Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
First kommando done. These are fun. They're going to have random outfit colors, this was the first idea
Trying to get better at painting by not using washes on this and I'm happy with how I'm doing. Takes forever but it's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

punishedkissinger posted:

how do i freehand lines better?

Sharp brush, get the right paint consistency, going back and correcting mistakes (even really good freehanders do this a lot), practice.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

how do i freehand lines better?

Using artist inks help. They're very fluid and pigment dense, so you don't need to press hard with the brush to transfer the paint to the model.

Sharp brushes help of course. Make sure you have a nice point before applying the paint.

You can use flow improver on regular acrylic paints to make them more fluid. With this method I would recommend dabbing your brush onto a paper towel before writing, so you don't end up pooling paint onto the model.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Here is a album of the close up pics of the nights watch plus a little sneak peek of the next mini to be painted. It's a bit busy but since it was sourced from 100% reputable seller I'm not concerned if it doesn't work out.

https://imgur.com/a/EQJs01U

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Your Nightswatch are fuckin rad and they make me want to start collecting them.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

AndyElusive posted:

Your Nightswatch are fuckin rad and they make me want to start collecting them.

Thanks, but don't be like me and get a add on unit. The start collecting boxes are more expensive but you get 47 minis for 110 syrup dollars and contains unique mini's like Jon Snow and Ghost.

You will get sick of black before you finish all those.

Oh and watch Duncan Rhodes video on these guys. Mine would have look so much worse if hadn't had this on in the background.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsOiJlnpYmM

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 7, 2021

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Decided to try out some contrast paints to get this bomb squig out quickly, where I basically just used them as washes. Then did some highlights and glazed them smoothly.

Still have no idea what I'm gonna decorate the bases with or just leave them like that.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

The Moon Monster posted:

Sharp brush, get the right paint consistency, going back and correcting mistakes (even really good freehanders do this a lot), practice.

Yeah, it helps watching some youtube tutorials. I also started out thinking that I had to get everything perfect with the paint I'm using for the details. Turns out, a much easier way to get crisp lines is to go back and forth with the background paint, covering up mistakes and uneven lines, until you have some nice sharp edges and lines. Like on those stars on the robe, that's super hard to get clean star points with a brush on the first go. But if you were to go back with the purple, it'd be so much easier to draw some lines along the sides to make the points actually pointy and sharp.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I've started on my first mini, that'll be painted with nothing but oil paint, after having washed Marco Frisoni's videos a bunch of times. It's certainly an experience! I constantly smudge the paint, because I'm used to the paint drying almost instantly, so I've wasted a lot of time on this. I also have to figure out how much to thin these toothpaste consistency paints, and how much to apply to the mini.
This is also my first real attempt at NMM, that's definitely much easier with oils.
The photo is pretty out of focus, but I'm only missing painting the skin before I move on to another mini.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
thank you all for the terrific advice. going to try and edge in those crosses today and really clean them up.

on another note, finding female figures that arent cringe has been pretty difficult. any manufacturers who are particularly good about not making every female mini overly sexualized?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

on another note, finding female figures that arent cringe has been pretty difficult. any manufacturers who are particularly good about not making every female mini overly sexualized?

https://badsquiddogames.com/

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Duncan launched his paint kickstarter. 180$ for 60 bottles for the first 72 hours.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transatlantisgames/duncan-rhodes-painting-academy-two-thin-coats-paints/description

Looks alright but I’m drowning in paints as it is :v:

Also I’d be worried that if I fell in love with a colour it would be difficult to get more (unless this turns out to be a smash success and goes to retail)

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 7, 2021

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

thank you all for the terrific advice. going to try and edge in those crosses today and really clean them up.

