Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The showrunner on WoT at least doesn't come from nowhere. His Wikipedia entry doesn't make him sound very impressive (wrote on some episodes of Agents of Shield and Chuck, was a contenstant on Survivor) but imdb clarifies that he was also the supervising producer on 22 episodes of Agents of Shield and a producer on Hemlock Grove, as well as the writer of 2 films in production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What does Dungeons & Dragons have to do with the writers' room on that other show?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Bongo Bill posted:

What does Dungeons & Dragons have to do with the writers' room on that other show?

It was all based on a tabletop game that they were playing, any similarities to a popular series of books were entirely coincidental

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

The showrunner on Wheel of Time has more experience than D&D did when they started Game of Thrones, so just cause the production hired someone with GoT credentials for the writers room doesn't mean the show is gonna be bad. Hopefully the showrunner will shut down any bad ideas he has.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

To uh, actually answer this question, it's a nickname for the two men who ran Game Of Thrones.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Good old Dave and Duster

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mage_Boy posted:

I haven't played it in a long time but it was interesting. It was a weird FPS with a lot of the WoT universe trappings around. Supposedly the multi-player was unique and very good but I never got to play it.

The multi-player was *great*. All the powers functioned with a slight delay and there were lots of counters so it functioned like a magic the gathering fps.

Only thing you couldn't counter was balefire but early 2000s net code made balefire " dangerous and almost impossible to control"

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Only thing you couldn't counter was balefire but early 2000s net code made balefire " dangerous and almost impossible to control"

Theoretical question, can you balefire yourself?!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

latinotwink1997 posted:

Theoretical question, can you balefire yourself?!

I think I recall managing it once or twice actually due to extreme lag -- shooting balefire and then running forward into the beam

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

:hmmyes:

I have the feeling I'm going to be a little lost in a lot of the WoT-on-Prime conversations, because I still haven't followed up on my friend's 2006-or-2007 recommendation of A Song of Ice and Fire. Everybody else is going to be comparing it to Game of Thrones.

Actually, now I'm curious: thread poll, how many other goons here haven't seen Game of Thrones?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I read the three books that were out in 2002 and then FfC in 2005 and that's it. Never seen a minute of the show, it being on HBO was probably the biggest factor but once it became real apparent that Grrm wasn't interested in writing more books my interest in the series in general died. And I remember being finished with FfC and wondering where the series was actually going overall, it seems like there was no real direction to the story and things were kinda just happening and while I understand that is appealing to some people it wasn't for 21 year old me so I just lost interest in aSaIaF overall.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Vavrek posted:

I have the feeling I'm going to be a little lost in a lot of the WoT-on-Prime conversations, because I still haven't followed up on my friend's 2006-or-2007 recommendation of A Song of Ice and Fire. Everybody else is going to be comparing it to Game of Thrones.

Actually, now I'm curious: thread poll, how many other goons here haven't seen Game of Thrones?

I have not. I decided to wait for the series to conclude before binging. And, well,

e: I also have not read the books, since my first encounter with them was when the dumb poo poo in them were already pervasively memetic

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Vavrek posted:

After reading the books I decided I'd watch the whole sjow at once when it was all finished. I still haven't bothered to watch any of it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I read the three books that were out in 2002 and then FfC in 2005 and that's it. Never seen a minute of the show

This is basically me, too. I never read the latest book, despite buying it because when I started I'd read the previous books years before and was almost instantly lost as to who half the people were. I never got around to the show, for one reason or another and probably never will now.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Huh, same here. Read the three books, then ffc, then had no interest at all in the show and still don't.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

It's really hard to recommend the GoT show to anyone, with how it ended. Even the good seasons are tainted with the knowledge that it goes nowhere and nothing means anything.

A major reason why Wheel of Time is interesting is that it's a massive story that actually has an ending that works well, and it ties up almost all of the characters, themes, and world elements into a cohesive whole. I'm trying to think of similar long works of fiction that end satisfyingly within their established story and the only other example I can think of is Breaking Bad?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Good Place. Babylon 5 possibly.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

GreenNight posted:

I was thinking of B5 but the last season was sort of messed up due to production problems, and wasn't really highly regarded, as far as I remember?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lost and Battlestar Galactica :unsmigghh:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, I mean it's been 15 years since I watched it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

GreenNight posted:

Babylon 5 is kind of a weird example, because it basically has two endings given how the show's season renewals ended up working out. Both are good for different reasons but the 4th season is really strong as a whole including the ending, while the 5th season as a whole is just okay but with a good ending. A good ending that loses some of it's bite if you listen to the director's comments on it (I think it was audio commentary, but his remarks on the future of the setting might have been in an interview or something).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You could say Fringe. Last season was divisive but I enjoyed it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

JOHN SKELETON posted:

It's really hard to recommend the GoT show to anyone, with how it ended. Even the good seasons are tainted with the knowledge that it goes nowhere and nothing means anything.

A major reason why Wheel of Time is interesting is that it's a massive story that actually has an ending that works well, and it ties up almost all of the characters, themes, and world elements into a cohesive whole. I'm trying to think of similar long works of fiction that end satisfyingly within their established story and the only other example I can think of is Breaking Bad?

