Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Odd question, is the amazon damage dealt with bows still broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mooseontheloose posted:

Odd question, is the amazon damage dealt with bows still broken?
bow zons are one of the worst classes still despite being something lots of people are interested in. Javazon is still good but lacking in mobility.

I miss when bow zons were considered okay a very long time ago.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Khorne posted:

bow zons are one of the worst classes still despite being something lots of people are interested in. Javazon is still good but lacking in mobility.

I miss when bow zons were considered okay a very long time ago.

Multishot with the buriza rocked cows way back when. Murdered so many cows with that and a nova+static sorc. This was pre 1.10.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How come they're considered one of the worst? The damage fall behind on higher difficulties or something?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Jimbot posted:

How come they're considered one of the worst? The damage fall behind on higher difficulties or something?
Maybe they're not actually the worst but they are probably D tier if we're being generous. Maybe B/C with insanely expensive gear. They're definitely the worst iconic archetype/build that was once ~B tier in the earlier patches.

Damage is a huge issue. Mobility is another. Tankiness is another. They're pretty much the embodiment of underperforming in pve.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 7, 2021

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
The gear needed is so drat GG just to be decent that you're better off playing most of the other classes.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Miss my zon with 08 gaze, WF, perfect SS, soul spur, and whatever other gear I forget now. I could just run to Meph or through WSK without much issue.

Took me forever in trades to get the sojs to trade for it all, most of which was probably duped, but it lasted until I quit sometime late in 1.10

latinotwink1997 fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 9, 2021

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I haven't played D2 in probably close to ten years, but planning to play D2:R upon release. I recall from my last play experience that I found the controls kind of clunky, largely in that you had to click around to move and then click again to attack, etc. Are there any control setups that alleviate this and perhaps use the keyboard, either for navigation or for attacking? I find the excessive left click aspect to be an annoyance, but also in my old age find that it causes a physical strain due to the repetitive action. I also read on previous pages about using a controller for playing and I'd be open to that if it's superior to the keyboard and mouse set-up that I currently have, but I don't own a controller (so please recommend one if the controller is the way to go).

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I haven't tried it myself but reviews suggest controller support for the pc is good and the reworked controls work well. Two skills lose some basic functionality with controller though: teleport and multishot. So you have to consider if you're going to be running either of those

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
by most accounts controller support is excellent

I think the cheapest controller option is an Xbox 360 controller, which should work with Windows out of the box and instantly

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Is it easy to switch back and forth from controller to mouse+keyboard while in game? Like if I wanted to go to town and sell stuff and manage inventory, presumably that is easier with mouse.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sand Monster posted:

Is it easy to switch back and forth from controller to mouse+keyboard while in game? Like if I wanted to go to town and sell stuff and manage inventory, presumably that is easier with mouse.

At least in the beta, you can switch back and forth seamlessly. And yea, the controller support is so drat good in this game.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
controller diablo. lol. just lol.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
have ye no decency. no respect for the craft. for the art. the heritage.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Smythe posted:

controller diablo. lol. just lol.

If it being ported to consoles helped d2:r get made, idgaf about the console peeps, but thanks.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Smythe posted:

have ye no decency. no respect for the craft. for the art. the heritage.

Diablo 2 heritage not hate.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mustached Demon posted:

Diablo 2 Durance of heritage not Durance of hate.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

yea it's this one.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I'm very curious to see how Uber Diablo will work on BNet. They're sticking to 75-125 SoJs sold, but no word on whether that is globally, per region or on a smaller number of servers like in legacy. 100 SoJs is a lot more in a post-dupe world on a more secure, closed BNet, but maybe it'll even out if they do it per region. That would make it a legitimate community event, where people would coordinate off-game to all be online and sell SoJs at a specific time.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

IIRC the event works currently per game server, and game servers include ladder and non-ladder, so there was always a huge source of old, duped, gambled SoJs.

Will be interesting how willing people are willing to part with them in the fresh economy, especially since they will be quite valuable.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
It might be my rose tinted glasses but I remember Diablo 1 on the PS was quite good and plenty of fun.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Mesadoram posted:

It might be my rose tinted glasses but I remember Diablo 1 on the PS was quite good and plenty of fun.

