Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
E: I sure read well dang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

I'm currently an RN working with EHR applications but I really want to explore the world of devops as a career pivot. I just built out a website on Azure Static Web Apps to host my resume, using Azure Functions, attached to a Cosmos DB and using CI/CD.

I did all this while clicking around the Azure portal UI. Would a good next step be deploying all of that from the Azure CLI?

If anyone is working with Azure Devops, any entry career advice? I'm new to these tools but I've been scripting/automating work tasks for a long time.

Rewrite everything in terraform, then deploy it on an autoscaling kubernetes cluster. Add prometheus/grafana to track metrics. And a jenkins server to deploy updates on merge to github master. If you can do that, there's a lot of shops that will hire you.

The CLI exists (in my opinion) to provide a reference on how the API works. You write tooling that leverages the API either directly, via python etc, or indirectly, terraform. Terraform seems to be the modern lingua franca, although a lotttttt of people are using ansible, or using ansible to run terraform. Or jenkins to run ansible to run terraform.

The UI is a good start, it gets you comfortable with what's available, common options/feature themes (tagging, etc) but in an interview you'll be expected to understand how to leverage the API

I would look at learning AWS as well, the skills mostly transfer but you'll want to know the AWS terminology as they're the industry leader and most everyone is familiar with the terms they use. If you tell someone you backed your front end with "azure sql" you need to be able to say like, "oh, that's azure's version of RDS"

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hadlock posted:

Rewrite everything in terraform, then deploy it on an autoscaling kubernetes cluster. Add prometheus/grafana to track metrics. And a jenkins server to deploy updates on merge to github master. If you can do that, there's a lot of shops that will hire you.

The CLI exists (in my opinion) to provide a reference on how the API works. You write tooling that leverages the API either directly, via python etc, or indirectly, terraform. Terraform seems to be the modern lingua franca, although a lotttttt of people are using ansible, or using ansible to run terraform. Or jenkins to run ansible to run terraform.

The UI is a good start, it gets you comfortable with what's available, common options/feature themes (tagging, etc) but in an interview you'll be expected to understand how to leverage the API

I would look at learning AWS as well, the skills mostly transfer but you'll want to know the AWS terminology as they're the industry leader and most everyone is familiar with the terms they use. If you tell someone you backed your front end with "azure sql" you need to be able to say like, "oh, that's azure's version of RDS"

I appreciate the guidance. I've installed Terraform and have started working through the basics.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Hughmoris posted:

I'm currently an RN working with EHR applications but I really want to explore the world of devops as a career pivot. I just built out a website on Azure Static Web Apps to host my resume, using Azure Functions, attached to a Cosmos DB and using CI/CD.

I did all this while clicking around the Azure portal UI. Would a good next step be deploying all of that from the Azure CLI?

If anyone is working with Azure Devops, any entry career advice? I'm new to these tools but I've been scripting/automating work tasks for a long time.

Give https://cloudresumechallenge.dev/ a look and go through the motions on your platform of choice. This should end you with a useful and relevant project you can talk about in interviews, something you'd (presumably) be lacking if you're looking at switching careers. Everyone wants to hire someone with (some) experience and not take a chance on someone that's interested in computers but lacking relevant experience.

Having a demonstrable portfolio relevant to entering the field will absolutely give you a huge leg up when interviewing for junior positions against people who just slap 4 years of $UNDER_GRAD B.S. comp sci into their CV.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SeaborneClink posted:

Give https://cloudresumechallenge.dev/ a look and go through the motions on your platform of choice. This should end you with a useful and relevant project you can talk about in interviews, something you'd (presumably) be lacking if you're looking at switching careers. Everyone wants to hire someone with (some) experience and not take a chance on someone that's interested in computers but lacking relevant experience.

Having a demonstrable portfolio relevant to entering the field will absolutely give you a huge leg up when interviewing for junior positions against people who just slap 4 years of $UNDER_GRAD B.S. comp sci into their CV.

Thanks for the advice. That's exactly what I built yesterday, except an Azure flavor: https://acloudguru.com/blog/engineering/cloudguruchallenge-your-resume-in-azure . I've completed the project and have added the site to my resume, LinkedIn etc...

I think I will walk through and complete an AWS version of it tomorrow (already started working through tutorials on Amplify and Lambda). Then I will take the step of rewriting one in Terraform and progress from there.

