Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I don't know how big these trains are, but I think it's possible they won't actually use them "as is" and will strip the tables and seats out to create more space.

Like, lessons won't be conducted in groups of four facing each other with a table in the middle and teacher pacing up and down the aisle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Pacers are usually more like buses inside than the table group of four. It is possible that they'll strip the seats out if they happen to be those slightly comfier retrofit ones and replace them with plastic chairs, because otherwise the idle kids might rest their backs.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Maximum Tory option: it’s actually just the one Pacer serving as all three

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I bet the shitters still dump out on the floor

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

TACD posted:

School was told they would get four of them but due to a technical fault the train is now a single pacer.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TACD posted:

Well since school opening is going to send a lot of kids to the hospital, might as well disintermediate

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009
Converting into a kitchen is the most bizare one. You would need to retrofit plumbing, electricity, ventilation, insulation and would still end up with something awkwardly shaped and a metre off the ground.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a friend who converts stuff into burger vans and it’s surprisingly easy to do. You use huge water bottles, generators, and gas bottles and freeze your arse off in winter or get lucky and get it hooked into the electricity supply so you can run a small heater.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
*points at ambulance*: burger van

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

learnincurve posted:

I have a friend who converts stuff into burger vans and it’s surprisingly easy to do. You use huge water bottles, generators, and gas bottles and freeze your arse off in winter or get lucky and get it hooked into the electricity supply so you can run a small heater.
I was going to say at that point you might as well get some corrugated metal and just cobble together a shed, then I realised this whole thing is just *taps head meme* it’s not a shanty town if it’s official government infrastructure

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
One good thing about pacers is how accessible they are.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

They're going to literally do Iron Local Council.

"School services have now finished on this line, all change for the school replacement bus service. Next stop: mental health kitchen." *two orderlies wheel on a bottle gas grill as the children depart*

TACD posted:

then I realised this whole thing is just *taps head meme* it’s not a shanty town if it’s official government infrastructure
Wait until The Saj discovers that reddit group about shipping containers and pallets.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
No see it's recycling! Reuse! It's because we care about the environment. Please make an inspirational facebook video about how we're saving the planet through plonking old trains in places. Please also ignore all other tory policies pertaining to climate change. Our logo is a tree.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

My primary school had two Portakabins in the playground which never made any sense because the school was small enough that there were just one class in each year which had a fixed classroom each. I think I once had a couple of classes in one because there was a broken window in my normal room, but apart from that they just sat there enigmatically taking up already extremely limited space. Then they got moved to the nursery school round the corner when it was "discovered"[1] that the original 1950s building was basically lead-enriched asbestos, where they're still somehow in use.

[1] "Discovered" as in literally every parent, teacher, and local official knew about it but pretended not to until the big storm in 1987 slightly damaged it and no builder on the planet would go near it.

Kinda their fault for not using off-planet builders IMO.

Sorry but couldn't resist.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Failed Imagineer posted:

*points at ambulance*: burger van

Ambulances are apparently much easier to convert than most things since they have a lot of stuff like electricity already wired in.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Azza Bamboo posted:

[Tonty's mad ramblings]

I know its a caricature at this point to call him bloodthirsty lunatic but he's sailing as close as is possible in mainstream media to the great replacement with his islamism is an existential (sorry "first-order") threat to western society (whatever that is) bits; the third from bottom paragraph also pins the blame on politicians and the public who just aren't willing to stack enough coffins apparently.

It's insane how a former labour leader has ended up just completely swallowed up by the 'kill their leaders and convert their population' neocon mindset.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WhatEvil posted:

My secondary school had a set of "temporary huts" which had been there since the 60s. They were still there when I left in 2001 but I think they ultimately got rid of them a few years later.

The Portakabin classroom at Inverurie Academy was installed in November 2000 and was still in use when construction began on the new Academy in 2018. You do not, under any circumstances, need to "hand it to" the cunts who are responsible for terrorism in the Middle East.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Miftan posted:

Ambulances are apparently much easier to convert than most things since they have a lot of stuff like electricity already wired in.

I was going to say an ambulance would be easy but you know what ambulances, especially the early ones, get converted into? Camper vans, and it’s a huge thing.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

learnincurve posted:

I was going to say an ambulance would be easy but you know what ambulances, especially the early ones, get converted into? Camper vans, and it’s a huge thing.

Im a hobo and can confirm, ambulances are great and you don't have to deal with completely insane wiring complications like "headlight died, van won't start"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

I dunno if it's still the case but they used to all be 24V electrics meaning literally nothing that wasn't original equipment or ripped out of a Chieftain tank would work in them[1] - there used to be a thriving little grey market converting the Bedford and early Transit ambulances into campers and everyone got excited when the newer LDV ones with the much bigger rear area started to come along, as obviously they'd be much better for that use, but the difficulty of converting them back to 12V killed that off.

