
1tsp grated fresh ginger
1tsp toasted cumin seeds
1tsp cinnnamon (ground)
1 Bay leaf

Handful chopped dried fruit (dates are best)
Handul crumbled good feta or a sturdy crumbly chevre
Handfull chopped toasted almonds or pine nuts
1/4 cup each chopped fresh mint, dill, and parsley

S+P to taste

Heat the wine and chicken stock together until reduced to 1 cup in total. Remove from heat and drop in saffron and bay leaf. Youre making tea. Set aside.

Heat the oil and butter to high heat and put the onion and chili in, when the onion starts to brown a bit add in all the rest of the spices and aromatics including garlic. (I add a bit of salt here also) You have to toast the cumin seeds first in a dry pan.Stir it all together with a wooden spoon making sure not to let anything scorch.

After 45 seconds or so this will get really fragrant. DO NOT let the garlic toast. Pour your "tea" into the pot and delglaze a bit. Remove from heat and add couscous. Stir. Cover. Wait.

After a while and a bit the cous will absorb all the liquid, usually 10 mins. I typically give it another 10 and then fluff it up. Then fold in the feta or chevre, dates or raisins, nuts, and fresh herbs. Season to taste. Serve warm with grilled or braised meats. Perfect for lamb shank or eat on its own with good labna or greek yoghurt.

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 6, 2021

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Wendigee posted:

also someone woke up early after passing out in college and was nice enough to go get our hungover asses a bag of mcdonald's breakfast burritos to share because he was nice... friend took one bite and put it down because the bell-pepper inside was "too spicy" lol

I used to work with a guy who refused to admit he was wrong, ever.

The work canteen had chilli con carne on the menu one day (lovely british office canteen chilli so it was basically bolognese sauce with kidney beans and some sliced chillis) and he started complaining about not liking spicy food and how it was the beans that made it spicy. We called him on it but he stuck to his story, insisting nope chillis themselves weren't spicy, actually it was the beans and that was why tins of kidney beans in spicy sauce said "chilli beans" on.

So at lunchtime we all sat there and he carefully picked all the beans out of his chilli, ate the rest and smugly said "well that wasn't spicy at all so I was right." I mean obviously it wasn't spicy because it was lovely office canteen chilli. He wasn't doing this as a windup or anything, pretty sure he'd genuinely thought the beans were the spicy part and he'd show the rest of us.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Danger - Octopus! posted:

The work canteen had chilli con carne on the menu one day (lovely british office canteen chilli so it was basically bolognese sauce with kidney beans and some sliced chillis) and he started complaining about not liking spicy food and how it was the beans that made it spicy. We called him on it but he stuck to his story, insisting nope chillis themselves weren't spicy, actually it was the beans and that was why tins of kidney beans in spicy sauce said "chilli beans" on.

So at lunchtime we all sat there and he carefully picked all the beans out of his chilli, ate the rest and smugly said "well that wasn't spicy at all so I was right." I mean obviously it wasn't spicy because it was lovely office canteen chilli. He wasn't doing this as a windup or anything, pretty sure he'd genuinely thought the beans were the spicy part and he'd show the rest of us.

It's not so much being wrong as being British

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Big Beef City posted:

It's not so much being wrong as being British

We're the worst.

Had a different co-worker called Anne who was very very conservative about food and had basically eaten the same things all her life. She would eat ham or cheese sandwiches at lunch, for evening meals she'd basically eat meat or pie+two vegetables+potato and the idea of 'foreign' food was absolute anathema to her. If cheese wasn't cheddar, she was pretty unsure of it. Bread should be white. Anything beyond mustard was Too Spicy. A co-worker brought some blueberries into the office once and Anne was amazed, she had no idea what they were. She thought sushi was a joke when people told her about it.

Anyway, she went out for a team meal once. The team went to a tex-mex place and Anne clearly wasn't happy with the idea but said well ok, they could order for her. They ordered fajitas, and when it arrived she started screaming at them because she thought they were playing a prank. She looked at the tortillas and salsa that were brought to the table, and just started shouting at them because she thought it was pancakes and jam being served up, which that wasn't something you'd go out to a restaurant to eat and that they were playing some kind of joke on her just because she hadn't had mexican food before. She was so so angry and ended up storming out, the rest of the team were mortified. I'm not sure if they ever managed to explain that no really, this was real food.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Beans are the spicy part though

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

So you let the lamest dude on earth dunk on everyone.

I'm not sure that story bears repeating.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

SilvergunSuperman posted:

sorry that a guy who somehow thinks beans are spicy isn't as cool as a guy being a dick about people who don't write numbers the American way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Yes he should have super slammed him through the lunch table while rubbing chili's in his eyes, then ripped his own shirt off to reveal another shirt with the words 'I'm right about food' on it under it to really show the man