Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rand makes out with Elayne for like a week and everyone treats it like she climbed Dragonmount and planted a flag in him. Rand thinks she hates him until like half the series later, when he finally meets her again. It isn't a hot take to say that the girls are kinda treating him as property and discussing who he belongs to, that's text.

But Rand is a willing participant and is totally able to exert his own will on the situation. You could say it's not a healthy relationship and I'd ask you if there's anything healthy about Rand between books like, 2 and 13? Rand is desperately clinging to whatever comfort he can find, when its available, and trying not to think to hard about what comes after, because what comes after is death.

Aviendha believes she betrayed Elayne because she broke the spirit of her promise. If Elayne had told her she could get it, Aviendha wouldn't have spent all that time sharpening a knife. Once it's all out on the table, Rand, Elayne and Aviendha all hop aboard pretty quickly. The only one with any misgivings seems to be Min, who feels trapped by the situation (but she felt trapped just falling in love with Rand). The fact that they eventually do try to communicate makes it healthier than almost anything else Rand does during those books lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

So what you're saying here is that Rand is the one pushed into a poly relationship with questionable consent.

Sure I mean you can say that, and it's probably true in a manner of speaking, because it was literally decreed by fate. But at that point you're probably going into philosophical concepts of free will, more than any practical real world concerns about consent.

I think a rough timeline of how this all happened, if memory serves, was:

- Min foresees that Rand is the man she's going to marry, and that she's going to have to share him with two other women.
- Rand meets Min and makes friends with her.
- Rand meets Elayne and they both independently fall in love with each other without acknowledging it.
- Min at some point tells Elayne about her prophecy and that they're going to end up in a relationship with Rand and another woman.
- Elayne meets Aviendha and makes friends with her.
- Rand meets Elayne again later and they have a cute minor relationship in which they play stupid-children-in-love mind games with each other and then Elyane dumps him.
- Elayne tells Avidendha that she and Rand are together and makes Aviendha promise to guard him for her.
- Aviendha falls in love with Rand at some point during all this bullshit.
- Rand and Aviendha sleep together. Aviendha feels bad about it because of her promise to Elayne and because of Aiel cultural rules is now both obligated to kill Rand, and to let Elayne kill her.
- Aviendha confesses to Elayne. Elayne tells her about the prophecy. They agree to share Rand with Min.
- The three of them confront Rand with this, who this whole time has been beating himself up over being a sexual deviant in love with three women.
- Through the power of ~true love~ he rejects his cultural upbringing and they all agree to get married.

Really the whole time the only issue any of them had with this was that it was a cultural taboo for most of them. You could probably criticize the author for setting the situation up in the first place if you wanted to, and there's certainly a lot of places in these books that give reason to think he's a dirty old man, but it seems to be justified in the fiction.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also a lot of this is going way beyond the initial comment that started all of this which was basically 'rand is a sleazy fuckboy who pressures women into relationships with him' which is pretty easily disproven and probably why so many posters took the time to respond and are still responding

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Determinism doesn't have much to do with consent in any ethically meaningful sense, one way or the other. A prophecy is a prediction, not an intention.

It is a story about (among many other things) how four people got into a weird polycule. Each of them had their own reasons and their own opinions, none of them was immediately into it, mistakes were made.
In an atomist's approach sure, but how it is approached, from the perspective of alternative worlds in the last battle, are the world's ethics.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Johnny Joestar posted:

also a lot of this is going way beyond the initial comment that started all of this which was basically 'rand is a sleazy fuckboy who pressures women into relationships with him' which is pretty easily disproven and probably why so many posters took the time to respond and are still responding

I'm not exactly backing down off of that. Given his status as a ta'veren, that's certainly a possible reading that isn't disproven.

We're not even talking about the initial scene where he and Aviendha have sex where he uses magic for basically everything but somehow the only possible way to warm her body is to share body heat naked, cause I guess magic can't do that? I believe Asmodean comments that almost nobody can do that thing where he blocks another person's gateway from closing.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The real question is do they leave Rand after he gets another guys dick?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

https://dragonmount.com/forums/topic/75056-what-are-mythological-parallels-for-rand-having-3-wives/

quote:

Question

I was wondering, can you talk about how your lead character would have not one but three true loves, and how does your wife feel about that?

Robert Jordan

Um, when I was much younger, before I met Harriet, I had two girlfriends simultaneously, who arranged my dating schedule between them, who was going to date me on which night. They chipped in together to buy me birthday presents and Christmas presents. You know, they just sort of shared me between them, you know. And they had been friends before, and I am not quite sure whether or not they made the decision they were both going to date me or not, on their own, before they first met me, it just came about. But I figured if I could manage two, surely Rand could manage three. Besides there are mythological reasons to have these three women involved with him.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Invalid Validation posted:

The real question is do they leave Rand after he gets another guys dick?

Hopefully the TV show goes deep into dicks and their associated questions.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

How are u posted:

Hopefully the TV show goes deep into dicks and their associated questions.

the taint, at least. cheapest joke in the WoT universe, but a Very Goodie

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

God bless that old pervert

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Jaxyon posted:

I'm not exactly backing down off of that. Given his status as a ta'veren, that's certainly a possible reading that isn't disproven.

