Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Andorian three-parter in season 4 is some of my favorite Trek ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I'm watching Galaxy's Child for the first time since high school and Geordi is making me want to die of embarrassment with how much of a creep he's being.

Love to ask a woman twice in a row if she wants a drink.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Automatic Slim posted:

Mariner should join Section 31.

Section 31 is the opposite of Mariner. Section 31 does anything to ensure the stability of the Federation, including violating its tenants. Mariner believes that Starfleet and the Federation and those tenants are only worthwhile if they make things better for people, and goes along with them because in the main they are, then bends the PD when they aren't. She is actually a perfect for The Culture's Special Circumstances, or the Maquis if they weren't complete dumbasses with absolutely zero peripheral vision.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

chaosbreather posted:

violating its tenants.

[ -- insert joke about landlords here -- ]

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm on season 2 of TNG and Pulaski is way more interesting than Crusher

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Danaru posted:

Enterprise Season 4 was so fuckin good aaaa how was this the one they cancelled the show after

It was good. Had they gone with this premise from the beginning (the premise that the show was promised) Enterprise would've been a show fans would return to. So much wasted potential.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Hollismason posted:

I'm on season 2 of TNG and Pulaski is way more interesting than Crusher

She's Lady Bones. They even set her up to have the same relationship with Rubber Spock, Data.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
spock always gave as good as he got with mccoy. pulaski just sort of bullied data for no reason. also, it's unfortunate how she didn't seem to understand how infectious diseases work on a fundamental level.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Her character was very believable as a medical professional, yes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm now on the Space Irish episode. Not enough Data.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I can never get enough of how when they beam up space Irish, they also beam up all their trash and bullshit.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

No, O'Brien was already onboard

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

spock always gave as good as he got with mccoy. pulaski just sort of bullied data for no reason. also, it's unfortunate how she didn't seem to understand how infectious diseases work on a fundamental level.

He didn't feel bullied though. We felt bad for him because he was childlike in some ways, but she could get his name wrong every day and he'd never feel bad about it.

I think she was supposed to be the one to challenge his Pinocchio complex. Why do you want to be a real boy? Why try to be a second-rate human rather than the known universe's best android? You're already sapient just the way you are. Live your truth and stop trying to live according to another species' limitations.

I hope the relationship between them would have matured if she'd stayed on, though character growth on TNG was glacial so who knows.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Danaru posted:

Enterprise Season 4 was so fuckin good aaaa how was this the one they cancelled the show after

Crazy that Starfleet hired this guy's identical grandson 89 years later to be a secret war admiral

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

He didn't feel bullied though. We felt bad for him because he was childlike in some ways, but she could get his name wrong every day and he'd never feel bad about it.

I think she was supposed to be the one to challenge his Pinocchio complex. Why do you want to be a real boy? Why try to be a second-rate human rather than the known universe's best android? You're already sapient just the way you are. Live your truth and stop trying to live according to another species' limitations.

I hope the relationship between them would have matured if she'd stayed on, though character growth on TNG was glacial so who knows.

This is a good idea until “stop trying to be human” becomes “stop caring about humans” which can lead to a nasty case of “kill the humans”

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Endless Trash posted:

This is a good idea until “stop trying to be human” becomes “stop caring about humans” which can lead to a nasty case of “kill the humans”

True. That happens all the time.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Facebook Aunt posted:

True. That happens all the time.

This week on Star Trek: What If: What if Doctor Soong had created Bender instead of Data?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Well, he created Lore, so I feel like that may have been demonstrated.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Well I got to "Treshold" in Voyager.

It started off so well too, Paris going warp 10 and all.

Them calling his millions of years of evolution in 24 hours pisses me off that's not how evolution works goddammit

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Ignorant voyager writers. If they had just bothered to ask a single warp field expert they would’ve known Tom would develop into more of a squirrel-like creature.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Endless Trash posted:

Ignorant voyager writers. If they had just bothered to ask a single warp field expert they would’ve known Tom would develop into more of a squirrel-like creature.

Nah. Everyone knows that the ultimate evolution of everything is a crab.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

*Worf glaring at the toilet after trying to flush it six times*
"You DELIBERATELY disobeyed me!"

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Are you watching along with greatest gen? I just watched threshold tonight too.

It’s loving bizarre. The plot and the end “what I learned” moment are so bizarrely out of sync with each other. I’d heard of this episode well before watching it and kept wondering if I had it wrong. Like 3/4ths of the episode is this bizarre body horror, and then in like 2 minutes he’s a lizard, kidnaps t he captain, makes her a lizard, and has lizard babies. The another minute and we’re back to sick bay like “lol that was crazy man” and it’s credits.

What the gently caress???

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

It’s loving bizarre. The plot and the end “what I learned” moment are so bizarrely out of sync with each other. I’d heard of this episode well before watching it and kept wondering if I had it wrong. Like 3/4ths of the episode is this bizarre body horror, and then in like 2 minutes he’s a lizard, kidnaps t he captain, makes her a lizard, and has lizard babies. The another minute and we’re back to sick bay like “lol that was crazy man” and it’s credits.

The lesson of the episode is that you should abandon your children. Just leave them in a park somewhere. They'll be fine.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

External Organs posted:

This week on Star Trek: What If: What if Doctor Soong had created Bender instead of Data?

Pretty sure if bender had been on tng he would of gone evil and tried to kill everyone less times then data.

