Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Wouldn't the flapping and fluttering of the jacket drive you nuts?.

It's not exactly convenient to have extra material, but no it doesn't drive me nuts. There's a lot of wind riding a naked bike as it is, a rain jacket doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Less distracting than being really cold. Especially when I get to the point that I do get cold, then put it on and suddenly am warm again and still riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

LimaBiker posted:

Slavvy, i think you read the question wrong.
Zombie was asking about 'big bikes' in general, not just 600cc supersports with super peaky power curves. Most big bikes today are not supersports anymore.

Nah, I did mean sport bikes.
I like want a sport bike but putting around at street legal speeds is not something they are specifically designed to do. It would basically mean doing the same thing I do on my current bike, except with less comfort and fuel efficiency and a higher price tag with more difficult handling.
If I got one I'd be taking it on vacations in a uhaul with friends to drag strips or track days. Unique experiences. Was wondering if people are into that, if it's fun, etc. Probably the wrong thread for the question.

I could rip around highways at illegal speeds....for me it's not worth it, for others I am not judging. I am trying to like justify eventually getting one to myself someday when I am not like that.

I could appreciate a larger standard. I actually wanted the Honda CB500X which is VERY similar to the Versys, except does everything at lower RPMs and gets better gas mileage because of that., sounds less busy on the highway. Couldn't find one at the time. Very happy with my Versys X 300 though.

If I ever got a big rear end standard naked bike, like an MT09 or MT10, I'd probably sell my Versys, they fill a similar purpose.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Glad you're okay, CP90210.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Glad you're mostly ok, get some tegaderm for the arms and buy at least a textile jacket.

Tegaderm plus a prescription cream with some sort of silver in it (can't remember the name) worked wonders for my road rash, and if nothing else the tegaderm keeps things from hitting the road rash. My road rash sucked at 30mph, I can't imagine how bad high speed road rash would suck.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

What a shame, it must be so incredibly frustrating to have a new bike wrecked after so short a time. Glad you're okay, though. Gear is amazing.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I like want a sport bike but putting around at street legal speeds is not something they are specifically designed to do. It would basically mean doing the same thing I do on my current bike, except with less comfort and fuel efficiency and a higher price tag with more difficult handling.
If I got one I'd be taking it on vacations in a uhaul with friends to drag strips or track days. Unique experiences. Was wondering if people are into that, if it's fun, etc. Probably the wrong thread for the question.

People definitely take sport bikes to tracks on trucks and trailers, but honestly the first few times you go to the track you should just take your Versys. As long as it's in good running condition, that's all you need. If you find you're into it, then buying a second track bike may make sense, but I'd really resist the allure of a 600 or even 650 and just focus on dialing in an R3 or Ninja 400 and your technique. That's what I'm planning on doing.

This video gets posted a lot and you should watch it if you haven't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz03sQeX02c

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I could rip around highways at illegal speeds....for me it's not worth it, for others I am not judging. I am trying to like justify eventually getting one to myself someday when I am not like that.

I could appreciate a larger standard. I actually wanted the Honda CB500X which is VERY similar to the Versys, except does everything at lower RPMs and gets better gas mileage because of that., sounds less busy on the highway. Couldn't find one at the time. Very happy with my Versys X 300 though.

If I ever got a big rear end standard naked bike, like an MT09 or MT10, I'd probably sell my Versys, they fill a similar purpose.
With the gearing and rider assist features on most modern full-on sport bikes you can just putt around on them if you want no problem, but yeah, not the best experience and it can get old pretty quick. I'm probably not a typical use case, but when I had a full on literbike, I used it for commuting, some very light canyon chasing on weekends, shorter day trips, and just in general tooling around at fairly reasonable speeds. Kinda like having a sports car that just gets babied, in my mind, with an even lower cost of entry.

Turns out I liked the idea of having a superbike more than actually having a superbike though, so I came to my senses later on and realized I could do the same on something much lighter, cheaper, and more confidence building. My compromise was a Ninja 400, faired, much more upright bike with low cost of ownership :cool:

Pretty sure I've got literbikes out of my system but still love that sweet spot of inline 4 supersports, and circumstances permitting, I will totally get another just for doing fun stuff on someday...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RightClickSaveAs posted:

With the gearing and rider assist features on most modern full-on sport bikes you can just putt around on them if you want no problem, but yeah, not the best experience and it can get old pretty quick. I'm probably not a typical use case, but when I had a full on literbike, I used it for commuting, some very light canyon chasing on weekends, shorter day trips, and just in general tooling around at fairly reasonable speeds. Kinda like having a sports car that just gets babied, in my mind, with an even lower cost of entry.

