Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

Llanowar Visionary if you're like me and remember it as a 3/3 instead of a 2/2 lol. Disregard previous statement.

also it was a common lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

also it was a common lol

lol drat I'm dumb

This is cool. Even the second floor of 5 mana for a 3/3 haste guy that Snapcasters a 3cmc spell seems good to me.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 7, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
The white adversary is the only one where you get jack poo poo if your opponent kills you after you pay the cost, right?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

goferchan posted:

The white adversary is the only one where you get jack poo poo if your opponent kills you after you pay the cost, right?

So far, I think W is the anthem effect, B is zombies, U is phases, R is the Snapcaster and I don't think we've seen the G one yet. So yes, lol. I still think the White one is pretty good, probably even the best mana sink of them all maybe, and it also works arguably the best in multiples.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 7, 2021

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

fadam posted:

lol drat I'm dumb

This is cool. Even the second floor of 5 mana for a 3/3 haste guy that Snapcasters a 3cmc spell seems good to me.

More like a 2 mana 3/3 haste guy that Snapcasters a 3cmc spell, since Adversary lets you cast it for free

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Devor posted:

More like a 2 mana 3/3 haste guy that Snapcasters a 3cmc spell, since Adversary lets you cast it for free

True, but I guess you need the mana up front.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Every Adversary has been an absolute banger, really want to see the green one and get these into my cube ASAP.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Delver back, he's a moth now

https://twitter.com/JavierDmagic/status/1435280013360762882

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvtQYsckLxk

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I don't like the art

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Griselbrand at home:
https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1435271220577067011

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I love the flavor of that moth dude.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

mcmagic posted:

I don't like the art

Yeah old art is better. So this adds Delver to Pioneer and Historic, I don't think it will be particularly good in either of those formats though, they don't have the tools to protect it like Legacy has.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sinteres posted:

I love the flavor of that moth dude.

definitely another clue towards emrakul corrupting everything

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Was delver powerful in limited? just wondering about the rarity change.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Not that anyone probably thought this but lol Brainstorm ain't coming back to historic any time soon

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

neaden posted:

Yeah old art is better. So this adds Delver to Pioneer and Historic, I don't think it will be particularly good in either of those formats though, they don't have the tools to protect it like Legacy has.

Delver is awful in Modern so I doubt it would be good in powered down formats.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Isn’t delver not even seeing much play in legacy anymore?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

the Orb of Zot posted:

No, It's still one of the best decks like aways.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I can respect trying something new with an iconic card, but this ain't it chief.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I’m definitely gonna try just swapping delver for Phoenix in my UR lists. I suspect a bad Darcy is still historic playable.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I hope we get the current form of the original Delver in one of these two sets. I’ve really enjoyed that progression over time.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rinkles posted:

Was delver powerful in limited? just wondering about the rarity change.

From what I remember it wasnt good at all in 3x isd, and was probably worse when dark ascension was added. With more actual spells matters cards like thermo alchemist it could be better, but that remains to be seen.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Arivia posted:

definitely another clue towards emrakul corrupting everything

The ritual is going to free Emrakul who is going to appear and say "I knew you all liked me that's why I was summoned right?"
The plot of Crimson Vow will be the interpersonal drama of Emrakul's Vegan option on the menu.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I know Delver is not nearly the powerhouse it is without the eternal format cards that let you manipulate your library but it does make me giddy to see it reprinted

EDIT: It's too bad they didn't make the scientist guy look like Jeff Goldblum just a little bit, given the angle they're going with this one

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 7, 2021

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Bugsy posted:

From what I remember it wasnt good at all in 3x isd, and was probably worse when dark ascension was added. With more actual spells matters cards like thermo alchemist it could be better, but that remains to be seen.

Delver is insanely bad in limited. Drafting a limited deck with enough spells to actually flip delver even semi-reliably means you end up playing so, so many terrible instants and sorcery cards that could just be beaters

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

the Orb of Zot posted:

There's a few delver lists that have gone to 2 delvers or cut delver altogether. It's definitely still around in most lists though

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bugsy posted:

My guess is that it ends up being a fine build around in draft. I don't think it's unplayable or anything.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Delver is insanely bad in limited. Drafting a limited deck with enough spells to actually flip delver even semi-reliably means you end up playing so, so many terrible instants and sorcery cards that could just be beaters

If there's a format where there's a high density of spells that make creatures! Delver would be fine, but I agree that we haven't seen anything like that so far here.

I wonder how good Delver would have been in Strixhaven where you could comfortably play a deck with 15+ Instants and Sorceries.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1435250398395314177

I don't think this has been posted yet - big time LOL on the double pun here

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mike N Eich posted:

big time :chloe: more like

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mike N Eich posted:

It's sorcery speed?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Ux Spells matter is a pretty standard limited archetype that shows up in modern sets though. There aren't that many unplayable spells printed anymore.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

It's sorcery speed?

I guess they don't want to make the flip into a combat trick, so the whole "sac, then if" process has to happen at sorcery speed.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

mcmagic posted:

My guess is that it ends up being a fine build around in draft. I don't think it's unplayable or anything.

It will remain a trap for people with nostalgia, because spending even one or two picks to "build around" a 3/2 flying will make your overall deck worse.

It would need incidental synergy with an already good deck to even be decent. But I'm guessing if you see your opponent cast it, you will be happy, on average.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

ilmucche posted:

There's a few delver lists that have gone to 2 delvers or cut delver altogether. It's definitely still around in most lists though
Isn't that just because Ragavan is a ludicrous card? It's not in Historic so that isn't a factor.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Devor posted:

It will remain a trap for people with nostalgia, because spending even one or two picks to "build around" a 3/2 flying will make your overall deck worse.

It would need incidental synergy with an already good deck to even be decent. But I'm guessing if you see your opponent cast it, you will be happy, on average.

I'm assuming that there will be a spells matter limited archetype because there usually is.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Runechanters pike on invisible stalker was my jam. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Huxley posted:

I guess they don't want to make the flip into a combat trick, so the whole "sac, then if" process has to happen at sorcery speed.

I think they don't want to let you sac creatures that you just chump blocked with, or that just ate a kill spell. Or decayed zombies that just attacked.