I am in the same boat.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Mesadoram posted:

I never played it, but a friend in high school showed me a glitch to get infinite money on it, which when my other friend in college was playing it I showed them and I was heckin cool.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Mesadoram posted:

All I remember is that it took up something like 10 memory card slots for one save

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

coelomate posted:

IIRC the event works currently per game server, and game servers include ladder and non-ladder, so there was always a huge source of old, duped, gambled SoJs.

Will be interesting how willing people are willing to part with them in the fresh economy, especially since they will be quite valuable.

Each realm was split into hundreds of game servers, though, which is my point. There were lots more duped SoJs back in the day, but conversely, only 1/100th of US West or EU or whatever was contributing to the count in your game at any given time. If they scale up SoJ donations to cover a full geographical region, suddenly 100% of EU players can band together through off-game channels to pick a time and place to walk Diablo. I was wondering if a) that is indeed the solution and b) how the numbers would scale, in that case.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Can someone explain the whole sojs sold to merchants system?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

codo27 posted:

Can someone explain the whole sojs sold to merchants system?

https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/%C3%9Cber_Diablo

the devs created an event in patch 1.10 that would cause "Uber Diablo" to spawn if a certain number of Stone of Jordan rings were sold to merchants

Uber Diablo would replace the first "super-unique" monster that the players spawn, so something like Corpsefire inside the Den of Evil

if you killed Uber Diablo, he would drop an Annihilus charm, which is a fairly powerful item for only taking up one inventory slot

the whole thing relied on selling SoJs to merchants because the history of D2 meant that there was a lot of them floating around as a consequence of duping and botting, and the devs wanted to create a way to convince people to willingly "destroy" their rings in order to crack down on the supply

presumably, since the economy in D2R is going to be "fresh", then keeping the Uber Diablo event exactly the same as it is will have a different context, because there won't be a lot of "excess" SoJs for people to give up

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I knew about the uber part, weren't there other ubers in some epic tristram gauntlet or something? The actual selling of the sojs was what I was wondering about though, like you just sold them to the NPC merchants? Seems like such a ridiculous thing to do but the reasoning makes sense

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

codo27 posted:

I knew about the uber part, weren't there other ubers in some epic tristram gauntlet or something?

"Uber Tristram" is different from "Uber Diablo" - it kinda sucks because the terminology is imprecise and confusing

Uber Diablo is the one that's triggered by selling SoJs to merchants, and spawns just the one guy, Uber Diablo, who drops the Annihilus small charm

Uber Tristram is the one where you need to farm drops from Andariel, Duriel, and Izual in Hell difficulty, and then when you put them together, it summons a portal to Uber Tristram, where you fight Uber Baal, Uber Mephisto and... Pandemonium Diablo. And you get the Hellfire Torch large charm as a reward. This is an event that a player can theoretically always access with enough time and effort, though it's also a much harder event that Uber Diablo, and the Hellfire Torch isn't quite as universally useful as Annihilus, because the +3 skills is towards a specific class, rather than "all skills".

codo27 posted:

The actual selling of the sojs was what I was wondering about though, like you just sold them to the NPC merchants? Seems like such a ridiculous thing to do but the reasoning makes sense

Yes, you just sold them to merchants. I figure it's something that the devs can watch for as an event trigger, while also making the SoJ completely unrecoverable (which is the point, remove them from the economy), without also needing to, say, code new NPC dialogue.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There’s less nomenclature confusion if you call the SoJ-spawned one “Diablo Clone”

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bawfuls posted:

There’s less nomenclature confusion if you call the SoJ-spawned one “Diablo Clone”
Yeah. The common way is to call it dclone & to call the uber tristram stuff ubers. Dclone gives anni and ubers drop torch.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

codo27 posted:

I knew about the uber part, weren't there other ubers in some epic tristram gauntlet or something? The actual selling of the sojs was what I was wondering about though, like you just sold them to the NPC merchants? Seems like such a ridiculous thing to do but the reasoning makes sense

Star Man wrote this in the OP posted:

