Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

Thanks for hanging in there with my dumb questions thread, the game is growing on me. I switched out from White Mage to Rogue to check it out but not my thing, back to White Mage until level 50 so I can check out Dark Knight and Machinist. I really enjoy doing dungeons, although they haven't asked much of the player yet so far in terms of skill. I wanted to see what a retainer was but I can't have one with the trial, blargh. Can I run Squadrons eventually or is that locked out for trials too?

I'm nearing the Titan stuff in the MSQ and starting to get a bit annoyed at the quest design though. There is a lot of "travel all the way over here, have a 3 second conversation then go across the continent again". Teleport helps but its the sheer volume of crap in ARR. Also the Scion of the Seventh Dawn people can help themselves, I'm sick of double zoning into their desert tree house constantly. I get that this game was designed for a PS3 but maybe they didn't need a special instanced base if it requires all of this nonsense then!

I really can't wait until I'm into content that was designed after 2014. Although looking at the MSQ list, it's going to be a long loving slog.

yeah this was easily the worst part for me when I was going through it a few weeks ago. I think after that point, it gets significantly more interesting plot-wise, even if the general style of the story quests never changes much. Once I trudged through that section, the pacing also felt like it picked up quite a bit leading through the end of the 2.0 ARR stuff. Heavensward, for me, also comes out full speed ahead from the first quest so I was riveted the entire time in a way that ARR only kinda grabbed me towards the tail end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
ARR was like a 6/10 for me but the second I hit the final 2.5 cutscene and then moved into HW it was 10/10 the entire way. I'm at 3.4 right now and I'm completely engrossed in the story. Lots of the trials and dungeons have been good as well but I am completely enraptured by basically every cutscene.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Are the relic weapon quests actually important in any way or is it exclusively optional? Getting base-grade Thyrus was annoying enough and already laughably outdated when I finally got it, and you're saying there's more and WORSE? :stare:

Also the first Trial of Stormblood was phenomenal. It was the first boss that actually felt like a boss fight because he didn't go down in like 5 seconds :v:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Are the relic weapon quests actually important in any way or is it exclusively optional? Getting base-grade Thyrus was annoying enough and already laughably outdated when I finally got it, and you're saying there's more and WORSE? :stare:

Also the first Trial of Stormblood was phenomenal. It was the first boss that actually felt like a boss fight because he didn't go down in like 5 seconds :v:

At the time they came out, it was the way to get a Best In Slot weapon that wasn't running savage content (basically you traded raiding for a more significant but less stressful time/gil sink). After the current expansion, though, they're just there for the glams.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

It's also not at all necessary to get a best in slot weapon if you don't run savage content. It's a nice little bonus, but I've never finished a relic and do just fine in all of the regular content with the crafted or tomestone weapons. It's really always just for glamours, and there's other options if you want a glowy weapon without the grind.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Relics are purely for glamour almost all the time. Right now, a fully completed resistance weapon is the best you can have, but that wasn't even true for all of that patches they've been out. It's only in the lull before a new expansion comes out that they are truly cutting edge.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

The final step is basically guaranteed to be best in slot, but the final step has also released pretty late into the expansion so it’s not best in slot in a “relevant” time frame in that sense. It’s not important nor expected to keep up, but the reward is still worthwhile because they’re pretty evergreen glamour options.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Almost entirely what the others have said, but they do also have a tiny bit of extra lore that isn't usually mentioned. It's just a few small stories (save what I mention about the 70 and 80 ones), so you're not missing anything unless you're super curious about learning more about the world of Hydaelyn and some of the side characters.

They all involve a couple of the same characcters and there's a tiny connected story across them, though it's mostly just in the opening quest or two with some little tidbits at various points that don't need to be spelled out.

I haven't done HW's relic yet, but ARR's didn't have too much lore attached to it aside from hearing about a set of heroes. No details, just learning they existed.

