Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Welcome back to The MiniSec Ecocide Museum! And pack your bags, because we're going on a guilt trip! (January 7-11, 2008)

Meanwhile, 2011 gives us another week of people talking in featureless rooms. (February 7-11, 2011)

And at this point, I made my masterpiece. :D

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I know this site is old, but I've never seen it before and it's amazing, I've been wasting the last couple of hours on it. The person who ran it posted their 25 favorite stories and these two descriptions were great:

Yeah, it was pretty awesome when I stumbled across the Encyclopedia Brown Encyclopedia tumblr a couple months back when trying to find an Encyclopedia Brown wiki. The synopses are hilarious, and it was well worth wrangling the nightmare that is attempting to read a tumblr in chronological order.

My own favorite from the list of the top 25 :

The Encyclopedia Brown Encyclopedia posted:

20) The Case of the Astronaut Duck – A man gathered a bunch of children so that he could raise money for a space voyage where he and his pet duck will travel to other galaxies. Encyclopedia nor his friend (who had a great interest in space travel) didn’t find question how fantastically impossible flying to another galaxy would be. Instead, Encyclopedia honed in on the fact that a duck cannot survive in zero gravity.

I was kind of stunned that I couldn't find an actual Encyclopedia Brown wiki, but I guess the fact that it's all short mystery stories that are still deep in copyright make it a less likely target.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 7, 2021

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
oh_its_on_now.jpg

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I love Wallace's parents so much. :allears:

The one Encyclopedia Brown story that stayed with me after I read it involved someone claiming they had just driven a long distance, but someone else took their toddler and let it stand on the hood of the car, which would have been too hot for the kid to be on happily had it been driven.

Scary Gary

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I might need to hold onto this in case I need another avatar change at some point in the future. :allears:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
lmao at short legs dude in Dharma and Wilbur's sad-mad about cats walk

and holy poo poo Jules we get it Exploding Boats. Mark Trail might have the single worst narration box in comics right now.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

maltesh posted:

Encyclopedia Brown and the Duck Astronaut

The link you provided says that it's from a 2007 Encyclopedia Brown book. I'm frankly stunned they were still making new ones that late. I guess I shouldn't be, but, like, I really think of it as a product of the 70s and 80s.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Johnny Walker posted:

F Minus

I'm with her.

VIVA LA REVOLUCION

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Bobulus posted:

The link you provided says that it's from a 2007 Encyclopedia Brown book. I'm frankly stunned they were still making new ones that late. I guess I shouldn't be, but, like, I really think of it as a product of the 70s and 80s.
This got me too. Apparently the last book was published in 2012!

It does seem stuck in the 70s though, since part of the guy's scam with the duck astronaut was getting kids to pay 50 cents to hear him talk about space travel. It just feels like from a time when 50 cents was something.

The whole scam, including the $50 for the honor of caring for the duck, would net him maybe $60 if he's lucky. Like, that's nice for a few hours of work but not gonna do a lot for you, and doesn't include the cost of an astronaut helmet for a duck either.

They may have had unpublished stories that they just put out in later years, but I bet they just hired ghostwriters and told them to stick to the original feel of the stories, including how dated they seem today in many ways.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 7, 2021

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

As a FOA, I Recognize That The Myers-Briggs Test is Pseudoscience Horseshit with No Scientific Basis

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

EBB posted:

Aww poor baby had to sit on the tarmac for an entire hour

Tell me about it. A couple of summers ago, before COVID came along and everything went to hell, a line of storms across the midwest hosed up nationwide air traffic something awful and I got stuck in JFK for 13 hours waiting for a flight out. When we finally got a plane, we we were in line on the tarmac for takeoff for another couple of hours. All of this for like a 45-minute flight to Burlington, VT. I could have loving WALKED there in the amount of time I waited (or at the very least, rented a car and driven there).

Ed can shut right the hell up, I guess is what I'm saying.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hostile V posted:

As a FOA, I Recognize That The Myers-Briggs Test is Pseudoscience Horseshit with No Scientific Basis

Ah, a fellow Forensic Obscenity Astrologer

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Dec 25, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 14-15, 1989)

Blind Alley

https://kumerish.com/blind-alley

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wilbur and Ulfrun get hosed. >:(

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "244 - Jucika And The Christmas Tree"

Considering the extent of Tree Law this seems a really old fashioned harsh but fair.

quote:

up to a $500 fine and six months in jail(US/California)

Daaaamn.

"245 - Jucika Is Celebrating"

help i've been doxxed

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (January 12-13, 1934)

Peanuts (September 9-10, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater bows to the inevitable plot twist. (April 7-8, 1938)

Out Our Way (April 26-28, 1937)

Toonerville Folks (January 10-12, 1918)

Dok's "It Takes A Strong Mind To Get Better Contract Lawyers Than They Have In Hell" Duck (October 5, 1913)

Little Lefty, in which those sneaky Commies steal The Family Circus dotted line 25 years before Bil Keane even started. (April 18-20, 1935)

--KEY--
(A) Finally decides to see Lefty.
(B) Hops over fire-plug.
(C) Looks af filthy "ball field".
(D)(E) and (F) Runs around trying to get dizzy.
(G) Chases stray cat.
(H) Turns back. Wonders. Tosses a coin. YES or NO. NO wins, but Butch decides to go anyway to Lefty's home.

Blondie From Zero, in which the cat's out of the bag for our heroine, but she's still got an Ace to play. (January 22-24, 1931)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 8, 2021

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

I’m glad for Jeremy that he’s come to fully embrace his cuckold fetish.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! September 12, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True October 21, 1918

Gay and Her Gang October 19, 1929

Oaky Doaks March 21, 1936

Mopsy May 22, 1937

Up Front July 3, 1944

Dark Laughter July 10, 1948

Those Were the Days February 2, 1956

Wee Pals December 10, 1965

Dogbert May 2, 1966

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today'searlier-than-usual Blueberry: The band gets back together, or Jethro plots..., or Jethro rolls a twenty on his charisma check

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: a shocking reveal (June 30 - July 6, 2003)

:monocle:

Surely there'll be no consequences for all this.

(No, really, there will be no consequences. Not for the main characters, at least.)

Also I wish to point out: it was an amazing coincidence that Kevin and Kell, while exploring the rabbit warren looking for clues, managed to run into the one sibling of his who was involved in Rabbit's Revenge. Like, what were the chances?

Modern Kevin & Kell

Mikl fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 8, 2021

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Wow Batiuk really puts effort into filling in the background with unimportant clutter!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

fondue posted:

B Kliban

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHytjEj7B9g

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

I've been getting Heathcliff from the syndicate website all week bc the gocomics ones are all extremely dark still, check this out

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

This hiding storyline is honestly pretty tiresome, especially since the motive isn't super clear. If I've understood correctly, Ester believes that Bernhard would never repent and find salvation, if she was back with his father. In the book she reads him religious writings, which he first despises, but learns to appreciate.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (December 15, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (December 15, 1999)

Garfield Classic (December 15, 1989)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

lmao

A&J is so consistently good, it's amazing :allears:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 23, 1947)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis hoooooo boy here we go

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

:getin: and lol that one of the pro-maskers is dicknosing

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

:yikes:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Was "drive-by barking" too controversial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vargo posted:

Curtis hoooooo boy here we go

Oh phew, I'm glad Curtis cleared up what was happening. I wasn't sure.