We're not even talking about the initial scene where he and Aviendha have sex where he uses magic for basically everything but somehow the only possible way to warm her body is to share body heat naked, cause I guess magic can't do that? I believe Asmodean comments that almost nobody can do that thing where he blocks another person's gateway from closing.

That, at least, is explicitly explained.

quote:

Fumbling for the bundle he had left, he swathed Aviendha from head to foot in all of it, the blankets, the rugs of her pallet, her clothes. Every bit of protection was vital. Her eyes were closed, and she did not move. He parted the blankets enough to put an ear to her chest. Her heart beat so slowly that he was not sure he was really hearing it. Even four blankets and half a dozen rugs were not enough, and he could not channel heat into her as he had the ground; even fining the flow as much as possible, he was more likely to kill than warm. He could feel the weave he had used to block open her gateway, a mile or perhaps two away through the storm. If he tried to carry her that far, neither of them would survive. They needed shelter, and they needed it here.

He channeled flows of Air, and snow began to move across the ground against the wind, building into thick square walls three paces on a side with one gap for a door, building higher, compacting the snow till it glistened like ice, roofing it over high enough to stand. Scooping Aviendha into his arms, he stumbled into the dark interior, weaving and tying flames dancing in the corners for light, channeling to scoop more snow to close the doorway.

Just with the wind shut away it felt warmer, but that would not be enough. Using the trick Asmodean had shown him, he wove Air and Fire, and the air around them grew warmer. He did not dare tie that weave off; if he fell asleep, it could grow and melt the hut. For that matter, the flames were almost as dangerous to leave, but he was too bone-weary and chilled to maintain more than one weave.

Trying to warm her with magic would risk killing her, and even trying to keep the air warm risks killing them both.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Can't wait for when people realize Tar Valon is a literal vagina design

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Gnoman posted:

That, at least, is explicitly explained.

Trying to warm her with magic would risk killing her, and even trying to keep the air warm risks killing them both.

Eh, yeah sure the author felt he needed to give a full paragraph explanation to why this was the only way when Rand regularly does poo poo that isn't even remotely explained.

Barreft posted:

Male captains constantly unable to find the Northharbor and pressuring the guard to let them into the Southharbor

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

Male captains constantly unable to find the Northharbor and pressuring the guard to let them into the Southharbor

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

I gotta hand it to this thread, I've seen a lot of people spend a lot of time discussing the intricacies of fictional worlds but I've never encountered a debate over whether prophesied sex is unethical

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Gnoman posted:

If you aren't going to bother fact-checking your half-assed take, have you considered listening to the people telling you that you're full of poo poo?

Nope. This isn't even the first time they've done this as I already had them on ignore.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Barreft posted:

I showed the map to my husband a while ago and he thought that I was just being a big ol' pervert when I said it was a vagina. He was all "sure, it's an oval with tapered ends, but you're reading way too much into it." Then I pointed out all the "anatomical" bits and he about died laughing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If you think this discourse is fun just wait until they do the Perrin spanks Faile scene

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, I don't know if that's going to be in the show.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel pretty confident they're not going to have that stuff in the show

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Given how goony older RJ appears to have looked, I can only imagine young RJ as basically Adonis.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Jaxyon posted:

:discourse:

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Jaxyon posted:

Ta'averen are not able to shape the pattern to give them what they want, rather, the pattern uses them as loci to get the outcome it desires ("desires" might be the wrong word but it will do).

It's stated in the text that they actually have less freedom to decide their fate while they are fulfilling that role - only by leaning into what the pattern wants do they regain some agency.

Rand explicitly does not have control over this ability and if it worked for him he would have had it work out differently.

Aviendha has sex with him first, after Elayne has broken up with him (even though she tells Aviendha she hasn't). After that, she tells him they will never do that again.

Min, in text, explicitly consents to sex and a relationship. At this point, Rand thinks that neither of the other girls he loves want that, and he loves Min, so he is into it.

The three girls get together in Caemlyn and decide they are willing to share him if he loves them all. He meets the three and they agree that they all love him and he loves them so they want to bond him. He agrees to that. Then Elayne tells him she wants to have sex with him before he leaves and they do.

What are the specific steps along the way that you find problematic?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

I just doubt the show will include an anime harem ending considering what else it seems to shift or condense, both for mainstreaming and expediency. One thing to keep in mind is the number of steps involved in justifying it in the narrative. If many other minor plot points, characters etc. are getting cut, would this subplot be one of the ones they keep?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Rand's anime harem is one of the least complicated things to adapt tbh

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Is it unethical to have sex with someone you're in love with? All those brain chemicals are messing with your ability to think clearly after all

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

How are u posted:

I believe Rand had many women that he found attractive throw themselves at him over the course of the books, and he refused their advances. Cairheinen nobles, the darkfriend lady in Rhuidean, etc.

Berelain, Selene (and again and again once she revealed herself), the dozens of women he thumbs his earlobe at...

