Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The "foundations" line near the end of Ragnarok is the worst example in the MCU of an out-of-place joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I agree, although I think that was less of a Disney/MCU quippy thing and more of a Taiki Waititi thing

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I guess some guys are upset a Netflix adaption of some comic and/or anime lacks the right color booty shorts. The worst part of any superhero movie are the comic book fans and any deficits in storytelling or plotline are more than made up in feeding off the righteous indignation of man-children tears.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

I guess some guys are upset a Netflix adaption of some comic and/or anime lacks the right color booty shorts. The worst part of any superhero movie are the comic book fans and any deficits in storytelling or plotline are more than made up in feeding off the righteous indignation of man-children tears.
Its really dumb bc that show looks not great for perfectly valid reasons but they all focus on the outfit being functional over accurate to the character as if it matters

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Idk what thread you weirdos think you are in, but this is all incomprehensible and banal to an outside observer.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Toshimo posted:

Idk what thread you weirdos think you are in, but this is all incomprehensible and banal to an outside observer.

They're talking about the Cowboy Bebop live-action adaptation, specifically the costume design for Faye Valentine. Although I could barely tell that's what they're talking about.

Faye's an interesting subject for the 'has/hasn't aged well', because there is a BUNCH about her character that you couldn't do as-is today, especially in live-action. But none of it's necessarily huge stuff, it's just a bunch of smaller elements that compile. She's the 'death by a thousand cuts' of characters that only could've worked in the nineties. It's manageable to make her in the modern day and in live-action, but basically everything has to change at least a little bit.

...although if that adaptation hits her entire story, they are gonna have to handle the fact that she was in a private spaceship crash and then cryogenically frozen specifically in 2014. That's probably the biggest thing they have to work around.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I legitimately had no idea who the character even was or I would have been more specific. It just follows the usual Twitter indignation that occurs whenever a comic gets adapted or IP remade. The only movie that was truly as bad as men-with-strong-opinions-on-the-internet claimed was probably the Ghostbusters remake, but it wasn't bad for the reasons they cited.

Cleretic posted:

...although if that adaptation hits her entire story, they are gonna have to handle the fact that she was in a private spaceship crash and then cryogenically frozen specifically in 2014. That's probably the biggest thing they have to work around.

Of all the weird sci-fi timelines versus real life (i.e. Bladerunner in 2019, Robocop in 2015) people going up in private spacecraft and getting cryogenically frozen is probably only a few years off. I think we're one bad cancer diagnosis for Elon Musk from both of those happening.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Sep 6, 2021

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I legitimately had no idea who the character even was or I would have been more specific.

Do you not see how vagueposting about twitter hot takes on media that has not yet aired is kind of a weird choice for the "PYF: Media that did not age well thread?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But then how will you know how superior i an to these randos

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Yeah I have no idea what the hell is going on itt right now lol, every time I start reading my eyes glaze over

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

Of all the weird sci-fi timelines versus real life (i.e. Bladerunner in 2019, Robocop in 2015) people going up in private spacecraft and getting cryogenically frozen is probably only a few years off. I think we're one bad cancer diagnosis for Elon Musk from both of those happening.

The private spacecraft isn’t the problem here, it’s the cryogenic freezing, which is plausible-sounding-but-probably-impossible tech because getting frozen just makes your cells explode.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Toshimo posted:

Do you not see how vagueposting about twitter hot takes on media that has not yet aired is kind of a weird choice for the "PYF: Media that did not age well thread?

I'm personally ok with discussing something that might already be aged poorly before it's even out. We've gone over How I Met Your Mother multiple times in this thread so a new topic is nice.

But Jesus Christ actually say the name of what it is you're actually loving talking about. Don't assume people know what you know.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pigbuster posted:

The private spacecraft isn’t the problem here, it’s the cryogenic freezing, which is plausible-sounding-but-probably-impossible tech because getting frozen just makes your cells explode.

What bugs and some frogs do is use a kind of natural antifreeze to make the freezing in such a way it doesn't make ice crystals that explode your cells. Actually making that work in people is another issue, of course.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

As far as I know, this isn't true? Back in the 50s or so there were successful experiments freezing and thawing out mice and similarly-sized animals, and the news about this was what got cryogenic freezing to be such a popular sci-fi concept in the first place.

Unfortunately, it doesn't scale up. Once you get to creatures the size of a rabbit or so, you can't heat them evenly enough to thaw out the body safely - you need everything to come online all at the same time - and the creature dies.
On the plus side, the machine they developed to do this thawing did become the microwave oven. So we still got some good out of it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Cleretic posted:

They're talking about the Cowboy Bebop live-action adaptation, specifically the costume design for Faye Valentine. Although I could barely tell that's what they're talking about.

