Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Alaois posted:

i just finished a 12 hour Oblivion retrospective video and i don't know if i would recommend it but i enjoyed it well enough
It should be bannable to post this without mentioning that it's titled "A quick analysis".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

It should be bannable to post this without mentioning that it's titled "A quick analysis".

its a sequel to his 8 hour long Morrowind retrospective, also titled A Quick Analysis

the names are tongue in cheek

he also has a video called A Serious 50 Hour Analysis of Cyberpunk 2077 thats 25 minutes long

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Same but the Anhk vs Eiji beach fight from OOO.

Well that's heated drama between men, peak kino.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

DoctorWhat posted:

Well that's heated drama between men, peak kino.

Just two guys romantically fighting to the death over their ideals.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

What's better than this? Just guys being bugs.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The only thing that could be better is if Toei finally like them just kiss instead of constantly building romantic attention for a whole season.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I prophecy that whenever gay marriage gets legalized in Japan they'll bring Ankh back for real.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Alaois posted:

its a sequel to his 8 hour long Morrowind retrospective, also titled A Quick Analysis
it's a funny joke

cult stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eM7pb5M5DU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Came across a really well researched, put-together, and told gaming history video series that plans to document every single playable woman in video games in the 80s. According to the mission statement video, across 8000+ video games released in the decade, there were only 84 playable women.

First full video came out today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHYXAoUQ_LI

(It's age-restricted bc,,,,, the first playable women were naked and there's titties abound)

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

riderchop posted:

Came across a really well researched, put-together, and told gaming history video series that plans to document every single playable woman in video games in the 80s. According to the mission statement video, across 8000+ video games released in the decade, there were only 84 playable women.

First full video came out today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHYXAoUQ_LI

(It's age-restricted bc,,,,, the first playable women were naked and there's titties abound)

Ooh good find, especially since the channel is so small.

There's actually a video before that one that goes over an earlier playable woman, but unfortunately there are apparently zero screenshots of that game, only descriptions of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRyAjI1mXVY

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

GigaPeon posted:

Heh. You’re probably right. I think I lucked into a couple puzzle solutions so I never got fatigued setting stuff up so it was “a ride” from start to finish.

I wonder if the guy thought up the story first and tried to figure out a way to tell it, or if he came up with the concept of a time loop bottle episode first and it took him to the logical conclusion of imaginary incest baby

I feel like it's someone trying to solve the problem of telling a story with shocking twists and turns with a very limited cast set over a short period of time.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Techmoan, old dude audiophile who makes videos on all manner of (old) audio tech, takes a look at a novelty k-pop cassette player that has blue-tooth functionality. It does look pretty cool, but quality-wise its exactly what you'd expect out of a novelty cassette player. He also compares it to the other personal cassette players on the market today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90-gIAMvQNs

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I feel like it's someone trying to solve the problem of telling a story with shocking twists and turns with a very limited cast set over a short period of time.

Isnt that Steven Moffett's gimmick? No matter where the Doctor ended up the metaplot always revolved the same 2.5 people.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yes because the "metaplot" was just... the relationships between the main characters.

Moffat came up through sitcoms. Sitcoms don't have cosmic metaplots about outside agitators and interstellar warlords, they have stories about what the characters mean to each other.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Archer666 posted:

Techmoan, old dude audiophile who makes videos on all manner of (old) audio tech, takes a look at a novelty k-pop cassette player that has blue-tooth functionality. It does look pretty cool, but quality-wise its exactly what you'd expect out of a novelty cassette player. He also compares it to the other personal cassette players on the market today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90-gIAMvQNs

I can kind of understand the appeal of wanting to listen to music on vinyl but I don’t see the appeal of tapes. Minidisc is more of a novelty.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Isnt that Steven Moffett's gimmick? No matter where the Doctor ended up the metaplot always revolved the same 2.5 people.

I mean Doctor Who has always had the excuse of using a time machine who somehow knew where he would need to be next.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

:drugnerd: look inside a mushroom lab :drugnerd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJVXAALRfRo

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Dorktown Presents - The History of the Atlanta Falcons (Complete Series Playlist)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUXSZMIiUfFSzzgEL4N9aYBXPmGVen3zW

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

No.1 Special posted:

Dorktown Presents - The History of the Atlanta Falcons (Complete Series Playlist)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUXSZMIiUfFSzzgEL4N9aYBXPmGVen3zW

This is insanely good btw

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1435315922126970880

Here's something mildly uplifting for a few moments anyway. So the whole roster of QAnon, But For Movies all lined up to declare in unison that Shang-Chi would be the biggest box office disaster in the history of cinema, only for it to... break box office records in its opening weekend. They're now all getting dunked on by the entire internet after Simu Liu shined a spotlight on the giant gaping L they just posted.

All the usual suspects are here with their asses on full display; the Quarterman, the Film Drunk, Clownshoes TV, "an idiot with a microphone who used to own a comic book store", the internet's second-most hateable Jeremy, the weedy kid who started crying when Zack Snyder said he thought racism was bad, the 500 pound baby--the entire USS Enterprise of lovely men with web cams and YouTube accounts just got torpedoed into oblivion by a single Instagram post.