Might start working on the AWS Solutions Architect - Associate cert on the side.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Hughmoris posted:

Might start working on the AWS Solutions Architect - Associate cert on the side.

On a related note (this question isn't directed at you btw), does the SA associate certificate look better than the developer associate? Developer is more in line with what I want do with my career, but I'm the only one going for the developer certification even though my company is willing to pay for either. I think they're just happy for anyone to get certified, since they need to hit the minimum number of people for AWS partner status, but I'm thinking more about how it looks on my resume.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

chmods please posted:

I'm thinking more about how it looks on my resume.

Almost no one takes certifications seriously. It might help getting past an HR screen but that's about it.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Almost no one takes certifications seriously. It might help getting past an HR screen but that's about it.

Gonna be honest I completely gloss over any certifications people list on their resume.

The certificate is for your own benefit of being able to speak about and understand the material. I seriously doubt it even makes a difference for resume keyword searching

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The certification might be useful if your recruiter is doing the first pass, might help keep from getting cut from the first pass

I personally haven't given them much weight, if anything it might be a flag that they're exceptionally new. I don't see many certifications on resumes, devops people tend to be self taught

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
The notion that people with certifications can't also be self-taught is an extremely strange and frankly unjustifiable hiring bias, and I'm curious how, even if it were true, you imagine it connecting to any actual outcomes

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
As a woman I find certifications extremely helpful because I still get people explaining basic poo poo like the various KMS flavours to me, so it’s a nice way to say “I’m not just here to look pretty”. At my most recent job, certifications were explicitly the reason why I was promoted froM IT to a devops-y role.

People say certifications don’t matter like they say titles don’t matter. They might not matter to *you*. They matter for me.

And in general I really like them because it’s a nice self contained way to learn a new set of knowledge. But I hella overstudy for certs in any event. Last one I did was a GCP networking cert, studied for a month, took 20 pages of notes and finished the exam in less than 10 minutes. So your mileage my vary.

I will say as someone who does lots of hiring I don’t tend to look at them in much depth. But I do look at them.

E: I will say resumes also don’t matter that much and ideally you should build up your network to the point the resume doesn’t matter. But that’s an ideal point and even then you still need to have *some* piece of paper nobody will ever look at. So I’m sympathetic to both sides of the argument, though my personal experience has made me value certs a fair bit.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 29, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Vulture Culture posted:

The notion that people with certifications can't also be self-taught is an extremely strange and frankly unjustifiable hiring bias, and I'm curious how, even if it were true, you imagine it connecting to any actual outcomes

Well my statement was "I don't see many certifications on resumes, devops people tend to be self taught", the observation being that there's a correlation between people who are self taught working in devops roles, and a lack of certifications seen on resumes of people who have been working in the field a long time. Because I see so few certifications, I'd guess the only reason you would get a certification would be if you're trying to break into the industry. I remember when I first entered the workforce with no experience, hiring managers were always asking me if I had any certifications.

I guess my statement could be construed as exclusionary, but that certainly wasn't my point, which is probably why it seems extremely strange and unjustifiable, particularly because there's a new guy on this very page doing both self learning and suggesting getting a certification

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Vulture Culture posted:

in an earlier time, if you were hiring people for microsoft ecosystem software, you'd occasionally get the candidate that would have a seven page resume with like, fifty-five different flavors of microsoft certificates listed such as the MCPD. i worked with a couple of people like this, and interviewed many more, and they were to a person some of the most useless motherfuckers to have ever sat in front of a computer screen pretending to be developers. i haven't seen anyone like this in many years so maybe all these people either died or are working in AI now.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

in an earlier time, if you were hiring people for microsoft ecosystem software, you'd occasionally get the candidate that would have a seven page resume with like, fifty-five different flavors of microsoft certificates listed such as the MCPD. i worked with a couple of people like this, and interviewed many more, and they were to a person some of the most useless motherfuckers to have ever sat in front of a computer screen pretending to be developers. i haven't seen anyone like this in many years so maybe all these people either died or are working in AI now.
Sure, you'll definitely see people in the industry who, for some reason, think credibility and influence and salary are something that you accumulate by doing the same thing over and over and over in slightly broader or slightly different ways, instead of solving bigger problems for the business. Over time, you'll probably work out heuristics for identifying those people. Hopefully they're good ones. Fifty-five certifications does seem, you know, excessive. Thinking you can do that many things really well, framed through certifications or anything else, would probably send up a red flag for me.