What kind of theme of female figures? I've found that Reaper has a bunch of pretty good, non-cheesecakey female figures (and some really bad ones). There are also a bunch of good ones made for Frostgrave.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 7, 2021

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

You might also consider oils, since the long drying time would let you blend and clean the shapes better than acrylics. Not interacting with your base acrylic layers also means you can run a dry brush along the sides to clean/feather/sharpen shapes without worry

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Winklebottom posted:

Duncan launched his paint kickstarter. 180$ for 60 bottles for the first 72 hours.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/transatlantisgames/duncan-rhodes-painting-academy-two-thin-coats-paints/description

Looks alright but I’m drowning in paints as it is :v:

Also I’d be worried that if I fell in love with a colour it would be difficult to get more (unless this turns out to be a smash success and goes to retail)

DEATH DOOM BLACK

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

lilljonas posted:

What kind of theme of female figures? I've found that Reaper has a bunch of pretty good, non-cheesecakey female figures (and some really bad ones). There are also a bunch of good ones made for Frostgrave.

Fantasy type. I have an order in for the Frostrgrave female mooks which i'm looking forward too. I honestly haven't had great luck looking through Reaper for this, but I have been trying to stick to Bones Black and Bones USA so maybe I'm missing some decent metals.

BULBASAUR posted:

You might also consider oils, since the long drying time would let you blend and clean the shapes better than acrylics. Not interacting with your base acrylic layers also means you can run a dry brush along the sides to clean/feather/sharpen shapes without worry

This sounds good. Would be a good excuse to break out the oil set I haven't used yet either way.

Should I be concerned about having thinner on my nice brushes? I really baby my kolinskys (vigorous application of brush soap after each use).

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Fantasy type. I have an order in for the Frostrgrave female mooks which i'm looking forward too. I honestly haven't had great luck looking through Reaper for this, but I have been trying to stick to Bones Black and Bones USA so maybe I'm missing some decent metals.

It's a small line and metal, but Reaper's Dungeon Dwellers line has some decent ladies

https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/dungeondwellers

Dark Sword miniatures has some too, but also some yikes ones.

My go-to for fantasy minis is Stonehaven. Some of the sculpts are a bit static and boring, but when there's ba good sculpt, it's a damned good sculpt.

Bad Squiddo has some fantasy ones too.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
One of the other things to keep in mind when you're freehanding in general is that you want to work relatively quick and decisively. You can make a couple strokes above the surface of the model to psyche yourself up and get the muscle memory of what you're shooting for, but quicker strokes will be cleaner and less shaky.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
When I did that freehand for Solaire's tabard I drew out the pattern on a piece of paper. Each line was broken down and I figured out what brush stroke is needed for each part. Then I mixed black ink and black paint, got a nice sharp tip on my brush, got just enough paint on the brush by wiping off excess on the back of my hand, and did it with one brush stroke for each part. I'm really happy I got it in one take as trying to touch it up with yellow would have been a massive chore.

The parts about being precise with a brush are impossible to explain over text, and also really hard to teach in person too. Trust me, I do this kinda stuff for work as a teacher. So yeah, brush control is practice and just figuring out which motions work best for the way you hold a brush/pencil/tool.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
If anyone wants to use the Scale75 soiled snow be warned it shrinks significantly from the initial amount you put on. And thanks if you go to thin it gives a thin sheet of ice over the ground than snow. It's a cool effect but doesn't look like piles of snow. Mixing some of the white powder and fluffing it up while it dries helps.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Just finished up my scarabs.

Probably not that exciting, but for simple little guys they had a surprising amount of fine detail.

Still feeling proud of every model and unit I finish!

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I might be blind, but did we discuss the Duncan Rhodes new paint line kickstarter?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I might be blind, but did we discuss the Duncan Rhodes new paint line kickstarter?

You are blind, it's on this page (watch this be a snipe) :)

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Any good recommended US stores to buy Vallejo Metal Colors from? I’d use Miniature Market but they seem to have been OOS on almost every color I’ve tried to get lately.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Crackbone posted:

Any good recommended US stores to buy Vallejo Metal Colors from? I’d use Miniature Market but they seem to have been OOS on almost every color I’ve tried to get lately.

michigan toy soldier

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Duncan’s paints got a mention About a dozen posts up.