SB's relic is partially linked to Eureka, which is a whole extra Thing unlocked at 70, though you don't have to do the relic to get the story. ShB's relic is the same, except it's linked to the Bozjan Resistance unlocked at 80. These are both bigger, more impactful stories, but they're tied to a partially different playstyle that doesn't gel with every FFXIV player. It doesn't hurt to do a part of the relic if you are doing Eureka or Bozja for the story, though, since you'll probably get a little bit just from doing what's needed.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

This relic talk makes me glad my favorite class so far is monk, who's best looking weapon is "The Emperor's New Fists".

I hit the end of Heavensward, and opened up the Ishgard Restoration Project. There's some cool stuff from the various scrip vendors, but it seems like this zone is going to turn into player housing with Endwalker. Have they said what the plan is for this stuff? I assume it isn't poofing away.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Celebrity Ghost posted:

This relic talk makes me glad my favorite class so far is monk, who's best looking weapon is "The Emperor's New Fists".

I hit the end of Heavensward, and opened up the Ishgard Restoration Project. There's some cool stuff from the various scrip vendors, but it seems like this zone is going to turn into player housing with Endwalker. Have they said what the plan is for this stuff? I assume it isn't poofing away.

The Firmament itself won't turn into housing, but the housing will be added onto it, from what I understand.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Leraika posted:

The Firmament itself won't turn into housing, but the housing will be added onto it, from what I understand.

The two Custom Deliveries that are there support this, which is good. There's a lot of really cute moments in there if you do the side quests.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Leraika posted:

My assumption is that there will be a version of the Firmament that will stay as it currently is, with Ishgard NPCs continuing to use the stalls and houses for their various purposes, and that will stay separate from the housing wards. I don't think the player housing wards would want to have (Firmament quest spoilers) Marcelloix standing in a person's yard, or the vendor for Charlemend's custom delivery items in another person's yard.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Just so I'm sure I understand this.

Grand Company = NPC group that you grind for stuff, I'm with the twin adders or whatever.

Free Company = Guild equivalent. You can party cross-server but only instanced content I think. Guild can give buffs and stuff for members.

Linkshells = Chat channels? This used to be the main means of organizing when I played FFXI, I have no idea what it's for now

If I want to play with some goons and I'm on Primal, do I still want to try to get a transfer to Excalibur later. I could only create on Famfrit at the time I made my account/character. Does it matter?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Mostly, yes. Free Companies and Linkshells are the player groups, GCs are just a story thing. Only Linkshells can be cross-realm, and cross-realm Linkshells are a separate type from normal ones. You can only join FCs on your server, so if you want to join one of the Excalibur FCs -- and you do! -- then you will need to transfer over.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
You can do non-instanced stuff with cross-server people using World Visit. Go to the aetheryte in Limsa, Ul'dah, or Gridania, and you can travel to any other world on your datacenter. Coming soon-ish will be the ability to visit worlds on other datacenters, too.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

As it happens I just did that trial for the first time during my lunch break today, and hot drat, that was great. I went in blind as a White Mage, nearly immediately wiped us, then did it the next try with at least half a dozen near wipes. At one point something happened and all the dps got knocked out, but we pulled through. I really didn't like the first part of Stormblood but I'm glad I pushed through, it's just gotten better and better.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

They're all exclusively optional, as others have said. They're basically just there to provide an excuse if you want to remain subscribed during the content lull between the last content patch of an expansion and the release of a new expansion. That said, yes, the ARR relic weapon can get a bit onerous at times to upgrade, especially if you're on the free trial and can't access the market board or get to level 80 to just solo most of the content required.

Here's an overview of each of the steps:

Base Relic
This requires completing the quest "A Relic Reborn" for whichever job you want to do it on. You'll be sent to retrieve a key item from an area full of level 41+ mobs in one of the ARR zones; then you'll need to acquire a weapon that's crafted using an item drop from the level 50 dungeon "The Wanderer's Palace" and meld two specific grade III materia to it; then you'll do a trial fight; then you'll have to run the dungeon Amdapor Keep; you'll then be tasked to slay 24 mobs from the area you retrieved the original key item from (eight each of three specific mobs) using the unfinished weapon; then you'll do another trial fight with the unfinished weapon; then you'll need to run Ifrit (Hard), Garuda (Hard) and Titan (Hard) in that order; and then finally you'll need to trade an item purchased with poetics to finish off the quest.

