Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Schnorkles posted:

doctor i started making GBS threads blood after i took ivermectin

maybe don't do that

this is the libs fault, i must keep taking ivermectin

if you were making GBS threads blood after taking ivermectin imagine how bad it could have been if you hadn't taken ivermectin, sounds like that was a close call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Really bummed thinking about how actually addressing climate change is an exponentially harder problem than eliminating SARs-COV-2 globally. We're really not going to do either.

Both problems are beyond the capacity of current human society to solve. We're left hoping for some technological or scientific breakthrough to save us from ourselves we already got it for COVID, it was the vaccines developed in under a year that we promptly squandered.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
if its killing more antivaxxers than it is anyone else, covid is a net good in the US, and it rly seems to be doing that

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

razorscooter posted:

looking around the world wide web for some good eats

https://twitter.com/torriangray/status/1434246540063694848

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Is it true that Fauci said it was legal for me to say 'gently caress' in front of my mom?

I mean I'm excited, but I didn't realize Biden gave him that much power.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

poll plane variant posted:

if its killing more antivaxxers than it is anyone else, covid is a net good in the US, and it rly seems to be doing that

wtf this variant is back? i thought it got beat out by delta

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

wtf this variant is back? i thought it got beat out by delta

i got banned from twitter

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nocturtle posted:

Really bummed thinking about how actually addressing climate change is an exponentially harder problem than eliminating SARs-COV-2 globally. We're really not going to do either.

Both problems are beyond the capacity of current human society to solve. We're left hoping for some technological or scientific breakthrough to save us from ourselves we already got it for COVID, it was the vaccines developed in under a year that we promptly squandered.

there are a great many books that have been written on the topic. I suggest looking into Timothy Morton's "Hyperobjects" and also Amitrav Ghosh's book that I cannot remember the name of.

edit: "The Great Derangement"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/sites/contact-tracing/home/contact-tracers.html
i never looked at Chicago's contact tracing program before

Lol that the whole contact tracing program here is meant to subsidize the non-profit industrial complex that plagues this city.

people think of Chicago as a "machine city," but that's been dead for awhile. Politics in the white neighborhoods have polarized into mostly Team Blue areas with a handful of MAGA cop hoods. Political influence and suppression of dissent in non-white neighborhoods is managed through a whole ecosystem of nonprofits and NGOs.

They have profiles of the Chicago employed contact tracers as well. Lisa is a bit too intense though.

The city is doing great with data btw. the latest data on their site is from July 2
https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/sites/covid-19/home/covid-data-reports.html

According to the state of Illinois, Chicago attempts to interview 43% of cases, and succeeds in interviewing 20% of cases
https://www.dph.illinois.gov/covid19/contact-tracing-data?DV=2

Nice find. This poo poo is why last October the city admitted they were no where close to hiring the contact tracers that were supposed to be hired in March. I always figured it was a turf battle over who got to hand out the patronage, but patronage would have actually been efficient compared to this

Before you just had the machine give the jobs to friends, family, and family of friends. Now it's you give the job program to friends to justify their NGO salaries who then try to figure out who to hire when they have no clue what they're doing

But part of being an NGO is about being super connected through the web of spouses of important people, so the media and politicians will never rail against the do nothing 501c3s or whatever they are

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 7, 2021

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Nocturtle posted:

our lot is to be witness to and bear record of distilled stupidity.

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Delta-Wye posted:

plague panda lives for the weekend, sir

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/getvaxxedstat/status/1435035548469501953

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Behold the novel high-tech solution that would have prevented Australia's current uncontrolled COVID outbreak, famously caused by a limo driver getting infected after transporting international arrivals to their hotel quarantine:

Do they have a zoo in Sydney?

BTW if anyone reading this thread is affiliated with New Zealand's quarantine program please know that I'm available for consultations at reasonable rates.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Bone Crimes posted:

Wave of intubation

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Oof.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Nocturtle posted:

Behold the novel high-tech solution that would have prevented Australia's current uncontrolled COVID outbreak, famously caused by a limo driver getting infected after transporting international arrivals to their hotel quarantine:

Do they have a zoo in Sydney?

