Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I don't remember a lot of the specifics of Gundam Wing. I just remember not liking it much in high school because the Gundams were way too OP even compared to other gundams, and certain mobile suits were way more OP than other mobile suits. It just sucked out all of the dramatic tension from all the fights knowing they're foregone conclusions.

I mean, being OP is the defining characteristic of every Gundam, but most series have enough sense to not make them so OP that they're never in any kind of danger or can't get outplayed by a smarter or more experienced pilot.

The Gundam pilots in Wing get outplayed all the drat time dude. The Wing Gundam gets shot down in the first episode causing Heero to immediately try to kill himself, Oz Tricks Heero into killing a good guy, and the first time the Wing fights the Tallgeese ends in Heero self destructing the Gundam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Still plugging along with the OG Gundam series and still enjoying it, the animation is rough but it still holds up, dont think I ever finished either of the follow up series and I'm sad they didn't use the same english voice cast because the dub is just solid Ocean Studios fare

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a lot of people seem to remember wing based on clips from the first few episodes featuring the gundams effortlessly blowing up mooks. that's not really representative of the rest of the show. it's actually about every single character being insane.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
i only had access to spanish mag cds with real media clips and amvs so wing looked a pretty cool nu metal show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc5EEUeagBg

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Tiler Kiwi posted:

my favorite youtube philosophy guy put out a video about berserk and Nietzsche

https://youtu.be/zxTwYdYzw8c

i was going to make this post word for word in the berserk thread but i decided against it because anime fans. for some reason i forgot about this thread.

anyway here's something nice about Kentaro Miura:

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/calebandrew/status/1395434622448594945

Incredibly fitting that the guy who wrote a story about how the struggle to find hope and happiness even after experiencing the worst pain imaginable responded to his industry exploiting him by doing what little he could to break the cycle: hiring his own staff full time and paying them a wage they could actually build a life off of. What a loving guy.

https://www.otaquest.com/kentaro-miura-interview-duranki-berserk/ posted:

But this also means that Studio Gaga assistants don’t have much time for any manga beyond Miura’s, which is often branded quite clearly with Miura’s own name with no mention of the assistants to be found; something which didn’t seem quite fair to Miura, who was once an aspiring creator himself, after all.

Launching Duranki as a new series clearly branded with the Studio Gaga name alongside his own (see below) provides, therefore, a way for Miura’s assistants to get properly credited for their work, and develop themselves as artists and creatives due to the fact that the majority of the work will fall to them.

Dude not only made sure they had their needs met, he actively worked to make sure they would get the chance to be independent. i'm going to pretend the piss loli manga was an idea from one of his edgy assistants that he didn't have the heart to stop.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

https://twitter.com/DannyVegito/status/1432540466814259200?s=20

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/rajandelman/status/1434722739445649415?s=19

Goku found out what an abortion was and now GT isn't canon

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Hodgepodge posted:

This time, mankind will use its own power to bring the apocalypse, and there's poo poo all you can do about it.

Anno may just be fundamentally too old to really get that part of why his work resonated was that there being giant robots, cool space god magic, and a chance at agency is the fantasy part for many of us because the world ending thing is happening and we can do gently caress all, and it's also boring.
i didnt think about the world ending as a kid though

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Relin posted:

i didnt think about the world ending as a kid though

Anno spent a lot of college living in his rich friend's fallout shelter, because the rich friend didn't care about Anno eating the food that was going to expire.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
finally finished End of Evangelion (spent the last week or so binging NGE and death and rebirth), and although I have to admit I greatly enjoyed watching it, and loved the aesthetic weirdness and the daring last half hour, I really don't think it's quite as difficult and incomprehensible as people think. at its core it's a scathing critique of alienation in a very broad sense (which it, of course, has in common with many Japanese works. Serial Experiments Lain as a particularly striking example). as striking as its esoteric, kabbalistic elements are, i'd argue the third impact is really just hegelian civil society in practice taken to its logical conclusion.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
also, the kaworu/shinji relationship makes much more sense as a romantic relationship so screw all the disbelieving wiki nerds

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Stairmaster posted:

is gundam wing the only gundam series to have a second op that isn't noticeably worse than the first
i think you said this before. you were wrong then and you are wrong now.

From the Aqueous Star with Love is better than Zeta - Transcending Times, and both are great.

Silent Voice is better, but Anime Ja Nai is funnier

Lots of people (not me!) prefer Men of Destiny to The Winner, and certainly it's not noticeable worse. both rule.