You love to see it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Of course this was always going to happen. MCU movies will always make money despite the :qq:purity of the articistic format:qq: whinging of certain kinds of poeple.

This poo poo, specifically this :qq:the womans and the minorites politically politicking my politics-free white bread movies:qq: poo poo, has happened before,

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releasegroup/gr3085718021/

multiple

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releasegroup/gr3492762117/

loving

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releasegroup/gr3458290181/

times

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/releasegroup/gr922309125/

in the last few years and these chucklefucks didn't learn a goddamned thing.

I mean, it's almost as if there are audiences other than your usual whypeepo, and enough people want to watch something other than WHITE PERSON TYPE 9 SUBSET B in the lead role for a change.

Why don't these loser-rear end bitches go have a crywank over Ghost In The Shell, with its white lead star being the only person in the universe possibly qualified to play one of us non-whites.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Wonder if they're gonna blame it on China market pandering or something.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

edogawa rando posted:

Why don't these loser-rear end bitches go have a crywank over Ghost In The Shell, with its white lead star being the only person in the universe possibly qualified to play one of us non-whites.

I seem to recall that movie being championed by these losers leading up to its release. They said it would totally blow some other movie they took issue with out of the water. Captain Marvel maybe? My memory is failing me. They certainly stopped talking about it pretty quick after it bombed.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Ariong posted:

I seem to recall that movie being championed by these losers leading up to its release. They said it would totally blow some other movie they took issue with out of the water. Captain Marvel maybe? My memory is failing me. They certainly stopped talking about it pretty quick after it bombed.

You're thinking of the dumb fringe that tried to create some kind of Battle Angel Alita vs Captain Marvel culture war thing

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah, that was it!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ariong posted:

Wonder Woman, maybe? They were in the same year, but Wonder Woman was the one that had the "get woke go broke" poo poo from these scrub-rear end losers.

Ghost in the Shell had a $110,000,000 budget, vs a $18,676,033 opening weekend, for a $169,801,921 world wide box office at the end of its run.

In comparison, Wonder Woman had a 149,000,000 vs $103,251,471 opening weekend, for a $821,847,012 world wide box office.

Captain Marvel also had the misogynist brigade screaming red-faced like the loser gammons that they are, but it came 2 years after.

It had a $160,000,000 vs. a $153,433,423 opening weekend, and made $1,128,274,794 world wide at the end of its original theatrical run. It's the second-most successful solo MCU movie, only losing to Black Panther in the solo film rankings, and the four Avengers movies overall.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

edogawa rando posted:

Wonder Woman, maybe? They were in the same year, but Wonder Woman was the one that had the "get woke go broke" poo poo from these scrub-rear end losers.

Ghost in the Shell had a $110,000,000 budget, vs a $18,676,033 opening weekend, for a $169,801,921 world wide box office at the end of its run.

In comparison, Wonder Woman had a 149,000,000 vs $103,251,471 opening weekend, for a $821,847,012 world wide box office.

Captain Marvel also had the misogynist brigade screaming red-faced like the loser gammons that they are, but it came 2 years after.

It had a $160,000,000 vs. a $153,433,423 opening weekend, and made $1,128,274,794 world wide at the end of its original theatrical run. It's the second-most successful solo MCU movie, only losing to Black Panther in the solo film rankings, and the four Avengers movies overall.

They're already beginning to trot out the same "Disney bought out theaters, cinemas running empty 'sold out' screenings" conspiracy theory for Captain Marvel to try and cover their asses this time too.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

nine-gear crow posted:

They're already beginning to trot out the same "Disney bought out theaters, cinemas running empty 'sold out' screenings" conspiracy theory for Captain Marvel to try and cover their asses this time too.

Yet they don't take the logical 'corporations are the true villain, full communism now' step.

Because they are dumb.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I only really remember people hating the live-action GitS pitch honestly.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

I only really remember people hating the live-action GitS pitch honestly.

That movie basically didn't just poison its own well, it was loving dumping cyanide into that poo poo. The best I've heard in its defence is "it's not that bad." I think it was Bennett the Sage, whom in his review video nailed exactly where that movie killed off any chance of doing anything interesting - the Mamori Oshii-directed 1995 adaptation had serious discussions about what it means to be a "person," with the main character basically trading in everything that makes her an individual for the sake of her job (which makes the scene where she's out on the town, and sees both another person and a mannequin with her face all the more significant).

Looking at the shithouse film in a vacuum divorced from the context of its release, there's a massive failure when it's revealed that The Major is actually an Asian woman, that was something that the film could have done something interesting with - she traded in everything that makes her a person, including her ethnic and cultural identity. That in and of itself isn't the issue, but the fact that they then did sweet gently caress all with the concept is.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Ibblebibble posted:

Wonder if they're gonna blame it on China market pandering or something.

its not even scheduled to come out in china lol. black widow also never came out, so IDK if they're just done with marvel or what it's sorta weird.

Free Guy is cleaning up at the Chinese box office, tho.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

TBF there's a lot of ethnic Chinese outside of China in Asia looking to get pandered to by the MCU.