Zenith
This is literally the easiest step of the entire relic chain. Trade your relic weapon and three Thavnairian Mists to the Furnace in Hrystmill in North Shroud, and you'll get an upgraded glowing version. Thavnairian Mists can be purchased for tomestones of poetics, and it's generally worth it to just grab them when you get the other item you needed to finish off the previous stage.

Atma
This is where it starts to get grindy. For this step, you need to acquire 12 Atmas, one for each sign of the Zodiac. These drop from FATEs in 12 specific ARR zones - Outer, Upper, Middle, Western and Lower La Noscea; Eastern, Central, Western, and Southern Thanalan; and North, East, and Central Shroud. The Atmas can drop from any FATE in the zone, regardless of level. You don't need to have your weapon equipped to get the drops from the FATEs, but you do at least need to have it in either your inventory or your armory chest; your chocobo saddlebag does not count. The drop rate is estimated somewhere around 25% per FATE, from what I've read online. Sometimes you'll go into a zone, do a single FATE, and get the drop immediately; sometimes you'll spend around an hour grinding FATEs with nothing to show for it (at which point you might want to double check to make sure you're in the correct zone to get a drop). It's time-consuming, but overall not egregiously onerous to do this step.

Animus
AKA "the book step." Hell begins here. For this step, there are a series of nine books that have a series of tasks for you to complete to power up your weapon. While the specifics vary from book to book, each book follows the same basic format - kill three each of 10 specific mobs out in the world; run three specific dungeons; complete three specific combat levequests; and complete three specific FATEs. Each book costs 100 tomestones of poetics to purchase, and you can only have one book at a time, meaning you have to finish your current book before you can move on to a different one. Note that a few of the FATEs required by some of the books will have a prerequiste FATE that needs to be successfully completed before they'll spawn. This is where most people tend to lose steam if they started their relic back when they finished the ARR MSQ, and it's all right to just put it on the back burner and come back when you're level 80 and can stomp a mudhole in all the content needed for it.

Novus
AKA "the materia scroll step." Still with us? I admire your conviction! The first part of this stage requires creating a special scroll, using items purchased for poetics. Once that's done, you'll need to start infusing the scroll with materia of grades I through IV. This is a bit onerous because there's no vendors in the game who sell or trade grade I, II, III or IV combat materia. Meaning your only real options for acquiring it is to either buy it off the market board or make it yourself through spiritbinding low level gear. Also, you can't just skip straight to grade IV materia; you HAVE to go in order from I to II to III to IV for any given type of materia. So how much materia will you need? At least 75 pieces. I say "at least" because it's possible for the infusion to fail and the materia to be destroyed as you imbue more and more of a given type and grade into the scroll.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! In order to even imbue the materia into the scroll, you need a special material called Alexandrite. This material can be acquired in three different ways. It has an EXTREMELY LOW drop rate from FATEs in ARR zones. It is absolutely not worth grinding for this way. The second method is to purchase it from the Hunt Billmaster in your Grand Company's HQ. One piece of Alexandrite costs 50 Allied Seals, which are acquired from killing Hunt marks, or from participating in Blue Mage content at levels 50 and up. The final method for acquiring Alexandrite is through Mysterious Maps. These are similar to normal treasure maps in that you'll need to track down a hidden coffer somewhere in the world, dig for it, then defeat a bunch of mobs that spawn when you attempt to open it. This is the best method, because each coffer has 5 pieces of Alexandrite in it. Mysterious Maps can be acquired once per day for free from a daily quest in Mor Dhona that requires you to run the Level 50/60/70 Dungeon Roulette; you can also buy them for Tomestones of poetics. You can carry up to three maps on your person at one time; one in your inventory, one in your saddlebag, and one deciphered in your key items. You'll need a total of 75 pieces of Alexandrite to compete this step, one per successfully infused materia; thankfully, failing to infuse a materia into the scroll only consumes the materia and not the Alexandrite.