It seems like he’s going to make some money! AUD450k already.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I feel like it's a hard sell because anyone who knows his name probably already has a set of paints.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Eej posted:

I feel like it's a hard sell because anyone who knows his name probably already has a set of paints.
”i don’t need these therefore I won’t buy them “ - a thing some some hobbyists say, maybe

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I am not a fan of the idea of backing a line of paints with no real information or reviews out on them. There's no shortage of good paint lines these days, so jumping in on an unknown seems like a weird move. Hope they turn out good though!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Eej posted:

"My painting sucks, it must be because of my paints, let me try using these paints that Pro Painter X use, maybe I'll improve" - thought by more than one miniature painter at some point in time, I guess

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I finished up this guy today:

The kit's from Miniature Scenery. I'm pleased! I tried to put some of my hours of watching insane Central European armor modeling YouTubers into practice, or at least as much as I could with just acrylics. Although MDF has its limitations, it's definitely a fun little kit, and it has about 250% more character than the Plagueburst Crawler it's almost hilariously obviously designed as a proxy for.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Giant Ethicist posted:

I finished up this guy today:

The kit's from Miniature Scenery. I'm pleased! I tried to put some of my hours of watching insane Central European armor modeling YouTubers into practice, or at least as much as I could with just acrylics. Although MDF has its limitations, it's definitely a fun little kit, and it has about 250% more character than the Plagueburst Crawler it's almost hilariously obviously designed as a proxy for.

That's a fun model! Bonus points for being called the Ursula. You were right to make it part of your world.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
x-post from 40k, Artel W Chaos Sisters finished:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Cinara posted:

I am not a fan of the idea of backing a line of paints with no real information or reviews out on them. There's no shortage of good paint lines these days, so jumping in on an unknown seems like a weird move. Hope they turn out good though!

Duncan is the painting Messiah to a lot of GW fans, so they will absolutely take his recommendation and buy a whole new paint line.

The fact he has structured it the same way as Citadel paint and is using similarly weird names is to keep them firmly in their comfort zone.

The only real surprise is that it isn't rebranded paint but a new company launching their first product.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Very nice. Two questions 1. where did you get your bases 2. I've heard complaints with the number of pieces the artel minis come in. Did you find building them fiddly? Like for a model that small 13 pieces seem like a lot.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

x-post from 40k, Artel W Chaos Sisters finished:

They want to speak to your manager...ABOUT CLAIMING HIS SKULL FOR THE SKULL THRONE

Seriously though, very cool idea.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Gonna put out a rec for Eons of Battle on YouTube. I agree with a previous poster that they're very, very punchable, but also the content is genuinely good and they're decently funny.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya. That's me, I want to punch the EoB dude.

It's also because I binged like two dozen of their videos during a week or whatever of late-night YouTube couch surfing. While I found a few of his videos helpful, I mostly ignore them now because of their clickbaity titles.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Crackbone posted:

I've been having the same luck, so I actually ended up ordering from Sunward Hobbies from up in Canada. Of course, though, in a brilliant move I happened to order right before the long weekend, so they're just shipping it out to me today, and I can't really say how long it'll take to get to me.

At the same time, though, they had the colors I was looking for in stock, where places like Mini Market, Michigan Toy, Hobby World, and a few others didn't, so I'm at least able to get the paints I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

MasterBuilder posted:

Very nice. Two questions 1. where did you get your bases 2. I've heard complaints with the number of pieces the artel minis come in. Did you find building them fiddly? Like for a model that small 13 pieces seem like a lot.

Thanks! The bases are micro-art studios chaos bases. And nope they weren't bad to build at all. I thought they would be fiddly too looking at the pictures on the website but they were honestly easier and quicker to build than an equivalent GW plastic kit. They're the nicest resin kit I've ever seen, basically no cleanup needed at all.