Anyone that is familiar with Diablo II knows that the game is plagued (for better or worse) with duped items. Most of all, Blizzard knows this. In an effort to curtail item duping, Blizzard created Uber Diablo. Getting to Uber Diablo requires selling Stones of Jordan to the in-game vendors. As they are sold on a server, a message saying "x Stones of Jordan sold to vendors" comes up. Once enough Stones are sold, Uber Diablo will walk the earth and the screen will shake. To find Uber Diablo, you must be on a server that has spawned him (not the right realm, but the right host server's IP address). Uber Diablo will spawn in place of a super unique, so it's a matter of finding a super unique. Uber Diablo is a beefed up version of Diablo that will have the druid's Armageddon ability active. Otherwise, he fights the same as regular Diablo. Killing Uber Diablo will reward you with the unique small charm Annihilus. This is a very powerful charm with the following affixes:

Required Level: 70
+1 To All Skills
+10-20 To All Attributes (varies)
All Resistances +10-20 (varies)
+5-10% To Experience Gained (varies)

Uber Diablo drops only a single charm, so it's best to hunt for him in a private game if you are on a server that's about to spawn him. You can only have a single Annihilus in your character's possession and cannot store extras in your stash. For a time, trading an Annihilus was impossible through the trade window (you could still drop it and another player could pick it up), but trading it was enabled in 1.11 in 2005.

The Hellfire Torch is a similar item to the Annihilus and highly sought after. Getting one doesn't require being on the right server at the right time, but it is still a process to get one. As you play, you might come across special keys dropped by certain bosses. These keys open up portals to areas that will provide the keys to another realm where the Hellfire Torch can be obtained.

You will need three keys to open the portals. They are the Key of Terror, the Key of Hate, and the Key of Destruction. They are dropped by the Countess, the Summoner, and Nihlathak. It is best to get three keysets, because you will need three sets of keys to get all three organs in one run. Once you have the keysets, you can transmute then in the Horadric Cube in town in act V to open up portals to get the organs. Inside these portals are beefed up monsters and a boss that carries the organ. Lilith (uber Andariel) holds Diablo's Horn and is in the Matron's Den. Uber Duriel holds Baal's Eye and is in the Forgotten Sands. Uber Izual holds Mephisto's Brain and is in the Furnace of Pain.

Once you have all three organs, transmute them in the Horadric Cube to enter Uber Tristram. There you will find all three of the Prime Evils with very high stats and many powerful monsters. Defeat all three of them and a single Hellfire Torch will drop from the final Prime Evil killed and a Standard of Heroes for ever player in the game. The standard is nothing more than a trophy for your efforts, but the real prize is the Hellfire Torch, which has the following affixes:

Required Level: 75
5% Chance To Cast level 10 Firestorm* On Striking
+3 to Random Character Class Skills (varies)
+10-20 To All Attributes (varies)
All Resistances +10-20 (varies)
+8 To Light Radius
Level 30 Hydra (10 charges)

Hopefully it will roll the skill bonus for your class or one you play with. Otherwise trade it for something good. Like Annihilus, you can only have on Hellfire Torch on your character and cannot keep extras in your stash.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Wonder if they'll let you stash extra charms in your shared stash.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You imagine doing all that and wind up with the completely wrong class bonus. Needlessly cruel

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That's why you get a couple friends together, divide your efforts to farm keys, then kill the ubers together several times and collect a bunch of torches

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

codo27 posted:

Needlessly cruel

Have you played this game before?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

bawfuls posted:

That's why you get a couple friends together, divide your efforts to farm keys, then kill the ubers together several times and collect a bunch of torches

This, it's a community event.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
sorry star man you made a good OP, if only I was literate

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I decided to fire up D2 again in anticipation of Resurrected coming out and am definitely enjoying it again. Although I feel like I have been pretty lucky with drops so far which I know means I will get absolute crap once resurrected comes out. I just found a perfect Nagelring and 38MF blue ring going from River of Flame to Chaos Sanctuary lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is there a good rundown on what all is changing when D2R drops?

Like are all the legacy items on non-season battle.net about to get wiped out, like Valkyrie WIngs from 1.08?

And preferably something that isn't laced with people's commentary.