BTW if anyone reading this thread is affiliated with New Zealand's quarantine program please know that I'm available for consultations at reasonable rates.

lol
we do have a zoo, Taronga Zoo, but it’s way too hilly for a bus like that to work. You walk around it or can get a sky car between the ferry entrance and the main entrance

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

these are all some op to get us sympathetic with the horse paste morons but lol if true

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

drat

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

these are all some op to get us sympathetic with the horse paste morons but lol if true

I dunno. It's not super sympathetic that the guy continued taking the ivermectin until he both went blind until his liver gave out. I have no sympathy for anyone who can't cut their losses.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

we’re on the zoomobile headed to covid town

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1435045221335719937

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Finally, it's over

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

BROTHER WHERE IS YOUR EYE PROTECTION

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

open biden

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

holy poo poo, measles is an rear end in a top hat virus that steals your titers

https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/status/1435038508725506050

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

two more breakthrough infections in the fam, now a total of 13!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/skmorefield/status/1435048642684067844?s=21

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Nocturtle posted:

COVID could be eliminated if the entire globe coordinated to restrict international travel and locked down hard for a couple of months while vaccinating everyone.

Catastrophic climate change could be averted if the entire globe coordinated to decarbonize and significantly decreased consumption for a couple of decades while implementing Gt-scale negative emission systems by mid-century.

Yeah COVID has fully clarified the fact that we will never do anything about Climate Change. Nobody paying attention can possibly believe there will be a point where it's too much, where climate change has done so much that we can't possibly ignore it and do something about it. The cause-effect of COVID is so loving obvious, the elite as a collective are not operating under the delusion that people are just dying because of reasons unrelated to the pandemic. They know why people are dying. They just don't give a gently caress. No amount of fires or hurricanes or record temperatures or rising waters or regions rendered unlivable will ever cause a climate change response because it's not about wanting to deny or not believing the link: it's about not caring one loving bit.

And there's not going to be any kind of new deal either. Capital is fully on board with just doubling down forever. There are no intelligent capitalists willing to negotiate with labor to secure their future. It's done. The elites have cemented their position and they will die in it, one way or another, no matter the cost to the rest of us or the world.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

That looks like Howard Springs up in the NT
they’ve had no breaches there because it’s all cabins that open up to the outside and they have strict protocols
all the govt run repatriation flights quarantine there

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Helith posted:

That looks like Howard Springs up in the NT
they’ve had no breaches there because it’s all cabins that open up to the outside and they have strict protocols
all the govt run repatriation flights quarantine there

looks like you guys wont be needing them anymore!

(sorry)

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

also welcome to the party pal

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Soylent Majority posted:

I dig scrotumcats, what rescue did you work with? wanna get one eventually but I only get cats used so it’ll have to be a rescue sitch

Alberta Sphynx and Lykoi rescue.

They are good peoples

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i looked it up and open biden was just a hair over six months ago, seems impossible its only been that long

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Strep Vote posted:

Please don't deworm your children

I'm caught in a time warp.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shackleford posted:

holy poo poo, measles is an rear end in a top hat virus that steals your titers

https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/status/1435038508725506050

quote:

Immunosuppression after measles is known to predispose people to opportunistic infections for a period of several weeks to months. Using population-level data, we show that measles has a more prolonged effect on host resistance, extending over 2 to 3 years. We find that nonmeasles infectious disease mortality in high-income countries is tightly coupled to measles incidence at this lag, in both the pre- and post-vaccine eras. We conclude that long-term immunologic sequelae of measles drive interannual fluctuations in nonmeasles deaths. This is consistent with recent experimental work that attributes the immunosuppressive effects of measles to depletion of B and T lymphocytes. Our data provide an explanation for the long-term benefits of measles vaccination in preventing all-cause infectious disease. By preventing measles-associated immune memory loss, vaccination protects polymicrobial herd immunity.

So it's not only kids who didn't get the MMR vaccination that are susceptible to COVID and other infections, it's also kids who contracted Measles in the last 2-3 years and have damaged immune systems

I wonder what the mortality rate is in Measles survivors who also contracted COVID?

If having high Mumps/Measles/Rubella titers means they keep your B and T memory cells strong, that would explain COVID patients with low Mumps titers having worse outcomes

McNugget Buddy fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 7, 2021

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
All right, this winter I will do my Chinese every day, and I will see how low I can get my body fat percentage. And I will declutter and populate the house with plants. And work on getting that greywater system installed. And find some new recipes. And hope my kid doesn't bring covid home from school.

Anyone seen Osprey lately?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Victoria and NSW Reff today

https://twitter.com/profesterman/status/1435035045559877633?s=21

https://twitter.com/profesterman/status/1435051099216482308?s=21

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

wait, they're letting them live in these "camps" for free? These are waaaay better than most apartments in the US. Is the food and internet free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mCjBspxuUmU