Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Relin posted:

he didnt seem that enthused about finishing it...

i mean, he's on record saying he sacrified any sort of social life and regularity for his art so i don't think that's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hopefully if he had a will he laid out what he wanted done with his most profitable asset. Though I don't know how the rights are distributed in terms of how much the publisher owns, can they override the creator's stake if they hold enough of the rights, will the shareholders/executive leadership of Young Animal decide its their fiduciary duty to continue the series because of its sales numbers, will the assisstants comply if they know its against the author's wishes, etc.

Guess we'll find out in September!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

you can leave the biggest most detailed plan of all time, there's always going to be something that pops up in writing that you'd forgotten or seemed incidental at the time which has more ramifications than you'd anticipated it would and then when your notes don't tell you about what to do with it, you need to go with what you think would be the best course of action and that might not be what Miura would have chose, it may have been.

do the ramifications of this oversight make another thing hard to square with the notes? And then another? how long until the plan you've had to adjust to accomodate everything is no longer the plan you were left?

it's going to be hard to call any berserk continuation the ending miura would have wanted to write unless you write rigidly to his notes and it's probably not possible to write a good manga to rigid notes you can't ask for elaboration on.
it's also not guaranteed that a berserk continuation is going to be bad purely because miura has passed, if it does indeed keep going

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I'm glad that pedophile is burning in Hell.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pewdiepie posted:

The gently caress?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just ignore them

Fredrick Frick
Jun 17, 2021

by Hand Knit

Pewdiepie posted:

Couldn't agree more.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1435153781621018624?s=20

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So no information yet.

We'll see if that changes with the expo

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Its not the last in the series, its the last that Miura worked on. Terrible wording.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Yeah the whole 'what he would think' bit is fairly ambiguous since he slaved over this manga for 30 years it's not a stretch at all to say he'd want to see it finished.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's very much a "We're probably going to wait and see how this lands and what the demand is and go from there".

Gotta say it's lovely how they included the message in English as well.

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
I vote let the assistants continue it but let/'s work towards a finish this time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm sure it's a deeply personal and difficult question for Miura's assistants as well and it doesn't surprise me that they first put their time and energy into finishing Miura's last manuscript before coming to a decision of whether to continue the manga on without him or not.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

If they're not going to say no then I'm assumimg they're figuring out the best way to say yes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well that confirms what I thought that there wasn’t any outline.

So if they keep goingit won’t really be berserk, not really

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
They just said this was the last manuscript, the presence or absence of an outline remains unconfirmed.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Pindakaas posted:

I vote let the assistants continue it but let/'s work towards a finish this time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pindakaas posted:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pindakaas posted:

With the added thing that, WE will know, if the quality drops off a cliff, why that is and where to stop.

But I think the story deserves a chance to be finished if it can be.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Super Rad posted:

They just said this was the last manuscript, the presence or absence of an outline remains unconfirmed.

It’s never even been suggested it exists, if it did now would have been the time

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I mean, I'm not too proud to admit that all I want is to see Griffith eat poo poo in an "official" capacity and it feels like it would be hard to gently caress that up. Berserk was always about baroque detail, not bucking convention.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

They should have blurbs next to each character to say what happened to them, like the ending of American Graffiti.

I am still of the opinion that this should be the final chapter. The assistants should take advantage of their platform working on this legendary series to promote their own solo projects. Miura was setting themselves up for financial independence and this should be the time to take advantage of that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s never even been suggested it exists, if it did now would have been the time

If they still haven't decided on the future of the series, then I don't know why they would announce that now. It hasn't been suggested that it exists because they tend not to talk about these things openly. That message provides zero evidence for or against the existence of a planned story outline.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just hope it continues in some way so I can enjoy the fun that comes with people upset that art style isn't some static thing that never changes.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
It's always odd when a long running series has been taken over by others like Christopher Tolkien finishing all the Middle-Earth, Brandon Sanderson finishing Wheel of Time and whoever finishes A Song of Ice and Fire :twisted:

my opinion is that if the new issues are good then it's good and they should do it and i will continue to read them. if it's bad then they should not and i will stop reading them.

to distinguish it from the series helmed by mimura, they should call it Berserk 2. or Berserk Z.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 8, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Berserk: A Realm Reborn

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Pindakaas posted:

Well yes in theory but I wouldn't want to be the assistant tasked with doing this.

"Hey bisse can you continue and finish the late Miura's work, please try to mimic his art and writing style when continuing the manga, also a satisfying ending please."
"Uuuuh we need to talk"

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

I mean, I'm not too proud to admit that all I want is to see Griffith eat poo poo in an "official" capacity and it feels like it would be hard to gently caress that up. Berserk was always about baroque detail, not bucking convention.
I want to see that too but keep coming back to like, any way I can imagine Guts winning and Griffith eating poo poo just doesn't feel like Miura's writing style. But wow yes a good ol' Bleach-style diagonal-cut-from-behind full page spread would be something!

Bisse fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 8, 2021

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't know whether I want Berserk to continue. It'll be hard to capture the spirit and magnificence of Berserk without Miura but I suppose if his estate want it to carry on, it should and if they don't, it shouldn't.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Unless they announce that Miura had an extensive collection of notes or an outline with the rest of the story laid out, I would prefer they just let the series end with this final chapter.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Berserk on Friday. And it's good, in a way I somehow didn't expect it to be.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I really want Berserk to continue so that every release this thread can rant that this is not my Berserk and you are destroying a legacy

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think that’s the first symptom of internet poisoning

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
https://imgur.com/a/zJSwrJc

Raw is out.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dude needed someone to make him make an outline. No wonder he took so long he was just winging it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean to be fair I don’t think he planned on dying

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
drat what a panel to end on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

That would be a... hell of a way to end the series for good. :stare:

No spoilers: chapter was very short but also there was nothing where I looked at it and thought "ah that was clearly done/finished by the assistants rather than Miura."