Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

OhFunny posted:

This guy just wake up after being frozen in 2002?

we finally found out where covid came from, al-qaeda bio-weapons labs disguised as burger kings, guarded by afghani dogs

edit:

blair and this idiocy is what helped kick off millions of deaths across the middle east:

https://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-na-curveball18-2008jun18-story.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
dudes aging poorly since his HBO days

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The last time we invaded it was only possible at all because the Northern Alliance did 95% of all the fighting on the ground. It's too ridiculous to even entertain as a premise.

I think we went over this already, but I don't think the Northern Alliance really is the deciding part that's missing now. The US could still roll over most countries if they get their logistics in place. The last time they had Pakistan and Russia cooperating with them, neither of which is particular keen on doing the US favors at the moment.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zedhe Khoja posted:

dudes aging poorly since his HBO days

What a cheesy wonderful show it was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfxzQjM0GtA

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/TajudenSoroush/status/1434814547412541441?s=19

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao wasn't the Taliban tactic of negotiating / cranking up pressure before going with military options one of the main reason
why they steam rolled the central government in little over a month?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The British thing is to just say the exact opposite of reality but with confidence

This one weird trick actually works well
By the time a majority of people figure it out you're long dead

Blair's title after destroying the middle east and going to work for dictators was Middle Eastern Peace Ambassador for example

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

...and we will go back in with violence to conquer it to teach them a lesson about violence and conquering

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 17 days!)

genericnick posted:

I think we went over this already, but I don't think the Northern Alliance really is the deciding part that's missing now. The US could still roll over most countries if they get their logistics in place. The last time they had Pakistan and Russia cooperating with them, neither of which is particular keen on doing the US favors at the moment.

The point is that it would require an even bigger commitment than we were willing to make post-9/11. I'm not even sure it's possible to build up the 150,000-200,000 soldiers it would take to re-invade Afghanistan under any circumstance. The Soviets could just drive into Afghanistan, but what are we going to do?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
How much of this Taliban is even the same guys as the 2001 variety? After multiple decades and so much of both their original leadership and rank-and-file getting killed how much continuity is there? Is it still the Ship of Theseus? Or did “Taliban” just become a slogan everyone fighting against the occupation rally around?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

galagazombie posted:

How much of this Taliban is even the same guys as the 2001 variety? After multiple decades and so much of both their original leadership and rank-and-file getting killed how much continuity is there? Is it still the Ship of Theseus? Or did “Taliban” just become a slogan everyone fighting against the occupation rally around?

Well the US has been thru 4 presidential administrations so the ghouls are all different but the goals are the same.

Today’s taliban wants what the 2001 taliban wanted, for us to gtfo

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

The Nastier Nate posted:

Well the US has been thru 4 presidential administrations so the ghouls are all different but the goals are the same.

Today’s taliban wants what the 2001 taliban wanted, for us to gtfo

The 2001 Taliban literally offered to surrender in exchange for amnesty and being allowed to return to their homes. Rumsfeld told them the US does not negotiate with friends of terrorists.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

galagazombie posted:

There's alot of oldsters still around, but there's been a large degree of organizational and theological evolution in the generation since their founding. But they're still a cohesive organization, not a slogan.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
Afghanistan war New Game+. Fight the whole war over again! Only this time America starts with zero international support and the Taliban start with max-level equipment including modern artillery and attack helicopters.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

galagazombie posted:

60% of the population is <24 years old (ie. too young to remember life before the 2001 invasion) and the median age is 18; the USA is 30% and 39 by comparison. There will be continuity in key areas but it's very much a new country in general.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
We don't really have a way to reinvade, but we can certainly continue fund and equip IS-K to keep up the chaos

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Often Abbreviated posted:

Afghanistan war New Game+. Fight the whole war over again! Only this time America starts with zero international support and the Taliban start with max-level equipment including modern artillery and attack helicopters.

Ng+ is supposed to be easier

That sounds like Afghanistan hardcore mode

Also you have to win to get access to Ng+

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

The Nastier Nate posted:

Ng+ is supposed to be easier

That sounds like Afghanistan hardcore mode

Also you have to win to get access to Ng+

taliban are the players, obviously

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

John Charity Spring posted:

taliban are the players, obviously

Fair point.