Nexus
AKA "the light grind step." If you're still with us, congratulations, there's only three steps left! This next step is mostly just time-consuming. You'll need to infuse souls into your weapon by, in theory, running a wide variety of ARR content. I say "in theory" because the most efficient way to do this step is to either run Syrcus Tower over and over again, or run Sastasha/Tam-Tara/Aurum Vale unsynched over and over again. Those give the most light per time invested ratio out of any of the other possible content you could be doing for this step. Syrcus Tower gives either 96 or 128 points of light per run, which Sastasha/Tam-Tara/Aurum Vale give 48 or 96 points per run. If you're also working on a ShB Relic that is at a stage where you can run Syrcus tower for that, it's probably best to do that grind so you can knock out both at once; otherwise, Sastasha/Tam-Tara/Aurum Vale will probably be faster overall, especially if you're running them solo at level 80 since you can knock Sastasha or Tam-Tara out in under 5 minutes per run, or Aurum Vale in around 2 minutes per run. You'll need to infuse a minimum of 2000 points of light into the weapon to complete this step. Don't worry, it'll be extremely obvious when you hit that threshhold, so you'll know when you can stop.

Zodiac
AKA "the worst step." Okay, this is the point where the kid gloves officially come off. Personally, this is the stage that I feel to be the most hellish of them all due to what it entails, but your mileage and brain worms may vary. Not only is this stage time-consuming, it's also resource intensive. You're going to be spending a LOT to complete this step. This stage requires you to complete four different quests. Each quest has more or less the same objectives, it just has you complete them in a different order for each quest. But for each quest, you will need the following:
  • a vendor item purchased for 100,000 gil
  • a bombard core, which can be purchased from your Grand Company quartermaster for 20,000 GC seals. You will need to be at least Second Lieutenant Rank in your Grand Company to purchase these. Hope you've been keeping on top of that.
  • a bottle of sacred spring water, purchased for 200 tomestones of poetics
  • four key items acquired from running four specific dugeons. These are automatic drops that you get upon exiting the dungeon, so don't fret about running around trying to actually find them in the dugeon or in the treasure coffers. Oh, and one of the dungeons you need to run for this stage isn't available until about halfway through the patch 2.4 MSQ, just in case you were for some strange reason waiting to progress the MSQ until after you've completed your relic weapon (please for the love of all that is holy do not do this if you value your time and/or sanity).
  • two specific high quality crafted items.
Those crafted items are the worst part of this stage. To begin with, they require you to have access to the Master Recipes I book for each of their respective crafting classes (and yes, you'll need one item from each of the eight crafting classes). Further compounding this, each item requires a special material that can only be acquired by desynthesizing specific vendor items that are available for 3000 gil each from the Silver Bazaar in Western Thanalan. These special materials are not a guaranteed drop from desynthesizing the items. It is possible to burn through thousands upon thousands of gil trying to get these drat things to drop. It's the worst part of this entire stage, especially if you've made no effort to engage with the crafting system before this point, because it means you'll either need to have a friend or FC mate handle it for you, or hope to the Twelve that you can find them for cheap on your Data Center's market boards (they will not be cheap; whether they'll be cheaper than trying and failing to get the desynthesis drops on your own is an exercise I leave to the reader to solve).

So to recap, that's a total of at least 400,000 gil, 800 poetics, 80,000 GC seals, 16 dungeon runs, and 8 HQ crafted items that will cost you at least 24,000 gil and probably way, way more than that.

gently caress this stage.