Resolution and Dreams are both S-tier

Weebs loved Ash Like Snow (but i don't)

Victory, Turn A, SEED, and G, sure.

e: I KNEW IT! you motherfucker

TenementFunster has issued a correction as of 22:09 on Sep 8, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gundam Build Fighters is another one where OP 2 is superior. Wimp is a great song.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

People are talking about Gundam Wing?! Did I miss my chance to post this yet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XwRfWCwsSs ?

Well I am doing it anyway.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Darth Walrus posted:

Gundam Build Fighters is another one where OP 2 is superior. Wimp is a great song.
i think we can all agree that SomethingAwful Forums User "stairmaster" is trolling me and should be exiled to r/gundam

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
also some people say "Century Color" is better than "Turn A, Turn," but only because they have not yet been liquidated by my team of loyal anisong assassins

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The final arc of Gundam wing is all about Virgos and their bullshit shields and it sucks.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's really funny that those scientists made that revolutionary and easily reproducible weapons technology as a distraction so they could upgrade two gundams. one of those upgrades consisted of two stretchy arms with flamethrowers. you know, something useful unlike that ridiculous ploy of impenetrable force fields.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Lostconfused posted:

People are talking about Gundam Wing?! Did I miss my chance to post this yet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XwRfWCwsSs ?

Well I am doing it anyway.
"I don't feel that was an appropriate subject for your greeting speech" lol but it is

<Heero self-destructs>

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

HootTheOwl posted:

The final arc of Gundam wing is all about Virgos and their bullshit shields and it sucks.

Even the writers realized they hosed up with the Virgos. They walked back hard on how effective their shields were. They just kinda decide during the last few battles that even even the Heavyarm’s conventional arsenal of old fashioned bullets can penetrate them. To say nothing about the Leos.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
man the last chapter of berserk is so emotional and sad. the good really do die young. gently caress

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Knight posted:

"I don't feel that was an appropriate subject for your greeting speech" lol but it is

<Heero self-destructs>

Did you hear about the new kid? Duo Maxwell killed himself!

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Honest Thief posted:

i only had access to spanish mag cds with real media clips and amvs so wing looked a pretty cool nu metal show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc5EEUeagBg

This was the first YouTube video I ever saw. Beginning of an era really.

edit: possibly pre YouTube now that I think about it. It may have been a QuickTime player video.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

TheMightyBoops posted:

This was the first YouTube video I ever saw. Beginning of an era really.

edit: possibly pre YouTube now that I think about it. It may have been a QuickTime player video.

it was around the time when people shared realmedia player files

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sentence: GUILLOTINE

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

That Time I Died And Got Reincarnated As A French Beheading Apparatus

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Anybody know any translation groups looking for a new project?

https://twitter.com/TomoMachi/status/1437275953554604035?s=20

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Q shaman in the background lol

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Austerity but anime
https://twitter.com/myanimelist/status/1437833592806252544?s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I vaguely remember hearing an explanation that Japan's relation to their national debt is somewhat unusual, so a Japanese person complaining about it doesn't mean what it does when an American complains about the American national debt

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
There is an Isekai currently airing with almost that exact same premise, realist hero rebuilds kingdom. It's not great, but not bad.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

I vaguely remember hearing an explanation that Japan's relation to their national debt is somewhat unusual, so a Japanese person complaining about it doesn't mean what it does when an American complains about the American national debt

Japan's economy has been stagnating since the mid-90s, and in the long run looks like a slight recession. So their national debt keeps getting bigger while their ability to service the debt keeps getting weaker. Deficit spending should facilitate economic expansion, but in Japan it just ain't happening. That doesn't mean austerity will improve anything, but they've got problems.

Also, a national debt in a pre-modern mercantilistic context has a very negative connotation. Modern states developed in large part because the crowned heads of Europe were constantly having to come up with new ways to service their debts. Everything was essentially operating on an elaborate system of IOUs.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!
how we like to imagine the ruling class:

the actual ruling class:

Gripweed posted:

Anybody know any translation groups looking for a new project?

https://twitter.com/TomoMachi/status/1437275953554604035?s=20

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
oh god the full cover

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
that whistle is killing me

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Reik posted:

There is an Isekai currently airing with almost that exact same premise, realist hero rebuilds kingdom. It's not great, but not bad.
they did a quick a cappella cover of Give A Reason, so who is to say whether it’s good or bad

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/SUNRISEINC7/status/1438072167820763137
https://twitter.com/SUNRISEINC7/status/1438072237051965441

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Lol doans island movie wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Populon posted:

Lol doans island movie wtf

Gundam The Origin had a five volume spinoff about Cucuruz Doan's Island