What would the secret ending be?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I just read an article, published yesterday, which referenced the Panjshir valley rebels as being powerful and in control. Mainstream journalism on Afghanistan has been worse than fantasy.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So I saw a new item of Taliban requiring college putting a curtain separating the back half of the classroom, and the male and female students can still can see the black board in the front. I try to find out what the Afghan classroom looked like in the previous 10 years and I couldn't find anything. What I want to know is under the pre-Taliban government, was the male and female students already sit in 2 sides of the classroom or they were mixed seating.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
depended on where you were. In the city it was fairly westernized but usually boys and girls would be on different sides of the class, but without a curtain. but largely girls just straight up didn't go to school out in the countryside, and if they did usually it was segregated in some fashion.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

bedpan posted:

I just read an article, published yesterday, which referenced the Panjshir valley rebels as being powerful and in control. Mainstream journalism on Afghanistan has been worse than fantasy.

its hilarious that cspam has been consistently more accurate and reliable on afghanistan than the bloodthristy media

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

I thought David Bowie was dead.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Moderate Rebels did a deep dive on Ghani, and apparently he was part of Yeltsin's "reforms". Also has an entire rant calling Ghani a nerd.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Moderate Rebels did a deep dive on Ghani, and apparently he was part of Yeltsin's "reforms". Also has an entire rant calling Ghani a nerd.

The west looked at Ghani's history of economic and governmental destruction and thought he was the right man for the job in Afghanistan.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

stephenthinkpad posted:

So I saw a new item of Taliban requiring college putting a curtain separating the back half of the classroom, and the male and female students can still can see the black board in the front. I try to find out what the Afghan classroom looked like in the previous 10 years and I couldn't find anything. What I want to know is under the pre-Taliban government, was the male and female students already sit in 2 sides of the classroom or they were mixed seating.
I saw some earlier news stories about the Taliban banning mixed gender classrooms. This may be the compromise they came up with. It's just a curtain cutting the class room in half. There are hardly any photos of mixed gender classrooms in Afghanistan, and all the photos I can find are overwhelming one gender or have a handful of women in the corner. None of the Taliban demands are more onerous than what you find in an oil rich Arab countries.

I also can't find an actual curriculum in English, but I imagine the Afghans were taught important western ideas. Here is a scene from Adam Curtis' "Bitter Lake". Afghan women in an art class. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZMya4ZVSAs

"This is in some ways often called the first piece of conceptual art."

https://i.imgur.com/xCvWhde.mp4

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
just further cementing every muslims (correct) belief that westerners are flithy poo poo covered pigpens

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
let me teach you about the greatness of western civilization through a history of its art

also let me teach you about how we think it's a piece of poo poo and a joke

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
every single story about afghan university classes about culture gives me the impression that every single professor there had the same "I'm gonna really shock these kids with how wild and crazy and gross western culture is!" mentality
i'm almost glad my fiance got some useless finance degree

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
As someone who learnt about that marcel duchamp toilet piece in the exact same art history class setting, I find that scene incredibly funny.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Panjshir resistance leader calls for ‘national uprising’ in Afghanistan

quote:

The leader of the resistance movement in Afghanistan’s Panjshir Valley called for a “national uprising” against the Taliban.

In an audio message sent to media, National Resistance Front commander Ahmad Massoud said: “Wherever you are, inside or outside, I call on you to begin a national uprising for the dignity, freedom and prosperity of our country.”

This is just embarrassing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

how long until he joins the local isis chapter do you think

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

UK Press, and pretty much the entire UK Foreign Policy establishment, is in such disarray, lmao

That's +1 on Joe 'Republicans' Biden

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Zedhe Khoja posted:

every single story about afghan university classes about culture gives me the impression that every single professor there had the same "I'm gonna really shock these kids with how wild and crazy and gross western culture is!" mentality
i'm almost glad my fiance got some useless finance degree

hmm that doesn't sound good, someone should start an american school of afghanistan to teach them whats up

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Man Musk posted:

UK Press, and pretty much the entire UK Foreign Policy establishment, is in such disarray, lmao

That's +1 on Joe 'Republicans' Biden

The funniest thing was exposing the UK in a client state like relationship like how they had no choice but to follow US lead for leaving.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
know I've posted this guys tweets a lot but lol

https://twitter.com/Natsecjeff/status/1434961851671011330?s=19

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Zohar posted:

There’s John Kerry’s Purple Heart! :v:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 17 days!)

Zohar posted:

This is a real treasure trove for valor thieves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Zohar posted:

do generals just carry around a stack of medals to hand out?