Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

So what's the average incubation period for Delta? I'm curious when we'll start to see the inevitable labor day weekend surge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Rad-daddio posted:

the reason we don't have stuff like that in the USA is bc every crooked politician would be rock hard thinking of ways to sell/exploit/manipulate that information .

I have an electronic record of my vx.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Vernii posted:

So what's the average incubation period for Delta? I'm curious when we'll start to see the inevitable labor day weekend surge

24hrs to a week usually with some longer outliers. It's a lot t faster moving than the OG covid. Some people never become symptomatic in the same way however.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Vernii posted:

It'll be hard to distinguish from the "open all the schools full capacity" surge in a lot of places.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Say Neigh to the FDA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLtCBvKI_Mc

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6998078138420890886

Fun times, these.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

#icum threw me off

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Gonna be a looong time before staffing returns to anything like pre-pandemic levels given the extreme trauma and burnout this generation of frontline HCWs is experiencing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
"save yourself" because you antivaxx smoothbrains clearly don't give two shits about anyone else you loving ignorant slobs.

Anyway, this is fun:

https://twitter.com/jeek/status/1434693778246340610?s=19

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 7, 2021

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Darwin approves. :discourse:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm not even a healthcare worker and I feel like we're all going to have our empathy drives severely emptied out after this whole debacle. It becomes difficult to keep caring about people you don't know as you continue to learn more and more every day that a sizable portion of them like to juggle molotov cocktails at house parties despite not being any good at it, and then want to sue the house owner when they get burned

I can't imagine how any healthcare worker has not quit their job by now

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Good thing they avoided taking the vaccine, wouldn't want them to get sterilized or anything. :downs:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

I'm a front line worker but that is horrifying. I can't imagine. One of my coworkers was out for 10 days due to covid and he was like "Im just glad to be alive".

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I can't imagine how any healthcare worker has not quit their job by now

I said this in like October 2020, and they’re still going lol

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Fun times, these.

This is terrifying, and I can't understand why there's nurses and health care workers that are like "uh actually, we don't want to get the vaccine".

loving christ.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
i hope they're all at least pointing and laughing at unconscious ventilator chuds while they do the rounds. You gota find joy in the little things

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

old beast lunatic posted:

i hope they're all at least pointing and laughing at unconscious ventilator chuds while they do the rounds. You gota find joy in the little things

I imagine it was probably fun to laugh the first few times.

A year later and still more or less the same problems, though...

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

This is terrifying, and I can't understand why there's nurses and health care workers that are like "uh actually, we don't want to get the vaccine".

loving christ.

A good brain wash overrides all.

Brain wash
Sheep Drench
?
Prophet

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Nelson Mandingo posted:

But seriously....I......it's cruelty, and I own up to it. But I'm glad these idiots are killing themselves. I'm glad. gently caress them. This isn't something like not smoking or eating only healthy or whatever. It's just two very basic things. Wear a mask while in public. Get your vaccination. It's easy, and effortless to do, and everything goes back to normal. It's just pathetic. Beyond pathetic. Your ego is your only real enemy in this life and not admitting you're wrong or being contrarian to own some nebulous political entity or satisfy an ideology is some serious low IQ poo poo.

even if like 99% of people got the vaccine wouldn't there still be variants due to the waning 6ish month efficacy? I mean you're never going to get 100% vaccination rate so I don't see how that's even a possibility to plan for and get upset about when it doesn't happen

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

g0lbez posted:

even if like 99% of people got the vaccine wouldn't there still be variants due to the waning 6ish month efficacy? I mean you're never going to get 100% vaccination rate so I don't see how that's even a possibility to plan for and get upset about when it doesn't happen
Less viruses = less variants

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
Phew!

Good to see astrazenica have planned for every outcome!

quote:

Writing in the Telegraph, Mr Soriot and senior colleague Sir Mene Pangalos said: "A third dose for all may be needed, but it may not.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...on-nhs-12401704

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

numbers have been pretty low where i live throughout all of this but i have a feeling thats about to end

https://globalnews.ca/news/8171821/ubc-students-covid-indoor-frat-party/

luckily our double vax rate is really high and people *mostly* follow public health orders

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

g0lbez posted:

You would be right, but the vaccine effectiveness is only going to further increase. How many people do you know who have polio? It's possible to eradicate this virus if people get their loving free vaccine.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Nelson Mandingo posted:

You would be right, but the vaccine effectiveness is only going to further increase. How many people do you know who have polio? It's possible to eradicate this virus if people get their loving free vaccine.

with boosters or with better vaccines? if you think too many people aren't getting the vaccine then it's going to be even harder to get people on board for semi-annual boosters.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

g0lbez posted:

with boosters or with better vaccines? if you think too many people aren't getting the vaccine then it's going to be even harder to get people on board for semi-annual boosters.

