Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

ToxicAcne posted:

Is the gun ban really that controversial? Im really surprised that this is turning out to be a big election issue.

It's a wedge issue that riles up the hogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ToxicAcne posted:

Is the gun ban really that controversial? Im really surprised that this is turning out to be a big election issue.

is it? it's a big issue to a certain subset of firearms enthusiasts. they're loud but i kinda doubt they're a significant voting bloc

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

All the cons I know are obsessed with TruDOPES gun ban, even if most of them don't even shoot or have their PAL.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Forty meals make a drop of blood? Something seems off with this math, I'd need to be eating a lot more....

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Virtual Russian posted:

Forty meals make a drop of blood? Something seems off with this math, I'd need to be eating a lot more....

Hmm. Average body has 5L of blood, a liter of blood is approximately 20,000 'drops', forty meals to make a drop, thats four million meals. Okay okay, three meals a day, 365 days a year, to make enough blood for one person takes...

Huh. 3650 years.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wow, no wonder semen retention is so important

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

ToxicAcne posted:

Being a dirty gun haver. Guns won't make or break the election by pure numbers. There are 2.2 million PAL havers, and not all of them are lockstep CPC voters (some would also be foreigners not eligible to vote). They are also so spread out it would be like 2.2 million green votes worth 5 HoC seats at best.

My thoughts, the gun ban is dumb because it bans guns based on how it looks and not how "deadly" they are even though it totally is because of how "deadly" they are by the Regulatory Impact Analysis Statement (RIAS). It also was passed (via OiC) as an emotional wedge issue to pretend to care about gun violence without actually caring or doing any of the hard work with legislation.

quote:

The Ruger Mini-14 used in the 1989 Polytech shooting? so dangerous that after 1989 when guns were being banned left and right by name that it somehow missed being banned and was never used in a Mass shooting again until it had to be banned in 2020 30 years later.

The AR-15 never used in a Mass shooting in Canada until the NS Shooting, where GW illegally smuggled an AR-15 into Canada for his Mass shooting. So we need to immediately ban Legal gun owners from having AR-15's which will stop people from smuggling AR-15's into Canada and shooting people

The VZ-58 claim to "fame" by being used in the Quebec city mosque shooting by jamming after firing 2 rounds so that the 4 dead people were shot with a Glock 19 pistol. (I understand it could have been more serious if it didn't jam but it was banned by being tenuously linked to a mass shooting that didn't happen with it)

CZ Scorpion pistol/rifle never used in a mass shooting but gosh darn it looks tactical so banned.

Firearms that shoot over 10,000 Joules? As we all know domestic violence and gangsters shooting each other will frequently use high powered .50 BMG caliber rifles.

20mm bore diameter ban? Well some trap/skeet guns (Olympic sports) will be affected because no one knows how to measure the bore diameter legally speaking and those guns brush up against the 20mm limit. Also Anti-tank rifles are bad, RPG's are bad, flare guns are bad and Bazookas are bad, commonly used "guns" in crime.

It makes the LPC look tough on guns/crime by banning guns by name but not actually caring if it would make Canadians safer.

If the Government flat out said "Semi-autos are banned because of mass shootings/gun violence etc." Well I wouldn't like it but it would be more or less logically consistent instead of pretending that the SKS rifle is less mass shooting deadly than the Mini-30 because of the name on the gun.

Obviously view points can change as time goes on, but when the OiC was first formulated it had "guns so dangerous no PAL owner should own them, unless you have them now in that case you can keep them until you die" by grandfathering ownership.

It changed into buyback by paying gun owners to turn them in, but also optionally grandfathering ownership.

So guns so dangerous to Canadians that no one should own them, could still be owned until you die.

Wedge issue

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

guns are dumb and should be completely banned

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Let the LPC do it then, I just think it's bullshit what they are trying to sell to Canadians by pretending what they did helps.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i understand you have a specific interest in this, but have you seen their other policies?

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

yeah man im also a liberal

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Yes please donate all of your guns to me thanks

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is a good way to lose northern indigenous ridings, but white urbanites not caring about native concerns is unfortunately nothing new.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

This is a good way to lose northern indigenous ridings, but white urbanites not caring about native concerns is unfortunately nothing new.

go gently caress yourself, guns are stupid and bad

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

it's be safer and more marx-compatible to ban conservatives

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

2. To be able forcefully and threateningly to oppose this party, whose betrayal of the workers will begin with the very first hour of victory, the workers must be armed and organized. The whole proletariat must be armed at once with muskets, rifles, cannon and ammunition, and the revival of the old-style citizens’ militia, directed against the workers, must be opposed. Where the formation of this militia cannot be prevented, the workers must try to organize themselves independently as a proletarian guard, with elected leaders and with their own elected general staff; they must try to place themselves not under the orders of the state authority but of the revolutionary local councils set up by the workers. Where the workers are employed by the state, they must arm and organize themselves into special corps with elected leaders, or as a part of the proletarian guard. Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary. The destruction of the bourgeois democrats’ influence over the workers, and the enforcement of conditions which will compromise the rule of bourgeois democracy, which is for the moment inevitable, and make it as difficult as possible – these are the main points which the proletariat and therefore the League must keep in mind during and after the approaching uprising.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

go gently caress yourself, guns are stupid and bad

It's great how easy it is to find out what white Canadians really think about Indigenous people when you start actually talking about the nitty gritty of things like indigenous culture, hunting rights, and other treaty obligations. You're absolutely one of those qallunaat who think their traditions are only okay if a potlatch is held once in a while, but when they participate in cultural practices like hunting seal, wearing caribou, and living off the land in other ways you tug at your collar and wish there was a barbaric cultural practices hotline you could call.

