Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The Polestar 2 looks amazing but the nearest outlet / dealership is 6 hours away. I would contemplate pulling the trigger on one otherwise

:(

Wait does the Polestar 2 have a special snowflake connector instead of the CCS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wait does the Polestar 2 have a special snowflake connector instead of the CCS?

No, by outlet he means no place to buy one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Looks like the only service locations are in NYC, LA, SF, and San Jose. I'm in OK so unless they put one in Dallas, Denver, or KC that sort of cuts me out. Sucks because my old car is nearing the end of its life. If I could squeeze another year or 2 out of it I'm sure the landscape will be different then.

There will be spaces in the first two for sure, both cities are on their announced roadmap.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cruft posted:

Also garages in Hawaii

I grew up in Phoenix and don't think that I ever saw a single garage that was anything other than an oven in the summer. A lot of carports too

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Indiana_Krom posted:

Because they didn't tell the "FSD preview" to show them on the screen since they stopped adding stuff to that like immediately after they got the car to show trashcans. If you want a view showing more of what it sees, look up the FSD beta videos on YT and have a look at its visualization which is far more comprehensive.

Basically it is a garbage feature because it only shows garbage cans even if it sees pretty much everything else.

Thanks for this answer, I have seen a couple of the FSD videos and it does show a lot more stuff. I just found the garbage can, garbage can, garbage can, stop sign on this video amusing :v:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Indiana_Krom posted:

Basically it is a garbage feature because it only shows garbage cans even if it sees pretty much everything else.

The only time I benefit from my car displaying what it can see is traffic lights when the sun's glare directly lines up with that light.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

QuarkJets posted:

I grew up in Phoenix and don't think that I ever saw a single garage that was anything other than an oven in the summer. A lot of carports too

South Florida is the same. That said, my garage door gets direct sunlight basically from 1pm till the sun goes down. Installing an insulated door dropped the garage temps a good 15°. Still a humid broiler, but you can actually do stuff out there without wanting to die immediately.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

My wife and I are looking into getting either a Model 3 Performance, or a Polestar 2 right now, and I wanted to ask a few questions among some people with experiencing owning electric cars in general as it will be our first.

Basically, we both agree that the exterior styling is a wash between the two, the interior of the Polestar looks way better, and the performance of the Model 3 is definitely better. The biggest question we have though is, how valuable is having access to the Tesla charging network in practice? We don't do a ton of driving day to day, but we do take 3-600 mile trips several times a year, and it does seem like the Tesla would have a big advantage there in terms of quick charging along the way. What is the general experience like on longer trips, both with a Tesla and with different brands?

In terms of charging at home, it generally seems like just plugging it in to an ordinary outlet overnight is fine?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

toadee posted:

My wife and I are looking into getting either a Model 3 Performance, or a Polestar 2 right now, and I wanted to ask a few questions among some people with experiencing owning electric cars in general as it will be our first.

Basically, we both agree that the exterior styling is a wash between the two, the interior of the Polestar looks way better, and the performance of the Model 3 is definitely better. The biggest question we have though is, how valuable is having access to the Tesla charging network in practice? We don't do a ton of driving day to day, but we do take 3-600 mile trips several times a year, and it does seem like the Tesla would have a big advantage there in terms of quick charging along the way. What is the general experience like on longer trips, both with a Tesla and with different brands?

In terms of charging at home, it generally seems like just plugging it in to an ordinary outlet overnight is fine?

I feel like this doesn't get discussed enough, and it's a super important thing to consider. So good for you for thinking about it.

I have a Nissan Leaf and a Tesla Model 3, and the charging network (and integration into the car's navigation system) is a world of difference. The Leaf is sort of like buying a gas car in a country with one gas station every 80 miles. The Tesla is like that too, except the car plans out your entire trip for you, including charging stops, right there in the car, and tells you if the wind is stiffer than it expected that you need to slow down to make it there on your battery. The Tesla system also tells you how many stalls are open at each station, and how long the wait is going to be, if there's going to be a wait. And the pricing is consistent: you don't arrive at a charger and then discover they're going to bill you $7 for 20 miles of range (this has happened to me with the Leaf).

When we are finally ready to sell cruft jr's Leaf we'll be replacing it with a Tesla, and the lousy non-Tesla charging network in Southern New Mexico is a major factor. It might even be the main factor.

Bear in mind the Leaf has an 89-mile range, and this may be coloring my experience. But based on what I'm reading here about how everybody else charges, I feel like taking a Tesla on a road trip is a different experience in some fundamental ways.

If you live somewhere with a good build-out of non-Tesla chargers, I probably sound like I'm insane. So this is going to vary a lot based on where you are. Since you mentioned taking road trips (we take a lot of road trips too) it's probably more relevant.

