Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/DimirUB/status/1435063151720947712

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

drat. it's 2/3 of a timely reinforcements for 2/3 the cost and draws a card.

Edit: Twitter translation:
Sorcery

If your opponent has more life than you, you gain 4 life.

If your opponent controls more creatures than you, generate two 1/1 human tokens.

If your opponent has more cards in your hand than you, draw a card

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If your opponent has more life than you, gain 4.
If your opponent has more creatures, make two 1/1 tokens (human soldiers?).
If your opponent has more cards in hand, draw a card.

Fuckin incredible.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

I assume someone will have an actual translation at some point, but I think it says:

- if an opponent has more life than you, gain 4 life
- if an opponent has more creatures than you, make two 1/1 Human tokens
- if an opponent has more cards in hand than you, draw a card

Gaining 4 and making two 1/1s is pretty perfect for a control deck facing down an aggro opponent.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
well i think that covers the "white card draw" angle pretty drat well

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

it ain't no tireless, but its...okay?

e: wait i didnt realize it said as long as you control any token

e2:

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

This is wildly cool and seems very powerful too. It doesn't automatically get value, though.

wait, if this is the only nonland permanent you control and it dies, it still deals 1 to any target, right? Because it should see itself as it dies? that's not how it works

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 7, 2021

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

I don't know exactly how good this will end up being, but it is very cool.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hey I know Skybilz from GDQ. Neat

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Defeatist Elitist posted:

I don't know exactly how good this will end up being, but it is very cool.

It's VERY good.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I haven't played timely in a while, don't you usually have more cards when you play it?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

I haven't played timely in a while, don't you usually have more cards when you play it?

I said it above and I'm saying it now 2 is less than 3. And it has 3 modes. I think if you hit 2 modes 90% of the time and 3 75% it'll see play.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I think realistically there are very few situations where you'll get all three modes and still be able to turn the game around with this card. But as two thirds of a timely reinforcements it's really solid imo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

4 life and 2 guys on T2 is WAYYYYYY better than 6 life and 3 guys on T3. I don't think you will draw a card most of the time but it won't matter.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

mcmagic posted:

It's VERY good.

Definitely seems good.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you had to go to 6 for a functional hand against aggro then you can likely get all three, repairing your mulligan while also completely making GBS threads on their momentum.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I'm not so sure about constructed or even limited, but in commander that card will be a staple for mono-white and a strong consideration for several white/XXXX decks (most notably white/black). 2 mana to near-guaranteed summon two chump blockers and draw a card is amazing at any turn in the game.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Vengeful Extermination

6WW

Sorcery
Vengeful Extermination costs 1 less to cast for each creature on the battlefield.

Destroy all creatures.

aw poo poo, white blasphemous act. also rip doomskar lmao

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That's a good card.

It counts your creatures too so you can eot poop out a couple of tokens with the card we were just discussing in order to bring this down to castable range.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Jabor posted:

That's a good card.

It counts your creatures too so you can eot poop out a couple of tokens with the card we were just discussing in order to bring this down to castable range.

the new timely is a sorcery, i believe

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Those are some tasty white cards.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

i missed that investigate was returning. cool, i liked it last time.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I’m really stoked they’re bringing back the Balance aspect of White again, even if it isn’t (and shouldn’t) be as strong as cards like Balance or Land Tax. It’s a good way to get White card advantage and there’s lots of design space they can explore with it.

After several years of white being the butt of the joke they’ve actually designed some very cool white cards the last few sets. Hat tip to WOTC.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

A big flaming stink posted:

Idk, a deck that runs 4 Wraths probably wants to run another 4 more. I'd more expect them to be buddies.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I wonder what the new Odric will do, since he's on that card and obviously ridiculously powerful now

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Froghammer posted:

Idk, a deck that runs 4 Wraths probably wants to run another 4 more. I'd more expect them to be buddies.

This is very much not true because they're often stone-cold dead in control mirrors. Unless your wrath is Blood on the Snow in which case it brings back your wincon. :v:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
this new wrath is particularly bad in control mirrors! on purpose probably

i think it would have been neat if it cost 13 (10WWW probably) and reduced by 2 for each creature so we could have another 13 card

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Silhouette posted:

I wonder what the new Odric will do, since he's on that card and obviously ridiculously powerful now

to be fair he's really Seen Some poo poo.

