Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
E: gently caress me that's a dark place to start a new page, here's a man being swarmed by a flock of puffins instead
https://twitter.com/bingowings14/status/1433512997696286722

Dren posted:

Also, it is too early to freak out about Mu.

..... but if it ever becomes apparent that it IS something we should worry about it'll be too late to do anything about it by then. :kheldragar:

We couldn't have done anything about it anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Or it's covid. :shrug:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

..... but if it ever becomes apparent that it IS something we should worry about it'll be too late to do anything about it by then. :kheldragar:

We couldn't have done anything about it anyway

i mean yeah we can't do anything about it either way but there have been a ton of variants that showed promise for vaccine escape but got outcompeted by delta so don't waste time being upset (yet)

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Dren posted:

i mean yeah we can't do anything about it either way but there have been a ton of variants that showed promise for vaccine escape but got outcompeted by delta so don't waste time being upset (yet)

I feel slightly better when you put it that way. What an incongruous feeling in a time of pandemic... Viruses taking up real estate so worse viruses can't movie in? Who'd have thought.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

boquiabierta posted:

Have there been any reports of people actually dying from ivermectin? All I see is that calls to poison control and ED visits for overdose are up.

Edit: just saw this on Facebook, ew

I always trust posters.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

phasmid posted:

I feel slightly better when you put it that way. What an incongruous feeling in a time of pandemic... Viruses taking up real estate so worse viruses can't movie in? Who'd have thought.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

*Looks up symptoms of Zinc poisoning*

How much did you give him?

It can be Covid and overdosing on Ivermectin and zinc. Attempted really late-term abortion?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

phasmid posted:

The beauty of immune escape is that if a variant gets enough of it, it stops being a competition and all of that real estate opens up. :unsmigghh:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Platystemon posted:

The beauty of immune escape is that if a variant gets enough of it, it stops being a competition and all of that real estate opens up. :unsmigghh:

This Mu guy is pissing me off already.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
A bartender I know says the hot new trend in localities requiring vaccination for getting into restaurants/bars is patrons forgetting their CDC card

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Pinecone Sample posted:

A bartender I know says the hot new trend in localities requiring vaccination for getting into restaurants/bars is patrons forgetting their CDC card

Requiring vaccinations is dumb in a country where the only proof is a little card (which btw can be forged or obtained via shady practices)

I don't know if there's a good way to track vaccinations without having people in some sort of national govt database, but Americans just won't do that :911:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

:justpaste:

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Requiring vaccinations is dumb in a country where the only proof is a little card (which btw can be forged or obtained via shady practices)

I don't know if there's a good way to track vaccinations without having people in some sort of national govt database, but Americans just won't do that :911:

It keeps the honest people honest

Also the vast majority of dishonest people are unvaccinated

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Most states have vaccination databases. Just most places doing confirmation aren't going through the hoops to use em.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/desdemona31/status/1434313264536637440

They've had an entire year to think up a better system (same with remote schooling, vaxx messaging, etc etc etc) but every time the cases peak and drop off they just get ready to open 'er up because covid is obviously going to end this time so any further efforts would just be a waste of time & money.
Australia is about to trial a covid vaxx passport system which will probably be a poo poo show and while I'm glad they're giving it a shot but I wouldn't be surprised if the trial goes badly and they don't end up using it. Every other nation-wide effort at things like this (the contact tracing app, the federal vaxx sign-up, etc) has been terrible so far.

wilderthanmild posted:

Most states have vaccination databases. Just most places doing confirmation aren't going through the hoops to use em.

There's no requirement for people to provide ID (which is good, there's a lot of undocumented people who need the vaxx) so a lot of the data is unverifiable or just outright missing. It's less than ideal but I think that making ID mandatory for the vaxx would have been a much bigger mistake.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
why don't they just scan the microchip to verify vaccination?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

why don't they just scan the microchip to verify vaccination?

Someone hosed up and made the chips too micro to scan :doh:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
NSW premier working real hard to push the message that vaxx deaths aren't her responsibility and are in fact the preferable outcome, and anyone who dies must have made bad choices

https://twitter.com/GrogsGamut/status/1433598625804951553
https://twitter.com/emma__jayne14/status/1434465469348466695

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I can’t help feeling fatalistic about covid at this point. We’re almost 2 years in, and things are arguably worse than a year ago. We have a dedicated population that will not get vaccinated, and an even larger population that won’t take basic precautions in public. It appears we can’t stop covid from becoming endemic, so what now? Encourage masks and vaccines as the new social norm and build out dedicated COVID treatment centers/crematoriums?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Final update

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Crackbone posted:

I can’t help feeling fatalistic about covid at this point. We’re almost 2 years in, and things are arguably worse than a year ago. We have a dedicated population that will not get vaccinated, and an even larger population that won’t take basic precautions in public. It appears we can’t stop covid from becoming endemic, so what now? Encourage masks and vaccines as the new social norm and build out dedicated COVID treatment centers/crematoriums?

We literally had dedicated TB treatment facilities for a very long time, which were repurposed to treat those with other infectious diseases once TB was no longer an issue. We even had infectious diseases hospitals.