As for the Prologue, I've come around to not including it at the start. I think it will help avoid the Male Chosen One aspect and emphasize the world run by powerful women, and also avoid what (male) channeling looks like so viewers won't know if talking to wolves, or unnatural luck and speaking the Old Tongue, or other stuff is a sign of being the Dragon Reborn. Once the world is established it can have several neat plot twists come out of that reveal

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I never understood how that was ambiguous in the first book. Like Rand is the main character, of course he was gonna be the dragon. What else would he do if he wasn’t? Stumble around following everyone while they yell at him for being a dumb hick?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Interesting. Does YA tend towards first person perspectives, few if any different POV switches, that sort of thing? Thanks for answering!

Id say so, yeah. Its why Id consider something like The Hazelwood YA instead of straight fantasy.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Interesting. Does YA tend towards first person perspectives, few if any different POV switches, that sort of thing? Thanks for answering!

In reality, there's no actual hard line dividing 'adult' and 'young adult' and even 'children' fiction. It's just who they decide to market the book to. Which, generally, is based on the age of the protagonist. It frankly seems like a weird requirement to force multiple POVs to not be YA.

And hell, there's the Animorphs where the entire selling point is that it switches perspective every single book, and has strongly differentiated characters that are clearly more than just self-inserts for the reader and that's considered YA/Children. And it's a gory, horrifying war story.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

There's no hard and fast rule, fantasy and young adult and half a dozen other genres bleed into each other. Like how old is Pug in Rift Wars in the first book? Tropes are a good sign post, and a narrowing of perspective, love interest, staying in the head of the protagonist versus lore...I dunno, its why I tended to read fantasy rather than YA as a kid. Maybe I'm not the best judge of it then.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Jaxyon posted:

I am but a lot of it seems like people disagreeing with interpretation not on facts.

Also I did fact check, I posted a book and chapter.

Aviendha doesn't start out being OK with the sister-wives thing, she's distressed about having slept with Rand and sister-wives is the solution.

Please stop using the internet. Entirely. Do something else. Your online persona is atrocious and this is actively bad for you.

The books go on and on about consent. It’s literally hundreds of pages.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I was hoping 75 new posts in the thread meant a surprise second trailer or cast announcement.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Democratic Pirate posted:

I was hoping 75 new posts in the thread meant a surprise second trailer or cast announcement.

We did get a leak of one of those! Lews Therin was cast and is supposedly in S1.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We better get Demandred in coin armor by the end Amazon, I swear to god!

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

Invalid Validation posted:

I never understood how that was ambiguous in the first book. Like Rand is the main character, of course he was gonna be the dragon. What else would he do if he wasn’t? Stumble around following everyone while they yell at him for being a dumb hick?

It's for sure not ambiguous in the book, but it could be in the series since the main character will be Morraine. Since that's the main thing she's trying to find out, it would be better if you don't spend the whole season following someone trying to figure out something that's dead obvious. That said, I think it'll be more of a pilot question than a season question if anything. It seems like it probably won't be a question at least after the episode called The Dragon Reborn, aka #4.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Gambor posted:

It's for sure not ambiguous in the book, but it could be in the series since the main character will be Morraine. Since that's the main thing she's trying to find out, it would be better if you don't spend the whole season following someone trying to figure out something that's dead obvious. That said, I think it'll be more of a pilot question than a season question if anything. It seems like it probably won't be a question at least after the episode called The Dragon Reborn, aka #4.

#4 is probably more to do with Logain and a discussion on what the Dragon Reborn is, rather than revealing the answer, which probably comes at the end of the season.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

#4 is probably more to do with Logain and a discussion on what the Dragon Reborn is, rather than revealing the answer, which probably comes at the end of the season.

I'm going to spoiler this as it's based mostly on the trailers, but it's just a theory.
Based on the trailers we've seen so far, I think that episode is going to show the actual capture of Logain. We see a bunch of Red and Green Ajah people fighting someone, and they wouldn't normally work together. So, I think it's going to show off them working to actually capture a dangerous male channeler. It would be a cool scene, and would really show what a male channeler can do.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

seaborgium posted:

I'm going to spoiler this as it's based mostly on the trailers, but it's just a theory.
Based on the trailers we've seen so far, I think that episode is going to show the actual capture of Logain. We see a bunch of Red and Green Ajah people fighting someone, and they wouldn't normally work together. So, I think it's going to show off them working to actually capture a dangerous male channeler. It would be a cool scene, and would really show what a male channeler can do.

Based on some other stuff in the trailer and those promo photos, I'm thinking Moiraine gets injured in Shadar Logoth and Lan and Nynaeve take her to get healed. The closest Aes Sedai are those transporting a captured Logain. While they're there Logain's dudes attack and Logain breaks containment. I'm thinking they're setting him up as more of an early antagonist, both to show off how dangerous male channelers are and also to maybe set up that he might actually be the Dragon. I'm thinking they're going to make that a much muddier issue than it was in the book.

Probably not worth spoiling wild speculation but eh

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Anias posted:

Please stop using the internet. Entirely. Do something else. Your online persona is atrocious and this is actively bad for you.

The books go on and on about consent. It’s literally hundreds of pages.

Its some of the worse tendencies found in the politics forums bleeding in.