Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 365 days!

Schnorkles posted:

Multiple Idaho health districts have officially instituted triage this morning :peanut:

is...is that bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
The coherent attempted read on the data right now is that you won't get sick with a vaccine and that you won't spread it to your kids, because its pretty clear that delta is causing people who aren't death cultists to take stock of things like restaurants. One expects we might be getting the spicy economic data towards end month that suggests another downturn.

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

people still freaking out about covid after getting vaxxed need therapy, the chance of a breakthrough case is less than 1 in 7 Million (per minute)

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gio posted:

https://twitter.com/monicagandhi9/status/1435223571878481927?s=21

lol still thinking infecting massive amounts of people will end in anything other than mass death

if you think about it, since delta infects MORE people faster, that means LESS people will be infected later, since they already got infected and many of them are dead so there's less people to reinfect. no matter which way you cut it infection rates are gonna fall! so really delta sort of IS the vaccine

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gio posted:

lol still thinking infecting massive amounts of people will end in anything other than mass death

Israel is a good example of what happened

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

slippery doc posted:

holy poo poo

except

minor detail posted:

How small are the chances of the average vaccinated American contracting Covid? Probably about one in 5,000 per day, and even lower for people who take precautions or live in a highly vaccinated community.

lol, imagine being a NYT reporter and thinking you are being smart by doing this and not actively endangering yourself.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

kill me

https://twitter.com/bexone/status/1435230999353303043?s=20

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Gio posted:

blessed that delta is the final form of covid

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

"the chances of any breakthrough infections were a million to one," he said

but still they come

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

in general i think the risk to vaccinated people is somewhat overstated itt and there's pretty good science to support it, but i have no idea why i should put my child at risk for number when i can just take precautions and keep him healthy.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My wife has lost two family members to COVID in less than a week. Hardly anyone in our extended families is vaccinated.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
listen, if you're vaccinated but were still sick enough to need to go tot he ER, that is NOT hospitalization and actually, it's good and fine, and the ER is cheap anyway

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gio posted:

Didn't we just learn that Delta infection only gives you like 8 weeks of natural immunity

If we're not locking down for 8 weeks, then won't it just keep reinfecting the same people over and over again

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I wonder how the sleepy joe admin decided 8 months was the right number for booster shots?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

there seems to be this desire that "follow the science" leads to me quibbling over whether my child is at some risk or lots of risk in order to justify brunch and it just seems easier to not go to brunch??

idk, the world has gone insane.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i've seen enough 90% shots whiff in x-com to not trust rolling the dice

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I think I have arthritis in both my feet and ankles and some other old injuries are causing me trouble. I need to go to a doctor. RIP me I guess I’ll just live in pain for the next few months while the numbers climb or fall or they stop counting or whatever.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

McNugget Buddy posted:

Didn't we just learn that Delta infection only gives you like 8 weeks of natural immunity

If we're not locking down for 8 weeks, then won't it just keep reinfecting the same people over and over again

That is a silly conclusion. From that data the logical conclusion is that we should ensure everyone is infected within 8 weeks.

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003

is this saying 330 vaccinated people end up in the hospital per day?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Schnorkles posted:

there seems to be this desire that "follow the science" leads to me quibbling over whether my child is at some risk or lots of risk in order to justify brunch and it just seems easier to not go to brunch??

idk, the world has gone insane.

why do you hate brunch so much

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

schonorkles hates local businesses and experiences joy when they fail

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
trust in Allah but wear a mask.

https://twitter.com/meowmeowmia/status/1435093286096719880?s=20

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Serf posted:

i've seen enough 90% shots whiff in x-com to not trust rolling the dice
too many people think they're dan ryckert

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Everything is getting worse, there's an obvious concerted effort in the media to convince people this is fine, and we're fully opening the dining halls at my university next week.

I have to believe that the school admin is just lying and their plan is to do at least one more quarter almost fully remote. But that they won't tell anybody until the very last minute so they can keep all the non-refundable cash from the students.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

McNugget Buddy posted:

Where's that from?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Person in the cubicle next to me can't stop coughing every few minutes.