Turns out I liked the idea of having a superbike more than actually having a superbike though, so I came to my senses later on and realized I could do the same on something much lighter, cheaper, and more confidence building. My compromise was a Ninja 400, faired, much more upright bike with low cost of ownership :cool:

Pretty sure I've got literbikes out of my system but still love that sweet spot of inline 4 supersports, and circumstances permitting, I will totally get another just for doing fun stuff on someday...

This was exactly me with a zx10, except I also thrashed it whenever I could get a chance, and yeah it was like it was out of my system and I could get actually fun bikes again.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

Hey Newbie thread, guess who got in an accident?

The story of the accident isn't very exciting. A box van tried to run a red light, realized I was coming at the last second then stopped dead in the middle of the intersection. I swerved and went behind him but I couldn't recover from the abrupt turn fast enough so I dropped my bike and slid around a bit. I was mostly geared up, I opted for a tshirt because it was a real hot day so my arms really got the worst of it. Whoever in the gear thread said "Any gloves as long as they have slides" jfc thank you. The thumb of my glove was completely torn off and slide on the palm was almost smooth but my hands are totally fine, not a mark. I keep looking at the gloves and being like "Fuuuuuck that coulda been bad".

Thankfully my bike is still rideable and I was able to get it home without much trouble so that's good. The damage was mostly to the front end but my can got pretty smashed and that just happens to be one of the most expensive parts on this bike (~$1000) and I have to go the OEM route because of Suzuki's fuel injection system on the TU250X. The other parts needed aren't too bad with the most expensive being the speedo/tach

Anyway, my gramma didn't raise a quitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7pMgjHOXLs

Here's some things I'm thankful for:
-I wasn't going too fast (about 30)
-I dropped the bike in section of road that was completely clear of everything, including parked cars
-I was able to ride my bike home
-I was wearing gear (Thank you gear thread)
-Gloves in particular!
-Boots with ankle support
-A decade of skateboarding that taught me how to ragdoll
-loving gloves- I cannot stress this enough

I keep getting mad at myself for the whole thing because I keep thinking "If I was better that wouldn't have happened" but I've only been riding on the street for 6 weeks so I should probably get over that. I actually waited a really long time to post this because I was embarrassed.

Also, when I was sliding around on the ground my one thought was "Okay, this is taking a while" It's reassuring to know that when death comes for me my reaction will be general apathy.

ninja edit: Would I be able to ride with that gas tank until I get paid again? I tipped it around and nothing comes out so that seems good

Glad you got out mostly ok. I have to disagree on 'mostly geared up', your head and torso are the most vital parts of your body, followed very closely by the hands because we love to use them. Everything below the waits is 'eh' for survival, but don't play with your most precious cargo.

Does the other guy not have to pay for your damages?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I don't feel like the MT09 falls into the "big rear end" bike category, size- or power-wise. It doesn't even come close to the gen2 FZ1 I had, and the big Multistrada will spank it. Neither of those cut the mustard by today's liter bike standards.

The MT09 has great torque and plenty of power for wheelies and hooliganry, but it's a looooong way from a liter bike.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I could appreciate a larger standard. I actually wanted the Honda CB500X which is VERY similar to the Versys, except does everything at lower RPMs and gets better gas mileage because of that., sounds less busy on the highway.

I am absolutely in love with my CB500X - it’s just fantastic! And yes, and though it will happily lope along at 4000 Rpm and sip gas while doing so, I’ve started using the whole rev range (Inspired by recent Newbie Chat) And woah!!! So much fun! Luckily it has an entirely linear throttle, or so best I can perceive (And I’ve gone from 3.3 L/100Km to 3.8 :argh:)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Nofeed posted:

I am absolutely in love with my CB500X - it’s just fantastic! And yes, and though it will happily lope along at 4000 Rpm and sip gas while doing so, I’ve started using the whole rev range (Inspired by recent Newbie Chat) And woah!!! So much fun! Luckily it has an entirely linear throttle, or so best I can perceive (And I’ve gone from 3.3 L/100Km to 3.8 :argh:)

CB500X ftw. AFAIK there is a fair torque bump in the upper rev range, but it just works wherever you are so who cares.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
That bike is very much on my short list of "next bike". It looks sweet.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Invalido posted:

That bike is very much on my short list of "next bike". It looks sweet.