Why can't those savage brown people settle down in static communities and get their food from Costco like I do every weekend? I bet if we incentivized them to follow your superior urban Western lifestyle *cough*qimmiijaqtauniq*cough* it would lead to much better outcomes in the decades to follow.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Only let Indigenous people own guns.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Coxswain Balls posted:

It's great how easy it is to find out what white Canadians really think about Indigenous people when you start actually talking about the nitty gritty of things like indigenous culture, hunting rights, and other treaty obligations. You're absolutely one of those qallunaat who think their traditions are only okay if a potlatch is held once in a while, but when they participate in cultural practices like hunting seal, wearing caribou, and living off the land in other ways you tug at your collar and wish there was a barbaric cultural practices hotline you could call.

Why can't those savage brown people settle down in static communities and get their food from Costco like I do every weekend? I bet if we incentivized them to follow your superior urban Western lifestyle *cough*qimmiijaqtauniq*cough* it would lead to much better outcomes in the decades to follow.

those communities are important for Canadas northern land claims, we can't just let these people wander around or Russia will come in!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Rutibex posted:

those communities are important for Canadas northern land claims, we can't just let these people wander around or Russia will come in!

Ahahahah, of course. I heard the other day that houses have gone from like $200k to $800k in Iqaluit in just the past couple of years, and ghettos near the airport are getting exponentially bigger. Western urbanization definitely seems to be going well for them up there, more wealth is being generated via property value there than anywhere else in the country. It's the Canadian way!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

hi welcome to the

Pee
Pee
Cum

party

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hindsight being 20/20 it makes sense that male ppc candidates are the smallest limpest dick morons ever to disgrace these borders

who else would you get to scream about vaccines and immigration than the people who are so fuckin pathetic they wish they could american republicans lmao

the fail party of absolute wastes of oxygen and carbon

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ToxicAcne posted:

imo consumption of increasing amounts of US and US-inspired right-wing media has made large parts of the Canadian right more attuned to American issues, and so they hear that Trudeau wants to ban guns and immediately rush to use all the talking points they've picked up from the American right about totalitarian liberals wanting to ban guns just like Hitler did

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Yah I saw a gun legislation ad by Trudeau and had to wonder if they're trying to lose seats for some reason. Complete unforced error.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

is there anyone who feels strongly enough about this issue to vote for the liberals if they weren't already?

megahtz
Jun 24, 2020

by Hand Knit

Coxswain Balls posted:

Ahahahah, of course. I heard the other day that houses have gone from like $200k to $800k in Iqaluit in just the past couple of years, and ghettos near the airport are getting exponentially bigger. Western urbanization definitely seems to be going well for them up there, more wealth is being generated via property value there than anywhere else in the country. It's the Canadian way!

This is why we all need to vote for the Liberals. So that they can study this problem.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Yeah I'm in 100% support for indigenous gun ownership to support their traditions and lifestyle. It's the tacticool gun nut fuckers who draw my ire.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

vyelkin posted:

imo consumption of increasing amounts of US and US-inspired right-wing media has made large parts of the Canadian right more attuned to American issues, and so they hear that Trudeau wants to ban guns and immediately rush to use all the talking points they've picked up from the American right about totalitarian liberals wanting to ban guns just like Hitler did

A good portion of the electorate probably thinks we have the second amendment.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Ban guns from the Police.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicAcne posted:

A good portion of the electorate probably thinks we have the second amendment.

there is a vague tradition in english law of a right to self defense and to bear arms, which was codified in the 2nd amendment

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

Rutibex posted:

bear arms

Change it to "bare arms" and muscle shirts only for everyone.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
ban white people until we figure out what the hell is going on

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm white and I approve that message

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
read chester brown's louis riel

brown is a weirdo but the comic graphic novel is good

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ban guns from the Police.

I will never support banning guns until this happens first

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

*mass shooting occurs with direct support of police and their equipment*

drat JimBobs are ruining this country! They don't need no guns! Ban them all!

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

Police should only be given coupons for subway to give out to people.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://twitter.com/shawnmicallef/status/1433857896266309653?s=19

https://twitter.com/shawnmicallef/status/1433857898413707273?s=19

abolish them

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

Mandate all police and RCMP officer has to be vaccinated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Dreylad posted:

read chester brown's louis riel

brown is a weirdo but the comic graphic novel is good

I randomly ended up partying with Seth and Chester on NYE 2000. We were sort of becoming friends leading up to then and I never saw them again after that night.