Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Whoa. Odin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Hardcore.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Juvenile common redstart

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

That bird is terrifying. Definitely an Old God there.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Some Heron content:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Slotducks posted:

Some Heron content:

:discourse:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Slotducks posted:

Some Heron content:

Sorbus posted:

Juvenile common redstart

good poo poo

...bushtits
Fennel Bushtits-5391 on Flickr

Fennel Bushtits-5426 on Flickr

Fennel Bushtits-5497 on Flickr

Fennel Bushtits-5435 on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Another picture of the redstart:

I have been trying to get a good photo of a black woodpecker since may but it is balls hard as they are very shy and very black, so I have a lot of photos of dark blobs with bright eyes.

MayI should invest in a bag hide.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Great Horned Owls by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Great Horned Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

White-throated Sparrow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Wilson's Warbler by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Some great work there, the sparrow is top notch really like the detailed feather textures and the owls are gorgeous.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I have been spending a lot of time with the backyard birds recently

Juncos

Nuthatches

Flickers

Hummingbirds might be my favorite

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Been visiting this one rowan nearby at least once a week to check if there's any waxwings visiting. Not quite but got some pics of fieldfares having a breakfast.

Sky is blown out to white but it was pretty dim so had to ramp up the ISO.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I could be wrong but don't cedar waxwings get 100% of their hydration from the berries they eat? I think I learned that playing Wingspan, they adapted the boardgame for PC, it's on Steam.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

I could be wrong but don't cedar waxwings get 100% of their hydration from the berries they eat? I think I learned that playing Wingspan, they adapted the boardgame for PC, it's on Steam.

I think that is mostly correct. From Wikipedia:

"Waxwings often drink water or eat snow in winter, since the sugar in their fruit diet tends to dehydrate the birds through an osmotic effect. In the summer, the fruits are juicier and water is less of a problem."

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Meal Time by B. B., on Flickr

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
This is great and I love it.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Really nice.

Owls always look so expressive!

We've had a wet year and the nearby park is covered in yellow flowers.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wildcat Yellow Warbler-6618 on Flickr

Gyuto Red Breasted Nuthatch-6300 on Flickr

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

This is a solid page of birds! I haven't gone shooting in a couple weeks now, maybe this weekend I'll see what's going on.

I finally got around to editing some of the Osprey shots - I'm really really digging this one

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

He looks like a protagonist contemplating a difficult journey ahead...very pensive, yet hopeful.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

He looks like a protagonist contemplating a difficult journey ahead...very pensive, yet hopeful.

".......fish?"

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I figure it's like at a wedding

"...I should've ordered the steak."

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

I love the colors on the yellow warbler photo!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Finger Prince posted:

".......fish?"

Slotducks posted:

"...I should've ordered the steak."

:hmmyes:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I have a backlog of images to edit.. so be prepared for me to spam this thread over the next few months.

Here's a couple of baby Noisy Miner birds. Noisy Miners are probably the world’s worst bird. They are a bird with no real purpose. An awful bird. They move into an environment, push out all the important smaller native birds (such as those that eat insects and tree destroying beetles) and kind of take over the place. They attack anything that happens to venture into their territory and just generally act like sugar water fuelled shits. They're a native Australian bird (need I say more) and so can't be illegally culled (since being native). They're a literal pest and over time end up making areas bland and dead in terms of bird diversity. The reason they’ve flourished in cities and regional areas is mostly because of tree/land clearing, gardens in suburbs with no low-level garden shrubs (for smaller birds) and an over planting of native flowering trees - which is their main food source.

But anyways, here's 2 inbred sacks of poo poo:

Here's a better bird. A nice and good bird. The Great Eastern Egret. This bird has a purpose and also looks elegant.

This is a Noisy Friarbird. An absolutely hideous bird, but still full of personality. It is, afterall, what's inside that counts. But in this case (like all honey eaters), it's sugar water and hate.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

toggle posted:

But anyways, here's 2 inbred sacks of poo poo:

How? HOW?

This looks incredible - the lighting, the contrast, the clarity of subject - how!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
^^^agreed

Some quick edits on photos from yesterday...

Wildcat Great Horned Owl-6831 on Flickr

Wildcat Oak Titmouse-6678 on Flickr

Wildcat Townsends Warbler-6716 on Flickr

Wildcat Barn Owl-6874 on Flickr

Wildcat Dark Eyed Junco-6880 on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Slotducks posted:

How? HOW?

This looks incredible - the lighting, the contrast, the clarity of subject - how!

Cheers! It's just the right amount of morning light. I shot between some branches to give it that vignette look too - then upped that a bit when editing.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Not been shooting many birds recently

Carrion Crow by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Sedge Warbler by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Juvenile Cooper's Hawk (or Sharp Shinned, I'm never sure)

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Ooh, nice lighting and composition here.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

drat, I'm jealous of how close you guys get to these birds - this is with a 600mm on a crop sensor.
As mentioned above - the last one is really great vibes

Here's my best Cooper's

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Here’s one (red tailed) I took over the weekend that was simply too close on a prime. I guess I’m violating some sort of crop rule for birds.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

DorianGravy posted:

Ooh, nice lighting and composition here.

Slotducks posted:

drat, I'm jealous of how close you guys get to these birds - this is with a 600mm on a crop sensor.
As mentioned above - the last one is really great vibes

Thanks! To be fair it was just luck. Was walking down a trail with suburbs and a drainage creek on one side and open fields on the other and spotted him on someone's fence on the other side of a drainage creek. Later on my way back turned around to look at the setting sunlight on the trail and there he was again on the field side of the trail. 600mm on all shots, full frame.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Nice!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Crazy day. I was out in my local park to look for birds and came up a few minutes after a hiker had interrupted an arson attempt. Luckily this was on a main trail and other people around and a guy was able to use our several water bottles plus some stomping to put out the fire before it had a chance to grow. The first witness saw the direction that the arsonist had gone so I went that direction and saw someone in a ski mask up the hill acting sketchy and ditching some clothes. I was able to get photos with my bird lens that were good enough for the cops to figure out who it was. They slurped my photos onto the laptop in one of their vehicles but couldn't open the .cr3 files, so they got a cell phone snap of the back of my camera and then I emailed them some exports when I got home.

During a follow up call an officer said "I don't know how many times I wish there was a bird nerd with a big camera around" lol.

tl:dr I missed seeing the Canada warbler.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Crazy day. I was out in my local park to look for birds and came up a few minutes after a hiker had interrupted an arson attempt. Luckily this was on a main trail and other people around and a guy was able to use our several water bottles plus some stomping to put out the fire before it had a chance to grow. The first witness saw the direction that the arsonist had gone so I went that direction and saw someone in a ski mask up the hill acting sketchy and ditching some clothes. I was able to get photos with my bird lens that were good enough for the cops to figure out who it was. They slurped my photos onto the laptop in one of their vehicles but couldn't open the .cr3 files, so they got a cell phone snap of the back of my camera and then I emailed them some exports when I got home.

During a follow up call an officer said "I don't know how many times I wish there was a bird nerd with a big camera around" lol.

tl:dr I missed seeing the Canada warbler.

You can convert raw to JPG in camera for them

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

A few from this summer:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Really nice stuff here ^^

jarlywarly posted:

You can convert raw to JPG in camera for them

I should probably look up how to do that! It's never come up before in all my years of dslr-having.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Really nice stuff here ^^

I should probably look up how to do that! It's never come up before in all my years of dslr-having.

Yeah it's essentially useless for hobbieists.