Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
What I'm wondering now, what happens if you override a space station core? Which is a thing you can do now. Has anyone tried already? Haven't found the right override code so far to try it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Powershift posted:

causes giant space dicks to grow out of random base parts

feature, not a bug

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

still havent had a chance to play yet but this thread certainly seems to indicate that the new update is rather half-baked. seems like it would have been better if they at least generated new planets to have settlements on them instead of loving up everyone's poo poo again

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Libluini posted:

What I'm wondering now, what happens if you override a space station core? Which is a thing you can do now. Has anyone tried already? Haven't found the right override code so far to try it myself.

Nobody knows because the override item doesn't exist yet, even in a "modify your save game to put it in your inventory" sense

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Earwicker posted:

still havent had a chance to play yet but this thread certainly seems to indicate that the new update is rather half-baked. seems like it would have been better if they at least generated new planets to have settlements on them instead of loving up everyone's poo poo again

It's not half baked. It's barely basic ingredients.

It's also completely loving broken.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I think it's more like a good start that they can build on.

But yeah, sometimes it's super broken.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I've been clock scumming the settlement path, and after building the overseer hut, and settling a dispute, doing one other citizen task, and building the marketplace, nothing crops up.

Every time I fast forward whether it's a day, week, or months, the only thing to do is to kill some sentinels and there's nothing else to do with the settlement.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I've been clock scumming the settlement path, and after building the overseer hut, and settling a dispute, doing one other citizen task, and building the marketplace, nothing crops up.

Every time I fast forward whether it's a day, week, or months, the only thing to do is to kill some sentinels and there's nothing else to do with the settlement.

That's weird, I've had several disputes within the time it's taken to build the first building (a warehouse for me).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

That's weird, I've had several disputes within the time it's taken to build the first building (a warehouse for me).

Is this your first settlement? I moved mine a couple times, I got events ok on my first two, but my current has zero events since making the overseer's office. I wonder if the bug is caused by switching settlements.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It's also possible that some things are triggered by actual playtime and not "clockscummable duration", similar to pirate frigate events

I'm sure people are already working on mods to accellerate things though

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

marktheando posted:

Is this your first settlement? I moved mine a couple times, I got events ok on my first two, but my current has zero events since making the overseer's office. I wonder if the bug is caused by switching settlements.

Yeah, first settlement. I'm hoping for more building opportunities or literally anything to up productivity because right now that village is in SO much debt.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, first settlement. I'm hoping for more building opportunities or literally anything to up productivity because right now that village is in SO much debt.

I’ve been able to build three structures in my settlement. A bazaar, a landing pad, and a tower. My daily costs are 102k and my productivity is over 300k. Still the debt sits at 80k and says it will be cleared in x number of hours but when the clock hits zero it just resets to 24 hours until cleared. At least the debt has stopped going up.

Somebody definitely put a decimal point in the wrong place somewhere.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Every decimal procedural.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

tbh I'm just ignoring the "debt" right now since it doesn't seem to matter for anything and the only thing I've seen about "non debt" is "you can skim the surplus" which is pocket change anyways, so I'm focusing on getting settlement happiness out of the basement wherever possible

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's also possible that some things are triggered by actual playtime and not "clockscummable duration", similar to pirate frigate events

I'm sure people are already working on mods to accellerate things though

Maybe, but several days IRL, 8ish hours in game, with no events is a long time if that is working as intended. I'm pretty certain it's a bug, especially when I got plenty of events before I moved to another settlement.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.nomanssky.com/2021/09/frontiers-patch-3-63/

Frontiers Patch 3.63 posted:

- Fixed an issue that allowed players to place an unlimited number of special parts (such as Exocraft geobays) within close proximity of each other.
- Fixed an issue that caused short-range teleporters to function correctly without power.
- Fixed an issue that could cause some settlements to fail to generate any decisions for their Overseer. Decisions are now expected at intervals of 15 minutes to 2 hours.

So A. drat, B. I feel like they're forgetting what they implemented as QOL years ago and "fixing" that as bugs, but C. I guess that's good at least?

e: I logged out yesterday with a sentinel alert level of ~70% percent and logged back in to a 0% alert level and a blaring alert that the sentinels have been driven off, not sure if patch weirdness or sentinel attacks can happen and resolve entirely without you

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 6, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Damnit, that short range teleporters not needing power bug was extremely useful sometimes.
Do you know what this game needs? Options for vertical traversal that aren't gigantic pains in the rear end.

Gimme some jump pads.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Some new bug I just encountered:

Did you know that if you call your freighter inside an asteroid belt, sometimes an asteroid will get stuck inside your bridge, blocking your way from the inside? :v:

The asteroid getting visibly stuck inside the freighter I just accepted as the usual jank, so I was immensely surprised that after landing and walking up to the bridge, I was suddenly stopped by a massive stonewall blocking the entryway.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Damnit, that short range teleporters not needing power bug was extremely useful sometimes.
Do you know what this game needs? Options for vertical traversal that aren't gigantic pains in the rear end.

Gimme some jump pads.

Allow me to introduce you to 6 S-class Jetpack upgrades. To the moon!

You're still not wrong though.

Libluini posted:

Some new bug I just encountered:

Did you know that if you call your freighter inside an asteroid belt, sometimes an asteroid will get stuck inside your bridge, blocking your way from the inside? :v:

The asteroid getting visibly stuck inside the freighter I just accepted as the usual jank, so I was immensely surprised that after landing and walking up to the bridge, I was suddenly stopped by a massive stonewall blocking the entryway.

