Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Gripweed posted:

Thanks but I'm looking for like a newspaper

I've yet to find any English-language newspaper source I'd really trust more than certain Twitter sources. The major US newspapers are lip-locked to the Washington party line, and the UK aren't any real use.

During the coup against Morales and in the Peru elections there were some pretty decent sources on Twitter that seemed to be pretty even handed and more importantly informative in depth.

Like the US media still pretends Guaido is of any relevance whatsoever.

I like https://kawsachunnews.com/ personally.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I did find a local newspaper that claims to do an English edition, but their website seems slightly broken

http://www.correodelorinoco.gob.ve/english-edition/

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I realize it's going to come off as rude, not that that's my intent, but it's not a bad idea to learn Spanish and look for local sources. Aside from all the benefits of learning a language, Spanish is really not that difficult since it has a lot of written down and clear rules. Sure it's got exceptions, but it's not the worst language on that front. Phonetically it's dead simple. Especially if your aim is to just read sources, and not necessarily speak it, you can probably get yourself to an adequate level in less than a year of steady practice.

If you have a background in latin or any other romance language, you'll notice cognates left and right that'll help you out from the get-go.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
French is actually not that helpful in my experience

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Rust Martialis posted:

It's probably the hardest to relate back to it, but there's definitely cognates especially in Old French (I realize how different that can be from Modern French). When I read the Song of Roland, I was pretty surprised how much of the old text I could parse. I still read it in modern French obviously.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Rust Martialis posted:

It's funny because genealogically, French is supposed to be closer to Spanish than Italian, but Spanish speakers have an easier time understanding Italian than French. Spanish and Italian share more vocabulary as well (although Spanish and French still share way more vocabulary than Spanish and English).

In a way French is the English of Romance languages because it's been so radically influenced by Germanic languages (whereas English is a Germanic language influenced so much by Old French and Nordic).

For example in this video I can understand the Portuguese speaker pretty well, the Italian speaker some of the time, and even with transcription I'm just lost listening to the French speaker.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 29, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I tried to learn Spanish and it sucked.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I did find a local newspaper that claims to do an English edition, but their website seems slightly broken

http://www.correodelorinoco.gob.ve/english-edition/

Yeah, that would be an official paper of the Venezuelan government. Hence the .gob in the URL and it being founded by "Comandante Hugo Rafael Chávez Frías".

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

beer_war posted:

Yeah, that would be an official paper of the Venezuelan government. Hence the .gob in the URL and it being founded by "Comandante Hugo Rafael Chávez Frías".

So it would be the best source for Venezuelan news. drat, I really wish the English version wasn't broken

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gripweed posted:

So it would be the best source for Venezuelan news.

Oh nooooooo

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Gripweed posted:

So it would be the best source for Venezuelan news. drat, I really wish the English version wasn't broken
Do you have the "translate to english" option available on Chrome? That oughta help big time.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I don't know about trusting the Venezuelan government with news, but in the process of researching Correo del Orinoco I found the journalist Eva Golinger who the Wiki article claims to "be an outspoken supporter of Chavez". She has a number of publications she's contributed to, including Venezuelanalysis. Might be worth looking into.

E: also, are you sure you don't want to learn Spanish? I think I know just what you're looking for.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 30, 2021

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Oh dear.

Correo del Orinoco is "best" in the same way KCTV is the best news source for North Korea. If you want to read how the glorious comandante vanquished the imperialist swine, you'll love Telesur. Venezuelanalysis is a pretty safe bet if you'd prefer the occasional bit of ever so slight criticism interspersed with your unending praise.

no hay camino posted:

I don't know about trusting the Venezuelan government with news, but in the process of researching Correo del Orinoco I found the journalist Eva Golinger who the Wiki article claims to "be an outspoken supporter of Chavez". She has a number of publications she's contributed to, including Venezuelanalysis. Might be worth looking into.

E: also, are you sure you don't want to learn Spanish? I think I know just what you're looking for.

Careful, comrade. Eva is an "agent of imperialism" now and she has been for a while. Wouldn't want FAES to pay you a visit.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

no hay camino posted:

Wait what, provide examples of said writings please.

sorry i didn't see this till now. she wrote the book "Surviving Autocracy" and has said these things:

quote:

I have borrowed the term “autocratic attempt” from the work of Bálint Magyar, a Hungarian sociologist who set out to develop analytical tools for understanding the turn away from democracy in many Eastern and Central European countries. I have found Magyar’s ideas surprisingly illuminating when applied to the United States.

