Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
He pretty much has to. His job mostly requires it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

he goes around in pity for himself, but only sometimes

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jimmy Smash!!

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

Mike N Eich posted:

There's a beautiful moment in the first season, in episode 1.10 'A Hit is a Hit', where Tony tells Melfi a story about a kid who used to hang around his crew, and he had a cleft palate and a speech impediment and they would keep him around so they could make fun of him. He has a pure moment of empathy where he understands this kid's pain, because Dr. Cusamano was bringing him around so he and his friends could ask him questions about the mafia and ogle him as a curiosity. And then as he wraps up this story, and he understands the pain this kid (now man) felt, he cracks another joke about him.

That's the story of Tony Soprano - it's not that he's incapable of empathy. He's very much capable of feeling the pain of others, of feeling guilt for his actions, of moral conflict with his lifestyle and his idea of being a good man, father and husband. But he can very easily shove it aside, compartmentalize it, and move on in an instant.

Yeah, and I'm glad to see David Chase seems to want to explore that with his movie. I'm specifically talking about Dicky teaching Tony how to rationalize criminal behavior as "the last time".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edit: Tweet deleted, I guess.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 1, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I hope Jimmy Smash is in the movie-film

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Chase has said there are a few moments of fan service like that but I really hope it isn't overboard, that kind of poo poo kills prequels

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Young Little Carmine: "Daddy, one day I wanna have a Trump Le Oil picture in my restaurant!"

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It would be great if they pulled a Back To The Future and had Jr. played by Dominic Chianese

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Junior frowns watching young Anthony play football

"that boy doesn't have the makings of a varsity at-leet"

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://www.joblo.com/the-sopranos-david-chase/

quote:

One thing I wanted to do was a crooked police station show set in Hoboken, New Jersey. Jim [James Gandolfini] was going to be this crooked lieutenant. The guys who played Paulie, Chris – all of them were going to be different characters, but the same types of people in the show on the other side of the law.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

cop!tony would beat the poo poo out of carmela statistically speaking

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Tony Sirico as a cop would be unbelievable to watch

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Mike N Eich posted:

He’s a cop at the end of Dead Presidents.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

It's not the strangest casting i've ever seen (none of trapped in the closet has aged well, r kelly most of all, so don't click if you'd rather not deal with any of that, but this particular part lives rent-free in my head)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

Travel to the southside and you can see it in person. I got a gun pulled on me by a fat Italian cop a few years ago around Christmas time. I miss Chicago.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Just digitally age Michael Gandolfini and put him in a fat suit. Why not

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Honestly, I'd totally watch "The Shield, but It's Actually The Sopranos Instead"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I got a gun pulled on me by a fat Italian cop a few years ago around Christmas time.

This is all we get for this story? What happened?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

BiggerBoat posted:

This is all we get for this story? What happened?

I pulled off the highway looking for a gas station at night in Chicago once and had a shotgun pointed at me by a cop, so I don't think the story needs more than that.

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water
I for one would like to hear more to both stories, details are the difference between the Sopranos, and, ahh gently caress, just off the top of my head, something like Analyze This.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Nobody Knows Anything

I dunno. Story just came off so casual and one-off I thought it was kind of funny.

"Yeah, this one time an 8 foot shark swam passed me and tried to bite me. But let me tell you about the dinner I ate later..."

"I stepped on a rattlesnake once and it bit into the shovel I was carrying. So about this car I've been considering buying..."

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

its 430am and i cant get enough of this poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI8JIzbtNLQ
what happened to my life

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

banned from Starbucks posted:

its 430am and i cant get enough of this poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI8JIzbtNLQ
what happened to my life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Ds8umjwcQ

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

lol this person's channel is full of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za31C0cy_qc

e: ok last one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFxWx3TUt6Y

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 4, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
da amazin thing about Argonians is that they reproduce spontaneously.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That last one is fantastic for its simplicity.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting
These came up on my feed too, and I love them

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/mazmhussain/status/1434168103659782150?s=21

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I was thinking about watching the Rockford Files. Is there any good viewing strategy or should I just start with episode 1? It looks like Chase doesn't come into the show until season 3.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bip Roberts posted:

I was thinking about watching the Rockford Files. Is there any good viewing strategy or should I just start with episode 1? It looks like Chase doesn't come into the show until season 3.

I don't know. I've never seen it. It's episodic TV so I guess start wherever you want. The show was always nominated for Emmy's and stuff so it's probably solid the whole way through.

Another David Chase show to check out is Kolchak the Night Stalker. David Chase worked on pretty much the whole show and it was a huge influence on the X-Files. It's one season and some TV movies.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Bip Roberts posted:

Just go for it. It's a lot of fun.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm watching the pilot and I'm all ready all about the 1970's LA shots.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting
Michael K. Williams, who appeared in season 3, is dead. I'm gutted.

Edit: great scene
https://youtu.be/cQjtvBpUSF4

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 7, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know. I've never seen it. It's episodic TV so I guess start wherever you want. The show was always nominated for Emmy's and stuff so it's probably solid the whole way through.

Another David Chase show to check out is Kolchak the Night Stalker. David Chase worked on pretty much the whole show and it was a huge influence on the X-Files. It's one season and some TV movies.

I've been watching Kolchak recently and its excellent. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw David Chase appear in the credits.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Whale Vomit posted:

Michael K. Williams, who appeared in season 3, is dead. I'm gutted.

Edit: great scene
https://youtu.be/cQjtvBpUSF4

Boonton is full of million dollar homes.

David Chase decided to invent the ‘Boonton Projects’ as a gently caress you to the town after he got some flack from the town about some scenes he shot.

It’s also literally less the 30 mins from the Soprano house. As a hideout spot it really was not a good one.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/DanSWright/status/1435286406465822723

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

My parents have been huge Bruce fans for 40 years and they could never take Silvio seriously because they know Little Steven is completely bald up top. The hair was too much for them.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I always assumed it was a diegetic wig, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holy poo poo :lol: