Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Ah yes, that's what I'm saying when I point out that folks should be allowed to politely not eat if nothing prepared at the meal is something they feel appropriate to eat, and not be mocked for that or told they're rude for not shoving your mysterious gray wonder mush in their faces.

Fine, I'll make you some chicken nuggets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Ah yes, that's what I'm saying when I point out that folks should be allowed to politely not eat if nothing prepared at the meal is something they feel appropriate to eat, and not be mocked for that or told they're rude for not shoving your mysterious gray wonder mush in their faces.

*calls to have a note read by your teacher in front of your class*
"I'm making split pea soup and it's going to be on the table when you get home. I expect it gone by the time I get back from work or I send in the photos of what happened to your pants at summer camp to this class room. -- Love Dad."

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Bitch I'm vegetarian, microwave that trash for yourselves on the popcorn setting or whatever you do, I'm fine eating my greens

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Anyway so yeh I have to politely decline food a lot bc of that and people are NOT OK WITH IT, the 'you must eat in the group' mindset is super strong

If I go to a group outing and don't eat bc I took care of myself beforehand, it's considered an affront to a certain type of folks, meanwhile I'm just like, I'm fine feeding myself its cool, chill the gently caress out.

I have a friend with tons of unfortunate food allergies who literally can't eat group meals anymore because people were straight up vicious to her at first about it, not believing her etc. She's really cool she just has to make all her own stuff and eat alone and meet people for other types of social events bc people are assholes about folks who don't Share The Meal.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
No one should make fun of someone else for not eating.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
BBC goin around the table in a nun habit whacking his guests with a ruler until they eat their dog food

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Who What Now posted:

BBC goin around the table in a nun habit whacking his guests with a ruler until they eat their dog food

I also have a Dredd visor on and remind them that "I AM the Slaw"

I want to be real clear, if some one were to be at any event and not eating and said "I can't because I have allergies/I'm vegan and don't have options/it violates kosher/halal" and someone is like "Pfffft loving bullshit", and especially give them a hard time IN PERSON, THAT is waaay beyond the pale of any kidding or hard times I meant to give in this thread, I just want to be clear there.

It's more of a "Why didn't people specifically cater to me why are THEY so selfish" kind of thing, or the weirdness that just oddly picky eaters can go through that I can find funny or irritating. There are absolutely legit reasons why people cannot find options to join in or have a meal or have sparse options.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 6, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My parents made me eat whatever they cooked. And I wasn't allowed to leave the table until I finished it.

I'm a much better person because of it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I think you might just be a bad cook TBH

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Who What Now posted:

I think you might just be a bad cook TBH

I spent 16 years of my life preparing public school lunches I THINK I know what I'm doing.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
As someone who ate public school lunches lmao and also lol

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

That's not true actually but I wish it was sometimes so I could be the lunch lady man

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
American school lunches infuriate me to no end. We care so little about our children that we serve them garbage that will kill them if they eat that way the rest of their life.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

My public high school was actually pretty good, most of the lunches were passable or better, but they had an all you can eat salad bar with two different soups each day (sometimes clam chowder, which was awesome) with fresh baked bread on it and they'd sell fresh baked chocolate chip cookies the size of your hand between classes, it was nice, and I was lucky.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Outrail posted:

I wonder if there's a correlation between being a picky eater and sexual adventurousness.

People will eat rear end but not a vegetable, smh.

Eating only chicken nuggets and pizza is like only having missionary sex in the dark through a hole cut in a sheet.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Big Beef City posted:

My public high school was actually pretty good, most of the lunches were passable or better, but they had an all you can eat salad bar with two different soups each day (sometimes clam chowder, which was awesome) with fresh baked bread on it and they'd sell fresh baked chocolate chip cookies the size of your hand between classes, it was nice, and I was lucky.

Here's mine.

Although subtract the corn and juice. Those have vitamins. Usually it was just a small cardboard tray with pizza and fries. That's it.

We did have a salad bar but that was more expensive and I didn't have the money for that.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The saddest pizza :(

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

You Are A Elf posted:

The saddest pizza :(

And don't forget its technically a vegetable! :eng99:

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Here's mine.

Although subtract the corn and juice. Those have vitamins. Usually it was just a small cardboard tray with pizza and fries. That's it.

We did have a salad bar but that was more expensive and I didn't have the money for that.

We had almost exactly this, or a hamburger and half-cooked crinkle fries from the convection oven, or the "daily special," which was almost always something like chili mac, or a chicken patty with mashed potatoes and white gravy with overcooked broccoli. Sometimes they fed us turkey and noodles or ham and beans, both of which are actually good but not necessarily following the dietary guidelines put forth by the state and feds.

It was exactly what you would expect to receive for charging $0.80/day for lunch. That was the regular rate. It went to $1.25 in high school.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I knew a lot of kids where school lunch was basically the only time they were guaranteed a meal.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I always here now about kids getting 2 meals a day at school now. Breakfast included. We never had that in any of the schools I went to. It was just a lovely lunch.

Robobot posted:

I knew a lot of kids where school lunch was basically the only time they were guaranteed a meal.

Yeah that really sucks. All the more reason to put more funding into school lunches.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
drat that was like $5 when I was a kid and $7.50 in high school. That included overboiled mixed veggies and a milk.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Robobot posted:

Yes. A lot of times, it was the only meal MOST kids in my school got reliably.