They *do* get used for burger vans because the shape is so convenient but they normally have a separate gas-powered generator for the fridge and other accessories, powered off the Calor gas for the burners, so you can just use conventional 220V kit for ease of install.

[1] Well a lot of stuff designed for more expensive caravans, boats, and (particularly American) campers does run at 24V but that's all way outside the price range of the kind of person who wants to convert a 10-year-old ambulance into a camper.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

learnincurve posted:

An acquaintance is very into those stupid camper vans things, which is how I know this in the first place.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rustybear posted:

I know its a caricature at this point to call him bloodthirsty lunatic but he's sailing as close as is possible in mainstream media to the great replacement with his islamism is an existential (sorry "first-order") threat to western society (whatever that is) bits; the third from bottom paragraph also pins the blame on politicians and the public who just aren't willing to stack enough coffins apparently.

It's insane how a former labour leader has ended up just completely swallowed up by the 'kill their leaders and convert their population' neocon mindset.

I think you underestimate the boundaries of the possible in British mainstream media.

https://twitter.com/adamrutherford/status/1432640899281035267?s=21

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

I think you underestimate the boundaries of the possible in British mainstream media.

https://twitter.com/adamrutherford/status/1432640899281035267?s=21

Lot of proud xenophobia in those comments, I'm sure you'll all be shocked to hear

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Hello I'm the scientific eugenicist, I'm against the very concept of hybrid vigor, and also against free fetal screening and abortion access, but pro compulsory sterilization and prohibitions on race mixing. Yes it is a real science and not just about controlling people and being a oval office."

Rustybear posted:

I do wonder how much of it is the zeal of the convert. Both in the figurative political sense in that most of the neocons themselves were some form of Trot or Maoist long ago, and just kept the "well someone has to suffer" part, and in the literal religious sense that oftentimes people who are born and raised Roman Catholic enjoy a Christmas service and give up chocolate for Lent whereas politically active people who make a big show of converting as adults are statistically more likely to start ranting about how the Mohammedans control the Holy Land and Planned Parenthood eats babies (same goes for some dorks like David Myatt who do it with fundamentalist Islam mostly as an excuse to continue being a dick).

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Rustybear posted:

The labour right are actually as bad or worse as the tory right in some ways and this is one of them.
As well as, obviously, the labour membership being more sexist and racist about who they want as leader

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SamosaOne/status/1435171966344994821

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

:discourse:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Gas and electric going up 15% for me, wonderful.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'd watch a Farage show if it was like Top Gear but with him test-piloting different light aircraft each week

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

sebzilla posted:

loving disgusting lol

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

learnincurve posted:

School was told they would get four of them but due to a technical fault the train is now a single pacer.

I lolled at this.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Someone has just said to me “…and now with rumours of another lockdown…”

First I’ve heard of it - does anyone have any detail on said rumours, and if there’s anything to them?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
October 'firebreak' was going around news as a last resort option and twitter as a globalist plot a few hours back but apparently it's NOT happening according to the cabinet so it probably will.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Sanford posted:

First I’ve heard of it - does anyone have any detail on said rumours, and if there’s anything to them?

the government have vehemently denied that there will be a half term lockdown, so it's 100% happening

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The Tories are briefing the press to warm people up for another set of restrictions because hospitals are starting to buckle and its going to get a lot worse as school goes back.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

Whew, just 11% for me. Can't wait to find out how this is Jeremy Corbyn's fault!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
those seem like big jumps. how stable are rates and changes, generally, in the uk

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sanford posted:

I half remember seeing a bbc report from last week with Boris on the thumbnail saying that they might have to bring back some restrictions temporarily, during winter I think they were saying.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

mediaphage posted:

those seem like big jumps. how stable are rates and changes, generally, in the uk

they go up and don’t go down so very stable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

October 'firebreak' was going around news as a last resort option and twitter as a globalist plot a few hours back but apparently it's NOT happening according to the cabinet so it probably will.

Right now hospitalisations and deaths are starting to nudge up a bit, but still spectacularly down on where they were per-case prior to the vaccines and the rate of increase has so far been both fairly linear. Of course schools going back are going to nudge that back up a bit, but the government (and the "opposition") are apparently more than happy to prop up the commercial property market with children's blood so it'd take something truly horrifying for them to be even discussing this, so either this is just the normal cycle of people making up something to get angry with or something really loving nasty - like Mu being able to completely avoid AZ - is on the cards and they're not telling us about it.