Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

mystes posted:

It would be ironic if complacency about covid means we're even slower to act when a worse variant comes about that the vaccines don't work on then we were the first time in 2020.

I don't think the current response time of over 1½ years and running, is going to be beat. Aaany day now.

Fur tax edit:

Pingui fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1435200650804146177

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those preprint titers are comparable to Pfizer's internal numbers against Beta, so I'd think a 3rd dose of Pfizer would also be enough to neutralize Mu

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Added some more little animations for the disease spreading in my Covid simulator. I think tonight I'm going to step back from coding and creating assets, and just focus on how to make this a really fun sandbox :)

https://i.imgur.com/F38khem.gifv

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Has anyone ever noticed that those who want rational debate about ideas always want those ideas that would kill the most people debated and thought about ?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

shackleford posted:

they only had 8 convalescent plasmas and 10 pfizer vaccinee plasmas.

~8 fold reduction is about on the threshold of needing to update the vaccine strain in case it takes off, iirc.

get boosted

good thing our letter agencies won’t be flat footed

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

if only..........

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Coldrice posted:

Added some more little animations for the disease spreading in my Covid simulator. I think tonight I'm going to step back from coding and creating assets, and just focus on how to make this a really fun sandbox :)

owns

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
why does biden need to charge up for an entire week before he can make a speech about covid

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
well not quite ready to post the sega rally game over screen but we’re getting close

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Mr Hootington posted:

Has anyone ever noticed that those who want rational debate about ideas always want those ideas that would kill the most people debated and thought about ?

I think "rational" in this context is code for "without your silly humanitarian sensibilities".

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Casey Finnigan posted:

why does biden need to charge up for an entire week before he can make a speech about covid

wonder how long he talks for

I'd put the O/U on 8 minutes, maybe.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Coldrice posted:

make some of the people have chat bubbles with dumb cdc quotes at random

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Casey Finnigan posted:

Yeah it seems kinda silly when the Disney animatronic is so much more lifelike anyways.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Atrocious Joe posted:

The Chuds saying "cloth masks are pointless" aren't exactly wrong, but libs are too spineless to come back and say we should all at least have N95s
brb gonna go jerkoff to a national mask mandate with gov provided n95s to all on a weekly basis alongside loving checks $$$ to comply
invoke p(enis) and a hard(core) lockdown

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

In a sense, I'm "accepting living with covid" in that it's pretty clear society as a whole is not up to the community health challenge the disease poses, and the forces at work to normalize a shocking death toll as just another cost of modern life are stronger than any rational collective response. At best you can look after your own health as much as your personal circumstances and the market allows, making only a marginal difference compared to everything falling apart around you. Basically the same assessment you've got to make for climate change, just on a shorter timescale.

At this point, if I had to guess, the "return to normal" or "post-covid" will actually be when some even more terrible crisis ripens. Climate change is getting us there with all the extreme weather events everyone's finally noticing, but we might still be a few years off, so there's still room for civil or economic collapse to get in there first and force covid onto the back-burner. Having personal protection equipment and mitigating risky behaviour will be just more stuff you have to do to get by.

Or hey maybe we get the Pandemic option and Covid Omega flips the switch to a kill-rate that'll leave only the bean-hoarders in its wake, why not.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Pingui posted:

I think "rational" in this context is code for "without your silly humanitarian sensibilities".

People have been using the word 'rational' to mean 'sociopathic' for a while now.

Coldrice posted:

This is really loving cool. It's so nice to have so many talented people here, just hangin' out and watching the collapse of society and the slow end of the world, together.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 7, 2021

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Of course a system that tangibly rewards sociopathy is going to select leadership that's cool with killing everyone lol

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

I did an observation in a preschool today and they were all wearing masks. It's fine.

mystes
May 31, 2006

skewetoo posted:

Of course a system that tangibly rewards sociopathy is going to select leadership that's cool with killing everyone lol
I mean even if the system doesn't actively select sociopaths, at best Biden is like the American centrist hive mind given flesh, so what do you expect.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Greg Legg posted:

I did an observation in a preschool today and they were all wearing masks. It's fine.

i legitimately don't understand how wearing a mask could have any downsides at all. it's like saying that wearing pants has an established educational cost

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

At what point are you allowed to punch her in self-defense?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Stereotype posted:

i legitimately don't understand how wearing a mask could have any downsides at all. it's like saying that wearing pants has an established educational cost

Legitimately in awe how much people hate masks. Like, we got off lucky that mask wearing is as effective as it is at limiting transmission but no having to wear one is the worst thing to ever happen to people.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Shadowhand00 posted:

pretty sure she crossed that line in most states, absolutely self-defense

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Thanks for all the kind words guys!

Also, Washington numbers are finally updated. I'm sure things are doing well...

oh

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

McNugget Buddy posted:

Those preprint titers are comparable to Pfizer's internal numbers against Beta, so I'd think a 3rd dose of Pfizer would also be enough to neutralize Mu

Looking at the supplementary material for the Mu neutralization study and it looks like the vaccinated sera was obtained 1 month after their second dose. So high antibody levels still, but relatively "immature" antibodies. It's possible a few additional months of affinity maturation, along with a booster shot to increase overall antibody levels, would provide protection against Mu as was already observed in the Pfizer booster results against Beta. Maybe!

So the vaccines might still be working against Mu, but it could actually take several months to develop significant protection as opposed to the 6 weeks measured in the original clinical trials. Something to think about for all those parents that have yet to get their <12 yo kids vaccinated.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 8, 2021

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://i.imgur.com/qalHju0.mp4

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/bbcworldservice/status/1434882250798247937?s=20

We have to remember that our reaction to any trauma, is an echo of our reaction to past traumas.

COVID is over, freaking out about it is trauma and people should reach out. There is no evil pandemic.

Please have the courage to seek help.

Resist! Resist this bullshit mental health vomit. Stay angry! Stay angry and alert my friends!

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Goobish posted:

I missed the conversation on plague hobbies awhile back, but does anyone have a good book suggestion for herbalism in the US? Besides just weed lol

i took a class on medical ethnobotany as an undergrad. the lab reader had medicinal uses of plants and listed plants by their geography. i can’t find a link to the pdf of the lab reader online, but i found a print shop that will ship a copy. $17 + shipping

https://www.24hrproprint.com/readers-fall-2021/ you want the 117 lab manual, i believe.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Stereotype posted:

if bernie sanders won everything would have been solved by now. if you didn't vote for bernard sanders the blood of millions is on your hands and i will never forgive you. the lord will judge you and you will burn in hell

I'm still mad I never got my bumper sticker from Bernard in like 2016 , what did he do with my 5 bucks!?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Goobish posted:

I'm still mad I never got my bumper sticker from Bernard in like 2016 , what did he do with my 5 bucks!?
He probably donated it to Hillary.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Stereotype posted:

if Cato the Younger had a twitter account he'd be posting about the downsides of pants compared to traditional Roman wear

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Mr Hootington posted:

I wish Americans killed themselves at two times the rate of covid. Hog people

When they change to a red, white, and blue background it's time to get worried.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Shadowhand00 posted:

there's an extremely high chance both she and every other bystander is armed and itching to use their gun on someone just like you

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Coldrice posted:

Totally want to buy this game lol. Lmao!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

how were horses dewormed before ivermectin was discovered

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Congratulations you now have philosophy degree now use it at Mcdargles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Hexigrammus posted:

When they change to a red, white, and blue background it's time to get worried.

ah the cop version