If you ignore the comic books that came out later, I'd say Angel had nearly a perfect ending for the story they were telling.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Friday Night Lights

Also:

GreenNight posted:

The Good Place.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sab669 posted:

I'm not white knighting him, I'm just saying there are lots of legitimate things to criticize the show over and pretending like you know the entirety of the someone's job duties is a really dumb thing to use as the foundation for the rest of the criticism.

It's not really making it up while cloth. DnD gave an interview where they talked about promoting him to writer after he pitched the idea of Potato Boy killing Ygritte while delivering coffee. It's where 'This year Dave Hill is a writer on the show.' comes from. It got overused as a punchline to every bad decision on the show and might be blurred lines a little.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I think my favorite part of that story is that his idea was objectively worse than the source material, which has Jon discovering the body the next morning, and not knowing who fired the lethal arrow. The internal turmoil the character went through, not knowing whether or not to feel guilt, or hate his brothers...just really great story telling. But yeah instead let's have potato boy do it.

LOL

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vavrek posted:

I watched one episode and didn't care for it.

Some time later, a friend had a Game of Thrones themed fancy dress party, and those of us who didn't watch the show were assigned characters, so I know there's someone called "Bronn the sellsword" in it (whom I insisted on referring to as "Brian the arms dealer" because I am very funny).

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Do they have any known good writers on the show. It's not really something I've looked into, partly because I saw the show runner's credentials and was like, uh oh that sounds like The Golden Compass film levels of bad idea (don't know why I'm bagging on HDM adaptations so much in here, oh well).

I'll note that Witcher actually came off ok with (I think?) relatively unknown people so it doesn't necessarily mean it's the end of the world if there's no big star people involved in the production process.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
We’ll have to Rafe And Find Out

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I haven't read the books, but as a fantasy teevee fan I'm going to give my opinion anyway.

The aesthetics of this show are off. It has a "sitcom Hobbit" feel to it. I don't know the world or it's circumstances, but everyone in this are entirely too pretty and way too clean.

Perfect teeth, not a single dirt smudge on any surface, when compounded with pretty (maybe WIP) bog-standard CGI the whole thing looks sterile and lifeless. This world does not feel lived in at all.

I want this to be a wrong, bitter and cynical take. I want to be swept off my feel like the best seasons of GoT were able to do, but this just isn't looking great in my opinion.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The trailer mostly centres around the Aes Sedai and always being clean is kinda their thing

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I want fantasy shows to look like the fantasy art I grew up with. Bright, colorful, clean, weird. If anything, it's the last one that these shows never really hit for me. But dirt and grime? Why should realism be the goal with fantasy? This show doesn't take place in medieval Europe and has no need for historical accuracy because that term doesn't apply to this world. The grime worked for Game of Thrones because that show was about the ugliness inherent to that world. I don't want "grounded" fantasy. I want fantastical fantasy.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Vavrek posted:

Read the books and didn't really care for them tbh. Tried watching an episode or two and got bored of it real quick.

Also won't be watching this show :colbert:
On the 19th of November that is, too busy playing Endwalker lol

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The level of dirt and grime you see in stuff like Game of Thrones isn't really realistic anyway. People in the past washed themselves and their clothes less than we do, but that does not mean they didn't wash at all.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Rarity posted:

The trailer mostly centres around the Aes Sedai and always being clean is kinda their thing

And the starting vibe of the world is supposed to be the Shire from LOTR on a good day anyway. No cause for concern yet.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

So there actually is a canon criticism of the aesthetic...

One of the key distinctions between pre- and post-breaking was that the world became dirty, grim and unpleasant. Prior to the Breaking there was no war, no crime, and the world was a utopia.

That being said Emond's Field was always described as a pretty cheery, isolated place, that did their best. And the Aes Sedai absolutely are extremely clean and Tar Valon is a picturesque paradise (especially compared to everywhere else, which is pretty lovely) because the Aes Sedai are venal and corrupt. The test will be when we see Caemlyn or any of the Borderlands. The Borderlands are basically muddy military camps.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I haven't read the books, but as a fantasy teevee fan I'm going to give my opinion anyway.

The aesthetics of this show are off. It has a "sitcom Hobbit" feel to it. I don't know the world or it's circumstances, but everyone in this are entirely too pretty and way too clean.

Perfect teeth, not a single dirt smudge on any surface, when compounded with pretty (maybe WIP) bog-standard CGI the whole thing looks sterile and lifeless. This world does not feel lived in at all.

I want this to be a wrong, bitter and cynical take. I want to be swept off my feel like the best seasons of GoT were able to do, but this just isn't looking great in my opinion.

The aesthetics match the book covers, which had a high fantasy, super colorful vibe to them. It was very 90s, but also more realistic than everyone wearing exclusively black leather or potato sacks.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

This is really entering spoiler territory but, re: aesthetics: (spoiler for general book arcs) it's important for everything to look very nice and clean and good at the start of the series, so they have room to really send things downhill in to a tailspin as the seals weaken and the dark one is able to touch the world more and more. Tar Valon fills with trash, the wards against vermin fail, etc. There are also cities and areas that are not nearly as nice as the ones shown in the trailer. Tear's maule district, the areas in civil war in the west, etc.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Who said fantasy means grime, anyway? I want to give that person a piece of my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

If you work in the fields all day I'd expect to see some dirt on you. Not to mention a serious tan.