That we haven't even managed to make purpose built quarantine facilities in the last year and a half leaves me believing that dedicated covid treatment centres won't be a reality any time soon and that no government will commit to them while the belief that vaccination is key to controlling case numbers continues.

Masks and vaccines being the new norm doesn't sound that bad to me, although I would like to see some system developed where quality masks became a PBS item and people weren't wearing surgical masks indefinitely because they don't want to spend money on buying more.

I'm currently seeing a lot more compliance with the mask mandate than I was this time last year. I don't know whether that's because people fear contracting the virus or because they fear getting caught and fined, but it needs to continue for the foreseeable future.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Dren posted:

We're not yet at the point were vaccine escape is nearly as much a factor in variant dominance as previous-variant-induced-immunity-escape (in the US, at least). Whatever comes next will outcompete delta because it'll be different enough to infect the hundred million + people that got Delta.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sugma fi, marine

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

That we haven't even managed to make purpose built quarantine facilities in the last year and a half

Regional NSW had to resort to hiring a fleet of motorhomes to create an 'isolation hub' when a small mostly-indigenous town got hit hard by covid and needed to get a whole lot of close contacts into quarantine:

quote:

Each motorhome has heating and cooling, and includes living and bedroom accommodation, kitchen, toilet, a shower, linen, radio and television.

The showground has access to power, water, and waste disposal services.

NSW Health has set up a "base camp" at the site, with staff on the ground around the clock to support the community.

They include personnel from NSW Health, NSW Police, the ADF, Aboriginal Affairs, the Rural Fire Service, State Emergency Service, NSW Ambulance, Resilience NSW, the Royal Flying Doctor Service, the local council, and a number of volunteer organisations.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-05/nsw-wilcannia-motorhomes-isolation-hub/100434846

It's genuinely pretty heartwarming that so many state organisations leapt into action for a small indigenous community

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is not a joke image

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 6, 2021

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This is not a joke image

It is now.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
sitting in a tub of ivermectin sheep wash while i braid tin foil into my hair to form little spike shapes

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This is not a joke image

lmfao

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Crackbone posted:

Ehh we have vaccines, if you’re vaxxed you’ve done the best you could, as an individual who cannot control others.

I think 2020 was worse because we didn’t know how bad it could get, how it spread, maybe vaccines wouldn’t work etc.

Also there’s no immediate global conflicts like war etc

I think global warming is a much worse problem in the future but the pandemic has proven we are incapable of fixing things together, so seriously - enjoy the day, you’re alive.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I really hope someone has done the pour-on dosing. Just drenched themselves from head to toe.

(Is it actually absorbed through skin, or is animal pour-on just used to treat external parasites?)

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

oh we're gonna get more pandemics as the planet continues to overheat don't worry!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I did not realize people were injecting themselves with it

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

ymgve posted:

I really hope someone has done the pour-on dosing. Just drenched themselves from head to toe.

(Is it actually absorbed through skin, or is animal pour-on just used to treat external parasites?)

its absorbed through the skin (have a cat or dog that takes a squirt on the neck for fleas and ticks? similar)

the sad part is someone has already posted a quote from gab or whatever where someone was asking how to dose their children with the pour on type =/

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My mid 2000s rap decadence video but Im spraying ivermectin instead of champagne

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Barudak posted:

My mid 2000s rap decadence video but Im spraying ivermectin instead of champagne

Got that Trump Tier Ivermectin

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Barudak posted:

Ivermectin Supernova

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://i.imgur.com/DsNSL7L.gifv

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/covid-how-will-it-end/2021/09/04/44bdd69a-fed7-11eb-a664-4f6de3e17ff0_story.html

A few interesting quotes here

quote:

“Children transmit viruses to each other, to their families, to their communities,” Swann said. “The first step toward normalcy is getting children vaccinated, at least for ages 5 and up. Right now, unfortunately, what we’re seeing in Florida is many, many children getting infected.”

Swann sees several possible routes back to normal life, including letting the virus burn through the population, focusing on masking and hybrid schooling, or a return to lockdowns. But her preferred pathway is mass vaccination of children — which can only happen after the vaccines are approved for the 5-to-11 age group, a step that’s not expected until at least later this year — along with masking and increased testing.

Ten years from now, the coronavirus “will be like influenza — it can cause death, but nothing like what we see now,” Swann said. But in the next year or so, the best Americans can hope for is a partial return to normalcy, with hospitals no longer being crushed with covid patients and occasional surges of covid in communities with low vaccination rates.

a jab at the NY Times

quote:

And the national divide over vaccines, masks and other such politicized public health measures could well end up being the reason the pandemic persists in the United States, said Alex Berenson, a novelist and former New York Times reporter. Berenson’s agitation against the vaccine has become a popular source of succor for many who have refused to get the shot, but it also got him permanently banned from Twitter for what the company called “repeated violations of our COVID-19 misinformation rules.”

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

I was gonna crack a joke about the apple flavored one being above because of the flavor. Then I read closer and the point was made and that is why it's higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7000147139896544518