Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

drk posted:

In which a moron buys bitcoin for cash via from an undercover IRS agent posing as "Mr Coins" via US mail, then proceeds to detail his entire drug empire via whatsapp messages: https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/21053100/irs-undercover-sting-on-localcryptos.pdf

The "probable cause" section is the juicy stuff

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBdGOrcUEg8

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

drk posted:

In which a moron buys bitcoin for cash via from an undercover IRS agent posing as "Mr Coins" via US mail, then proceeds to detail his entire drug empire via whatsapp messages: https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/21053100/irs-undercover-sting-on-localcryptos.pdf

The "probable cause" section is the juicy stuff

But they typed the suspect's name in all caps, so they're only investigating the man instead of the person.

e: On page 11, they include the Internet in their list of technical terms requiring a description. LOL

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 6, 2021

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The lesson here is you can just send 15k cash through the mail for crimes and as long as the person you’re sending it to is not under police surveillance or a cop themselves then you’ll probably have no problems

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Just gotta mix it with loose clothes like our man Lucifallen21

Thing is, you've got to assume anyone who proposes "hey lets do crimes via US Mail" is definitely a fed

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Orvin posted:

Is some of the current rise in Butts due to El Salvador starting up their crypto experiment tomorrow? If/when it falls apart, I am guessing all the crypto people will have excuses for why it failed, but is still good for buttcoin.

Is this the one where they're banning paper currency to get people to stop using US dollars?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

… is this satire?

Please tell me it’s satire

Please

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/mcmillen/status/1434632359865995271

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Is this the one where they're banning paper currency to get people to stop using US dollars?

I don’t believe so. The little bit I have read is that merchants have to take Bitcoin if they have the tech. That would seem to indicate that cash is still an option.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ELTON JOHN posted:

wtf how did this guy recover from the randi interview

Being a litigious fucker like modern Billy Mitchel.
Uri sued Randi in JAPAN due to some japanese newspaper mistranslating something Randi has said. Uri won on a no show, but got gently caress all if I remember right.
The fucker then tried suing Nintendo as well over some Pokemon he thought was named after him.

I would like to buy this NFT, how many butts would it take?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Orvin posted:

I don’t believe so. The little bit I have read is that merchants have to take Bitcoin if they have the tech. That would seem to indicate that cash is still an option.

This article I saw this morning suggests otherwise, that all business, even small or micro-business will have to take bitcoin to be in compliance with the laws.

Translated from spanish: https://translate.google.com/transl...esor-de-capres/

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

drk posted:

This article I saw this morning suggests otherwise, that all business, even small or micro-business will have to take bitcoin to be in compliance with the laws.

Translated from spanish: https://translate.google.com/transl...esor-de-capres/

This really feels like something that's just going to be totally ignored, or end in utter disaster if anyone tries to enforce it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/coffeebreak_YT/status/1435080593818198017

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This really feels like something that's just going to be totally ignored, or end in utter disaster if anyone tries to enforce it.

All the butts will go missing when el presidente flees the country.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Collateral posted:

All the butts will go missing when el presidente flees the country.

so far it started with the Chivo system crashing at 3am (local time). The President was up at 6am tweeting that it wasn't dead, only resting - apparently the KYC image upload servers overloaded? - and they were upgrading the servers. It's 9:30am there now, still not up.

it's frankly implausible the system would self-DDOS at 3am - everyone's, like, asleep.

otoh, it's an absolute certainty that this system is such a piece of poo poo that it would break if you looked at it funny, so crashing under its own weight is very plausible

I'm doing an extended live-tweet of the shitshow as it happens - start at https://twitter.com/davidgerard/status/1435245752574484480 and go up to the start

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!
There’s an article in The Guardian today you’ll all enjoy, about the Seavangelists starting a Seavilisation underpinned by Bitcoin

“The disastrous voyage of Satoshi, the world’s first cryptocurrency cruise ship”

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/sep/07/disastrous-voyage-satoshi-cryptocurrency-cruise-ship-seassteading

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

smellmycheese posted:

Hold up everyone. NFTs can’t be a scam. Even well known fraudulent psychic con artists are getting into them now.

https://twitter.com/Jerusalem_Post/status/1434652626923266059

You mean he isn't an X files character?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
BTC down almost 9% this morning. F to all the new holdrs who bought in at $52K

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Prurient Squid posted:

You mean he isn't an X files character?