So I was just gonna post this pretty picture I took next to the castle I was close to when I read your post.

But while I was looking for an image host, I apparently "caused" an accident. At least according to the lady that hit a rock in the green just out of frame to the left.
Basically she came up and indicated, I figured I'll move my bike so she doesn't have to be afraid while taking the turn, and when I had barely moved the bike she started going around the bend, suddenly accelerating fully and slamed her right wheel into the rock.

Of course, this is somehow my fault for having been there to take the picture and then not moving fast enough out of the way...
She was fully stopped before she took a detour into the rock.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Turns out someone wanted my MT-03 more than I did. Get comprehensive coverage y'all, even if you're using a chain, cover, and disc locks.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Russian Bear posted:

Glad you're mostly ok, get some tegaderm for the arms and buy at least a textile jacket.

That's the thing, I already own a riding jacket. My dumb rear end thought it wouldn't be a big deal because I was just going around the neighborhood.

Slavvy posted:

That is amazingly beaten up for such an innocuous crash holy cow.

Thank you, I was thinking the same thing! I've only ditched dirt bike but they never looked this rough after a crash

SEKCobra posted:

Does the other guy not have to pay for your damages?

Look into your heart, you already know the answer (he took off before I stopped sliding)

Slavvy posted:

Wear a jacket next time, glad you're alive.

Thanks for the support everybody. I'll wear a jacket next time, I promise

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Slavvy posted:

This was exactly me with a zx10, except I also thrashed it whenever I could get a chance, and yeah it was like it was out of my system and I could get actually fun bikes again.
That's what I had, the ZX10 is a fantastic bike that I don't want the hassle of owning again. Disappointed I never got the chance to top it out, but that's another problem with it, top speed is something absolutely ridiculous even just stock and I couldn't find a place I felt comfortable enough to test it out without high chance of losing my license.

Spiggy posted:

Turns out someone wanted my MT-03 more than I did. Get comprehensive coverage y'all, even if you're using a chain, cover, and disc locks.
drat that sucks. Yeah I've always carried comprehensive on everything, given theft is the most likely thing to happen to mine. Was the chain cut?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Yeah they took the mesh covered part of the chain but left the part that went into the lock.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Ouch. I've got this one now which is a 10mm chain but I'm under no illusions someone determined couldn't cut through it pretty easily: https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/stockton-736-alarmed-security-chain-and-lock

I've heard this is a good one to go for but it's almost $200 and weighs a ton so would suck to have to haul around: https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/kryptonite-new-york-fahgettaboudit-chain-disc-lock

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

CB500X ftw. AFAIK there is a fair torque bump in the upper rev range, but it just works wherever you are so who cares.

There is definitely a bit closer to the top where it feels like the warp drive is kicking in, but it’s still quite gentle and predictable. What a great bike.

Also I love the colourways you get in EU. We only get the gunmetal in NA, which would be my last choice if I had one. I blame this one on the Yanks.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Nofeed posted:

There is definitely a bit closer to the top where it feels like the warp drive is kicking in, but it’s still quite gentle and predictable. What a great bike.

Also I love the colourways you get in EU. We only get the gunmetal in NA, which would be my last choice if I had one. I blame this one on the Yanks.

You don't get the white one at all? I really liked last years colors far more and am really glad I got my yellow white while it was still available. But I figured you'd still get the red white one?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RightClickSaveAs posted:

That's what I had, the ZX10 is a fantastic bike that I don't want the hassle of owning again. Disappointed I never got the chance to top it out, but that's another problem with it, top speed is something absolutely ridiculous even just stock and I couldn't find a place I felt comfortable enough to test it out without high chance of losing my license.

I ran mine out once. It was a mostly stock first gen and hilariously the 'speed limiter' consisted of the first speedo digit being unable to display a 3. So you hit 299 indicated while the revs continued to climb...

It also had no steering damper, which everyone remarked on and I thought was no big deal until I came out of a roundabout a bit too aggressively and I got half a dozen slams lock to lock in the span of a second.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

SEKCobra posted:

You don't get the white one at all? I really liked last years colors far more and am really glad I got my yellow white while it was still available. But I figured you'd still get the red white one?