Faye's an interesting subject for the 'has/hasn't aged well', because there is a BUNCH about her character that you couldn't do as-is today, especially in live-action. But none of it's necessarily huge stuff, it's just a bunch of smaller elements that compile. She's the 'death by a thousand cuts' of characters that only could've worked in the nineties. It's manageable to make her in the modern day and in live-action, but basically everything has to change at least a little bit.

I watched Cowboy Bebop for the first time recently and was slightly disappointed by the treatment of Faye by the other characters and the show overall. I found her to be the most interesting character, with an extremely compelling inner world (that doesn't really get well explored) but everyone just constantly shits on her. A version of the show that shifted the focal point from Spike to her would potentially be really good if you're going to retread things but add something new to it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I'd be interested in Faye getting some kind of "The Woman Called Fujiko Mine" thing going

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Changing random poo poo for no reason is one of those things the MCU got so big in part because it stopped doing it. Very rarely if ever has an adaptation been bad because it was too much like the source material. (though yes, this is an ironic thread to post that in) I dunno if you think it's owning the nerds or what, but Dragon Ball Evolution didn't exactly set the world on fire with its daring choices.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Changing random poo poo for no reason is one of those things the MCU got so big in part because it stopped doing it. Very rarely if ever has an adaptation been bad because it was too much like the source material. (though yes, this is an ironic thread to post that in) I dunno if you think it's owning the nerds or what, but Dragon Ball Evolution didn't exactly set the world on fire with its daring choices.

You say that but uh.....Civil War? Also GOTG honestly. Hell even TWS hit some of the same story beats but SHIELD being a front for HYDRA is a big change

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

bunnyofdoom posted:

You say that but uh.....Civil War? Also GOTG honestly. Hell even TWS hit some of the same story beats but SHIELD being a front for HYDRA is a big change

The trick with adaptations of ongoing stories, especially comics, is that you don't actually have to recreate story arcs beat for beat, and probably shouldn't. The character details and appearances are important things, though. Also, nobody at all cared about the GotG before the movie.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The MCU seems like a weird thing to compare other adaptions to because I would assume that the audience who engages with Marvel only in terms of the movies is way higher than the number who ever read the any of the comics, especially at this point. They get to benefit from decades of stories to pull out the pieces that worked, ignore the parts that don't and remix however they feel like.

An adaption like Cowboy Bebop does seem much more beholden to the old fans because it seems like it would be harder to get a broad audience to really care you're making it. If you want to watch Cowboy Bebop, its 26 very readily accessible episodes, instead of decades of continuity that you need to sift through for the gems.

e: wait is the grievance actually being mad that they aren't using Faye's anime costume? Putting an actual person in that for a whole series would be way too horny and weird.

Shiroc has a new favorite as of 05:57 on Sep 7, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Horny aside tbh I don't even think it would work on a practical level, seems like it would be very difficult to move in.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Changing random poo poo for no reason is one of those things the MCU got so big in part because it stopped doing it.
This is nonsense, the marvel movies are constantly changing everything about the characters and the storylines, and they have never stopped changing things. The newest Spider-Man is the least like the comics so far, the big Avengers Infinity movies change Thanos and the overall story so much as to be unrecognizable, and the latest film IN THEATERS NOW GET YOUR COVID HERE has changed the most out of perhaps all the marvel movies yet.

Shiroc posted:

e: wait is the grievance actually being mad that they aren't using Faye's anime costume? Putting an actual person in that for a whole series would be way too horny and weird.

christmas boots posted:

Horny aside tbh I don't even think it would work on a practical level, seems like it would be very difficult to move in.

Assepoester has a new favorite as of 06:18 on Sep 7, 2021

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Shiroc posted:

There's also some people mad that they cast a black guy as Jet.

Never mind that he might be the member of the core cast that's nailing the role the hardest just going by pictures. Or that Jet was always kinda super ethnically ambiguous anyway, and no part of his story really requires he be of any particular ethnicity. They're mad, because 'blackwashing'.

Frankly I think Jet's story works better in the present day as a black guy, that perfectly contextualizes his weird relationship with authority.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
As much as I enjoyed the anime back in the day I would have to agree that Faye's original outfit makes about as much sense as a chainmail bikini

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Shiroc posted:

The MCU seems like a weird thing to compare other adaptions to because I would assume that the audience who engages with Marvel only in terms of the movies is way higher than the number who ever read the any of the comics, especially at this point. They get to benefit from decades of stories to pull out the pieces that worked, ignore the parts that don't and remix however they feel like.