Cos you know he's already evil, but also really lazy. So probably would of just spent the whole time between the holodeck and the bar.

Although most likely would of jumped ship to hang out with the first TOS style random evil computer enslaving humanity they encountered.

More realistically never would of joined starfleet.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dr_rat posted:

Pretty sure if bender had been on tng he would of gone evil and tried to kill everyone less times then data.

Cos you know he's already evil, but also really lazy. So probably would of just spent the whole time between the holodeck and the bar.

Although most likely would of jumped ship to hang out with the first TOS style random evil computer enslaving humanity they encountered.

More realistically never would of joined starfleet.

He wouldn't have joined starfleet, but there are plenty of non-uniformed service workers on the Enterprise. He could have worked in 10-forward. Why? To get a lift to a better planet, or away from a planet where he was no longer welcome.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Yep! Going through it slowly for Greatest Gen. I have been thoroughly enjoying it. I've always heard this is the garbage series (and maybe that's coming in later seasons), but it has been much much better than I expected.

"Threshold" is really not that bad of an episode until all of a sudden they're lizards.

And then Janeway has to have this bizarre reaction of like "Well it probably wasn't lizard rape anyway", like you fuckers knew how weird it was and that you would need Janeway to somehow be OK with it in the end, so doesn't that just tell you you shouldn't write it to begin with?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PostNouveau posted:

Yep! Going through it slowly for Greatest Gen. I have been thoroughly enjoying it. I've always heard this is the garbage series (and maybe that's coming in later seasons), but it has been much much better than I expected.

"Threshold" is really not that bad of an episode until all of a sudden they're lizards.

And then Janeway has to have this bizarre reaction of like "Well it probably wasn't lizard rape anyway", like you fuckers knew how weird it was and that you would need Janeway to somehow be OK with it in the end, so doesn't that just tell you you shouldn't write it to begin with?

Speaking of Trek Podcasts, I've been listening the the $3 Patreon Version of the Delta Flyers with Garret Wang and Robert Duncan McNeill. It's a really loving good listen. They have a lot of good background info on the production of the show and have excellent guests on all the time. I'm only in season 3, but they've had every one of the main cast guest on the show except Lien, Dawson, and Jeri Ryan (naturally, too early), and also quite few guest stars, writers, and directors (including Frakes multiple times).

They're not too far ahead of Greatest Gen, which has been working out pretty nicely.

Garret Wang shits on Rick Berman from time to time. It's fantastic.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 7, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zesty posted:

Speaking of Trek Podcasts, I've been listening the the $3 Patreon Version of the Delta Flyers with Garret Wang and Robert Duncan McNeill. It's a really loving good listen. They have a lot of good background info on the production of the show and have excellent guests on all the time. I'm only in season 3, but they've had every one of the main cast except Lien, Dawson, and Jeri Ryan (naturally, too early), and also quite few guest stars, writers, and directors (including Frakes multiple times).

They're not too far ahead of Greatest Gen, which has been working out pretty nicely.

Garret Wang shits on Rick Berman from time to time. It's fantastic.

ooo, I did not know this existed. I know those guys must have good chemistry because the Greatest Gen talked about them getting in trouble for hotboxing the shuttlecraft set.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I had forgotten until my recent Voyager rewatch how often they just magicked away the problem at the end of the episode because there was like 5 minutes left and they had to wrap things up. Threshold is one example, but I just ran into another one in Season 4 where an alien takes over Paris' body and puts him into a different body, then does the same to Janeway, and this just fixes itself in a captain's log.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PostNouveau posted:

ooo, I did not know this existed. I know those guys must have good chemistry because the Greatest Gen talked about them getting in trouble for hotboxing the shuttlecraft set.

Yeah, unfortunately the free version of the show misses out on a lot of great content.

McNeill is a fancy director now (as a result of getting his first director job on Voyager) so if you're into how shows like this are made, he also has a pretty great insight into that world.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I should think given the weird poo poo someone in starfleet hast o deal with by the time they become a captain, a certain lassaiz faire attitude to Weird Science poo poo is the only way you can keep going and not lose your mind.

Zesty posted:

(as a result of getting his first director job on Voyager

A whole bunch of people on trek got their directorial debuts while on the show they were in. Wasn't Jolene Blalock one of the few ones that didn't and it was weird at the time?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Polaski is definitely better than Crusher. I just got to Season 3 with Crusher's return and its like oof. Bring back Pulaski she had character.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

polaski didn't gently caress a ghost though

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hot take: Pulaski sucks

The General
Mar 4, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hot take: Pulaski sucks

Only because she didn't get more time.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I had forgotten until my recent Voyager rewatch how often they just magicked away the problem at the end of the episode because there was like 5 minutes left and they had to wrap things up. Threshold is one example, but I just ran into another one in Season 4 where an alien takes over Paris' body and puts him into a different body, then does the same to Janeway, and this just fixes itself in a captain's log.

S1E13 Cathexis is another example. Chakotay’s consciousness is flying around the ship and the process by which they reintegrate his consciousness back into his body is by having The Doctor…reintegrate his consciousness back into his body. He just, uh, does it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
pulaski sucks but crusher is a complete void of personality. still, a void suits the show better than an rear end in a top hat.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Achmed Jones posted:

polaski didn't gently caress a ghost though

You don't know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
pulaski probably diagnosed a ghost as being alive and then hosed them.