He's a pokemon.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
why number go up? why number go down?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

the last signal... posted:

why number go up? why number go down?

buy the number down!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Looking forward to the next batch of "I took out a second mortgage AND my spouse's 401k without telling anybody and invested it all on bitcoin but I lost it all how do I not get divorced HELP" reddit (fake)posts because El Presidente did something that is Good For Bitcoin

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

codswallop posted:

There’s an article in The Guardian today you’ll all enjoy, about the Seavangelists starting a Seavilisation underpinned by Bitcoin

“The disastrous voyage of Satoshi, the world’s first cryptocurrency cruise ship”

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/sep/07/disastrous-voyage-satoshi-cryptocurrency-cruise-ship-seassteading

LOL at the fact that they wanted to live without regulations but didn't want to sail into international waters to dump wastewater.

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!

The X-man cometh posted:

LOL at the fact that they wanted to live without regulations but didn't want to sail into international waters to dump wastewater.

My favourite’s the part where they scrapped their regulation-free crypto-utopia because they couldn’t get their boat insured by a fiat company (spoiler, it’s because the Global Elite were oppressing them)

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

nnnotime posted:

I guess it makes sense? Fundamentals that would make a regulated commodity go down make buttcoin go up and vice-versa.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

nnnotime posted:

Pretty much every crypto asset was up like 80% over the past month.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

EorayMel posted:

Looking forward to the next batch of "I took out a second mortgage AND my spouse's 401k without telling anybody and invested it all on bitcoin but I lost it all how do I not get divorced HELP" reddit (fake)posts because El Presidente did something that is Good For Bitcoin
Yeah, this is absolutely going into a Tropico DLC or the next version of the game.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Nessus posted:

Yeah, this is absolutely going into a Tropico DLC or the next version of the game.
They have to have an El Presidente cryptocurrency as a late game tech too.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1435309549771165703?s=20

EvilHobo
Dec 28, 2008

Sashimi posted:

They have to have an El Presidente cryptocurrency as a late game tech too.

...Tropicoin?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Tether is backed by "paper" including actual assets, post it notes saying "I owe you a billion dollars and I'll pay it I promise" and everything in between right?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Code Jockey posted:

Tether is backed by "paper" including actual assets, post it notes saying "I owe you a billion dollars and I'll pay it I promise" and everything in between right?

Not so much sticky note more like pogs.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Code Jockey posted:

It's absolutely backed one to one by real united states dollars and every time they print more it means someone gave them real united states dollars to invest in the crypto economy.

Also I have some bridges for sale if anyone's looking for one.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Zil posted:

Not so much sticky note more like pogs.

that's pogs

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

That’s POGGERS

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Mimesweeper posted:

It's absolutely backed one to one by real united states dollars and every time they print more it means someone gave them real united states dollars to invest in the crypto economy.

Tether themselves doesnt even claim this any more. Most of it is unspecified "commercial paper" and "bonds" which could mean anything since they refuse to state what specific assets they actually hold. Also, their management has the policy of valuing their holdings at the price they were acquired at, so if they have garbage debt whose market price has decreased, they do not take this into account (this is called marking to market, which all legitimate companies must do, but Tether goes out of the way to say they dont do it).

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Considering Tether won't convert 1 Tether into 1 USD, it's entirely irrelevant whether it is backed by anything. To the end user, Tether is backed by nothing.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
How El Salvador's Bitcoin Day went.

spoiler: they're setting poo poo on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
"institutionalized investors" like, at a mental hospital?