Because I'm one of them. Probably not gonna watch much post-Endgame MCU stuff outside of Shang Chi and maybe the more fun stuff like Spider Man or Thor.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I find it funny that this turned out to actually be true for several Chinese theatre chains using it for money laundering, but never actually on Marvel movies. Those are poplar enough on their own. Nope the biggest offender for Chinese money laundering was the Warcraft movie.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Terrible Opinions posted:

I find it funny that this turned out to actually be true for several Chinese theatre chains using it for money laundering, but never actually on Marvel movies. Those are poplar enough on their own. Nope the biggest offender for Chinese money laundering was the Warcraft movie.

Do you have any sources about this you'd recommend? I'm pretty fascinated by the churn of barely-tracked money around film distribution.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

edogawa rando posted:

That movie basically didn't just poison its own well, it was loving dumping cyanide into that poo poo. The best I've heard in its defence is "it's not that bad." I think it was Bennett the Sage, whom in his review video nailed exactly where that movie killed off any chance of doing anything interesting - the Mamori Oshii-directed 1995 adaptation had serious discussions about what it means to be a "person," with the main character basically trading in everything that makes her an individual for the sake of her job (which makes the scene where she's out on the town, and sees both another person and a mannequin with her face all the more significant).

Looking at the shithouse film in a vacuum divorced from the context of its release, there's a massive failure when it's revealed that The Major is actually an Asian woman, that was something that the film could have done something interesting with - she traded in everything that makes her a person, including her ethnic and cultural identity. That in and of itself isn't the issue, but the fact that they then did sweet gently caress all with the concept is.

Here's the frustrating thing with the live-action GiTS movie; Someone on the production staff put legitimate and earnest effort into it. The movie doesn't just draw from the original film, they actually took the time to draw from Innocence (The sequel film), Stand Alone Complex, and the manga as well for source material, with a clear understanding of the setting and general worldbuilding. The casting is pretty good outside of Scarlett Johannson, the set designs, props, and costuming are legit great... and it's all just derailed by a script that's atrociously bad.

Ailumao posted:

its not even scheduled to come out in china lol. black widow also never came out, so IDK if they're just done with marvel or what it's sorta weird.

Free Guy is cleaning up at the Chinese box office, tho.

Did Free Guy turn out to be any good? It looked like a good bit of dumb fun and I'm always down for that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

All the usual suspects are here with their asses on full display; the Quarterman, the Film Drunk, Clownshoes TV, "an idiot with a microphone who used to own a comic book store", the internet's second-most hateable Jeremy, the weedy kid who started crying when Zack Snyder said he thought racism was bad, the 500 pound baby--the entire USS Enterprise of lovely men with web cams and YouTube accounts just got torpedoed into oblivion by a single Instagram post.

You love to see it.

My favorite of those is, of course, 'this movie will break records but ALSO flop' by the aforementioned Clownshoes even as I know what they were going for. The obvious answer is 'you're half right.'

I remember watching like half a video by the Critical Drinker who kept the mask on for that long and then realized he was just a Scottish chud. The dude always talks like he's very constipated. (Possibly from all the drinking.)

Seemlar posted:

You're thinking of the dumb fringe that tried to create some kind of Battle Angel Alita vs Captain Marvel culture war thing

It was a delight to watch them briefly trumpet a film about a woman resist and break free from the men in her life who want to control her, even as they thought it was for her own good, was somehow less feminist than the movie about a woman who is essentially a square-jawed action hero but female and for some reason that made them really mad.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

it's because in the second case they view being a square-jawed action hero but female as an usurpation of a traditional male role and therefore an attack on the social hierarchy; while in the first case, they recognise that she's trying to escape controlling men but within their misogyny this is acceptable as simply an escapist fantasy, because all stories of women escaping male control necessarily portray women in what they view as a traditionally female role: being under male control. imo.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
It doesn't stop being amusing that there are people stupid enough to think a Marvel movie will do badly. Its the McDonalds of movies, poo poo's gonna make money regardless of what they serve up.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Ghostlight posted:

it's because in the second case they view being a square-jawed action hero but female as an usurpation of a traditional male role and therefore an attack on the social hierarchy; while in the first case, they recognise that she's trying to escape controlling men but within their misogyny this is acceptable as simply an escapist fantasy, because all stories of women escaping male control necessarily portray women in what they view as a traditionally female role: being under male control. imo.

I think it’s less complicated than even that: their concept of the world stopped updating circa 1994, so in their eyes a Cameron-esque female action hero is the peak of empowering narratives for women, and anything else is ‘pandering’ that is actually secretly bad because Reasons.

(It should be said that characters like Alita and her precursors are great and it’s good they exist, just the idea that’s the One True Path of Feminism is ludicrous.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'll check out Shang Chi when it's available on streaming that doesn't require a 30 dollar fee. Enough word of mouth got me interested, which is more than I can say for most of the Marvel movies. That said, I hope this film puts Tony Leung's name in the mainstream and folks seek out his body of work. Also gets people interested in kung-fu films. The state of releases for them, even of Jackie Chan films, in the US is goddamn abysmal.