I have two main thoughts on the broader matter, from an explicitly American lens:

First, most of my expertise and attention right now is focused on companies that are working through expansive growth phases, of a few hundred through a few thousand engineers. In companies that move towards being product-driven organizations, doing DevOps, where teams are expected to own their own services and supporting infrastructure end-to-end, I keep seeing the same pattern over and over: people have a pre-existing mental model of the problem in front of them, and they autodidact just enough of their tools and platforms to be able to solve the immediate problem right in front of them, rinse and repeat ad nauseam. My life, and my colleagues' lives in similar companies, would be so much easier if 5% of the engineers in the business lines would take just a little bit of formal AWS training, because a little bit of breadth gives a better mental model, a clearer perspective, and the knowledge to not burn weeks and weeks on Not Invented Here reinventions of perfectly good AWS features. I would love to see more people who have made that up-front investment. Almost nobody does. Sure, Getting poo poo Done is a great attribute, but it doesn't create a well-rounded employee, and it's nice to see it rounded out with some demonstrated curiosity and study into things others have already built.

Second, as someone who professionally works in diversity, equity, and inclusion: "I'm self-taught, please believe me!" works great for people who have names on their resume like Brian Robinson or whatever, but the same benefit of the doubt is rarely granted to Kwame Mensah or Valentina Hernandez: even after they start the job, they're more likely to be viewed as somebody who somehow faked something about their qualifications. Certifications are supposed to establish a common base of knowledge (and acknowledging that they often fail at doing this). Even when a certification is executed well (with the old RHCE program being a good example), it doesn't benefit the white/Asian men who are 60% of software engineers as much, because they already have the benefit of the doubt that they aren't lying about their technical skills. However, this is actually an important thing for everyone else. You really shouldn't discourage folks from pursuing this path unless you have a really good sense of what roadblocks they're likely to see entering into or progressing in industry. For white men, though? Unless they talk a certain way, comparatively few people will preconceive them as liars about their skillset.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 29, 2021

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Where do the public IPs on an NLB actually go.

Like if my DNS record resolves to 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2 and I have three availability zones as backends of my NLB. What availability zones does that ingress traffic to enter the NLB go to. I can't find how this entry-to-NLB part works in the aws docs.

Asking because us-west-2 has had a big fire today impacting an AZ's ability to communicate to the internet, and cross-AZ. We've been considering moving some workloads out of us-west-2, but for application reasons, its complicated. And its unclear how much it would benefit us given that there is the possibility that at least some traffic is being dropped before it enters the NLB in the first place, should it depend on the broken AZ.

Do those IPs have affinity to a particular AZ? Are they anycasted? Is there any failover mechanism where if one AZ is dead, it stops being advertised and traffic shifts over to a working AZ? Do I have any insight to this whatsoever as a user?

If the normal OS dns resolution scheme gives me an IP that is just broken because it goes to a bad AZ, I suppose it would be up to the application to have the correct logic to know to try all the IPs returned in the dns record response until it finds an IP that works.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 31, 2021

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Methanar posted:

Where do the public IPs on an NLB actually go.

Like if my DNS record resolves to 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2 and I have three availability zones as backends of my NLB. What availability zones does that ingress traffic to enter the NLB go to. I can't find how this entry-to-NLB part works in the aws docs.

Asking because us-west-2 has had a big fire today impacting an AZ's ability to communicate to the internet, and cross-AZ. We've been considering moving some workloads out of us-west-2, but for application reasons, its complicated. And its unclear how much it would benefit us given that there is the possibility that at least some traffic is being dropped before it enters the NLB in the first place, should it depend on the broken AZ.

Do those IPs have affinity to a particular AZ? Are they anycasted? Is there any failover mechanism where if one AZ is dead, it stops being advertised and traffic shifts over to a working AZ? Do I have any insight to this whatsoever as a user?

