Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favourite number
This poll is closed.
835 3 2.29%
2 14 10.69%
3,400,981 17 12.98%
11 19 14.50%
21 13 9.92%
7070 12 9.16%
58008 53 40.46%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bovis posted:

Need to watch that RE video, thanks for the reminder!

Long time no post chat thread. I'm moving to Japan in two days and it's exciting! Bit stressful but looking forward to it.

I preordered Deathloop and I'm going to play it during my quarantine with nothing else to do :D

The time you are required to spend in quarantine is at a hotel of the governments choice, and it will serve you the food of its choice. Packing some food snacks to enjoy while stuck in the hotel can make all the difference if you get a real shitter of a hotel. All the brits I know were thrilled to bring their electric kettle since one is not likely provided

Anyway, welcome to Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Barudak posted:

The time you are required to spend in quarantine is at a hotel of the governments choice, and it will serve you the food of its choice.

Oh we are coming from New Zealand so we don't need to do any government hotel quarantine, just need to stay somewhere for 14 days. Booked an Airbnb which said it's good for it (even has airport pickup included)!

Thanks for the welcome! :D

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you haven't the Japan thread here is very useful. Im not sure where New Zealand is at with vaccinations but Japan is full steam ahead so as soon as you get your ward info/health card go get it if you've not done so.

Assuming New Zealands 14 days are the same as other countries, do not fail to pick up your phone when they call. Missing two(?) calls results in emergency dispatch. Uber Eats works well in English, Demecae and other native apps are not a good time to setup if you're not good at Japanese. Not sure your Japanese proficiency or where you'll be going, but you'll probably fine to relax and enjoy some PS5 and order some food in.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Thanks for the tips! Yeah I'm going to make super sure that I don't miss any calls! My wife is Japanese so she can help with translating stuff. Keen to order ubereats and I'll check out that other app!

I'm fully vaxxed up thankfully and my wife had one here and has organised getting a second over there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Today I finished Lake. Overall I'd say that I enjoyed the experience, although for being only 6 hours long it does begin to wear out its welcome in the end. The best and worst thing about the game is that there are no real surprises, no supernatural twists or murder mysteries, nothing like that at all. You're a mail carrier, you deliver packages and get involved with local townie drama after work. Ultimately you have to decide between your career or a new life on the road. It's relaxing, but I would have appreciated some other activities to break up the monotony. It's also an extremely low-budget game, like I thought Road 96 was done for cheap but this is on a whole different level. That didn't really hinder my own enjoyment, but I could see other people getting turned off by it. Also like Road 96, it has a great soundtrack. I'm not sure if this was intentional or not but they really achieve the experience of working some menial job and getting the same 8 songs on the radio stuck in your head. I'm going WAAAAAAAAYYYY down south!

So far in 2021 I have played:

- Trials of Mana Remake
- Foregone
- Resident Evil Village
- Guilty Gear Strive
- Streets of Rage 4: Mr. X Nightmare (DLC)
- 12 Minutes
- Road 96
- Lake

Up Next: Life is Strange: True Colors

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bovis posted:

Thanks for the tips! Yeah I'm going to make super sure that I don't miss any calls! My wife is Japanese so she can help with translating stuff. Keen to order ubereats and I'll check out that other app!

I'm fully vaxxed up thankfully and my wife had one here and has organised getting a second over there.

Oh awesome, you've a real leg up navigating some of the more idiosyncratic aspects of Japan.

The best news about Japan is the use of cash has plummeted. There are still lots of cash only places but in the two years I've been here its gone from there are multiple grocery store chains that don't take credit cards to basically everywhere taking some combination of touch payment.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Is the new Pathfinder game any good?
I thought the first one was decent but had way too many obscure mechanics.could have been great if the decreased the scope of the game and focused on making it more coherent.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Is the new Pathfinder game any good?
I thought the first one was decent but had way too many obscure mechanics.could have been great if the decreased the scope of the game and focused on making it more coherent.

It is better than Kingmaker but it's very Pathfinder 1e, with all the mechanical baggage that entails.

There's a big bunch of difficulty options and respeccing though

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Barudak posted:

Oh awesome, you've a real leg up navigating some of the more idiosyncratic aspects of Japan.

The best news about Japan is the use of cash has plummeted. There are still lots of cash only places but in the two years I've been here its gone from there are multiple grocery store chains that don't take credit cards to basically everywhere taking some combination of touch payment.

Awesome! Yeah I'm really grateful that I have someone who can help me with the confusing stuff.

So looking forward to conbini food, it's been too long haha

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Say arigato whenever you have to ask a Japanese person for something, they love that

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Before I have been going to sleep, I have spent a little bit of time playing my switch in bed and this has led me to finally getting properly involved in a 3D mario game. The game in question is Mario Odyssey and the only reason I am jamming with it more than before is the wonderful cappy.