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 7, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

toadee posted:

What is the general experience like on longer trips, both with a Tesla and with different brands?

It is two different planets. It's huge difference even here in Norway where the non-Tesla networks are fairly numerous, distances are short and speed limits are low. Not only are there more locations but there are more chargers per location, they are more reliable, much easier to use, cheaper and charge faster.

toadee posted:

Maxing out a regular 110V wall circuit isn't good, you risk overheating. If you limit the charge amps to what's safely within the continuous load of the fuse, it will be very slow. A NEMA 14-50 or hard wired EVSE is the thread recommendation I believe.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Ola posted:

It is two different planets. It's huge difference even here in Norway where the non-Tesla networks are fairly numerous, distances are short and speed limits are low. Not only are there more locations but there are more chargers per location, they are more reliable, much easier to use, cheaper and charge faster.

Maxing out a regular 110V wall circuit isn't good, you risk overheating. If you limit the charge amps to what's safely within the continuous load of the fuse, it will be very slow. A NEMA 14-50 or hard wired EVSE is the thread recommendation I believe.

cruft posted:

I feel like this doesn't get discussed enough, and it's a super important thing to consider. So good for you for thinking about it.

I have a Nissan Leaf and a Tesla Model 3, and the charging network (and integration into the car's navigation system) is a world of difference. The Leaf is sort of like buying a gas car in a country with one gas station every 80 miles. The Tesla is like that too, except the car plans out your entire trip for you, including charging stops, right there in the car, and tells you if the wind is stiffer than it expected that you need to slow down to make it there on your battery. The Tesla system also tells you how many stalls are open at each station, and how long the wait is going to be, if there's going to be a wait. And the pricing is consistent: you don't arrive at a charger and then discover they're going to bill you $7 for 20 miles of range (this has happened to me with the Leaf).

When we are finally ready to sell cruft jr's Leaf we'll be replacing it with a Tesla, and the lousy non-Tesla charging network in Southern New Mexico is a major factor. It might even be the main factor.

Bear in mind the Leaf has an 89-mile range, and this may be coloring my experience. But based on what I'm reading here about how everybody else charges, I feel like taking a Tesla on a road trip is a different experience in some fundamental ways.

If you live somewhere with a good build-out of non-Tesla chargers, I probably sound like I'm insane. So this is going to vary a lot based on where you are. Since you mentioned taking road trips (we take a lot of road trips too) it's probably more relevant.

Good info both, thanks!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
There's a substantial bank of EVGo Fast Chargers at the Encinitas, CA city hall ... but they are in a blocked off area no one can access ... for months now.

Why did they bother to install them?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tesla's charging network seems like it's probably worth more as an asset than everything else they have right now. Because of this question I went onto plugshare and checked out Southern New Mexico again. There are finally a few CCS L3 stations being worked on, but oddly, nothing on I-25 still. It seems Allsups, which is actually the largest employer in Eastern NM, has gotten some grant money to install chargers. So they're getting build in smaller towns on state roads.

I think in 5 years it could be a different story, the L3 buildout is really picking up momentum. But for now, Tesla's pretty far out ahead of everybody else.

For the time being, there is no way for me to get the Leaf to El Paso. Like, there just doesn't exist a route I can take without having to get it towed, or spending a full day charging. A Polestar won't have this problem due to its better range, but if you can envision taking a road trip where it's 150+ miles between gas stations, that's pretty much the situation here. And that's worth taking into account if you do lots of road trips.

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 7, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cruft posted:

For the time being, there is no way for me to get the Leaf to El Paso.

Either map out some overnight stays with L2 or team up with an Ioniq 5 which can serve like an air to air tanker. :v:

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Electrical setup question here: I have a 100A main breaker in the garage with 2 free slots. Is the electrical setup just as running an additional 50 amp line and NEMA 14-50 outlet from the breaker, or are there usually code considerations regarding how many high current circuits you can have on a breaker (US)?

I'm not trying to do this myself, I'm just curious to know how much work it would be to put in an EV charging circuit.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Tesla’s rolling out granting non-Tesla cars access to their supercharger network with the Netherlands being the first so that’s nice.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

There's a substantial bank of EVGo Fast Chargers at the Encinitas, CA city hall ... but they are in a blocked off area no one can access ... for months now.

Are we posting "why is this here" public chargers?

https://www.plugshare.com/location/289975 will be my first submission. $10 per charge for non-members, $7 per charge for members. The CHAdeMO plug is so screwed up it doesn't make a contact half the time, so really you're looking at more like $20 or $14 per charge, since "I saw a car but didn't give it anything" still counts as a charge. And buddy you had better hope nobody comes up and hits "stop" while you're shopping.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Tesla’s rolling out granting non-Tesla cars access to their supercharger network with the Netherlands being the first so that’s nice.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If it turns out fine, I'd rather buy a MEB than a Tesla, which I suspect they know. There might be some extra hurdle or limitation they've yet to reveal.

