Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Idiot Kicker posted:

oh yeah I remember that degrassi where jimmy gets sars and passes it to the class

craig fakes the symptoms

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

McNugget Buddy posted:

Show her these Pfizer slides that prove that she doesn't have any antibodies

hey just for my own comprehension

for general immunity, it's normal for antibodies to spool down after vaccination and then spool up in reaction to infection, correct?

so it's ok and normal for your titers to decrease, but your body should produce more in the face of infection

but the problem with Delta is that you're specifically trying to arrest symptomatic infection (because symptomatic infection results in similar hospitalization/death as unvaccinated?) and Delta moves so drat fast that your body can't spool up antibody production

is this right????

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Petey posted:

i hate to do this but after being murdered with work (back to school!! lol) for the last 48 hours i'm 2200 posts behind, so i'm declaring thread bankruptcy, and if there is any actionable/pragmatic "you really need to know THIS" from the last few days i would appreciate a quick tl;dr either in the thread or via DM, tyvm friends

open biden

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Sunny Side Up posted:

for general immunity, it's normal for antibodies to spool down after vaccination and then spool up in reaction to infection, correct?

so it's ok and normal for your titers to decrease, but your body should produce more in the face of infection

but the problem with Delta is that you're specifically trying to arrest symptomatic infection (because symptomatic infection results in similar hospitalization/death as unvaccinated?) and Delta moves so drat fast that your body can't spool up antibody production

is this right????

more or less correct.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

whatever it takes
i know i can make it through
if i hold out
if i do
i know i can make it

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

this winter is gonna be nice and relaxing

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sunny Side Up posted:

is this right????

Not really to the last part, I don't think. There's still increased protection against hospital/death.

As I understand it, only antibodies will prevent the initial infection and Delta spools up fast enough that you'll likely get symptoms before your backup systems are online.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Solarin posted:

this winter is gonna be nice and relaxing

Winter is cumming

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

we where 10 years younger 2 years ago

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

genericnick posted:

Not really to the last part, I don't think. There's still increased protection against hospital/death.

As I understand it, only antibodies will prevent the initial infection and Delta spools up fast enough that you'll likely get symptoms before your backup systems are online.

i got a lib arguing at me that the israeli data was biased by the age of the people surveyed

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Increased protection against DEATH!!!

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

i believe there will be another golden age of gaming and i will be around for it if you try to deprive me of this you are my enemy

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Sunny Side Up posted:

i got a lib arguing at me that the israeli data was biased by the age of the people surveyed

brunch libs deserve anything that happens to them at this point unironically, so anyone still not treating this disease seriously will become an object lesson by the time mu fully gets into play

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

can chuds that have infected other people with Covid add "disease expert" to their CV?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tei posted:

can chuds that have infected other people with Covid add "disease expert" to their CV?
Disease speedrun champion

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

cr0y posted:

I'm scratching my head but I can't really think of a scenario where an effective vaccine creates MORE pressure for a immune escape variant compared to what would occur via natural immunity.

People change behavior premised on being effectively vaccinated.

During the Spanish Flu pandemic people got fined and even beat up for not wearing a mask and exhibiting risky behavior. During the COVID "pandemic of the unvaccinated", both of the right-wing flavors couldn't rip the masks of quick enough. Considering the vaccine is not sterilizing, that means more people (including vaccinated) infected => more chance of mutations selected by effectively circumventing the protection offered.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Dear SARS-CoV-2,
Please evolve towards infecting blue checkmarks.

Thank you in advance,
Pingui

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Isn't the entire Australia outbreak traceable to a single chud politician? Like some lady who's the equivalent of a U.S. state governor who refused to do poo poo about delta?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Steve Yun posted:

I've had a pet theory that a lot of the stories I hear of "the vaccine gives you COVID! My aunt got vaccinated and then she got hospitalized a week later!" stories are actually people getting infected by other people when they go get vaccinated

I have personally seen quite a few people that got vaxxed then admitted to the hospital for a chain of unfortunate events from the side effects. Almost always patients that would most certainly have straight up died if they got covid outright due to all the comorbidities.

antivaxxers are right, it's more harmful than it's worth. What next, you make it optional for vaccine but we have to do actual lockdown and masking in order to allow for safety amongst people at risk amongst of significant adverse reactions to the vaccine?!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Sunny Side Up posted:

is this right????

imagine you’re playing Starcraft

antibodies are like space marines

your memory cell response is the barracks

usually zergs come in and fight with your space marines and if you need more space marines your barracks will make more

this was all fine and dandy and your space marines were for the most part able to kill zergs that wandered into your base before they could cause damage to the buildings

delta variant is like what if the zergs made 200 zerglings and rushed your base all at once

your space marines have a higher chance of getting overwhelmed now and there’s a higher chance your buildings will take damage while you wait for your barracks to make more space marines

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

genericnick posted:

I mean... What a monster virus covid is if it can evade immune reaction just by being fuckoff fast.at reproducing and infecting the entire host.

There has to be a limit there where it's costing the virus something, some quality it lacks such as when antibiotic resistant bacteria strains get outcompeted in an antibiotic free environment because they are resource hogs and vulnerable to autophages.