Yeah, just the metallic black/red. Not even the Honda Red(Tm) one!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Oh hey apparently the announced a 2022 model without me noticing. Upside down forks and a few styling revisions (as well as a military green version) and they've "finally" added dual front brakes. Did not see that coming.

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

This might be a really dumb question, but what does everyone do for ownership / insurance papers? Do you keep them in your wallet, stashed on the bike somewhere or in a jacket pocket?

I'm looking to just keep them somewhere and forget them, but I don't really want to keep them under the seat just in case, but that might be a dumb fear.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

local laws and all that jazz, but I have proof of insurance on my phone. I should probably keep the registration in a waterproof bag under the seat but I haven't put the new one in.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I wear the same jacket 90% of the time so I just leave them folded up inside the inner jacket pocket.

I also have proof of insurance and registration on my phone, just saved as PDFs. And if by some chance I get in a situation where I am wearing a different jacket, forgot to swap the papers, get pulled over, and my phone exploded...the fix-it ticket in California is only about 25 dollars. (More if you actually were driving without insurance or expired tags, of course). Check your local laws.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 7, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ownership and insurance both stowed under the seat on the Ninja. Not sure what I'll do with the DRZ. Maybe I'll throw them in a ziplock and velcro it into the airbox which is the easiest access panel on the whole bike.

I used to carry them in my wallet but I decided to just reclaim that extra 1-2mm of space the folded paper was taking up. No reason for me to have the paperwork if I'm not on the bike, and if I'm on the bike then no harm in just keeping it stowed under a panel rather than my wallet.

PDF on my phone as a backup is a great idea and one I'll be adopting tomorrow. It's not legally accepted as a license and probably questionable in case I get pulled over for ownership/insurance, but I mean it has to be better than *nothing*. But goal isn't to replace my paperwork, just to have a copy in case the bike goes up in flame while I'm being pulled over or something.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 7, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I keep reg and insurance under the seat and a second insurance card in my wallet.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

In the USA requirements vary by state; WA allows digital copies of both so they're on my phone and Google drive, and the originals are safe at home.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I made myself a little leather wallet sized just right to hold my insurance card and folded up registration plus a little bit of cash. It lives in my inner jacket pocket.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

In other news, my Philip's road atlas has bestowed upon Glasgow a whole new bridge that doesn't actually exist. How rare.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I keep paper copies in my jacket (registration and insurance) and a digital copy of the insurance on my phone. Police allows copies, or worst case you'll have to go show the originals at the local police station of your area.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
In my dystopian orwellian country registration and insurance info is easily accessible in a database so you only need to carry your driver's licence :shrug:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Oh hey apparently the announced a 2022 model without me noticing. Upside down forks and a few styling revisions (as well as a military green version) and they've "finally" added dual front brakes. Did not see that coming.

Also bigger front wheel.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Russian Bear posted:

Also bigger front wheel.

Are you sure? I am failry certain I have the same 19" version.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Are you sure? I am failry certain I have the same 19" version.

Oh oops I'm mistaken. The wheel is still 19 but is now lighter.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GuestBob posted:

In other news, my Philip's road atlas has bestowed upon Glasgow a whole new bridge that doesn't actually exist. How rare.

Perhaps it is a trap street

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

khao san road?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I realized I was doing something dumb.
If I am turning right I am subconsciously getting over to the right side of the lane. Same with turning left.

I am completing my turns and not ending up where I shouldn't be, but turning right seemed harder than left.

The whole cornering lines thing makes a little more sense now, I'm doing the opposite of what I should be.

I was doing that to give traffic room to pass me while I am turning, as everyone passes illegally in a car or bike when someone is turning. Most people when turning right will get into the shoulder of the road to let traffic pass in a lane, or when people are turning left people use the shoulder as a lane. Cars included.

It doesn't work as well on a bike.

I am vaguely concerned about cars passing on my right if I take proper lines and clipping me if I prepare to turn right by being in the left lane position.

And this whole driving a bike like I do a car - people do illegally go into my lane and pass me on the left when I am turning. I didn't really think anything of it because I was getting over to the right as I would in a car and that is completely normal here for cars.

In California I think they call it lane splitting. It's not legal here but people lane split with two cars in a lane when people turn. So I have been selecting where to turn from based on letting other cars share my lane to be polite and to be out of harms way. I don't know if I should keep doing that.

:downs:

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 7, 2021