There's a fair number of vaccines where you need multiple initial boosters early on, but after that you are good for quite a while if not life. For example the HPV and HEP-B vaccines are both given in 3 doses.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

It's really too early to know if and when boosters of the various vaccines will be needed. Most people have only had them for ~6 months and so far they still seem to be effective (at least the big 3 used in the US). Boosters won't hurt, and I'm sure they will get pushed because there are other strong motivators (money, the appearance of doing something) aside from efficacy. But it's unlikely that you will need a booster of the same vaccine every year for the rest of your life.

As new variants come out, new vaccines will be created and tested, so we may end up in a situation where you get delta vaccine/booster next year, and then mu 6 months after, etc. as long as the pandemic continues and the vaccines can be fast-tracked with emergency authorizations.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

numbers have been pretty low where i live throughout all of this but i have a feeling thats about to end

https://globalnews.ca/news/8171821/ubc-students-covid-indoor-frat-party/

luckily our double vax rate is really high and people *mostly* follow public health orders

Manitoba is a day or 2 away from getting to 85% of 12+ having a shot. I can’t blame kids for having a party, the idea that you need to stay home forever isn’t very marketable. My personal point will probably be a couple of months after kids can get vaccinated. I’ll keep wearing masks in certain places that is needed, but we can’t stay home forever because of the risk to unvaccinated.

*Unless a new variant that takes us back to square one appears, but that’s not happening. No chance.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

loving christ.

My wife does x-ray at a local heart hospital and they just had one of their doctors quit in the last month due to vaccine mandates. This place as well as it's doctors have a great reputations which makes it seem so strange, but I guess it doesn't matter the brains, skill set or reputations...there's idiots everywhere.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Kirk Vikernes posted:

My wife does x-ray at a local heart hospital and they just had one of their doctors quit in the last month due to vaccine mandates. This place as well as it's doctors have a great reputations which makes it seem so strange, but I guess it doesn't matter the brains, skill set or reputations...there's idiots everywhere.

Good.

Idiots may have jumped through the correct hoops earlier to land a job but at their core they are idiots now if they are avoiding the vaccine.

The companies are all onboard because this is the easiest and fastest way to get rid of some lovely employees.

It loving rules.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I can’t imagine what’s going through the heads of HCWs who have been watching almost exclusively unvaccinated people dying in droves, and still thinking nope, I don’t want that jab.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Zugzwang posted:

I can’t imagine what’s going through the heads of HCWs who have been watching almost exclusively unvaccinated people dying in droves, and still thinking nope, I don’t want that jab.

I’m special.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Zugzwang posted:

Narcissism

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

spunkshui posted:

I’m special.

Those who cry snowflakes, have since become them.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This whole push towards "natural immunity is the best defence against infection" is real fuckin' weird because in order to get antibodies "naturally" you need to have caught covid already. The secret to decreasing cases is ..... to increase cases????

https://twitter.com/MonicaGandhi9/status/1435223571878481927

Those who cry snowflakes, have since become them.

It was always projection. "I'm not the one throwing a tantrum out about this, you are!!"

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I heard you requested a COVID-positive rear end in a top hat to come with your "won't respond if you call us" here in Portland

https://www.opb.org/article/2021/09/07/portland-vaccine-mandate-police-bureau-exemption-city-officials/

Because it's not enough to call 911 and expect a gun-toting murderer to show up and shoot you anymore. Now we need easily preventable diseases to be added to the fuckin equation because those bitchass babies are too pussy enough to get a goddamn shot.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Covid killed more cops in 2020 than all other causes of death combined, so, lol at them rejecting vaccine mandates.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Catastrophe posted:

I heard you requested a COVID-positive rear end in a top hat to come with your "won't respond if you call us" here in Portland

https://www.opb.org/article/2021/09/07/portland-vaccine-mandate-police-bureau-exemption-city-officials/

Because it's not enough to call 911 and expect a gun-toting murderer to show up and shoot you anymore. Now we need easily preventable diseases to be added to the fuckin equation because those bitchass babies are too pussy enough to get a goddamn shot.

No this is a good thing.

Terrible people might have been forced to get the vaccine in order to keep their high-paying job.

Now they will just die.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This whole push towards "natural immunity is the best defence against infection" is real fuckin' weird because in order to get antibodies "naturally" you need to have caught covid already. The secret to decreasing cases is ..... to increase cases????

https://twitter.com/MonicaGandhi9/status/1435223571878481927

It was always projection. "I'm not the one throwing a tantrum out about this, you are!!"

You use a nuke to vaporize the forest. There's then no tree to catch fires in wild fire season.

(Also you have to use follow up nukes to nuke the plants/weeds that grow within days or even hours of the soil cooling down because first adopter species are agressive. Maybe salt and pave the area too)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

:buddy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmADQYJe6ZY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Hey, remember when we were worried about murder hornets and the Australian wildfires?

Those were the days.