If the normal OS dns resolution scheme gives me an IP that is just broken because it goes to a bad AZ, I suppose it would be up to the application to have the correct logic to know to try all the IPs returned in the dns record response until it finds an IP that works.

each ip corresponds to a specific az-local loadbalancer, so if you have an nlb deployed into 3 azs you should have 3 ips in the dns response for your lb. by default nlb doesn't perform cross az routing, so the loadbalancer in zone 1 will only route to endpoints in zone 1, etc. you can optionally turn on cross-az routing which will distribute the entire set of endpoints to all zonal loadbalancers.

by default nlb will pull a zonal loadbalancer from dns if there are no healthy endpoints behind it, either because there are no endpoints in that zone or all of them are unhealthy. however, there is no explicit mechanism to control this via the nlb api.

however, there is a workaround! if you have your nlb dns record, say nlb-1234.us-west-2.amazonaws.com, then you can leverage the dns record us-west-2a.nlb-1234.us-west-2.amazonaws.com to get just the ip for that us-west-2a (and so on for all zones). you can use that along with weighted alias records in route 53 to implement your own weighting mechanism to weigh out an entire az from dns.

FamDav fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 31, 2021

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

IIRC you can find the aforementioned IPs as being attached to an ENI in your ENI list for that region, if that helps connect the dots more fully.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I managed to setup a security group on the ENIs that are associated with an NLB before and used IP-only based rules. Or something similar anyway that let me have some vague restrictions to make myself feel comfortable anyway. The reason that NLBs don't support security groups from what my snooping around showed is that only IP based rules would work for security groups, which doesn't meet the full security group spec that supports references to other security groups. So unless they did some split between different security group types like we have been classic LBs, ALBs, and NLBs this will be unlikely to change.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Traefik's official documentation site is awful

https://doc.traefik.io/traefik/providers/kubernetes-ingress/

The whole thing is the width of a newspaper column, the examples just scroll off the margin into the ether. In most cases if you ctrl+(minus key) enough times you can shrink the text small enough to get the doco to spread out into a readable 4-5 inches per line, but nope, here it just stays seven words per line wide, nine miles long

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 5, 2021

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Hadlock posted:

The whole thing is the width of a newspaper column, the examples just scroll off the margin into the ether. In most cases if you ctrl+(minus key) enough times you can shrink the text small enough to get the doco to spread out into a readable 4-5 inches per line, but nope, here it just stays seven words per line wide, nine miles long

What's the benefit of using traefik over regular old nginx ingress.

I remember the old killer feature was that it had some no-reload fancy service discovery mechanism built in, whereas 3-4 years ago nginx would reload itself every time it needed to add new targets. Today nginx's SD is lua and doesn't need to constantly be reloading itself.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Not only does it look fine to me (1440p 27" monitor, whether browser is a 'normal'-sized window or maximized), but it appears to fairly responsively adjust to different zoom levels. The only thing I see cut off are TOC entries with a long single word, which they could/should have had use an ellipsis to look nicer. You might want to check if some CSS and/or JS is getting blocked by your browser or something.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Methanar posted:

What's the benefit of using traefik over regular old nginx ingress.

It comes prepackaged with k3s is the only reason in 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I tried real hard to get up to speed on traefik a couple years ago because I needed a magic proxy to make a bunch of silly web page containers accessible. They promised auto discovery of said backends, but I could never get it to work. It's very possible I am a giant idiot though.

So I went back to a static nginx that I have to configure proxy pass rules for manually.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

xzzy posted:

I tried real hard to get up to speed on traefik a couple years ago because I needed a magic proxy to make a bunch of silly web page containers accessible. They promised auto discovery of said backends, but I could never get it to work. It's very possible I am a giant idiot though.

So I went back to a static nginx that I have to configure proxy pass rules for manually.
I
Same - I tried right when they were rolling out traefik 2 and the documentation was very poor, and service discovery was not fun.

I’d probably not have nearly as much trouble today having done two years of cloud bullshit, but I too would stick to nginx unless I had a very compelling reason otherwise.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Seems like eu-central-1 is throwing a lot more InsufficientInstanceCapacity errors for EC2 instances for the past couple weeks. Anybody else running into that as well?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Today at work one of my coworkers found an S3 bucket that wasn't in use by any external services, but kept generating new files. So they dug into what was generating the files and we found out it's coming from inside the house

Someone long ago setup access logging for the S3 bucket, then set the access logs to write to the same bucket

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Today at work one of my coworkers found an S3 bucket that wasn't in use by any external services, but kept generating new files. So they dug into what was generating the files and we found out it's coming from inside the house

Someone long ago setup access logging for the S3 bucket, then set the access logs to write to the same bucket
My favorite part about this configuration is that I'm fairly sure Terraform is incapable of representing it

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I have a question: What build system should I use for my personal projects?