Magyar divides the autocrat’s journey into three stages: autocratic attempt, autocratic breakthrough, and autocratic consolidation. The attempt is a period when autocracy is still preventable, or reversible, by electoral means. When it is no longer possible to reverse autocracy peacefully, the autocratic breakthrough has occurred, because the very structures of government have been transformed and can no longer protect themselves. These changes usually include packing the constitutional court (the Supreme Court, in the case of the U.S.) with judges loyal to the autocrat; packing and weakening the courts in general; appointing a chief prosecutor (the Attorney General) who is loyal to the autocrat and will enforce the law selectively on his behalf; changing the rules on the appointment of civil servants; weakening local governments; unilaterally changing electoral rules (to accommodate gerrymandering, for instance); and changing the Constitution to expand the powers of the executive.

she crafted the book (and adapted the beliefs about autocratic attempts from Magyar) on three general planks of how to fight back against autocratic backslide:

- believe the autocrat

- do not be taken in by small signs of normality

and

- institutions will not save you

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

beer_war posted:

Oh dear.

Correo del Orinoco is "best" in the same way KCTV is the best news source for North Korea. If you want to read how the glorious comandante vanquished the imperialist swine, you'll love Telesur. Venezuelanalysis is a pretty safe bet if you'd prefer the occasional bit of ever so slight criticism interspersed with your unending praise.

Careful, comrade. Eva is an "agent of imperialism" now and she has been for a while. Wouldn't want FAES to pay you a visit.

I don't care about any of that stuff. I want news from Venezuela. Like, they're building a new bridge, or there was a film festival, or five killed in gruesome family annihilator murder/suicide. I don't really want articles arguing one way or another over whether or not Venezuela is evil.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Gripweed posted:

I don't care about any of that stuff. I want news from Venezuela. Like, they're building a new bridge, or there was a film festival, or five killed in gruesome family annihilator murder/suicide. I don't really want articles arguing one way or another over whether or not Venezuela is evil.

Reuters' Venezuela feed sounds to be about what you're looking for.

https://twitter.com/ReutersVzla/

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 30, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Reuters' Venezuela feed sounds to be about what you're looking for.

https://twitter.com/ReutersVzla/

That's still all government stuff, I was hoping for like, regular news from Venezuela. And I've reached my article limit so it's useless to me until my articles recharge unless I want to pay to unlock more articles and I hate pay to win features like that.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I don’t think you’re going to find the Venezuela version of like, the nightly news, but in English

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Gripweed posted:

That's still all government stuff, I was hoping for like, regular news from Venezuela. And I've reached my article limit so it's useless to me until my articles recharge unless I want to pay to unlock more articles and I hate pay to win features like that.

¿Alguna vez has pensado en vivir en Venezuela?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I missed it the first time but labeling a news paywall as “pay to win” is very funny to me

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

I missed it the first time but labeling a news paywall as “pay to win” is very funny to me

news gacha, trying to pull the 5-star article about the rising prices of bread

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/05/fears-of-violence-on-brazils-streets-as-millions-rally-to-back-bolsonaro

Starting to worry Brazil will become a dictatorship.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

There won't be a coup, but there will likely be political violence between rival marches in some capitals (as well as anti-government protesters and the police). Country will continue its decay.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

You can only elect clear authoritarians who clearly want to be dictators for so long before one of them just tries it when facing an election loss because hey, clearly there are enough fuckwads in the country for it to possibly work.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
There will be more anti Bolsonaro people in the streets and only scattered individual conflicts. News will still report it like a civil war and say both sides are wrong. PMs are gonna beat up randos to "ensure safety", but only counter protesters; they'll just be the security crew for Bolsonaro supporters mostly because otherwise they're too cowardly to do poo poo.

"Millions rally", lol, his support is fading and by now we know it's mostly bots sharing those calls to action on Whatsapp and Twitter

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/ProgIntl/status/1434816435860164608

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dias posted:

There will be more anti Bolsonaro people in the streets and only scattered individual conflicts. News will still report it like a civil war and say both sides are wrong. PMs are gonna beat up randos to "ensure safety", but only counter protesters; they'll just be the security crew for Bolsonaro supporters mostly because otherwise they're too cowardly to do poo poo.

"Millions rally", lol, his support is fading and by now we know it's mostly bots sharing those calls to action on Whatsapp and Twitter
We shall see what happens, won't we?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Speaking of Brazil, what do you all think of Glenn Greenwald? I heard that he and his husband are very corrupt and make a living taking advantage of dirty government money or something.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Grouchio posted:

We shall see what happens, won't we?

Nothing is gonna happen. I live in the stupid country and in the past 3 years I've seen a lot of NOW THE REAL THREAT TO DEMOCRACY HAS RISEN and it's always posturing. It's not that our democracy isn't threatened, it's just that it's a slow, eroding process partially fed by these "civil war any day now" narratives.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Speaking of Brazil, what do you all think of Glenn Greenwald? I heard that he and his husband are very corrupt and make a living taking advantage of dirty government money or something.