Zeta
AKA "the victory lap." Congratulations, the end is in sight! You're almost finished, you just have a wee bit more light grinding to do, and then it's over. For this stage, you will be attaching twelve Mahatmas, one for each sign of the Zodiac, to your weapon and imbuing them with light, similar to the Nexus step. Thankfully, this grind takes nowhere near as long to complete. Each Mahatma costs 50 poetics to purchase, and requires 40 points of light to fully charge. Running Sastasha or Tam-Tara will give you 24 points of light, or occasionally 48 points per run, and Syrucus Tower or the World of Darkness are guaranteed to get you a minimum of 48 points per run.

Once you've finished the Zeta stage, you're officially done with the weapon. The weapon itself can't be stored in your glamour dresser unfortunately, but take heart! Once you've completed the weapon, a vendor in North Shroud will sell you Replica versions of the weapon and all of its previous stages (including the unfinished version of the base relic if you wish) that have no stats, but can be stored in the glamour dresser and used to set up glamour plates.

And that's all there is to know about ARR Relic weapons! :unsmigghh:

TL; DR - do the base stage and the Zenith stage to get a title and a cool glowing weapon for glam purposes, then skip the rest until you hit end game levels and can ruthlessly crush the remaining steps under your godlike heel.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 8, 2021

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The above is an excellent recap of why Zenith is easy and worth doing for glams and titles, and maybe not touching anything beyond that!

Later expansion relics are much easier. The HW one is basically just varying combinations of fates / dungeons / raids / poetics. SB and SHB get into introducing whole new zones and duties to progress through instead of (or supplementing) doing stuff elsewhere in game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think Aurum Vale is the best dungeon to do the ARR relic light farming step on, as long as you're doing it unsynced at 80. Since it doesn't require you to kill a single enemy besides morbols and bosses you can zoom through it insanely fast, like close to 2 minutes.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Tortolia posted:

The above is an excellent recap of why Zenith is easy and worth doing for glams and titles, and maybe not touching anything beyond that!

it's super inconvenient for glams though because the replica vendor doesn't actually unlock until you've done at least one zeta, so you have to separately manually apply that when you get every new weapon, and remember to keep it around

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mister Olympus posted:

it's super inconvenient for glams though because the replica vendor doesn't actually unlock until you've done at least one zeta, so you have to separately manually apply that when you get every new weapon, and remember to keep it around

Fair, but at least cycling out weapons isn't a constant thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

W.T. Fits posted:

TL; DR - do the base stage and the Zenith stage to get a title and a cool glowing weapon for glam purposes, then skip the rest until you hit end game levels and can ruthlessly crush the remaining steps under your godlike heel.

Added a link to this in the OP!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And you have to do all of that for each individual job?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Regalingualius posted:

Yes

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Regalingualius posted:

That's right.

For later relics, they sometimes have steps that are one-time-only, which is where they put the worst grinds. But most of the time it's something that is designed to be a time sink, so you're not gettin' any shortcuts.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Later relics also make it fairly simple to progress on multiple steps at once, for example I have all five repeatable SHB steps active. Also some content drops tokens for multiple steps at the same time, like a specific instance gives me 3 of 15 tokens needed for the penultimate step and 2 of 15 for the final step for a single clear.

Zodiac weapons also have other annoying restrictions, like limiting you to a single book or alexandrite map at a time rather than letting you work on multiple at once.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yeah the ShB relics are pretty easy in comparison. Once you've completed your first it's basically:

20 fates from three zones (60 total)
6 runs of the antitower
3 runs of Castrum Lacus Litore
5 runs of Delubrum Reginae
15 items from Dalriada (3 per clear) or Delubrum Reginae (2 per clear)

With Bozja unlocked I essentially geared up a class for all five roles and completed their relics just by doing the weekly CLL/Dal/DR runs with a few extra DRs here or there. Get your BiS weapon, suit of ilvl 525 left side, some sweet judge armour glams all concurrently.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what was the relic step that needed max company seals? because i’m sitting on that now and should be good on ventures for a long time so i may as well

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Super No Vacancy posted:

what was the relic step that needed max company seals? because i’m sitting on that now and should be good on ventures for a long time so i may as well

the things for anima weapons? 4 each of king cake, titanium alloy mirror, adamantite francesca and dispelling arrow. 80k seals total

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cool i’m gonna buy those. also sitting on 10 each of the boned and shells, someday ill figure out how to put em all together

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I also have a little pile of unidentifiable materials from running treasure coffers, and I have no idea what to do with them. I guess the answer is "hold on until I think doing a relic sounds like a good idea?"

