Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Do the popular OS images for these things offer any additional features? Can you install other packages, stream video to them, etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It's like a playdate and a retroid pocket 2 had a baby and it's ugly and most likely terrible

yippee cahier posted:

Do the popular OS images for these things offer any additional features? Can you install other packages, stream video to them, etc.?
The RG351 series use a stripped down version of linux made for emulation, similar to batocera or retropi, so you're not going to be installing your own packages or anything. Being Linux-based they do support Moonlight streaming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnQ_80JYgms&t=299s

Also they can run Lineage OS Android, and that can run more streaming apps like Steam Link.

Retroid Pocket 2 also runs android and can run Steam Link.

I don't think xCloud is supported on any of these.

I would not purchase any of these for streaming.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The United States posted:

It's like a playdate and a retroid pocket 2 had a baby and it's ugly and most likely terrible

The RG351 series use a stripped down version of linux made for emulation, similar to batocera or retropi, so you're not going to be installing your own packages or anything. Being Linux-based they do support Moonlight streaming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnQ_80JYgms&t=299s

Also they can run Lineage OS Android, and that can run more streaming apps like Steam Link.

Retroid Pocket 2 also runs android and can run Steam Link.

I don't think xCloud is supported on any of these.

I would not purchase any of these for streaming.

that might just straight up be the rp2 shell. button and stick placement looks identical as do the triggers

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Scraping the bottom of the AliExpress barrel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUs0gHl0K74

Declan MacManus posted:

that might just straight up be the rp2 shell. button and stick placement looks identical as do the triggers
Similar but not the same. It's more rounded and less squared off, mini instead of micro hdmi, screen is wide instead of 4:3, the volume is on the bottom instead of the top, there's an added reset button, start and select buttons in entirely different places, lowered L2 and R2 buttons, SD card in the side instead of the bottom, speakers below the screen (I think) instead of the lower corners, etc.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 7, 2021

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Finally caved and ordered an RG351P and a 128GB SD Card. Should be fun for chilling in the couch and some potentially long rear end bus trips I might have in the near future!

351Elec is still the recommended firmware right?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

351Elec is still the recommended firmware right?

Yeah, Ark is fine enough but it's not in development anymore, LineageOS is..more of a curio than useable, at least for now.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Remember when all we had for portable retro console emulation were hacked DSes, GP32s, and these weird PMPs that tried to ripoff both PSPs and DSes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAd3YOVIGDM

Oh and I guess those clone GBAs that had added emulation capability were coming out around this time as well

Weedle
May 31, 2006

zzMisc posted:

"The RG351MP is also unlikely to have a built-in WiFi chip, this is due to the metal shell causing issues with connectivity."

Welp that really hurts my interest, I'm already plugging in my 280v to sync and I really don't need any more that require that. Looks sweet otherwise though. If it really is smaller than the 351m & v and pocketable and not too costly I might end up with one anyway.

the retrododo guy is a moron and has no idea what he's talking about. the 351m has plastic on the left and right edges and built-in wifi that works fine. no reason they wouldn't just do that again

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RGC is saying on YouTube that he’s been told by Anbernic that the 351MP will have wifi so Retro Dodo talking out his rear end confirmed.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
This spreadsheet should be helpful

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Should use the Gamepro excited guy review scale

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I disagree with having unreleased products on there.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The RG351MP seems like the best of the 351 series to me, personally I don't like the vertical orientation of the V so having the same screen with a good resolution/aspect ratio for console games in a horizontal form factor is ideal

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Counter point: probably no wood grain

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

RG351P arrived yesterday. Already got it set up with 351Elec and have been transfering my library over/scraping media.

I'm digging it. It's a little uncomfortable for my hands if I want to use the analog sticks but there's only a handful of games I need that for. Mostly been playing old Game Boy games I remember from my childhood so far.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1436375026698276872

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/4408932900365
Ah well...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any of these devices optimized around emulating the DS? Doubt anything's got two screens, but maybe a vertical screen orientation would help?

I imagine 3DS is still beyond the sub $200 consoles.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Any of these devices optimized around emulating the DS? Doubt anything's got two screens, but maybe a vertical screen orientation would help?

I imagine 3DS is still beyond the sub $200 consoles.