If not then the inescapable conclusion would be that vaccines alone won't be enough to prevent... the spread of...

But??? Why aren't the authorities... Why aren't epidemiologists screaming about that?

Shouldn't that affect the response to the pan... I mean you can't let something like that become endemic? What the gently caress?

C-crack? Pppppping

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Steve Yun posted:

imagine you’re playing Starcraft

antibodies are like space marines

your memory cell response is the barracks

usually zergs come in and fight with your space marines and if you need more space marines your barracks will make more

this was all fine and dandy and your space marines were for the most part able to kill zergs that wandered into your base before they could cause damage to the buildings

delta variant is like what if the zergs made 200 zerglings and rushed your base all at once

your space marines have a higher chance of getting overwhelmed now and there’s a higher chance your buildings will take damage while you wait for your barracks to make more space marines

What is the Mu variant like in this metaphor?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

PostNouveau posted:

Isn't the entire Australia outbreak traceable to a single chud politician? Like some lady who's the equivalent of a U.S. state governor who refused to do poo poo about delta?

https://twitter.com/rizzizzy/status/1433379472544124930

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Yestersay work put out a memo saying they strongly recommend employees wear masks. Some rumblings from the hogs about it, but nothing really.

Until today when queen hog (my boss) came back to throw an absolute fit about her freedoms being infringed by this recommendation so now all the other piglets are squealing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

Mu-talisk rush

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Iron Crowned posted:

Lurkers

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Imagine what was going on the in sign language lady's mind having to translate that speech

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
q: what’s mu?

a: not much, dog, what’s mu with you?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Which variant is tanya from Red Alert?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sunny Side Up posted:

is this right????

Yeah after a few months the body stops cranking out the specific antibodies which leads to waning over time.

When the infection comes back in the future the longer term immune response kicks in such as memory B cells.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'm sorry that you're sad.

im not :twisted:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

cr0y posted:

I know this whole threads schtick is laughing maniacally into the void but it's only fun if we are laughing at actual reality instead of hypotheticals. Covid isn't smallpox, the fact that covid is *relatively* non-lethal is a huge reason we have piss poor vaccine uptake and people basically just ignoring it until it mames them. I don't know the exact number but an average person with 2 doses, let alone 3, is statistically unlikely to suffer from a severe covid infection. With the exception of kids, which I will agree is a loving tradgedy, this continues to be a pandemic of the ignorant and the impoverished (mainly elsewhere in the world but my heart really goes out to kids and kids of chuds that will never get the shot).

There's a million things that covid has and will continue to wreck and kill but this idea that we are all just sitting around waiting for death is not based in any factual reality*

* Speaking specifically for the US as I can't intelligently speak to the individual challenges other nations face.

I am in no way trying to deminish or be ignorant to how absolutely hosed everything is right now for a broad range of individual people's personal circumstances. I know kids are a problem, I know the immunocompromised are a problem, I know the 3rd world is a problem, and I know I am speaking from a relatively privileged position as a middle class white male in a 1st world country.

And if anyone reading this is in a seriously dark place and needs an ear or a meal or anything else that may be of help please free to message me privately.

A 1-1.5% fatality rate / 7-10% hospitalization rate for the unvaccinated is no big deal on an individual level. Extrapolated out over a nation of 330m people with a hair under half the population unvaccinated, it is utterly disastrous.

What's causing the brain issues in this thread, at least for me, is the number of people who are aware of this on one level or another but refuse to do absolutely anything to mitigate disease spread right now, especially masking which is a low cost, low effort, highly effective way to prevent disease spread.

People are just acting like we're done with this and that you can negotiate with a force of nature somehow.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 8, 2021

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Iron Crowned posted:

This guy. But with a nuke

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Looking back of the most unrealistic things about the Plague inc game is how the plague being detected / spreads leads to a response like lockdowns and travel shutdowns.

Instead in western nations it was get rid of lockdowns and also when can we book our next boomer cruise ship trips?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A 1-1.5% fatality rate / 7-10% hospitalization rate for the unvaccinated is no big deal on an individual level. Extrapolated out over a nation of 330m people with a hair under half the population unvaccinated, it is utterly disastrous.

What? Are you seriously claiming that 2 475 000 dead 16 500 000 hospital patients with long covid is a big deal?

It's just the cost of doing endemic.

Open. Biden.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Iron Crowned posted:

let’s say the Mu variant is the Protoss because they’re way more dangerous per unit but can’t make units fast enough to compete against the early game Zerg rush

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"

genericnick posted:

Hope some McKinsey gently caress grifted a few cool millions for coming up with the "endemic" formulation for doing the same thing we've been doing for twelve months.

I’ve worked with McKinsey consultants and that’s what they do best

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
It's an Endemnic not a Pandemic

Jeez!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

Yeah after a few months the body stops cranking out the specific antibodies which leads to waning over time.

When the infection comes back in the future the longer term immune response kicks in such as memory B cells.

I've seen people saying we're not likely to need boosters every 6 months for the rest of our lives because by like the 4th shot, your body goes "OK, well I keep running into this thing, maybe I need to keep the antibodies around for good"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

If you use "like" it's actually a simile