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you have to buy 4 items from a vendor in mor dhona, each one costs 10x specific unidentifiable thing and 4x specific gc seal thing

if you are curious the whole process is here https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Category:Anima_Weapons

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

wait so how do I get the level III materia using skybuilders scrips?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Do not buy materia with skybuilders scrip, it's not worth it at all, buy glamours and stuff to sell and use that to buy materia.

Also IIIs aren't even on the vendor, the Ixal vendor carries those for their quest currency. If you're even capable of doing Firmament though just level to 50 and start using IVs if you want (then Vs at 60 etc.) They're very cheap on the marketboard and for yellow scrip.

If you're talking about combat materia those are from spiritbond and maybe a couple of things like desynthesis (also the marketboard ofc). If you're even capable of doing Firmament though just level to 50

Algid fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 8, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Awesome! posted:

the things for anima weapons? 4 each of king cake, titanium alloy mirror, adamantite francesca and dispelling arrow. 80k seals total

There is also one part of the Zeta weapons that needs 4 bombard cores for 20k each, 80k total. Same vendor.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Algid posted:

Do not buy materia with skybuilders scrip, it's not worth it at all, buy glamours and stuff to sell and use that to buy materia.

Also IIIs aren't even on the vendor, the Ixal vendor carries those for their quest currency. If you're even capable of doing Firmament though just level to 50 and start using IVs if you want (then Vs at 60 etc.) They're very cheap on the marketboard and for yellow scrip.

If you're talking about combat materia those are from spiritbond and maybe a couple of things like desynthesis (also the marketboard ofc). If you're even capable of doing Firmament though just level to 50

I'm asking for the relic weapon poo poo specifically. I suppose then that the skybuilder materia is just crafting and gathering types then. Oh well.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Yeah those are effectively marketboard only.

I would honestly not even bother with base relic unless you really like their look, there's no lack of different weapon models in the game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Alxprit posted:

wait so how do I get the level III materia using skybuilders scrips?

According to Garland Tools, Skybuilders Scrips can be traded for Brass Sky Pirate Spoils, which is an old, deprecated currency from the previous version of the Diadem before it got reworked for the Ishgardian Restoration. And according to Garland Tools, Brass Sky Pirate Spoils can be traded for combat materia of grades III, IV and V, but I can't for the life of me find out who makes that particular exchange, so it's probably no longer in the game.

I've updated the guide to mention that you can only get grades I-IV either by spiritbonding it yourself or buying it off the marketboard, since as far as I can tell there's no way to trade for it like I thought there was. This will teach me to be more thorough in my research if I ever do a write-up like this again.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 8, 2021

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Hit a good few little milestones in my play today, namely advancing to Warrior and also getting Kwehntry to help me out in combat. Especially glad for that second one cause I'm now hitting the point where stuff in the world actually hits for more than fuckall.

Oh and I successfully mathed/lucked my way to the 10,000 reward on the minipots :frogc00l: On the last one of the day too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The sky pirate NPCs are still in housing districs and next to the Ishgard airport I think? Seriously though just buy it with gil unless you absolutely can't in which case it's probably time to buy the game rather than running through the hoops of beat the entire free trial -> get a crafter/gatherer in the Firmament -> get scrip (fetes maybe?) -> buy tokens -> trade tokens for materia -> get weapon component from dungeon or crafting leve -> craft weapon (needs correct crafter around lvl50) -> meld materia.