School food was never good but it was at least available to eat. We should fund the gently caress out of food for everyone, but especially kids--hunger greatly impacts brain development and the ability to apply logic, reason and ethics to actions as they learn and grow.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I'm grateful for Finnish school lunches. Sometimes you had to eat something you hated (the aforementioned liver casserole) but for the most part they were good, balanced meals. You got a main dish, some fresh vegetables, bread and milk. There was a monthly menu, so if you hated a particular dish you only had to deal with it once a month, and you had to try different things even if the food at home was all chicken nuggets. Nowadays, as far as I know, there's vegetarian or vegan options available as well every day.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

re: the fresh baked bread on the salad bar, you could pay less and 'just' get the salad bar and soup.
Until one of the football dudes, just this absolutely STACKED guy caught on and would go through, I dunno, 3 bowls of soup but literally 2 LOAVES (like full sized grocery store loaves) of bread EVERY DAY and they couldn't keep up with him and had to knock it off. lol

People used to gather around him just to see how much bread he could possibly eat that day. Like it obviously wasn't good for him or anything but he was clearly burning the calories and it was like watching an eating contest. It was insane to see this dude pocket a foot and a half tall stack of texas toast thick slices of fresh bread. And then go back.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I wish I could find that square school lunch pizza. I remember liking it a lot as a kid, kinda wanna see just how bad it really was.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I stopped eating lunch in middle school, lol. It worked fine in schools where I had free roam campuses, but I had to forge a lot of library passes in schools that had security. It was later explained to me that I got harassed because there was no way to know if the school lunch was the only square I'd be getting that day. :smith:

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Robobot posted:

I wish I could find that square school lunch pizza. I remember liking it a lot as a kid, kinda wanna see just how bad it really was.

I think it's this:

https://www.foodservicedirect.com/conagra-the-max-pepperoni-pizza-4-x-6-inch-4-56-ounce-each-96-per-case-137207.html

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Huh, that's actually more expensive than I thought it would be. Figured they'd be like $0.50 each.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I like how they only list protein and trans fats. No other nutritional information.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

House Rabbit posted:

Chopstick talk:

They’re the best. I have food aversions in the sense that I hate having to touch food. Certain foods, it’s like the smell leeches into your fingers even after washing.

So crackers, cookies, chips, etc, anything that isn’t too cumbersome gets the chopstick treatment. Forks for the big stuff.

I had a roommate who was sharing his finger food and watched in horror as I picked up my pieces with chopsticks and put them in a bowl. He was so offended, just wouldn’t accept my answer of “Nah man, I just don’t like touching food.” He seemed to think I thought his food was “dirty” and took it personally.

i have an extreme chopstick deficiency. I just can't. I've practiced with all sorts of food, I've practiced lifting random objects. Tried the different grips. I bought a reusable set. I just might have tiny sausages for fingers. I don't know what it is. It's very frustrating. I can sometimes get the food to my mouth, but it's a roll of the dice.

Poohs Packin posted:

I said just slice off the woody bits at the end and toss on the grill with some good olive oil and a bit of salt, squeeze lemon if adventurous.

He says "wait, theres WOOD on it? I dont think i can eat like, wood. That sounds gross haha".

Had to explain to an adult man in his 30s that vegetables are plants, etc.

You probably should of just said stalk. But you should roast that, or eat it raw. I mean if you're not scared of veggies. It does get a bit woody, but mostly just edible :)

Robobot posted:

Huh, that's actually more expensive than I thought it would be. Figured they'd be like $0.50 each.

well, figure it took the company like 5 cents to produce probably.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Our school had the best chicken tenders. Still think about them sometimes.

When my sister eats green beans she slices off the stringy part at the top of each bean.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
My highschool had pretty ok food, but had these like 6 inch diameter chocolate chip cookies that were so soft and greasy you could drat near eat them through a straw, and then they put soft serve ice cream on top of them, and 20 years later I still miss them.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Waterbed Wendy posted:

When my sister eats green beans she slices off the stringy part at the top of each bean.

Whoever is cooking the green beans are supposed to take those off.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Nobody should be cooking green beans in the first place.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I remember once, we'd had a stretch of particularly poo poo 'main' lunches in a row, I dunno why, but it had been about two weeks of real garbage as far as we'd been concerned, and we all knew the lunch ladies by name, and they tried to serve me some scoop of whatever and I said "<whatever>, c'mon. I'm not eating that, look at that."

And she said "You're drat right you're not" and sent me through the line without it and still took my ticket.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Whoever is cooking the green beans are supposed to take those off.

This is also correct and I never thought this was in question

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Szyznyk posted:

Nobody should be cooking green beans in the first place.
I like green beans quite a lot now but they literally tasted like vomit to me as a child, and just about my only traumatic food memories (or negative memories of my parents in general) were the times they forced me to eat the green beans on my plate. They finally believed I was not lying about finding them specifically problematic when I agreed to give up my entire dinner and dessert in exchange for not having to eat them either.

I know kids get good at lying, but seriously, do that many of them really commit to hysterical sobbing just to get out of something? Yes I am sure somebody will tell me that all kids do this all the time

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

I like green beans quite a lot now but they literally tasted like vomit to me as a child, and just about my only traumatic food memories (or negative memories of my parents in general) were the times they forced me to eat the green beans on my plate. They finally believed I was not lying about finding them specifically problematic when I agreed to give up my entire dinner and dessert in exchange for not having to eat them either.

I know kids get good at lying, but seriously, do that many of them really commit to hysterical sobbing just to get out of something? Yes I am sure somebody will tell me that all kids do this all the time

They were my one forced to eat food because that wasn’t my mother’s deal but she loved them so I should have too I guess. I still don’t like them but I’ll eat them if they’re mixed into something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Green beans should be steamed or sauted.

If you think of them as 'cooked' you probably are imagining them as 'canned', which no one should endure.

So many people envision 'cooked vegetables' as 'vegetables from a can', which is unfortunate.