Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Actually it did have the water pump and thermostat done just before I bought it so that aspect will be good for a while...probably...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Still have expansion tanks and radiator end caps to worry about!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
All those hoses!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Eric Keller of EAG passed away from a motorcycle accident a couple days ago. What a bummer, I know a lot of people don't like their style or business model but the guy was extremely good for the BMW community and he had a huge amount of knowledge and influence.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah I'd drive it more in to the ground solely due to the paintwork. The rest is pretty straightforward stuff to take care of. Intake manifold gasket is technically DIYable if you're so inclined and the parts are cheap. Taking off the intake mainfold is a slog but it's not technically hard and you can do it in your driveway with the hood open. Good news is that you get access to the brake fluid reservoir at the same time, and you can clean the throttle body and poo poo too while you're at it. I suppose the downside is that you have to disconnect the fuel rail so there's gonna be some gasoline spill, it's a big slog, and you need to be careful about dropping poo poo in the intakes.
Eeeh I might take a crack at most of this myself except for the brake fluid which i'd be too afraid to gently caress up.

Part of me wants to wait and see if they update the Model 3 or S. The 3 is fairly fugly although I love driving it. But I also
love my broken old manual BMW and it only cost me $8k when I bought it so

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Brake fluid is pretty easy, especially if you get a power bleeder, which is totally worth it.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Brake fluid is pretty easy, especially if you get a power bleeder, which is totally worth it.

Yeah the Motiv is like $65 or something, and OEM brake fluid is even pretty cheap from the dealer. I think I did my F30 in like 40 minutes, and it has extra bleed spots on the bigger brakes. The problem was taking out the CDV, that's how I learned brake fluid tasted bad. Still annoyed that both of mine went fine and the problem one was my Dad's car. :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was going to do my brake fluid myself, but when I was getting my car inspected, the place I was at said it was 140 bucks, so I just did that. But now I do have to do something to my car. The fourth wheel speed sensor went out, the one I should have replaced when the front two died. I was lazy and thought "I'll just wait until the other one goes to replace it" and here I am. If it isn't the consequences of my own (in)actions.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Eeeh I might take a crack at most of this myself except for the brake fluid which i'd be too afraid to gently caress up.

Part of me wants to wait and see if they update the Model 3 or S. The 3 is fairly fugly although I love driving it. But I also

If you do the intake manifold take a whole lot of pictures and mark all the various harnesses and make a list of what's been disconnected. Yes, they only plug in to the correct point. Yes, you will hate yourself when you forgot to connect something that's deep in the underside of the manifold like the knock sensor.

Hell if you wanna do it I'd be willing to take a shot with ya at some point.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you do the intake manifold take a whole lot of pictures and mark all the various harnesses and make a list of what's been disconnected. Yes, they only plug in to the correct point. Yes, you will hate yourself when you forgot to connect something that's deep in the underside of the manifold like the knock sensor.

Hell if you wanna do it I'd be willing to take a shot with ya at some point.

Or a vacuum hose and it runs like poo poo! :D

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

I don't want to go Tesla chat here but I don't see how you could go from a BMW to a Tesla, especially yours. The model3 is a blast to drive but I'd recommend you see if you can find someone to let you go on a long drive with one. That screen gets more annoying the longer I engage with it.

I legitimately almost bought an M3P instead of my M340i but backed out because of said screen.

It also doesn't help that when I first took out the Tesla, the "salesperson" or whatever the gently caress the people at the Tesla store in Dedham MA are scratched that Piano black center console with his badge.

That straight line performance though...holy poo poo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Things happened.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I highly approve of your colour choice. Is that a matching interior I can see?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

kronix posted:

I don't want to go Tesla chat here but I don't see how you could go from a BMW to a Tesla, especially yours. The model3 is a blast to drive but I'd recommend you see if you can find someone to let you go on a long drive with one. That screen gets more annoying the longer I engage with it.

I legitimately almost bought an M3P instead of my M340i but backed out because of said screen.

It also doesn't help that when I first took out the Tesla, the "salesperson" or whatever the gently caress the people at the Tesla store in Dedham MA are scratched that Piano black center console with his badge.

That straight line performance though...holy poo poo.
I rented one for a weekend and drove it around Oregon and Washington (I posted about this in the "review rental cars" thread.) I honestly am fine with the screen. I really dislike not having physical controls but otherwise I don't have a big problem with it. I spend a lot of time fumbling with my AVIN unit as it is.

My real problems with the model 3 are the lack of sound deadening and that it looks kinda dumb.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AirRaid posted:

I highly approve of your colour choice. Is that a matching interior I can see?

It is but the awful app won't let me upload the image.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Do a burnout.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Things happened.

Hell yeah! How’s the color in person?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KillHour posted:

Things happened.

I've seen darker ones in person and haven't been as put off by the grill, but now I see these pictures again and I'm not sure.

How's it look in person?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The color distracts you from the grille pretty effectively. It's actually really cool because in artificial light it's yellow but in the sun it's acid green.