I dunno how much this is but he had good luck with DS on this thing.

https://youtu.be/wUs0gHl0K74

The DS stuff didn’t look half bad honestly.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Just get a gamepad for your smartphone. I tried DS emulation on an 845 phone it ran just fine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm on iphone

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Ok get an android device that has touch screen, because you want to have the touch screen to fine tune the size and position of the two DS screens.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Ok get an android device that has touch screen, because you want to have the touch screen to fine tune the size and position of the two DS screens.

That’s what that powkiddy machine I linked is.

It’s also $150.

That’s probably about the best you’ll do for a machine with that screen size.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly a second hand DS and a flash cart would be pretty cheap

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Might be against the spirit of this thread, but before you spend $100+ on an Android device to play DS games, you could check out Craigslist or FB for a used 3DS. Homebrew is easy to install and will let you run backups. The DS and 3DS really benefit from original hardware, imo.

^^ or see above

loopsheloop fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 12, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

loopsheloop posted:

Might be against the spirit of this thread, but before you spend $100+ on an Android device to play DS games, you could check out Craigslist or FB for a used 3DS. Homebrew is easy to install and will let you run backups. The DS and 3DS really benefit from original hardware, imo.

^^ or see above

Heck if you are only going to use it for DS games you don't even need to hack it, DS flash carts will load up just fine without any alterations on the 3DS side(as at least for modern models they work by tricking the system into thinking its a specific real DS game)

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Gonna add my hat to the “get a DS Lite and a flashcart” camp. It’s easily the best way to portably play DS and GBA games.

The R4i Gold (DS flashcart) supports save states too, so there’s no real loss there. The EZ Flash Omega (GBA) has a DS Lite size shell that you can pop on to make it flush with the Lite too. They’re more expensive than your run of the mill clone R4, but if you just want to play the games and don’t need save states, you can get an R4 for cheap and an EZ Flash IV for cheap too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was gonna get a 3DS right before Covid but decided to wait a bit. Last I checked prices have shot up since.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Just checked eBay and the 3DS XL is going for $150 - $350 depending on model. Seems pretty reasonable really.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

You could get them for about that much new at the time

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
PSA for anyone as dense as me, you can indeed run homebrew on a new 3ds xl, you just have to remove the back of the unit to access the micro sd card!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Can confirm I sold my 3DS XL a few months ago for a lot more than I was expecting to.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

remigious posted:

PSA for anyone as dense as me, you can indeed run homebrew on a new 3ds xl, you just have to remove the back of the unit to access the micro sd card!

You don't even need to do that unless you're upgrading your card. You can access and modify the entire filesystem over LAN.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
GameStop sells used/refurbished ones semi-regularly.

https://www.gamestop.com/consoles-hardware/3ds

Right now there are some 2ds available, they’re solid little machines as long as you’re fine with them not folding.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Walla posted:

Just checked eBay and the 3DS XL is going for $150 - $350 depending on model. Seems pretty reasonable really.

I’ll hard disagree with that.

Check Facebook market place though their prices should be cheaper.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/RetroGameCorps/status/1437118311649529857

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Is there a pro/con breakdown to using one of these 3p consoles as opposed to jailbreaking a vita?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

All of these devices are the "same" in that they only require good specs to run games well. The Vita can handle everything before the PSP (excluding the DS) pretty well, and then it runs PSP natively and you can inject PS1 games into others...or something like that.

The RG351 series definitely feels better, though. I'd definitely get the RG stuff over a Vita unless I cared a lot about PSP and PS1 specifically.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

LODGE NORTH posted:

All of these devices are the "same" in that they only require good specs to run games well. The Vita can handle everything before the PSP (excluding the DS) pretty well, and then it runs PSP natively and you can inject PS1 games into others...or something like that.

The RG351 series definitely feels better, though. I'd definitely get the RG stuff over a Vita unless I cared a lot about PSP and PS1 specifically.

just want to note that for my standards the vita sucks at snes. stuff is absolutely playable, but you'll get some kind of occasional hitch in a lot of games

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

just want to note that for my standards the vita sucks at snes. stuff is absolutely playable, but you'll get some kind of occasional hitch in a lot of games

I agree with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Wait wait wait. This is Anbernic version of "Odin"? Going by model number is 5.5"? What the soc?

I guess the handheld emulation world is ready to embrace android for the next hardware cycle?

I hope somebody make a 4-4.5" version, I need something smaller than the PSP size.