The thing about NMS jank is that it is incredibly consistent jank. If it looks jank from a distance, it's exactly the same level of jank up close. It's Jank all the way down.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

AirRaid posted:

Allow me to introduce you to 6 S-class Jetpack upgrades. To the moon!

You're still not wrong though.

The thing about NMS jank is that it is incredibly consistent jank. If it looks jank from a distance, it's exactly the same level of jank up close. It's Jank all the way down.

No Man's Sky Frontiers: It's 16/16/16/16 levels of jank all the way down.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
The latest patch fixed the bug that prevented portable refiners from giving you carbon back when you picked them up (even though it didn't mention it in the patch notes)

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
I started a new game and I haven't been directed to a settlement yet. I tried using a Settlement Chart on a planet I'd like to settle but nothing seems to happen.

EDIT - turns out you have to use them in space, not while on the planet.

Exodor fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 6, 2021

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

DelphiAegis posted:

No Man's Sky Frontiers: It's 16/16/16/16 levels of jank all the way down.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Exodor posted:

I started a new game and I haven't been directed to a settlement yet. I tried using a Settlement Chart on a planet I'd like to settle but nothing seems to happen.

EDIT - turns out you have to use them in space, not while on the planet.

You can 100% use them on foot on a planet. It’s how I found my current Gek town on a paradise world.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

AirRaid posted:

You can 100% use them on foot on a planet. It’s how I found my current Gek town on a paradise world.

If i change town, does it randomise the quality of the settlement?

Because i'm fully ready to leave this frozen hellhole of a B-tier hole in the ground.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ssthalar posted:

If i change town, does it randomise the quality of the settlement?

Because i'm fully ready to leave this frozen hellhole of a B-tier hole in the ground.

it seems like everyone who's mentioned the tier in here so far has only seen "B" tier so it might just be a "work over time to upgrade the rank" kind of deal

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

All of the ones i ever found were C-tier. The two I have actually taken over went up to B fairly quickly, I assume the more time you put in the higher it goes.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Devor posted:

The latest patch fixed the bug that prevented portable refiners from giving you carbon back when you picked them up (even though it didn't mention it in the patch notes)

That's me sorted. :)

I have absolutely no desire to do settlements, i wish to explore.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Settlements disappointed me by having the first one I find being claimed by someone else. Despite me discovering the system and planet just minutes before... I want a nice hospitable planet where I can build a settlement and a base (not in the same location, but close)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The new effects when mining crystals is pretty cool. Remember when all the elements used to just be crystals on the planets?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Rick posted:

The new effects when mining crystals is pretty cool. Remember when all the elements used to just be crystals on the planets?

A million red spiky crystals (plutonium), and any actual mineral deposits were just huge copper dicks coming out of the ground.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Coming back after a long while, I never even got my living ship.
But bugginess abounds at quite a few of my bases where some of the doors which should just be an energy screen, are closed.

Makes me kind of reluctant on starting a town only to come back 6 months later to find the whole thing dead or no longer mine.

Have they fixed the bug where leaving minerals in the machine disappear if you leave system or log out?
It seems they finally fixed my most hated bug where all keys were editable but for some reason exocraft were hardbound to W and D.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I still enjoy this game immensely for the reason I've always enjoyed it– exploring weird proc gen planets and chilling out– but every new update seems to add another interesting sounding idea that quickly reveals itself to be unfulfilling or purposeless after folks start tinkering.

There are so many cool ideas and self-contained toylike systems but few of them intersect in interesting ways. I wish they could figure out some way to connect them or give players a reason to care about them.

They're all tied to resource gathering, so if they could find a way to make THAT enjoyable, maybe the rest of the experience would be elevated? I'm not sure specifically how they'd do this, but I think bringing as many components out of the abstract number world (processing, wait timers, etc.) and into the actual 3D world could be part of the answer. Storm Crystals were in this direction. Anything to make players navigating the geometry of the world while doing things in 3D space matter.

I'm sure anything we can think up they've already thought of though and it's simply a time/resources thing or a reality of the limitations of the engine. I don't envy them.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I'd like a Settlement mission that's basically "drive this truck from your settlement to another settlement" (or trade depot or whatever), it'd give you an excuse to traverse the planet, there could be possible attacks en-route, etc.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'd like a Settlement mission that's basically "drive this truck from your settlement to another settlement" (or trade depot or whatever), it'd give you an excuse to traverse the planet, there could be possible attacks en-route, etc.

No thanks, the exocraft missions where you have to drive to a place with a time limit are boring.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

marktheando posted:

No thanks, the exocraft missions where you have to drive to a place with a time limit are boring.

Oh I don't want a time limit, I want No Man's Sky Truck Simulator. Just a nice relaxing drive, maybe punctuated by attacks by bandits.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I'd like that too. Some kind of Death Stranding shenanigans may be neat. Making roads and bridges and stuff to connect bases or settlements or other points of interest. For this to be worth it they'd probably have to do more to ensure that bases/structures appear consistently for all players.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Then there’s going to be a handful of settlements that have proc genned into little islands on mostly water planets and the nearest outpost is half a world away through deep horror infested water which is also sometimes on fire.

Hard to account for those, really.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
And 99% of players, including me, would just hop in their ship to do the delivery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

MikeRabsitch posted:

And 99% of players, including me, would just hop in their ship to do the delivery.

I think the conceit of Space Truckers is that you'd be forced to use your Exocraft instead of just flying there in 10 seconds.