The CF roof looks insane in direct sun too.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
It’s official. I don’t care about the grill anymore.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
ngl, thinking about this as a dadcar at some point.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

After the break in

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What sort of out the door pricing can you expect for a new M3 right now? I ditched the m340 due to some Bullshit

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

There's an amg mercedes of some sort around where I live that's wrapped in a color similar to that. It is amazing and really sticks out. Good choice on the color. I don't personally mind the grill nearly as much in person as in photos. I'd probably be looking at getting a similar one if I didn't really want a convertible so bad.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

I rented one for a weekend and drove it around Oregon and Washington (I posted about this in the "review rental cars" thread.) I honestly am fine with the screen. I really dislike not having physical controls but otherwise I don't have a big problem with it. I spend a lot of time fumbling with my AVIN unit as it is.

My real problems with the model 3 are the lack of sound deadening and that it looks kinda dumb.

Yeah the lack of sound deadening does kinda suck.

The screen and the fact that it eats through range at fairly typical Mass Turnpike speeds was the final straw. I’m not a speed freak but I want to be able to cruise at 80 MPH on the highways here because that’s the speed of the middle lane without traffic. On my 10 mile test drive of the M3P I ate through like 30 miles of range. To be fair I spent most of that ride giving the poor Tesla guy a series of mini heart attacks.

The real kicker for me is my local BMW dealership has been exceedingly good about taking care of me if I have even minor issues with the car. We’re talking about comping a water pump out of warranty and putting me in a loaner 330 wagon for 2 weeks because a part they thought they had wasn’t in instead of making me come back for my car.

What can I say, I’m a fanboy.

kronix fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 5, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

kronix posted:

Yeah the lack of sound deadening does kinda suck.

The screen and the fact that it eats through range at fairly typical Mass Turnpike speeds was the final straw. I’m not a speed freak but I want to be able to cruise at 80 MPH on the highways here because that’s the speed of the middle lane without traffic. On my 10 mile test drive of the M3P I ate through like 30 miles of range. To be fair I spent most of that ride giving the poor Tesla guy a series of mini heart attacks.

The real kicker for me is my local BMW dealership has been exceedingly good about taking care of me if I have even minor issues with the car. We’re talking about comping a water pump out of warranty and putting me in a loaner 330 wagon for 2 weeks because a part they thought they had wasn’t in instead of making me come back for my car.

What can I say, I’m a fanboy.
I assume that is Herb Chambers BMW of Sudbury...

I get the range anxiety as well but it isn't a dealbreaker for me at all. The one thing that is kind of a dealbreaker is that they no longer offer the Model 3 with a sunroof. I'm that guy who has the sunroof open 3 seasons a year, I love having it for rural cruising.

It is tempting to put a 3 stage intake on the 328, fix it up, and try to own it through another 50k or so miles. I'm only putting about 8k miles/year on it as it is. I'm definitely satisfied with the car even though it doesn't have the Tesla acceleration. My biggest problems with it are the frequent expensive repairs, and the fact it's an ICE car in a warming world. I am guessing it would cost me about $10-15k in maintenance, including the paintwork, to own it another 5 years.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What sort of out the door pricing can you expect for a new M3 right now? I ditched the m340 due to some Bullshit

In my neck of the woods (SoCal) most dealers have a few thousand markup, but every now and then you can find one for MSRP. This one is marked at MSRP but who knows if they'll try to jack up the price when you walk in: https://www.crevierbmw.com/inventory/new-2021-bmw-m3-sdn-rear-wheel-drive-sedan-wbs53ay02mfl57943/

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm curious: what's the bullshit?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

MSRP + $500 for a broker to find you an allocation if you want it in a reasonable time.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Residency Evil posted:

I'm curious: what's the bullshit?

They were playing games with me. We agreed to a price but they tried some "ah ha but we didn't negotiate the Market Adjustment yet!" and it was within $10k of the handful of M3's they had on the lot.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They were playing games with me. We agreed to a price but they tried some "ah ha but we didn't negotiate the Market Adjustment yet!" and it was within $10k of the handful of M3's they had on the lot.

lmfao on a 3-series? Get hosed.

Car dealers are miserable.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

KillHour posted:

Things happened.

yesssssss

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My dealer didn't pull any market adjustment shenanigans despite putting my order in when market was pretty hosed in June. A decent spec M3/4 base will be in the high 70s, a couple Gs more for the comp and a few more for xDrive. Mine (base) was specced to 81k but I opted for the seats (which I am thankful for insisting on every time I get in it) and the upgraded leather interior, which helps with the absurd interior but I probably wouldn't miss.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mine is the opposite. I have all the tech options checked and none of the visual stuff (except the extended leather and CF steering wheel) and it was a hair under 90k.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
Oh I had more than just those, but those were the pricier options that realty added to the cost.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
After repeatedly saying I would never consider the new M3/M4 due to the grill... the interior, body shaping and overall 'style' is winning me over. (I still dislike that off center sensor in the front).

Great looking cars!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The assisted driving system is really good. Can plow through 8 hours of driving like it's 3. Practically drives itself and literally drives itself in slow traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
It's about that time again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WieBN931vos