Nah, he's anti-Bolsonaro, he's gonna get government money from who? Dude had an important part in exposing the fraudulence of Lava-Jato and its leadership (Moro, Dallagnol), but he's also kind of an rear end in a top hat more worried about clout than anything else. Then again, that's almost every journalist - they should offer free therapy in college for those majoring in that field, really.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is dumb right-wing propaganda

Glenn has been saying a lot of crap about USA politics but he is still good about Brazil politics, imo

Dias posted:

I hope you are right. Im not feeling so confident myself

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Elias_Maluco posted:

this is like the 20th TIME TO FIGHT FOR OUR NATION campaign this year alone, dude

Like, I understand it sucks but it's scare tactics because at the end of the day no one wants a repeat of the Capitol invasion, and Bolsonaro doesn't have the support needed to just do a coup (or the competence, honestly). They're slowly closing in on his family too because the actual dangerous people realized the only way 2022 won't be a Lula victory is if they get rid of Bolsonaro first.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dias posted:

this is like the 20th TIME TO FIGHT FOR OUR NATION campaign this year alone, dude

Like, I understand it sucks but it's scare tactics because at the end of the day no one wants a repeat of the Capitol invasion, and Bolsonaro doesn't have the support needed to just do a coup (or the competence, honestly). They're slowly closing in on his family too because the actual dangerous people realized the only way 2022 won't be a Lula victory is if they get rid of Bolsonaro first.

Well, it might be. But this time feels.. different, I dont know. I have a bad feeling, is all. I dont exactly expect a coup tomorrow, but I have this feeling thats something might happen, one way or the other

And sure they are threatening a coup at least since 2018, but each time they seems to go a little further. And theres no consequence but a few grave complains from authorities.

And he dont really need much support besides a portion of the big capitalists (and that he still has) and, above all, the military. The military is supposed to be displeased and tired of him, but unnofficialy. Officially they are still very much onboard, are a huge part of his government, and seems more paranoid about COMMUNISM than ever (or at least in the last 30 years).

Than theres the PM (military police), who is even more openly supporting Bolsonaro than the military, and is threatening to take part on the protests tomorrow. And as you know they are dangerous

Our republic is weak, and is on a very low point, and we have a bad history. Something like a Capitol invasion here probably aint going to end the same way it did on the USA

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

This is dumb right-wing propaganda

Glenn has been saying a lot of crap about USA politics but he is still good about Brazil politics, imo

Glenn is telling people to vote for Ciro so idk about that anymore either

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
poo poo is happening in Brasilia

https://twitter.com/urbannathalia/status/1435056849351593991?s=21

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://twitter.com/AnonOpsSE/status/1435085138329849865?s=20

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Still not too worried about a coup, I'm more worried about a random shooting happening when stuff gets too hot, which is the Capitol fiasco worst case scenario

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dias posted:

Still not too worried about a coup, I'm more worried about a random shooting happening when stuff gets too hot, which is the Capitol fiasco worst case scenario
Isn't the military on Bolso's side rather than congress'? Forgive my half-informed ramblings but wouldn't they help destroy resistance within the capitol?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Grouchio posted:

Isn't the military on Bolso's side rather than congress'? Forgive my half-informed ramblings but wouldn't they help destroy resistance within the capitol?

Seems unlikely they'd risk it, not every high ranking member of the military is a staunch Bolsonaro supporter, maybe they could get the PM involved, but the Supreme Court holds quite a bit of power and sway itself.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ah good the police is stepping in against the Bolsos already.

quote:

Pre-dawn skirmishes have erupted between police and supporters of Brazil’s president, Jair Bolsonaro, as rightwing activists tried to force their way towards congress before major pro-government rallies that have put Latin America’s biggest democracy on edge. Footage published by the Brasilia-based news website Metrópoles showed military police using pepper spray to repel a crowd of cheering Bolsonaristas in the early hours of Tuesday.

Officers can be seen wrestling with one demonstrator as the group attempted to break through a police blockade on the avenue leading to congress using lorries draped with Brazil’s yellow and green flag. Other footage shows a police officer drawing his gun in an attempt to deter the mob and Bolsonaro supporters vowing to storm the supreme court. In one video a Bolsonaro supporter can be heard berating the police for blocking the protesters’ path. “God will make you pay for this. You communists!” she shouts.

Tuesday’s Independence Day protests – called by Brazil’s embattled leader in an apparent attempt to project strength at the worst moment of his presidency since it began in January 2019 – have sent shockwaves through Brazilian society. Many citizens fear violence as hardline Bolsonaro supporters take to the streets to champion a leader whose ratings have plunged as a result of corruption scandals involving his allies and relatives and his handling of a Covid outbreak that has killed more than 580,000 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://twitter.com/UrbanNathalia/status/1435283154768736259?s=20