Background: I have a server in my basement that does not have enough VMs on it at the moment. I would really like to have a build system that would monitor some git repository, pull when changes are made to it and run a particular script and provide (or put somewhere) the resulting artifacts. This is just for personal projects. The less I'd have to gently caress around with it after setup the better.

The only build system I ever touched was Jenkins, and that was (and is) very briefly for little things. I don't have a problem with it, except that it seems to be a lot more than what I need. Is there a simpler one? I have a git repo on the network, now I'm using gitolite, but I wouldn't mind switching to another one if there's some tool out there that can combine git remote repo and CI and it would be relatively headache free for maintenance. I've heard Github itself does have some build system as well, I've never tried it. I usually only upload to github if I deem my project to be worthy of sharing, until then I just keep it on the local network. Though, now they do have free private repositories, but still ... why bother? But if their build system is worth learning, then it would be a compelling argument to just move to github.

What would you do for your own little projects?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Volguus posted:

Background: I have a server in my basement that does not have enough VMs on it at the moment. I would really like to have a build system that would monitor some git repository, pull when changes are made to it and run a particular script and provide (or put somewhere) the resulting artifacts. This is just for personal projects. The less I'd have to gently caress around with it after setup the better.

The only build system I ever touched was Jenkins, and that was (and is) very briefly for little things. I don't have a problem with it, except that it seems to be a lot more than what I need. Is there a simpler one? I have a git repo on the network, now I'm using gitolite, but I wouldn't mind switching to another one if there's some tool out there that can combine git remote repo and CI and it would be relatively headache free for maintenance. I've heard Github itself does have some build system as well, I've never tried it. I usually only upload to github if I deem my project to be worthy of sharing, until then I just keep it on the local network. Though, now they do have free private repositories, but still ... why bother? But if their build system is worth learning, then it would be a compelling argument to just move to github.

I'm using https://tekton.dev/ a lot right now and its great for what its meant to be for. I'm using it with Kaniko as my daemonless oci container builder https://github.com/GoogleContainerTools/kaniko to build containers inside of k8s container build agents.

I've heard nice things about https://github.com/fluxcd/flux2 this too. Try it and report back if you like it.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 11, 2021

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Methanar posted:

I'm using https://tekton.dev/ a lot right now and its great for what its meant to be for. I'm using it with Kaniko as my daemonless oci container builder https://github.com/GoogleContainerTools/kaniko to build containers inside of k8s container build agents.

I've heard nice things about https://github.com/fluxcd/flux2 this too. Try it and report back if you like it.
Flux isn't bad but Argo's about 10x easier to get started with

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Methanar posted:

Hah, it's all turtles containers all the way down. While I am using podman containers to build my application for different distributions (haven't figured out yet a command line script for windows build, that's a different challenge), I never played with kubernetes. But if I have to, then I guess it's time to finally learn what it is and what does it do. In addition to building the debs and the rpms I also am building (locally) a runtime container for my app which then can just be launched. I guess building containers in containers shouldn't be a big deal?

Vulture Culture posted:

Flux isn't bad but Argo's about 10x easier to get started with

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll play around with the suggestions to see how and if I can use them.

Just to clear things up for myself, when they talk about "kubernetes clusters" they just mean a VM where I install that "kubectl" tool? On whatever OS supports it?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Volguus posted:

Just to clear things up for myself, when they talk about "kubernetes clusters" they just mean a VM where I install that "kubectl" tool? On whatever OS supports it?

Kubernetes is a distributed container orchestrator which is made up of a couple of components and stores its state in etcd. kubectl is a CLI tool used to issue commands to the cluster. You can get single-node Kubernetes clusters on a workstation through Docker, KIND, microk8s, and probably a bunch of other ones that I'm forgetting or don't know about. Docker is probably the easiest way to get one, though.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Volguus posted:

I guess building containers in containers shouldn't be a big deal?

It's not a big deal if you properly use a daemonless builder tool. (do not use a tool that requires a docker/containerd socket). That means no naive `docker build`

Volguus posted:

Argo is a cd tool. What it probably means is a full k8s cluster that you deploy an app to, which is built and released on git merge.