With regards to charging networks, Teslas are even more useful in Europe than in America, because not only is their own charging network big, but because of OEM CCS or CCS adapters, they can also use all the other networks.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

toadee posted:

I rented a Model 3 for a roadtrip through Turo to try it out and it was great. I'd like to try it with a non-Tesla for the experience but I'm looking at it now to see if there are non-Teslas, but none that are pet-friendly (I've adopted a dog since that first trip).

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ola posted:

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If it turns out fine, I'd rather buy a MEB than a Tesla, which I suspect they know. There might be some extra hurdle or limitation they've yet to reveal.

With regards to charging networks, Teslas are even more useful in Europe than in America, because not only is their own charging network big, but because of OEM CCS or CCS adapters, they can also use all the other networks.

I will be first in line when they start selling an adapter to let you plug a CCS charger into a US Tesla. I think some third party is selling one for about $800 but it's gigantic.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Electrical setup question here: I have a 100A main breaker in the garage with 2 free slots. Is the electrical setup just as running an additional 50 amp line and NEMA 14-50 outlet from the breaker, or are there usually code considerations regarding how many high current circuits you can have on a breaker (US)?

I'm not trying to do this myself, I'm just curious to know how much work it would be to put in an EV charging circuit.

Pretty sure this will depend on how many slots you have available (or how many slots that can take tandems are currently not tandem breakers) as well as what kind of loads you already have in your house.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

They've been fenced off for years as best I can tell.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

So EA was giving out free charging this weekend, and I think they've done this before on previous holiday weekends. My :tinfoil: sense makes me wonder if they know their billing system is complete rear end and putting it in free vend mode is an effort to avoid long lines/customer complaints.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

just discovered the Volvo C40 that's coming out next year. I like it a lot.

Assumed this was a wagon before I hit play and then was very disappointed.

Right now the only wagon expected is the VW with an ETA of '23 I think :sigh:

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
A lot of new Rivian info is coming out ahead of the first deliveries this month.

MotorTrend drive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQXuaWWriDM

EPA range:
https://electrek.co/2021/09/03/rivian-large-pack-epa-range-numbers-are-in-314-miles-70-mpge/

quote:

Rivian has released the EPA range rating for their upcoming R1T and R1S electric truck and SUV. For vehicles with the “large pack” configuration, the R1T pickup truck will have a range of 314 miles and 70mpg and the R1S SUV will have a near-identical 316 miles of range and get 69mpge.

quote:

These numbers announced today are only for the “large pack,” and Rivian plans to offer an additional “max pack” configuration of the R1T for an additional $10,000.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Qwijib0 posted:

In Volvo model numbering C was coupe/hatch/convertible, S is sedan and V is wagon (for versatile iirc)

Then the XC stuff gently caress it all up. Inconsistent car model numbering/lettering is one of my pet peeves :haw:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Qwijib0 posted:

unless you're not in NA i have bad news about the Space Vizzion

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

They have a V60 plug in hybrid, but it's pretty eyewateringly expensive. Something like $70k CAD.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Finger Prince posted:

They have a V60 plug in hybrid, but it's pretty eyewateringly expensive. Something like $70k CAD.

The electric range is shockingly low too, like 30km? It's just a toe dipped in the pool, seemingly. I love the V60 styling though. Unfortunately I could NOT fit behind the wheel of one when I was looking in 2015, couldn't get my legs in there (I'm a tall freak).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Looks like the only service locations are in NYC, LA, SF, and San Jose. I'm in OK so unless they put one in Dallas, Denver, or KC that sort of cuts me out. Sucks because my old car is nearing the end of its life. If I could squeeze another year or 2 out of it I'm sure the landscape will be different then.

They have a lot more service points now, here's the full list. There's one in Denver

https://www.polestar.com/us/service-and-assistance

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

priznat posted:

The electric range is shockingly low too, like 30km? It's just a toe dipped in the pool, seemingly. I love the V60 styling though. Unfortunately I could NOT fit behind the wheel of one when I was looking in 2015, couldn't get my legs in there (I'm a tall freak).

The new one (2019 onwards I think) is based on the V90 platform and is a lot bigger. The old one lost so much of it's load space to batteries there was almost no point.
They still get something awful like 20mpg when running on petrol alone (i.e. 30 miles into your family holiday). The old diesel hybrid V90 did much better there but was even more expensive to maintain.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Did the type 1 connector exist in meaningful production before type 2?