My depth perception suffers greatly in 3D jumping games. I can never quite judge jumping on enemy heads in 3D. Being able to chuck a cap at enemies instead means I can enjoy it a ton more :)

And oh goodness is it a delight. I am in New Donk City right now and I just got to experience the festival boss which has been the highlight so far :D

Probably the best or one of the best music tracks in any mario game. I think my top three mario musics are:

1. SMB2 main world
2. Jump up Super Star
3. Super Mario World Athletic

Just brilliance :D I picked the snow world as my next port of call because water worlds are so difficult with floaty physics and I love slip slidy levels more.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Finished up Pyre yesterday. What a wonderful little game!

Pyre
Bastion
Transistor
Hades

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hades (SA’s GotY 2020) is the only supergiant game I really liked.... it is legitimately Flawless

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Finished up Pyre yesterday. What a wonderful little game!

Pyre
Bastion
Transistor
Hades

sneezing from all this spice

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

Before I have been going to sleep, I have spent a little bit of time playing my switch in bed and this has led me to finally getting properly involved in a 3D mario game. The game in question is Mario Odyssey and the only reason I am jamming with it more than before is the wonderful cappy.

My depth perception suffers greatly in 3D jumping games. I can never quite judge jumping on enemy heads in 3D. Being able to chuck a cap at enemies instead means I can enjoy it a ton more :)

And oh goodness is it a delight. I am in New Donk City right now and I just got to experience the festival boss which has been the highlight so far :D

Probably the best or one of the best music tracks in any mario game. I think my top three mario musics are:

1. SMB2 main world
2. Jump up Super Star
3. Super Mario World Athletic

Just brilliance :D I picked the snow world as my next port of call because water worlds are so difficult with floaty physics and I love slip slidy levels more.

enjoy, mario odyssey ftw

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

There was a rumored remake of 64 in the Odyssey engine and while that probably would never happen, it would have been the perfect video game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This has nothing to do with anything but I love the Undertale soundtrack so much you guys. My top 10 games of all time is almost exclusively platformers, but Undertale is far and away #1 for me in terms of soundtrack. Something like FFXIV is up there but I don't think another game will top Undertale's music for me.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Macaluso posted:

This has nothing to do with anything but I love the Undertale soundtrack so much you guys. My top 10 games of all time is almost exclusively platformers, but Undertale is far and away #1 for me in terms of soundtrack. Something like FFXIV is up there but I don't think another game will top Undertale's music for me.

Undertale has a very solid OST for sure. Here's a couple more RPG soundtracks that you may enjoy, mainly falling into the same chip tune-ish category:

Earthbound (obviously)
Chrono Trigger
FFVI (my personal number one)
Secret Of Mana
Secret Of Evermore

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The music that plays when you press pause in the nes version of smb2 is pretty good

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

wuggles posted:

sneezing from all this spice

Hades being at the bottom doesn't mean it's bad hth

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Exactly. Even though I put DS1 at the bottom of the FromSoftware pile, it is still a truly wonderful game.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dire
Transispoor
Badstion
Hades (the good game)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

however it is bad

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Stux joining the rba "always do the opposite of what I say" starblade club

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

lmao

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

stux normally has good taste and i've been pleased more ofen than not with poo poo stux has recommended to me (eizouken, anodyne 2, ichika nito)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1435227106003374084?s=20

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

stux normally has good taste and i've been pleased more ofen than not with poo poo stux has recommended to me (eizouken, anodyne 2, ichika nito)

Nerd alert

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

understandable gaming babies would like the easyy game :D

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Let me tell you all about the latest hot game from Japan I've been enjoying - its called yakuza 6 and its the sound of the summer

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jay Rust posted:

I didn't play Hades

Just doesn't look interesting

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 7, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Hades is probably the best roguelike there is but it is still a roguelike, and therefore only slightly above TCGs in "things that personally interest me."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alan Wake remaster hopefully has a "remove all of the cutscenes" feature

exquisite tea posted:

Hades is probably the best roguelike there is but it is still a roguelike, and therefore only slightly above TCGs in "things that personally interest me."

Same except I love card games (not roguelike ones though. No thank you)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'd prefer a magelike

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dead Cells is a better roguelike

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I'd prefer a magelike

The entire Dungeon Crawler RPG genre are just Wizardrylikes so I agree

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Dead Cells is excellent. 2D platforming fun! :D

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Dead Smells just imho

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Hades is probably the best roguelike there is

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Now that Streets of Rage 4 has a roguelike mode there's no reason to play anything else.