...do we have any idea how long the time period between the first innistrad set and the current one is? because lmao if these poor fuckers have had to go through 3 apocalypses within 5 years

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Rules question: If my opponent goes to cast a noncreature spell and I sack Ranger-Captain of Eos in response, why does the noncreature spell still get cast? The ability comes into effect on the stack before the spell itself is cast, right? So shouldn't it fail?

I thought his ability worked like Veil of Summer, i.e. your opponent casts a counter spell aand you cast VoS in response, preventing the counter spell from being able to counter the initial spell you cast?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

MeinPanzer posted:

Rules question: If my opponent goes to cast a noncreature spell and I sack Ranger-Captain of Eos in response, why does the noncreature spell still get cast? The ability comes into effect on the stack before the spell itself is cast, right? So shouldn't it fail?

I thought his ability worked like Veil of Summer, i.e. your opponent casts a counter spell aand you cast VoS in response, preventing the counter spell from being able to counter the initial spell you cast?

They still get their spell. When you sac the Ranger, they've already cast their spell. What their spell hasn't done yet is resolve, and that's when a counterspell counters something.

e: Ruling on Gatherer

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 7, 2021

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

MeinPanzer posted:

My guess is because the spell is already cast and on the stack. When your opponent pays the mana cost, it's already been cast and it's just waiting to be resolved. Also seems like because of the "cast" keyword, instants and flashes can still be cast as long as you're still on the same stack.

Veil of Summer resolves first, so when the counterspell tries to resolve it's no longer allowed to because of Veil of Summer. First in, Last out of the stack.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It seems a bit too easy to play around Extermination for it to be your main wrath I feel. Good sideboard against decks that swarm you though.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
I guess the time you might actually want to use Ranger-Captain's sac ability is on an opponent's upkeep, on a turn you expect them to cast some nasty non-instant spells, then?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Decayed really fucks with my head when it comes to evaluating cards. It requires a target and can be fizzled as a result, which makes it less interesting than it would be if it could freely cycle.

Old Stickfingers
XBG
Legendary Creature - Horror

When you cast this card, reveal the top card of your library until you reveal X creature cards. Put all the creature cards revealed this way into your graveyard, and put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.

Old Stickfingers power and toughness are equal to the number of creature cards in your graveyard.
*/*

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Adeline, Brilliant Cathar
1WW
Legendary Creature - Human Knight
Vigilance

Adeline, Brilliant Cathar's power is equal to the number of creatures you control.

Whenever you attack, for each opponent, create a 1/1 white Human creature tapped and attacking that player or a planeswalker they control.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

resistentialism posted:

here's my ww homebrew:

The one-ofs are searchable by the ranger captain and each have their uses.

The sideboard is still very whatever.
Agree that this deck owns. Esper Sentinel into Luminarch or Thalia just straight up murders some decks.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MeinPanzer posted:

It still gets too be cast because it's already been cast. Casting is the action of putting the spell on the stack, you're thinking of resolving where the spell does its thing.
Veil works differently: it says is a spell has been cast you get to draw a card, and even a spell on the stack has been cast so if you respond you can draw your card. It also makes targets illegal and makes your spells uncounterable. So their spell will still resolve if it can (like an opt) but if you have hexpeoof from black it well counter athouthtseize because the single target, you, is illegal.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Ambicious Farmhand - 1W

Creature - Human Peasant

When ~ enters the battlefield, search your library for a basic Plains and put it into your hand, then shuffle.

Coven 1WW: Transform ~. Activate this only if you control three creatures with different powers.

1/1

Consummated Cathar

Creature - Human Knight

Lifelink

3/3

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Adeline, Brilliant Cathar
1WW
Legendary Creature - Human Knight
Vigilance

Adeline, Brilliant Cathar's power is equal to the number of creatures you control.

Whenever you attack, for each opponent, create a 1/1 white Human creature tapped and attacking that player or a planeswalker they control.

Mono white aggro is already tearing up the Standard 2022 queue and this is just a sweet addition there.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Vengeful Extermination

6WW

Sorcery
Vengeful Extermination costs 1 less to cast for each creature on the battlefield.

Destroy all creatures.

This seems way worse than Doomskar in most situations.

Most of the reason Blasphemous Act was good was because you'd have Boros Reckoner blasting your opponent for 13 damage when you cast it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

it ain't no tireless, but its...okay?

This is one case where they maybe shouldn't have done the 'remember this other card from last time?' thing and called it something else since it seems very playable on its own, just not Tireless Tracker playable