An adaption like Cowboy Bebop does seem much more beholden to the old fans because it seems like it would be harder to get a broad audience to really care you're making it. If you want to watch Cowboy Bebop, its 26 very readily accessible episodes, instead of decades of continuity that you need to sift through for the gems.

Yeah, they should just say "No, we aren't putting the actress who plays Faye in this weird fetish costume," instead of flailing around the way they have. The outfit in the anime is supposed to be stupid and over the top because Faye is bad at being a Femme Fatale, but the costume they showed off in the pictures is also stupid and dumb, so it fits that perfectly.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

I legitimately had no idea who the character even was or I would have been more specific. It just follows the usual Twitter indignation that occurs whenever a comic gets adapted or IP remade. The only movie that was truly as bad as men-with-strong-opinions-on-the-internet claimed was probably the Ghostbusters remake, but it wasn't bad for the reasons they cited.

the world would become a better place if Musk or any other gigadollar haver legit thinks their galaxy bean knows better than those dumb nerds, and try to freeze themseleves.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Cleretic posted:

Never mind that he might be the member of the core cast that's nailing the role the hardest just going by pictures. Or that Jet was always kinda super ethnically ambiguous anyway, and no part of his story really requires he be of any particular ethnicity.

I could swear he was native American. I vaguely recall a conversation with the Sitting Bull expy where Jet regretted leaving their home. Maybe I'm nuts.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Squidster posted:

I could swear he was native American. I vaguely recall a conversation with the Sitting Bull expy where Jet regretted leaving their home. Maybe I'm nuts.

In terms of actual in-universe history, he was born on Ganymede. Which makes him a second-generation immigrant, and it's not clear where his family came from.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Cleretic posted:

There's also some people mad that they cast a black guy as Jet.

Never mind that he might be the member of the core cast that's nailing the role the hardest just going by pictures. Or that Jet was always kinda super ethnically ambiguous anyway, and no part of his story really requires he be of any particular ethnicity. They're mad, because 'blackwashing'.

Frankly I think Jet's story works better in the present day as a black guy, that perfectly contextualizes his weird relationship with authority.

Huh.

I always thought he was supposed to be black.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Samovar posted:

Huh.

His last name is Black. Jet Black.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's apparently completely accidental that Spike Spiegel really reads as Jewish.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

MariusLecter posted:

His last name is Black. Jet Black.

The English voice actor for Jet is Beau Billingsley, who is black.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's apparently completely accidental that Spike Spiegel really reads as Jewish.

I still don't believe this.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

christmas boots posted:

That's something the actress specifically confirmed even. They initially tried a costume closer to the original one, but it turned out she simply outright couldn't move properly in it. Aside from that, it apparently also tended to shift around and ride up and was overall horrendously uncomfortable.

Naturally, the nerds' response to that was "well here's a cosplayer leisurely walking along, so actually you technically can move in it!!!"

Bony-Eared Assfish
Oct 4, 2018

bunnyofdoom posted:

Not really.

That's from Secret Warriors, specifically the "Nick Fury - Agent of Nothing" arc which came out around the Civil War event I think

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

wait Hydra is (((them))) too??

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Samovar posted:

Huh.

Yeah, I also always thought his ethnicity was supposed to be Mediterranean-African or Middle-Eastern.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Perestroika posted:

That's something the actress specifically confirmed even. They initially tried a costume closer to the original one, but it turned out she simply outright couldn't move properly in it. Aside from that, it apparently also tended to shift around and ride up and was overall horrendously uncomfortable.

Naturally, the nerds' response to that was "well here's a cosplayer leisurely walking along, so actually you technically can move in it!!!"

Funnily enough, pretty much all of my cosplayer friends have been of the opinion that "While I don't necessarily like the new costume design, hoo drat do I understand why they changed it in the first place."

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's also a big difference between "leisurely strut around the con exhibit hall" and "do an action scene, in heels"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Samovar posted:

Huh.

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah, I also always thought his ethnicity was supposed to be Mediterranean-African or Middle-Eastern.

I'm about to stumble into contexts that I'm COMPLETELY unequipped to talk about, but we can say that whatever Jet's ethnicity is, it's likely not intended to be 'classically black'. Largely because there are characters clearly intended to be black (the guy on Big Shot, basically every single character in Mushroom Samba, probably one of the Three Old Men), and he's colored nothing like them. I could buy Middle-Eastern or perhaps Native American, though.

It doesn't change that just straight-up casting him as black... I mean, it works, there's no denying that. Even the original dub knew that.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:59 on Sep 7, 2021