:rip:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
my kids are going back to school this Friday, what are the best and not insanely expensive at-home COVID tests I can buy so when I get the inevitable "a child in your classroom has been exposed to COVID" email I can act right away

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Solarin posted:

schonorkles hates local businesses and experiences joy when they fail

What kind of world will he leave for his kid, where he won't be able to get some eggs bennie at 11 am on Saturday?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

in the Before Times, me and my therapy dog visited sick kids at that hospital. It's a good one, for the area, and the doctors didn't have all the spirit beaten out of them back when we used to go :smith:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

why do you hate brunch so much

what gets me here is that i'm happy to engage in scientific terms or w/e with people about relative risk levels in an academic sense. I think we should have a solid, actual basis for knowing how contagious delta is in particular settings. the thing that makes zero sense to me is this continuing media narrative that you cannot have a lower risk tolerance than society at large for whatever reason. i understand the capital implications and that our system of commerce is hanging by a thread, but if number thinks the numbers are bad now wait until the hospital system detonates.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

McNugget Buddy posted:

lol natural immunity. USA is crossing their fingers hoping that vaccination and 2 or 3 mild infections will result in it being the common cold. yknow without any hard data to show this is true and will happen

neolib scientists and politicians who went whole hog on “look the vaccine prevents infection, open Biden” are seeing Delta gently caress their poo poo up and so a rolling back to “well we really just wanted to prevent hospitalization and death, and preventing infection is a super power that we didn’t think we’d have and so the vaccines are actually very good” without even once acknowledging the immunocompromised, those with comorbidities, the elderly, and children

so get vaccinated and hope it becomes a cold or maybe get a booster or like whatever and maybe by next spring it will just be like a cold or something - we ARE NOT shutting down the Applebee’s

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

"this is a risk level i do not feel comfortable exposing my unvacinnated child to"

"stop being so hysterical"

?

????

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

You know what the worst thing is?

I just got a call from my parents asking if I am looking into buying a house. As if there will be a future in the next 10 years. And every time I try to even hint at that, my parents just keep going on and on about how I need to be more positive and optimistic. I can't be optimistic BECAUSE THERE IS NO CAUSE FOR IT.

to be honest, 5 years from the end of the world is probably the best time to take out 30 year loans

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Schnorkles posted:

what gets me here is that i'm happy to engage in scientific terms or w/e with people about relative risk levels in an academic sense. I think we should have a solid, actual basis for knowing how contagious delta is in particular settings. the thing that makes zero sense to me is this continuing media narrative that you cannot have a lower risk tolerance than society at large for whatever reason. i understand the capital implications and that our system of commerce is hanging by a thread, but if number thinks the numbers are bad now wait until the hospital system detonates.

Honestly - in a practical sense - I kinda agree.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Are there still people claiming COVID isn't real at all, or have they all moved on to "It's a real virus but the vaccines are fake?"

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Louisgod posted:

my kids are going back to school this Friday, what are the best and not insanely expensive at-home COVID tests I can buy so when I get the inevitable "a child in your classroom has been exposed to COVID" email I can act right away

I have never used one but I believe Binax is your option.

Just be aware that anecdotally it sounds like testing on kids is extremely hit or miss so I’d read up on it a bit and make sure your timing is decent.

Also - calling Petey - when do you think the brain trust will have Airpops tested? it’s been my go to since you posted it.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Taking out a bunch of no interest until 2013 loans in expectation of never having to pay after 2012 comes. Heh, suckers!

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Schnorkles posted:

"this is a risk level i do not feel comfortable exposing my unvacinnated child to"

"stop being so hysterical"

?

????

You being unwilling to engage in that risk is undermining the entire project of constructing a new meta-reality that everything is fine and COVID's over for good people.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/09/01/masks-study-covid-bangladesh/

https://www.poverty-action.org/sites/default/files/publications/Mask_RCT____Symptomatic_Seropositivity_083121.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
A co-worker just shared that he's leaving for a new job that lets him do full remote. He's been my COVID doom buddy because I have a heart condition that puts me at risk and he has an asthmatic kid who he doesn't want to infect, so we were pretty loudly in the "gently caress this" section during return to the office discussions.

Obviously thrilled for him that he got remote work right on the cusp of the return date. But in talking to him about it, he's still holding out hope for a vaccine for kids and it's like... I don't know, I doom scroll this thread a lot and internalize the cruelty of this country's response but I just don't have the heart to tell a parent I don't think help for his kid is coming. Not like it makes a difference what I say anyway I suppose.