If you want to run a small k8s on your server, just use k3s. If you want a scratch ephemeral k8s on your local workstation/wsl you can build and destroy in seconds use kind.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 11, 2021

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Volguus posted:

I assume you are backing up your git repos in some manner, since you mentioned you keep most of them locally. Definitely setup backups if you haven't already.

That being said, I just use Bitbucket and their Pipelines feature to run stuff when I push to my repos. GitLab and GitHub have their equivalents as well, and they all work about the same as far as I know. I use Bitbucket just because that's what I started with way back when. If I was starting today I'd probably use Gitlab since that's what I'm familiar with using at work. I think each of these providers offers a certain amount of free "build minutes". I pay a small fee for additional build minutes on Bitbucket.

I think bitbucket still offers unlimited free private repositories, so it was a no brainer for me rather than trying to self host something.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Any viable replacements for Docker Desktop on Mac yet? We're beginning to replace infra container management with containerd but the dev experience still sucks rear end and after Docker's announcement about the change to their licensing, I'd think other products would be ready to pounce.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Blinkz0rz posted:

Any viable replacements for Docker Desktop on Mac yet? We're beginning to replace infra container management with containerd but the dev experience still sucks rear end and after Docker's announcement about the change to their licensing, I'd think other products would be ready to pounce.

https://medium.com/nttlabs/containerd-and-lima-39e0b64d2a59

This is the most promising replacement I've seen so far.

This is basically an identical user experience with the function in your bashrc/zshrc
code:
function docker() {
  lima nerdctl $@
}

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

i'm a fan of using lima and nerdctl or docker. once installed you can basically do

code:
alias docker="limactl shell <vm> docker"
and it all just works

https://github.com/lima-vm/lima

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Methanar posted:

It's not a big deal if you properly use a daemonless builder tool. (do not use a tool that requires a docker/containerd socket). That means no naive `docker build`

Argo is a cd tool. What it probably means is a full k8s cluster that you deploy an app to, which is built and released on git merge.

If you want to run a small k8s on your server, just use k3s. If you want a scratch ephemeral k8s on your local workstation/wsl you can build and destroy in seconds use kind.

I honestly ... have no idea what is what and why. I'll have to google a fair bit.

fletcher posted:

I assume you are backing up your git repos in some manner, since you mentioned you keep most of them locally. Definitely setup backups if you haven't already.

That being said, I just use Bitbucket and their Pipelines feature to run stuff when I push to my repos. GitLab and GitHub have their equivalents as well, and they all work about the same as far as I know. I use Bitbucket just because that's what I started with way back when. If I was starting today I'd probably use Gitlab since that's what I'm familiar with using at work. I think each of these providers offers a certain amount of free "build minutes". I pay a small fee for additional build minutes on Bitbucket.

I think bitbucket still offers unlimited free private repositories, so it was a no brainer for me rather than trying to self host something.

Yes, I back stuff up. I have a weekly cron that tar's the "remote" repo and pushes it to B2. On my machine I do the same for my /home. The reason I'd prefer to self host would be so that I don't pay a 3rd party service. I'll still pay the electricity, but that's unavoidable. While I am adverse to messing around too much administering stuff I don't know and care about, being cheap usually wins. I really would not want to know anything about any build system, but a few $ per month in fees provides enough of an incentive. For now at least. Should I prove to be too dumb to figure it out, who knows, I may change my mind.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Yeah I can't imagine why anyone would be hosting these things locally unless it's for practical experience as a system administrator. The cloud services are all free or close to it and are fine for personal projects.

[Edit] like for build systems: use github actions or Azure pipelines. Set up a self hosted agent on a vm. This takes 30 seconds and requires practically no day to day administration or backups. There you go, unlimited build time for free.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Yeah I can't imagine why anyone would be hosting these things locally unless it's for practical experience as a system administrator. The cloud services are all free or close to it and are fine for personal projects.

[Edit] like for build systems: use github actions or Azure pipelines. Set up a self hosted agent on a vm. This takes 30 seconds and requires practically no day to day administration or backups. There you go, unlimited build time for free.

github actions is free then? Even for private projects (which now are free, but weren't some time ago)?

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations, I'll have to pick my poison now. Worst comes to worst, it'll be jenkins, at least stackoverflow is full of pretty much anything when it comes to it.