If not, then why the hell does anyone use type 1 than to provide an intentional incompatibility between US and RoW-spec EVs?

I was wondering if anyone had swapped a CCS connector on to a US-spec Model 3 until I realized it was different here.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Wayne Knight posted:

So EA was giving out free charging this weekend, and I think they've done this before on previous holiday weekends. My :tinfoil: sense makes me wonder if they know their billing system is complete rear end and putting it in free vend mode is an effort to avoid long lines/customer complaints.

I went to 4 different EA locations and got 85 kwh of free power this weekend. The only issue I saw was at one location where a Mach-E pulled up in the next charger over and the screen said it didn't have network access, he moved to another charger which immediately gave him some error message when he plugged in, he then called EA and was on hold for at least 10 minutes before hanging up and going to yet another charger (which was in a completely different aisle for some reason) where he was finally able to charge.
Last time EA had a free weekend my girlfriend tried using them, went through the Mach-E's troubles almost exactly, and swore to never use them again, even for free.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

wolrah posted:

Yeah, the first Leaves had it. Doesn't support 3-phase.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

wolrah posted:

If not, then why the hell does anyone use type 1 than to provide an intentional incompatibility between US and RoW-spec EVs?

I was wondering if anyone had swapped a CCS connector on to a US-spec Model 3 until I realized it was different here.

The Type 1 vs 2 difference is simply revolves around US's J1772 (Type 1) and EU's Mennekes (Type 2). I don't think the incompatibility between the two was intentional. The good thing is it is possible to buy CCS 1/2 adapters.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

toadee posted:

I think you could try simulating this. Go to the A Better Routeplanner website and try to plan trips you've done before or might do in the future with different EVs.

Cruft's Leaf-problems reminded me of a story I read in a car magazine few years ago. A pair of surfer girls decided to do a road trip from Helsinki to Biarriz with a Leaf. They managed it, but not quickly and without issues. ABRP found a route too, 41 charging stops.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

cruft posted:

Tesla's charging network seems like it's probably worth more as an asset than everything else they have right now. Because of this question I went onto plugshare and checked out Southern New Mexico again. There are finally a few CCS L3 stations being worked on, but oddly, nothing on I-25 still. It seems Allsups, which is actually the largest employer in Eastern NM, has gotten some grant money to install chargers. So they're getting build in smaller towns on state roads.

I think in 5 years it could be a different story, the L3 buildout is really picking up momentum. But for now, Tesla's pretty far out ahead of everybody else.

For the time being, there is no way for me to get the Leaf to El Paso. Like, there just doesn't exist a route I can take without having to get it towed, or spending a full day charging. A Polestar won't have this problem due to its better range, but if you can envision taking a road trip where it's 150+ miles between gas stations, that's pretty much the situation here. And that's worth taking into account if you do lots of road trips.

As someone familiar with southern New Mexico, that's a place where I wouldn't own a BEV as my only car given the distances involved and limited charging infrastructure. Southern New Mexico also has some wonderful driving roads in the Lincoln National Forest, and it'd be hard to take advantage of those roads with a BEV.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

toadee posted:

A good way to sum up the current state of charging networks is the car and driver 1000 mile EV race they did earlier this year:
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a36877585/ev-1000-11-electric-cars-long-distance-race/
TLDR: The top three were all Teslas thanks to the superiority of the supercharging network which this race made quite obvious.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

McPhearson posted:

I went to 4 different EA locations and got 85 kwh of free power this weekend. The only issue I saw was at one location where a Mach-E pulled up in the next charger over and the screen said it didn't have network access, he moved to another charger which immediately gave him some error message when he plugged in, he then called EA and was on hold for at least 10 minutes before hanging up and going to yet another charger (which was in a completely different aisle for some reason) where he was finally able to charge.
Last time EA had a free weekend my girlfriend tried using them, went through the Mach-E's troubles almost exactly, and swore to never use them again, even for free.

Incredible.

QuarkJets posted:

They have a lot more service points now, here's the full list. There's one in Denver

https://www.polestar.com/us/service-and-assistance

lmao I looked to see where the closest one to me was. (I live in the Seattle area)
- The entry is titled "Bellevue"
- The map shows Tukwila
- The address is in Fife

For those unfamiliar with the area:

Edit: oh my god when you click "Get Directions" it takes you to an acura dealer on google maps

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Wayne Knight posted:

Edit: oh my god when you click "Get Directions" it takes you to an acura dealer on google maps

Lexus dealer, but yeah...

They should just say seattle instead if they're at the point of saying it's in the vague vicinity of a city

Edit: https://www.polestar-forum.com/threads/polestar-bellevue.3233/#post-62159 apparently it's the volvo dealer, which I guess makes sense

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 7, 2021